/fog/ - Fallout General

Ye olde: >fog/ Mod Archive
fogmods.weebly.com

>CK
creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Main_Page

>Fallout 4 General Information (Read Before Asking Questions)
pastebin.com/UkxVHYQB

>Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Links
pastebin.com/x1yeAmcP

>The Art of Fallout 4
mega.nz/#!vQkWVLpD!nBOiJBqgYriOJNkjU8OqxSFOfpKJHYWT6wZunopd6Fg

>Fallout 4 Item IDs
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J9quAMtGK70aptz0t5teqWHGZJ9T9uvJmzNEBJEB36Q/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

>Fallout 4 Legendary Effects & IDs Guide
pastebin.com/qg0KhsCA

>Fallout 4 Settlement Mods & Information
pastebin.com/QJquVveh

>HOW TO CONVERT SKYRIM / OBLIVION / NV / FO3 ETC MODELS TO FO4 + Bodyslide Guide
pastebin.com/MWEPKj5m

Other urls found in this thread:

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/FEV_research_notes
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Institute_terminal_entries#FEV_lab_terminal
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
fallout.gamepedia.com/Shaun's_dialogue
nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19516/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Ye olde
that doesn't say pre-war....

Keep clean and kill mutants.

third for pls respond

do you think small bertha would suck nora's girlcock if you helped her clear the lumber mill out?

Very yes.

kys

Do y'all know how to fix the F04 esp break? All my esp based mods are selected and are listed in the plugins.txt file but for whatever reason the game refuses to load any of the content into the game world. I made changed to the .ini files as I was supposed to and I set the plugins.txt to read only and they still don't load. Have you guys figured out how to fix it?

I've been contemplating doing a Super Mutant mod. I've always been a bit bothered how the Super Mutants were handled in Fallout 4.

They had good potential, with being flawed Institute recreations this time around, but that never amounted to anything. So I want to do a mod to fix some of it.

So three questions from an absolute newbie to the GECK:

First, I wanna start small. Adding a lot of terminal entries to the Institute about the FEV research, having a few terminals in Mutant hideouts where they (crudely of course) leave a few notes, maybe an unmarked quest to find where new Super Mutants are coming from since the Institute has stopped producing them.

Second: I'm a dirty dirty pirate. Will that affect my ability to work with the GECK?

Third: If it goes well and I familiarize with the GECK, where would I go to find voice actors? Is there like a modding actor community or some shit? Or am I pretty much left with whatever random jonhs I can find amongst my friends?

Should we make a pastebin of things FO4 doesn't tell you that you can do? Stuff like using cover or swapping weapon mods when you don't have the appropriate perk(s).

I bet nora used to go out and prowl around the schools, looking for unsuspecting children to molest

what armor mod is this?

modding isn't fun and you're going to give up at the first road bump.

sorry bud

Would you be willing to help me?

I've always been slow to learn but once I get into I'm really good.

Please?

blease resbond D:

There has to be a * in front of each mod in the plugins.txt.

>get to human error quest
>wear my nice dress over at the compound
>red speech check
>sure, come on in
>let the doctor kill the synth
>idiot savant triggers for 1200 exp
What a nice day.

Fucking seriously? That's it?

I thought Settlements can only reach 16 people, but I'm getting more and more

I installed Homemaker when I started, is this the problem?

Why is it a problem? Turn off your beacon.
Nobody would use your mod unless its compatible with Super Mutant Redux anyway.

it's 10 + your max charisma

>Why is it a problem? Turn off your beacon.
Right

Is there a way to get a specific work bench to a settlement if it's not there already and you don't have local leader?

It was SPR that inspired me in the first place. Such good super mutant changes wasted on a shitty story.

I wanna know how hard this'd be, as in how many hours would an average person would take for these three steps if they started learning:

1 - Notes and Terminal entries
2 - Small quest with 1 character
3 - Friendly Super Mutant Settlement

I know 3 would be the kind of shit that takes weeks/months, but how much time would a newbie have to invest to do 1/2?

