Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast (Updated every other Wednesday):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jIk5EAWHCC8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ded edition

Post maps.

youtube.com/watch?v=jIk5EAWHCC8

How do you all feel about watching people make maps on Youtube? Do you think it helps your mapping skills or make you improve?

I've never tried, but I don't think it would help much.

Also, could you guys repost more of the demos that have been posted recently? I haven't gotten around to play any of your games and now finally have time.

Aimless impromptu map design. Spending an hour arbitrarily throwing crap down without thinking about how the space will be used.

That sums up my first few years with rpgm too.

Cannot deal with that voice.
I get it, you think you could voice-act anime, and that appeals to the target audience, but jesus christ.

oh shit I have today off from work so I'm just gonna watch football, eat snacks, and work on the game!
I'm doing a cool thing where you choose a person to go look for water with, and I'm thinking of making a system where depending on who you choose in these choices, they will help you at a certain major plot point

That's called a conditional switch.

oh that'll be a lot easier than just making 3 event pages with different switches

I'm sure you could make each of these choices add 1 to a per-character "Friendship" variable, then at the later plot point, the one with the highest score helps you.

Unless you mean an NPC you can help one time, in which case I'd go with the switch like the other guy said.

Is there a plugin that reintegrates the important third layer for mapping?
I just created a slight little gameplay demo of my game to test RPGM MV but I didn't know devs would straight out discontinue the three-layer mapping system. I am using events to pseudo-recreate the third layer but it overlaps with some event placement

>still can't find ancient dungeons: jungle tileset download
You'd think someone would've uploaded it by now.

Evening RPGMates,

What are you working on tonight?
I've not touched my game in over a week, broke the chain hard.
Trying to take it easy and focus on fun little stuff, came up with a little RNG Jousting minigame the player can bet on. Nothing fancy at all atm, not even animations.

What did i do wrong? Both have no state triggering and inflict 0 damage.

In each of the layers B and above, you can place 2 different things concurrently, a third will replace the older of the ones placed there. (Hope this is what you meant)

It's like my dad's Atari

15,000 subscribers, user

>My recorder offset my mouse at some point, so that was weird, but I hope it's not too disorienting!
UNPROFESSIONAL

I made a Minecraft video a long time ago, no tag, no description, that got like 500 views. I really need to start appealling to the 'impressionable preteen' crowd

I'm one of those 15,000. There are some good n00b tutorials. I try to channel my inner 13-year-old to appreciate the unnecessary US-dubbed-anime routine

You have to add the damage formula at the end.

sure but that would mean restricted replacement and you would fiddle on tilesets in order to have layer A placed on layer B and layer C placed on layer A and so forth.

It's the sports/video games problem. "Why watch these people when I can do it myself?"

I kind of get it, but things like art and Minecraft don't require the instinct, toughness and discipline of sports or action games. They're methodical. I could see myself watching competitive Melee, or CSGO, or a Minecraft tutorial, but not watching someone 'better' at Minecraft playing with his friends for an hour or two. It boggles my mind. If there's one thing I don't get about people born after '95, it's that.

Back in my day, yeah, you watched your friend or older brother play video games. But eventually, you did yourself. You transitioned. If you didn't transition, you found another hobby. I mean no offense to Let's Players or art streamers or whathaveyou - They have talent and feel like showing it off. I just don't get who this audience is, where they came from, or why they exist. But I probably need to start pandering to them.

Out of curiousity, what are yall planning on doing with your completed games?

Free download? Steam? Trying to make it big?

The first game is all about making an impression. Money comes later

I'm going to be releasing them free for the foreseeable future. Probably in this thread, anonymously. I'm still trying to get the hang of this making games thing, and I'll be nervous enough about showing off my work without a large audience or actual money on the line.

Maybe I'll try to get on Steam one day, if I ever make one of my dream games. Assuming it's not too lewd for that.

