/cbg/

--/City Building General/--

Had a successful thread on /v/ a couple days ago, come in and show your support.

Post your current/old cities, give us a description of what you're trying to do, ask for help, and critique others. N00bs welcome!

If you see something you don't like, please contain your autism. Advice is encouraged, but keep in mind everyone has different goals and tastes.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=hungarian&id=406629464
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=749853704&tscn=1471897748
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'll be checking in from time to time to keep the thread alive. Bumping with some Cities Skylines content from the last thread

Bump

Bamp

Rural bump

I recommend you use this mod, when taking screenshots, because they look horrible.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=hungarian&id=406629464

is there a way to build lakes in skylines? I dug out a really cute one for my town but it always dries out. builing a canal into it just flooded my city and trying to pump water into it just filled it with poop and made everyone leave my city.

Yes I know, some of these are old but I have recently started using that mod

These two are taken at 250%

don't die on me

Try Extra Landscaping Tools.

Hmm I'm not too sure friendo, it just occured to me that I've never made a lake that wasn't part of a river.

The lake shouldn't dry out if it is below sea level, though. So you should be able to make one as long as it is somewhere that the land is not much higher than the coast.

Btw you can use the "set water to sea level" option that comes with the Extra Landscaping Tools mod to easily fill the lake.

Do you mean that he can create a water source? I thought this way the lake would continue filling until it overflows and floods everything.

i dug it down to the center of the earth and it still seems to dry out

Are you perhaps playing on a map where the water level is set to zero? You can change this with the Extra Landscaping Tools mod. Otherwise.. Iunno

Rural 2 bump

its just one of the default ones. ill download that mod and see if i have any luck

I just tried it out. I dug a hole, put in the water source and after a little time I removed it. After a couple of minutes it seems to me that the water remained there without the source, so it works.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you guys do stuff like this?

I can't afford anything unless all my buildings are cluttered up.

>I can't afford anything unless all my buildings are cluttered up

I play with all-unlocked and unlimited money

Might as well post what I'm doing now.

Here's the pic I posted last thread. This is my attempt at squeezing a 12 lane highway into the smallest area possible. Progress in next post

I added a little creek and connected the train line. I'm not sure if I like the tracks going straight over the creek like that, I might redo it and make the tracks follow the side of the hill more tightly.

Also connected this area to the regional interchange (left). I want to start working on the residential suburb around this connection, but I think I want to redo the industrial area (bottom left) that borders the suburb. Probably won't get around to it for a while because I don't have much inspiration at the moment.

Might move on to the other side of the highway and zone some housing on the side of the hill.

Bumpan.

Well, I just post some older screenshots. Nothing amazing, but I like them nonetheless.

Urban sprawl is making garbage collection in the city centre difficult, but otherwise things are running nicely.

Made the train tracks snake their way up the hill. I need to tweak it a bit, but so far I'm liking it more than before. The incline is really slight now, which is nice,

Comfy mountain nestled desu.

Looks nice, I like the little satellite towns.

Gotthardbahn/10

I like trains.

I really like trains.

Me too, Bro.

How can I make this beachfront more aesthetic?

Nice job so far, the city part is looking good. I would try making the beach skinnier, and maybe have the shoreline follow a straight(ish) line.

Also try adding some more concrete, so the whole beach is bordered by a walkway, maybe some car parks as well.

Or you could go road>grass>walkway. Make the walkway at the edge of the volleyball courts, and leave the gaps as grass.

I think it could also be interesting to have a bigger park at one of the ends of the beach. Like a few volley ball courts, a skate park and some grass area.

What happened to historical city building games? I want a new Ceasar game.

Illuminati bump

There were quite a few retro posts in the /v/ thread.

Thanks user, massive improvement.

Wow, looking good user! Did you try filling the gaps with grass? Also I think you should either fill in more of the under-water area with sand, or trim the sand away so it stops at the shoreline.

In landscaping tools, the last gravelly-looking icon is for sand (left click to paint, right click to remove)

My last old screenshot. Bumpan.

Nice. This user
Should try lining his walkway with trees. Probably palm trees, because beach.

>Probably palm trees, because beach
btw my favourite is the Canary Island Date Palm steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=749853704&tscn=1471897748

Comes with tall and short version

This is a free-flow port design with two entry points. You can enter from either side and reach any dock without stopping, and you can exit from any dock, and leave either side without stopping. (Left hand drive)

bumping with my shithole of a city, Hamanii.

Ah yes, I saw this great city in the last thread. Is it finished or you're still working on it?

it's unfinished, I want to start from scratch again though. but first I need to learn how to mod C:S and then make more slummy shanty towns and favelas to surround the utopian core of the cities

That and try and maybe model stuff like Peach Trees

Sounds cool. I always want to play these games but I'm just so bad and non-creative.

My pc cant run this game.

So I cant make vids on it sadly.

I think more shanty town areas would be cool. Like a real vast expanse of slummyness to contrast with the city.

Follow your dreams!

(1/2)
Cities are not people. But, like people, cities have their own personalities: in some cases one city has many different personalities -- there are a dozen Londons, a crowd of different New Yorks.

A city is a collection of lives and buildings, and it has identity and personality. Cities exist in location, and in time.

There are good cities -- the ones that welcome you, that seem to care about you, that seem pleased you're in them. There are indifferent cities -- the ones that honestly don't care if you're there or not; cities with their own agendas, the ones that ignore people. There are cities gone bad, and there are places in otherwise healthy cities as rotten and maggoty as windfall apples. There are even cities that seem lost -- some, lacking a centre, feel like they would be happier being elsewhere, somewhere smaller, somewhere easier to understand.