Is there a flavor of the month ENB/Reshade preset?

Doesn't seem to be a gazillion like for Skyrim, are most people just using vanilla?

Actually 10+current charisma.

No.

>Adding a lot of terminal entries to the Institute about the FEV research
Those already exist
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Institute_terminal_entries#FEV_lab_terminal

> having a few terminals in Mutant hideouts where they (crudely of course) leave a few notes
Super Mutants can't use terminals because the FEV destroys their fine motor skills, and their hands are too big. Virgil even notes hes starting to lose the ability to do so in his terminal.

>maybe an unmarked quest to find where new Super Mutants are coming from since the Institute has stopped producing them.
New Super Mutants aren't coming from anywhere.

The Institute only stopped making them a few months before the game begins.

In short, everything is already explained.

That's it.
* means "activated".
No * means "in your mod list but not activated".

>the sorry state of Nexus right now

For all those dollarydoos you'd think they would have decent servers now.

see, the thing about merge plugins is if you do it mid save you have to re do everything and re aquire everything because all of the items get a new form ID or at least the first 2 numbers. meaning your shit is gone.

you can get around this the 1st time after merging if you want to add something by deleting the old merged plugin, going through the process again with the added mod, and then naming the new merged plugin the same name as the original one.

>Those already exist

I know of their existence, but they're crude and minimalistic, not even explaining WHY the Institute has a FEV strain, or what they hope to accomplish from creating Super Mutants.

>Can't use terminals

They'd be few and far inbetween, and things like Fawkes' terminal entry after his transformation, or Speech-to-Text style entries. I just want to establish a baseline for the possibility of a quest to find a peaceful Super Mutant hideout and to make Mutants more relevant and connected to the story.

>Stopped making them a few months

Which doesn't explain why they're so prevalent on the Wasteland. This isn't like Fallout 3 where the Muties were kidnapping people and dipping entire groups into vats of FEV. This is Institute experimentation, and from what we see inside the Institute each experiment involves only a few individuals at a time. We fight enough Super Mutants throughout the game to make armies that can compete with the Master's in size. I got an idea on why, but again, that's why I want to mod.
Furthermore, why would the Institute even release mutants into the world? Synths I can understand, keeping the population in check and destabilizing the region with precise careful strikes when necessary. But even in their early experiments Super Mutants are actively hostile and uncontrollable, and in fact pose a threat to all assets the Institute have on the surface.
The Muties will attack Synths in sight and in general just serve as buffed Raiders.
To add, you can't even say "well, it was part of a Pre-synth initiative" exactly because they only shut down the FEV project a few months ago. Meaning whatever the Super Mutant releases were meant for coincided with the Synth initiatives they were undergoing.

>or what they hope to accomplish from creating Super Mutants.
Pay closer attention.

Year 2178

Uhh... This is Doctor Elliott, with the official report for the Directorate from BioScience. The date is, umm, August 2178. I'm pleased to report that, as has been the case during my tenure, crop yields exceed expectations. In point of fact, everything down here is fine... with... one notable exception. Doctor Frederick has informed me that the Directorate has pre-approved research on samples of the FEV virus, which he already has in his possession. Now, I'm not one to question the Directorate... you all know that. I don't even want to know where this came from. But... well, this is troubling. Dangerous, possibly. I will do my best to make sure risks are minimized, but I really do hope that the consequences are understood.

Year 2224

This is Doctor Elliott, reporting for the BioScience division. March 2224. We just received another batch of... subjects... but as my previous report stated, we're at an impasse here. More of the same won't help. The two most promising strains of FEV have been adapted to an ideal state, but... we're still missing something. I am officially echoing the team's position: the most likely progress for our research on synthetic organics requires new avenues of exploration. Additional Commonwealth subjects will not help. It's the same problem across the board: exposure to too much radiation. We need something... someone new. There's a proposal we'll be putting forward... I am not entirely comfortable with it, but it seems the best course.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

2227 - Shaun is kidnapped by The Institute

The program was ultimately a success; my DNA was fused with a modified virus to create the organic material from which our new synths are made.