To absent threads

Ideally I'd like to charge a small amount, maybe $2, because though I don't plan to make a bunch of money out of it, the encouragement of going to buy a book via paypal and realising there's balance in there that'll cover it is great feeling.

My basis for this is music record sales, which still buys me the odd book or cable though I haven't released anything new in 4 years.

If i make it i'm gonna make it like 3 or 5$. Who wants to buy it is doing me a favor, who pirates it is still playing it so eh. Still some kind of advertising i guess.

Yeah I might put it online for something small but then put a link below where you can get it for free.

Play and if you liked it pay.

bump

It's going to be more like this. And it's going to be for different party members. At some point, the main character is going to go into a coma and you'll explore and fight inside her conciousness, and I'm thinking the person with the highest "friendship" rating will help you in a boss battle or something. I'm not sure what to do if there's a tie (as of now there are 3 other party members, but at the time of the event there will be 5 others)

hey guys

bump to you too

and you too buddy

Time to die

>implying I haven't been dead inside for years

>tfw you SUCK at giving original names to creatures

Give me some creature descriptions and I can fire some aesthetic names at you

A creature without a proper shape that's supposed to be "remnaints of time" that remained in a certain era. Though this one fits better for a "describing name" such as Time Constriction or whatever.

A huge and greatly decorated vase possessed by a demon.

A coffin that in reality is a skeleton taking the shape of it

A small monkey composed by vines, leaves and roots.

Again i repeat i'm not good at names. These are unrelated to the ones i listed but you get the point.

Here's some name ideas to get the juices flowing for you. I'll do some general ones and ones kinda like your pic related:

>remnants of time
-Paradoxical Keeper
-Era Fragment
-Lost Minute
-Anachronism (google it)

>Possessed Vase
-Gourdian
-Hellish Pithos

>Skeleton Coffin
-Marrow Coffin
-Bone Warden
-Cemetarian

>Plant Monkey
-Lemuroot
-Primal leafoid

Feel free to use or change those names around if any struck your fancy

Marrow Coffin and Primal Leafoid are awesome so i changed Skeleton Coffin and Plant Monkey to those. I'm embarassed that my game has so many dragons but Cemetarian sounds good for an undead one.

The ones you made for the remnants are all awesome so i decided to keep them all for various stronger and stronger enemies, while using Lost Minute for its original purpose.

Glad I could help.
Godspeed user

Post elements

just going with boring old standard Fire, Ice, Water, Thunder, Earth, Air, Holy, Dark.
Keeping that part simple as I have other complex things going on in the battle system.

The PS1 version gives you 3. I went with Holy, Soul, and Chaos.

I generally stick with the standard fire/ice/earth/air stuff, unless I'm doing something unusual with the setting.

I've been bumping the wrong thread.
God dammit.
WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SOONER

Last for" Make Sure You Include /rpgmg/ In The OP."

>Thunder
So like... loud sounds?

Why are there so few battler artists these days?

I've seen elements based on human senses:
Aroma, Sound, Vision, Flavor, Touch/connection, and Dream/Illusion
But they're strictly plot devices, since they don't have the qualities for game mechanics.

I've always wanted to spin the whole Elemental Crystal trope from Forces of Nature to Forces of Physics. But while Gravity and Electromagnetism are doable, the Strong & Weak Nuclear Forces are hard to conceptualize.

Tell me something about your MC.
Is he your self insert?
Is he relevant to the plot? A Chosen One or something like that?
What is his motivation for taking on the adventure?
What kind of weaponry does he use?

My games uses literal rock, paper and scissors elements.

Is it too boring?

do you fight by actually playing RPS?
that's pretty cool

Fuck you, Line of Sight balls ass fuck cunt little shit.

Why won't you WORK? Why is it SO FUCKING HARD for you to see the left and the right EQUALLY? Prejudiced piece of shit. Is the right side not good enough for you?