Some cities spread, like cancers or B-movie slime monsters, devouring all in their way, absorbing towns and villages, swallowing boroughs and hamlets, transmuting into boundless conurbations. Other cities shrink -- once prosperous areas empty and fail: buildings empty, windows are boarded up, people leave, and sometimes they cannot even tell you why.

Occasionally I idle time away by wondering what cities would be like, were they people. Manhattan is, in my head, fast-talking, untrusting, well-dressed but unshaven. London is huge and confused. Paris is elegant and attractive, older than she looks. San Francisco is crazy, but harmless, and very friendly.

(2/2)

It's a foolish game: cities aren't people.

Cities exist in location, and they exist in time. Cities accumulate their personalities as time goes by. Manhattan remembers when it was unfashionable farmland. Athens remembers the days when there were those who considered themselves Athenians. There are cities that remember being villages. Other cities -- currently bland, devoid of personality -- are prepared to wait until they have history. Few cities are proud: they know that it's all too often a happy accident, a mere geographical fluke that they exist at all -- a wide harbour, a mountain pass, the confluence of two rivers.

At present, cities stay where they are.

For now cities sleep.

But there are rumblings. Things change. And what if, tomorrow, cities woke, and went walking? If Tokyo engulfed your town? If Vienna came striding over the hill toward you? If the city you inhabit today just upped and left, and you woke tomorrow wrapped in a thin blanket on an empty plain, where Detroit once stood, or Sydney, or Moscow?

Don't ever take a city for granted.

After all, it is bigger than you are; it is older; and it has learned how to wait...

Oh my, how quaint! Is this OC?

This is an island from the first city I ever bothered to take screen shots of. A six lane highway comes in from the mainland, drops most of its lanes at the CBD, drops some more for the residential part, and continues onto another small island which is designated as a port.

Who are you that you do not know your history?

Oh, was this message built into SC2000? How do you make it appear?

Some impressive spaghetti from SC4 (not mine). I never did get the hang of RHW puzzle pieces..

ded dread

the library had a 'Ruminate' button, clicking it brought this up.

Great industrial complex. One thing I might like to see is a larger rail yard.

That's real fuckin neato

Compact 5 way interchange

Super compact 3 way interchange, connecting a nice neighbourhood

How do you get the points on your railways to be so smooth and lovely?

use the OP of the old citybuilding general
it may be outdated but it's better than nothing

Not him, but could be the work of the Sharp Junction Angles mod, or the Move It! mod

I did consider it, but wasn't sure if the links were still of any use. I probably won't make another one anyway, I am 90% of posts in this thread lol

have you tried contacting people that are in the old cbg steamgroup?
i'm just lurking vg, so i don't even know if they had one

I'm not aware of one either, didn't see a link in the old /cbg/ thread I found

Woah, a /cbg/.

Sparkly/10

And old, but I've got nothing new to show anyway. Thread will probably not survive too long anyway.

Looks good, nice parks and roundabout. I dig the little side roads following the onramp

Posting one more interchange

>tired skyline's happy feel
>want to create something authentically British and depressing

Rev up them mods.

Phew, I am all out of content

Bump

this is all fault of new shit generals and useless gemerals that consist of image bumps

I've never played any of these types of games before, where's a good place to start?

What is all fault? What are you referring to?

my first cbg game was cities skylines
i never had a passion for simcity when i was a kiddo

Veeky Forums getting faster and faster, and slower generals die

Well Cities: Skylines is probably at the frontier of building in terms of both realism and freedom. Great if you like to manage traffic, lots of mods to improve roads and add buildings. Fairly difficult to get a handle on the controls, though.

Sim City 4 was great, though I could never go back after playing Skylines. Grid-based system makes planning and building easier.

>Veeky Forums getting faster and faster, and slower generals die
Ah yes, it's unfortunate that this thread will be gone when I wake up tomorrow.

rate my 5 star motel

No mcdonalds/10

This is fucking fantastic. Thank you.

I really want to post this on /r/citiesskylines under the same title and see the reaction

didn't played cities skyline in a lot of time
>start game
>make a junction that I downloaded back then because I don't want to waste time on building one right now
>now I need to make a road connection to the highway
>don't have a premade one and don't want to waste time right now on build one
>it's nighttime and raining
>Can't see shit
>exit the game and don't play again.

SC4 is better

Should have made it "mötel"

>Jewish Banana
Kek

Huh, they actually seem to be digging it.

>Jesus fucking christ.
>"The Conductor"
do we have a problem?

nazi jokes aren't edgy anymore grandpa

>he thinks it's a joke

laughingadolf.jpg

>found a beautiful map to play
>it's an island with an underground road connection
>the outbound road is broken and not connected
>map author is aware of the problem but hasn't fixed it
>can't seem to fix it myself

bad times ahead

Cross The Line mod
80 tiles mod

Or just play true island map with only ports/harbors and air port. May need to use unlock all at first to get the harbor. People may also move in very slowly at first this way.

I've had mixed results with this though, the system seems to fuck up and people stop moving in for some reason. I think it's due to one of my mods

thanks fampai I'll try this

so i tried extra landscaping tools and it works, but it can also irreperably delete your map's rivers and oceans if you misclick with it. def back up your save.