>. This is Institute experimentation, and from what we see inside the Institute each experiment involves only a few individuals at a time.
you forget, they have been doing this for over 100 years at this point.

Can't help you with the GECK part, but any mod that deals with the Institute's retardness helps

Hey, personal fanwank of mine, maybe you'll like it and it'll help you

As I see it, the Institute had an original purpose with most assigned experiments. However, secrecy followed by the original Director's death lead to a very confused state of affairs, meaning no one really knows why they're doing the experiments or things they do, they just go on their day-to-day job doing whatever they're assigned.

Each Lead Scientist has their own theory on what the Institute's purpose is, but no one knows for sure, and even Director Shaun is pretty much following the directives of the previous Director, who's following the Director before him and so-so so-so.

And unless they released 100 years worth of mutants as a giant clown fiesta, it still makes no sense the dominion the Muties have over the Commonwealth.

If each time they experimented they disposed of the subjects by sending them to the surface, then Muties wouldn't have time to grow as warbands as we see. Contrary to raiders, they can't pass as normal citizens, can't reproduce, are so alien to normal humans most people have a Kill-on-Sight policy against them and are so dumb they'll attack anyone in their way.

And if the Institute was just pilling Mutants, where were they keeping them, and what were their purpose? Doubt the amount of Supers we see in the Commonwealth would be needed if they were merely to enhance the Gen-3 Synth experiments.

anybody had that bug that makes impossible to use workbenches or chairs/beds?
basically when pressing e the visual goes to third person and nothing happens.

So Shaun died an Oedipal virgin, right? They really should have had Shaun make a Synth Shaun and a Synth spouse for the player as a token apology for the Institute ruining their life.

Are they too close to a wall and/or backwards?

So, they combine FEV with a strain from Shaun's DNA and this helps them create Gen-3 Synths, yes.

Why are more Mutants needed after that? They clearly aren't because the project's termination didn't put a dent in Gen-3 Synth production, but apparently they kept pumping those Supers for 50 year.

It's not like the Mutants are needed for much longer. After they have enough tissue and organic material they can just clone that on and on.

And on top of all that, still no mention how or why the Institute would have FEV samples. There was already a research station investigating FEV (Mariposa) and they aren't a private company that can strong-arm the government into giving them some (Vault-Tec) so what's their purpose with it? Different strain? Secondary testing grounds?
I'm not saying it's stupid they have it, it's actually quite clever how Bethesda keeps finding ways to rehash the same old enemies, but it's the type of stuff that shouldn't be left up in the air.

the "vanilla" one have the same problem, ie the chairs at the noodle restaurant in diamond city, not only the one i made.

user, I hate to break it to you, but you're putting more thought into it than Bethesda did.
You're not supposed to think about it.
Turn your brain off and enjoy a decent open world shooter.

Found some nice melons to harvest at abernathy farms

Found a nice repost from the previous thread.

Does any clothing besides power armor help at all in survival mode when you take so much damage or is it just about fashion and that point?

>Try to download mod
>"You need an account to download mods larger than 2 MBs"
>Fine, whatever fuck you
>Go to make an account on the forums
>I have to fucking buy membership
>To download mods
Is this some kind of a sick joke? Who the hell would pay for community content?

wtf are you even talking about?

Nevermind, I'm retarded and they put a tiny as fuck option for free membership at the bottom.

Still man, fuck you I shouldn't need an account to download shit.

>Why are more Mutants needed after that?
To see if any possible improvements could be made to the FEV strains to make synths better.

>And on top of all that, still no mention how or why the Institute would have FEV samples.
They got it post war from V87 most likely. It was not something The Institute had before hand, as indicated from the above quoted FEV research notes.