Uh, no actually. It works just like your normal fire, water, earth, wind elements except now they're rock, paper and scissors.

Just make sure it's better than Fate/Extra's system.

I'm angry. ANGRY ABOUT WALLS.

Finally got this son of a bitch to work. Made me double my fucking check for +x and -X, the jerk.

On the positive side, Line of Sight for ranged weapons seems to be a go. On the negative sie, I have no idea how I'm going to display it considering how slow it loads currently.

Load at the command menu, display (change the graphic) when chooisng to attack. People won't notice the delay as much.

Nice work there, I find this highly impressive.
Even if it takes somewhat to load, it is a turn based game so waiting a second or two is not that big of a deal.

I thought about that as a last resort. The delay comes from checking 100 times per +1 (or -1) X from the origin to the desired spot (IE, where the red square appears). If I reduce that to 10 times per +/-1, it loads near instantly (webm related), but it is significantly more inaccurate, as seen by the squares near the top appearing despite no obvious LoS.

I'm going to see if I can't find a way to reduce calculations before resorting to that.

Fire advantage vs Plant
Plant advantage vs Water
Water advantage vs Fire

Metal advantage vs Stone
Stone advantage vs Wind
Wind advantage vs Metal

and then Shadow element, which takes reduced damage from everything else, but deals extra damage to all elements. Maybe not as high percentages as true advantage.

In graphical terms, the less calculations it does, the less work it has to do, but also the greater the chance of missing a LoS-blocking square along the way. Pic related is a rough example, except it is actually 10 checks per 1 X versus 100 checks.

I'm actually surprised at how inconsistent 10 checks per X is. It seems like that'd be a enough to catch anything.

In what time period is your game set in?

The time between when God banished Adam/Eve and the Flood - when he just sorta fucked off to the back seat, let his angels and humans mingle and have ridiculous nephilim babies, and everything generally went to shit until he hit the reset button.

Of course, the players will never know that. In God's "absence", several angels have taken the wheel, so to speak, and call themselves gods and formed their own pantheons. Some have created their own pocket realms ("subworlds"), each with their own rules. Sinsheim is one of those subworlds.

This sounds pretty interesting, get we to visit these subworlds?

Depending. I started The World as a compilation of all my failed projects, each of which existed in a different subworld. Sinsheim (an sRPG idea that started with VX Ace) quickly eclipsed them all though and is the only one I'm paying attention to currently. There will be references of an outside, especially around the concept of "First generation Sinsheimer," referring to someone who was taken from the real world to the subworld.

Right now I'm really just set on finishing this combat system before I focus on anything, though I've done my share of world-building along the way.

Care to explain why stone>wind and wind>metal? I'm curious.

Basically Wind's attack spell is Lightning. Metal conducts lightning and Stone doesn't.

I just wanted wind as a "main" element along with fire because of the setting. Wild West inspired

I also didn't want the two elemental circles to have a confusing overlap. It's why Water has ice in it and is in a separate circle away from Wind/lightning.

not op, but maybe it like Pokemon's reasoning for bug>psychic
It's not that bug types are strong, it's that psychics are weaker (mental phobias)

So like, Stone are unmoved by wind.
But metal (planes, buildings) are swayed by it.
And although it's a bit abstract, Kamikaze (Divine Wind) which destroys these things.

metal is subservient to wind.
Makes sense to me.

Alive

Good night bump
Please don't die again

I will just release my games to my friends 100% free.

Bump, I will see that it that we don't have yet another thread die so soon!

>Tell me something about your MC.
>Is he your self insert?
He's taken from /d/ straight away. DCBK, to be exact. His characterization started to shapen similar to mine at some points.
>Is he relevant to the plot? A Chosen One or something like that?
Just a freelance mercenary after his exile from royal grounds.
>What is his motivation for taking on the adventure?
Going back to palace and marrying a princess who hold him dear since childhood.
>What kind of weaponry does he use?
A sword with a shield in general.