>find legendary cryo sniper
>having a fuckin blast
>step on a mine
>survival
>last save was an hour ago

fucking end my life

Hey guys, I just played FO4 a few days ago and I'm a bit confused about the backlash back when it first came out.

The only actual problem I see with the game are the poor dialogue options for the main character. That was imo, a serious step backwards, but every other part of the game is far better than FO3 at the very least. Even the main quest, while not amazing is the best Bethesda has made in recent memory.

I get that the game might be dissapointing coming from New Vegas, but anyone expecting something of that quality were fooling themselves. Anyway that's how I feel about it, all things considered I think it's a pretty solid game.

Also I'm curious about what factions you guys stuck with. I ended up joining the Institute

>And unless they released 100 years worth of mutants as a giant clown fiesta, it still makes no sense the dominion the Muties have over the Commonwealth.

Within two years of starting the FEV program, The Institute had created enough super mutants, and sent them to the surface, that they were able to rally together and attack Diamond city, which was only prevented by the arrival of the Minutemen.

The Institute captured people in the dozens, if not hundreds.

>Not finding a bed the second you find a weapon you like

user-kun, I know I'm not supposed to think about it, but I want to make a mod exactly so I can get this shit out of my mind

Here's my idea so you can shred it to bits:
The Institute's government orders were to modify FEV samples as to allow for new specimens to grow without the need for more FEV. Combining different strains of fungal DNA caused a resounding success. When a super mutant its biomatter would decompose rapidly, and if its corpse was on ground would cause a fungal growth. Supplying this area with biological material (IE corpses and gore) would allow for a new Super Mutant to be born [IE pretty much ripping off 40k Orks]. Super Mutants created by this particular strain would feel compelled to search and kill humans and gore them, as to feed the growing areas which allowed more mutants to be born. These dumbass mutants are predisposed to follow Smart supermutants (Mariposas).
The purpose would be simple: Even after a failed battle, an army could be renewed from the corpses of both sides, and long after a fight the enemy would still have their backs crippled by re-emerging forces.
When Vault-TEC strong-armed the gov' into giving them a strain, they were given failed batches of the Institute strain. Mutants created by this strain still felt the biological need to hunt, kill and gore humans, but it had no pratical purpose.
After the War, when the Institute realized they could use FEV for the purpose of furthering their Synthetic Life Project, they started kidnapping people and creating as many mutants as possible. When they saw they weren't getting any results, the Institute released the Muties onto the Wasteland, hoping that the batches formed by their "reproduction process" would help in some way. When that failed too, then they theorized a non-irradiated source of human DNA was needed, so they kickstarted the events of the game

All I'm asking is how hard/time-consuming it is to mod notes/terminal entries

The quotes don't say they hadn't beforehand, only that they didn't research it until 2178.

>The Institute's government orders were to modify FEV samples
First problem is right here.

The Institute, or more specifically CiT, did not have FEV before the war.

As Doctor Elliott mentions in the first log here
He has no idea where the FEV came from, which suggests they did not have it before 2178

The Institute only got FEV after the war, likely from Vault 87 given the similarities in the strains, sch as how they make Behemoths, while the Mariposa strain does not.

IIRC, theres even a conversation between two super mutants in V87 in Fallout 3 where they talk about how Fawkes warned them that men will come to take the green stuff, which may have resulted from The Institute raiding V87 for FEV in the past.

Which again, is completely unsustainable considering the population of the setting.

I can buy that in two years they captured dozens/hundreds of people and made Muties out of them. Keeping this up for 98 more years would be almost impossible, at least 50% of the Mutant attacking force was probably wiped out and we fight through dozens of Mutants on a single Mutant Enclave alone, so that excuse doesn't really stick

Are you dyslexic? serious question.

>Now, I'm not one to question the Directorate... you all know that. I don't even want to know where this came from.

> I don't even want to know where this came from.

If they had it before the war, he wouldn't be making this statement, as he would already know where it came from.

>Which again, is completely unsustainable considering the population of the setting.
Not really.

Unless you are one of those idiots that forgets that the games are drastically scaled down in size and population.

Diamond City alone is easily a location of 1,000+ people.

Not to mention places like Goodneighbor, Quincy, Salem, University Point, all the failed settlements of the past.

tons of places to kidnap people

So what's the deal then? Is the new patch automatically disabling plugins at launch or something? Also thank you for your help, Veeky Forums is always far more kind than those assholes over at /v/

>First Problem right here

Like I said, Elliot's quote only means the Institute only approved of the research at 2187, and that the Director had samples at the moment of approval. Considering the timespan, they could have been working on it Pre-War, stopped after the war when it became clear Superhuman Troops wouldn't be necessary, and restarted work after it became of need for the Synth project.

As for Elliot not knowing where it came from, the Institute is a need-to-know-basis kind of organization. There isn't any need to inform him of this. And it's merely implications, not facts. Any scientist born Pre-War is dead, so nowhere in the game can tell where FEV came from.

>Conversations between Vault 87 Mutants

That's more likely than not a reference to the Brotherhood of Steel, who's trying to find the Super Mutant source. Fawkes is clever and upon hearing of them probably realized this.

It's very unlikely the Institute would even know of Vault-Tec's deal with the government. On meta terms it's even more unlikely Bethesda would set up this so early in advance.

Cryo sniper?

i have no dlcs for FO4 yet. are they all worth the 60 bucks for the whole thing?

>It's very unlikely the Institute would even know of Vault-Tec's deal with the government.
Remember, as Shaun states

>Ours was a unique situation. Vault-Tec records were easily accessible to the Institute, and they were looking for as young a specimen as possible.

> On meta terms it's even more unlikely Bethesda would set up this so early in advance.
Bethesda set up the Red Year that restored Morrowind up a decade before it happened.

They do this kind of shit all the time

Again, assuming all scientists in the Institute know all the things that are happening or happened all the time.

He doesn't know of FEV. Could mean they recently acquired the samples, or could mean that the samples have been stored and the Directorade only approved for their research in 2178, which isn't unlikely.
FEV is an attempt at creating Super Soldiers, and there's no use for Super Soldiers when the war and the world is over. They probably only started the research once they saw it could be of use to the Synth project

Its very unlikely that the Institute had FEV since before the war, if Bethesda wanted them too, they would have said or suggested so.

You can headcanon anything you want, but the writing, as it is in the holotape in-game, does not support it.

It also doesn't make sense why a robotic college would be given access to a genetic weapon.

Not buying that Generation 2 Synths could travel 440 miles without being seen/killed by anyone, go in a Vault filled to the brim with Mutants, take enough samples to allow for viable experimentation, then travel back loaded with the stuff.
It's much more likely they just had it stored in a stash in the Institute that only the Directorade has knowledge/access.

>Not buying that Generation 2 Synths could travel 440 miles without being seen/killed by anyone
Zimmer, a near 80 year old man, along with one singular courser, managed to walk from Boston to D.C. without getting killed.

Its not that dangerous of a trip. We know theres established trade routes going all the way from Boston to the Broken Banks south of D.C., on both land and sea

>So what's the deal then? Is the new patch automatically disabling plugins at launch or something?
It shouldn't. Not anymore. That was a bug shortly after Survival released, and after some beta patches you could try out via Steam.
Hence there also shouldn't be the need to set plugins.txt as read-only anymore.

The *-deal is just about managing your load order without any mod manager.

The Institute is much more than robotics. Synths alone require massive knowledge of biology and anatomy (both human and animal, if the gorillas and [possibly] cats are of any indication), plus they dabble hard on agricultural studies.

The Institute is the East Coast's Big MT, a conglomerate of geniuses from different fields.

The holotape supports and disproves nothing, that's the point. Elliot doesn't know, and that's it. Even after becoming Director you have no idea where the Institute got the FEV.