Whoever makes the next thread needs to put /rpgmg/ in the subject line, cause that's what I search for in the catalog.

Okay, sure.
>Is he your self insert?
Nope.
Absolutely. He's not the chosen one though, but he's best friends with the chosen one. He's the reason his best friend became the chosen one. Sorta. The whole plot was conceived by trying to not focus on the chosen one for once. There'll be more subversions down the road.
He lost his best friend as a child and has sworn to grow stronger so he can protect others in the future, trying to make up for failing to protect his best friend.
Spear and shield

It's an open secret to the player that MC's best friend is still alive, but MC does not know. And he is not supposed to know, but best friend is trying to protect him as well and is breaking some of the rules for the things that are going on behind the scenes. Naturally, there will be repercussions.

You have my sword

What are some systems you want to see in RPG Maker but don't exist yet through scripts/plugins?

And my axe!

"easymake", you write things and the program does it for you without scripts or plugins.

SRW battle system
RE4 inventory system (doesn't exist in MV or ACE)
More battle systems with interactivity like timed button attacks and combos

/rpgmg/ how much research have you done for your game?

And by that I mean, how many JRPGs (assuming your game is a JRPG, if it's not, please replace this with whatever genre your game is) have you completed? Also include what system(s) you beat them on.

Here's my list:
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Chrono Cross (PS1)
Dragon Quest V (DS)
Final Fantasy (PS1)
Final Fantasy II (PSP)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy IV (DS)
Final Fantasy V (SNES/GBA)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (PSP)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1/PC)
Final Fantasy X (PS2/PC)
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2/PC)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy XIII (PC)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PC)
Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns (PC)
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PC)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP)
Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded (DS)
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
Pokemon Red (GB)
Pokemon Blue (GB)
Pokemon Yellow (GBC)
Pokemon Gold (GBC)
Pokemon Silver (GBC)
Pokemon Crystal (GBC)
Pokemon Fire Red (GBA)
Pokemon Emerald (GBA)
Pokemon Pearl (DS)
Pokemon Platinum (DS)
Pokemon Soul Silver (DS)
Pokemon White (DS)
Pokemon White 2 (DS)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (FES and Portable) (PS2/PSP)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (PS2)
Skies of Arcadia: Legends (GC)
Tales of Phantasia (PS1)
Tales of Eternia (PSP)
Tales of Symphonia (GC/PC)
Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
Tales of Zestiria (PC)
The World Ends With You (DS)
Xenogears (PS1)
Xenosaga Episode I (PS2)
Xenosaga Episode II (PS2)
Xenosaga Episode III (PS2)
Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC)

user, I barely have time to work on my game, never mind play that many. How do you do it?

It's not like I played them all recently. I've played them over the course of many years.

My game is actually inspired by non-rpg games. I felt like those games would be awesome in rpg form.

Recently I've been play a lot of Visual Novel/SIM styled rpgs. And let me tell you, they're some of the worst games I've experienced. I'm bored to tears.

It's possibly the localization's team's fault. I imagine they were so focused on approximate translations, they didn't realize they were failing to address these storytelling issues.

The first being on-the-nose dialogue.
"I hate you" rather than "burn in hell"
On top of the first being too straight forward, the "I" pronoun gets thrown around too much already. Every sentence: I this, I that, I think, I want. I. I. I.
Possibly a quirk of Japan's multiple pronouns and accepted omission of the a sentence's subject.

The second problem is the floating head syndrome. The characters aren't grounded in their surrounding. They just stand in one place as their heads float off into a void. Obviously you can't expect unique animations or a special CG for every scene. But while they're spewing exposition it's good to break it up with an action beat of some kind; a reminder of when and where they are. "If these haunted walls could speak." or "now that we have some privacy."

I guess that explains why hot-spring scenario's and cooking skits are the most entertaining parts. The characters' lust and disgust speaks for itself and the situation adds hesitation or dread to their voice.