Again, the Institute is a need-to-know-basis type of group. A scientist assigned to a project not knowing they had a stash of FEV samples from a Pre-War experience that got discontinued when the bombs dropped isn't unlikely, especially since the lead scientist in the affair was clearly born post-War

So are there any good quest mods? Or should I try out nuka world?

>The Institute is much more than robotics.
And the Institute is not CiT

The Institute is a post war organization founded 30+ years after the war occurred.

CiT was just a robotics college.

i know its a pretty generic topic but what are your favourite fo4 mods right now? i'm pretty new to it, and whilst it seems pretty underwhelming, i hope it will just be a late bloomer. i actually really like the commonwealth as a base to work on, forgetting the sole survivor endgame.

speaking of SMRedux, i just installed it but i haven't been out fighting any mutants yet. i got it because i think the same person did a raider overhaul mod, and it's pretty much the best little mod i've found. the most fun in the game right now is fighting raiders thanks to that. its just a much more varied spawn/package list, but they use food, meds and grenades much more aggressively and rock some pretty cool tank girl / mad max outfits, i really recommend it and would love to see a mod that did this for the entire game and all enemy types.

on the opposite side of wasteland fun, is singing settlers. its a bit buggy but it let me turn starlight sanctuary into a big convert venue, and my bars have karaoke, which companions love to indulge in. there's also CWSS redux(?) for "working" bathhouses (also a bit buggy).

Just play Trainwiz's Maxwell's World.

It's not about getting killed.

First, Zimmer had a Courser. Fallout's easiness aside, the Courser is stated to be one of the deadliest battlefield "weapons".
Second, a Courser can pass as a human. Easily. Generation 2 Synths would have to make a trip completely alone. Zimmer could hire protection to get to Rivet City, or come with the aforementioned trade routes. Gen2s could never stop to resupply, would have to travel almost exclusively at night to avoid been spotted and would be vulnerable to the things all robots traveling without humans are: being attacked by raiders for parts, like ED-E.
Third, Zimmer's mission was merely diplomatic in nature: go there, find a Synth, say a code, get out. The Gen 2 Synths would have to fight through a Vault of Mutants and have enough of them survive to get out with enough samples.

So it's not about how dangerous a trip is. Moriarty and Tenpenny came from freaking Europe and that crazy Quantum chick casually traveled to Nuka World. What did they all have in common? Being human, and as such not having a gigantic Neon Sign saying "FEAR AND ATTACK ME" strapped to their backs. They also traveled alone or in small groups, which wouldn't attract as much attention as a Synth force that had to be equipped to fight a Vault of mutants would.

nuka world is best enjoyed by pretending it's a jet-induced fever dream that only exists in your distant subconscious.

The below ground research zone connected to Commonwealth Institute of Technology existed pre-War. The Institute itself as an organization didn't, but the structure that allowed for them to undergo all those projects completely unrelated to technology had to be there before the war.

If nothing else, it's clear the CiT in Fallout's universe is not directly matched to the CiT in real life, and it being a robotics college doesn't change the fact its underground facilities had to research much more than just robotics considering the things they're packing in there.

I like everything about this body but how it looks, but MUH REALISM is too important.
nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19516/?

SMRedux is pretty good. New enemy types, good textures, and makes mutants fun to fight at all levels. Not sure if they have new AI behavior, but they're a much bigger bitch to fight after installing the mod so they must have had.

OT: My favorite mods have mostly to do with settlements. Homemaker, Alternate, OCDecorator. It's easy to just have the main story fuck right off and play it as someone trying to rebuild civilization, plus mods like Raiders Overhaul and SMR to give the world some life.

I heavily recommend Xander's Aid, Maxwell's World, Shuddersome Subways and the 3DNPC's mods. They're better expansion packs than that piece of shit Nuka World.

>The below ground research zone connected to Commonwealth Institute of Technology existed pre-War.
Wrong, people in The Institute themselves tell you that they built The Institute structure itself after the war by digging out form the basement.

The only part of The Institute that was there before the war was the "old robotics" section you pass through in the BoS/Minutemen/Railraod quest line.

autism

K... Somehow skipped that.

That's a more stupid and imbecilic option than the alternative, so I'll just have Bethesda fuck right off and not try my hand at polishing a brown turd.

>That's a more stupid and imbecilic option than the alternative
How exactly?

What on earth gave you the notion that CiT would have built The Institute before the war?

That shit is Enclave level technology, theres no way they would get away with having it.

All this Super Mutant talk got me thinking how dissapointed I was in Strong.

Supposedly he wants to learn more about the human way, but every time you do something "the human way" he just dislikes it and the only things he consistently likes is you being a Super Mutant.

What wasted potential. Would be cool having a companion you could shape. Being a good person would slowly create a new Fawkes, while being an asshole would make him stronger and meaner.

How can Obsidian make deeper companions and companion interactions/developments in six months that Bethesda in years?

Obsidian create deeply complex, varied characters with believable personalities and interesting backstories that tie into relevant events within the world.

Bethesda come up with a funny idea in a brainstorming meeting, turn it into a character and call it a day.

>How can Obsidian make deeper companions and companion interactions/developments in six months that Bethesda in years?

putting passion ahead of profits.

My notion was that the Institute was a government-funded research center. I thought they had Enclave level technology because they were working with/for the pre-War "Enclave", so to speak.

Instead a bunch of robotic scientists managed to build an Enclave-level research center filled with possibly the most advanced technology in the Post-War world after the nukes dropped. That's retarded on many levels.

>Supposedly he wants to learn more about the human way
No he doesn't. Strong wants to find the "milk of human kindness" which he thinks is an actual drink, because he believes it will give him and other super mutants the power needed to finally crush mankind.

The irony being that "the milk of human kindness" Shakespeare talks about is actually being able to be friends with people, and Strong finds it by becoming friends with a human like you, without even realizing it.

>How can Obsidian make deeper companions and companion interactions/developments in six months that Bethesda in years?
Because
A. They didn't.
B. They do nothing but copy the most tired and overused character archetypes that require no effort to come up with

Boone is
>MUH WAR CANT LET GO!
Raul is
>IM OLD AND USELESS!
Arcade is
>WOULD MUH DAD BE WANT ME TO DO WHAT HE DID?

Its tired and overused cliches you can find in any bad drama series played 100% stright.

Its literally copy-paste writing

What annoys me the most is that the ideas and framework of Fallout 4 are for the most part really good.
But Bethesda decided to leave it bare-bones instead of developing.

Fallout 4 is the Bethesda game that better demonstrates their bad side. Shallow as fuck game where everything that exists is meant as an excuse to play around a playground.

If Fallout was Disney, New Vegas (and arguably 3 it wasn't as bad in this regard as 4) would be the movies and 4 would be fucking Disneyworld.

You should wait, as good as Far Harbor and Automatron are its only really worth it if you like the settlement mode since thats what most of it is

>since thats what most of it is
>out of 70 dollars in content, only 15 of it is settlement stuff
15/70 is only 20%.

Far Harbor alone has more content in it then all the workshop DLCs combined, as does Nuka World, even ignroing the additions to settlements they added via raiders.

The workshop DLcs suck, but this idea they make up most of the content is patently untrue, and a /v/ tier meme

Looks like shit lmao

>no wrist seams and soon no neck seams
how?
what new devilry is this

>no wrist seams and soon no neck seams
Uhhh, Skyrim got rid of those ages ago.

The only place it was a problem was in Oblivion/Fo3/NV because the game threw different lighting on heads then bodies, while then ewer games don't.

I fucking know Strong thinks the milk of human kindness is a damned drink, but to get the milk he has to work with humans and learn their secrets. Hard to do that if you bitch and moan all the way through it. Plus, that "search" never goes anywhere as well.
After joining Strong acts as your bitch, following you from place to place disliking almost everything you do along the way unless you only bring him along to kill things. He doesn't try to search for it, ask you or anyone about it, nothing ever comes of it. His motivation could easily be switched with "I feel like it" or "you smell good" and it would mean the exact fucking same on the long run.
And Obsidian characters can start as stereotypes because SURPRISE, SURPRISE!, people LOOK like stereotypes if you don't get to know them. Getting to know your companions will result in some actual development.