Another term for talking head/floating head syndrome is "White wall"

Which I want to say is culturally acceptable in japan due to their manga practices. Where an irate character will drift off into a screentone of fire or maddening swirls as he thinks about his rival.
While in western comics, the character would be actively doing something that punctuates their words. Throwing darts a photo = revenge. Spinning a globe = control/domination.

Which ones have you been playing? The quality of writing of VNs vary greatly from title to title. Only a few are actually good and worth playing.

He's the RTP lead from RM95
>Is he your self insert?
Aside from being clever, not really. He's kind of an asshole.
Somewhat, though not directly. He becomes involved with one of 'The Above' (who are basically angelic creatures who work to make sure the flow of time is progressing as it should) and she's really more of the 'main character.'
The actual 'hero' from this world had a bit of a mental breakdown and has kept all of the power of being the hero while losing most of the morals.
Mostly curiosity about what she is/does. He's led a pretty shitty life and watching her raise a skeletal soldier from the dead to serve as her guardian when he refuses to piques his interest.
As a rogue, he operates by dagger.

Everything that happens is indirectly his fault.

>Is he your self insert?

No. He's way cooler than me.

He is the accidental catalyst for the villain's evil motivations.

To guide the chosen one on a pilgrimage to save the world from evil.

A spear.

>Is he your self insert?
No.

No. No character is relevant to the plot except the King.

The usual. Be popular, be a hero, save your friends and your land, etc. At the start.

The usual broadsword user.

>Is he your self insert?
Not really, though the original concept had him start as one, he's been developed to the point where there's no resemblance to the first concept of him.
He's as relevant as the 20 other people trying to beat the villain, though the story does focus on some of his specific sub-plots at points.
Aside from the villain trying to drive humans extinct, he also wants to grow strong enough to stop the villain because he killed his girlfriend in front of him and proceeded to possess him.
He has the physical strength of a fly, so he doesn't have any set weapon. He does use pre-made runes to use magic without expending too much energy though.

>Is he your self insert?
Nope.
Yes. Though less "chosen one" and more "convenient sacrifice".
Her god commanded her to do it.
There are a variety of weapons and spells in the game that can change based on the player's choices, but she starts off with a mace and very weak holy spells.

Speaking of main characters, does anyone like the old silent protagonist trope? I guess it never bothered me much, but I always preferred it when they speak. I've never been one to self-insert into blank characters like that, though, even in games like the Elder Scrolls where you can create a character.

She's a soldier from a kingdom in the far South where it snows all the time
>Is (s)he your self insert?
Yes, in that she is my outlet for expressing my suicidal ideation and pessimism, as well as abuse and rape I've experienced.
>Is (s)he relevant to the plot? A Chosen One or something like that?
Relevant in that she's the main character, but she isn't a chosen one. As of now, there are multiple plots going on (Sarinus stealing relics from the church, Alakar and Niansda having a war) and you are just a random person stuck in it.
>What is (her) motivation for taking on the adventure?
A sense of duty, but also getting caught up in things and trying to do the right thing.
>What kind of weaponry does (s)he use?
She's trained in swordsmanship, but loses her sword at the beginning of the game, so is trained to use an ax, which she then prefers to use.

Idea Factory games were the worst of the worst.

Ar Tonelico games were good. They didn't have the talking head problem. But the ps3 games had a kind of circumstantiality about them

Circumstantiality is a condition where a person just has to talk about all the circumstances around a subject.

"What's the price of gas?"
"Oh, well, I was driving through town this morning because...and it was raining... then at the stoplight I remembered...so I was debating if I should..."
[2 hours later]
"...and for that reason I went down that street and filled up at that station, which was 2.50 at the pump even though the sign said 2.55."

Bump.

>have 10 tabs worth of scripts to insert and tweak into my game

But I don't WANNA *pout*