Stick around with Boone and he can potentially let go. He also has good reasons to join you (pretty much wants to die and you're clearly a crazy motherfucker that is fighting and going into dangerous zones all the time one way or another) and good reasons to stick around after his quest's done.

Raul CAN STOP being "old and useless" and develop.

Arcade CAN choose his own path or allow you to choose for him.
With Strong, and in fact almost ALL companions in Fallout 4, you have little reason to care after you learn of them because they never develop, never change. No matter their supposed goals or reasons for joining you, they remain static meatshields all game.

I'm tired of the notion perpetuated by retards that only original things are good. You know what you also find in almost all dramas before Romeo and Juliet? A tale of estranged lovers. Citizen Kane tells the story of a grump near-dead fuck regretting his life, something as old as Greek theatre. Obsidian takes the concepts and actually goes somewhere, Bethesda just throws toys in the table and lets us play with them.

user you are so stupid it hurts.

I don't know what type of piece of shit would prefer a well developed story based on an old trope than a new concept that doesn't do shit with itself.

Probably the same type of morons that give tons of money to Transformers and Battleship.

> but to get the milk he has to work with humans and learn their secrets
No, he has to watch them. He can hate what they do the whole time.

>Plus, that "search" never goes anywhere as well.
OFc it doesn't, thats the whole point. He find the milk without realizing it.

>With Strong, and in fact almost ALL companions in Fallout 4, you have little reason to care after you learn of them because they never develop, never change
Which is a good thing.

The problem with NV's companions is that they are totally mindless robots, with no agency of their own.

They claim to have all these major life problems, but chose to do nothing about it, and just stand around with their thumb up their ass until you the special snowflake PC comes along and drags them to do it, and even then, they are so mindless, and unable to form an opinion of their own, that they need you to tell them how to feel about what happened.

The thing that makes Fallout 4's companions enjoyable is that they DON'T do that

Cait for example realizes she has a drug problem, tries to get it cured by doctors, then, when that doesn't work, she does the research and ifnds out where a cure might be found on her own, and just needs you to help her reach it since a bunch of Gunners are in the way.

She doesn't need you to tell her she has a problem, she doesn't need you to tell her she needs to get cured or she will die, she doesn't need you to do the reseach for her, she doesn't need you to tell her how to feel about it afterward.

Cait actually acts like a thinking, feeling, adult, with actual agency, which makes her, despite being one of the worse companions in the game, more enjoyable then anyone in NV, who act like nothing but retarded adult babies who need you to ead them by the hand to do even basic stuff like take a shit.

What you described is exactly whats WRONG about companions in RPGs in general.

Ah I see, I was using NMM because I had a limited amount of time to dick with it and couldn't find my FOMOD exe. Take my rarest spurdo as a token of my gratitude.

You're ignoring the fact that if he hates it enough he leaves

Meaning that he wants to get the milk, but if you do things that he knows are associated with this milk thingie he leaves.

And you got it all backwards. The reason most of NV's companions are even companions is because of the way they deal with their problems, not the other way around.

Boone, as far as he cares, is done for. He already killed his wife to stop her from being a sex-slave or worse, and now dedicates his life to killing Legionaires. He follows you because you kill Legionaires. He already has the "solution" to his problem in his mind. In his quest you either validate his approach or you find a different way.

Arcade is perfectly content in helping people as a doctor. He has dealt with his past. Him traveling with you is what brings about doubts if he has done the right thing.

Lily just thinks you need help and follows you because she's nice and you've been nice to her. One of the solutions for her quest, and for a lot of people the best, is just not interfering and letting her keep doing what she's already doing it.

Cass only becomes a companion because you offered to help her.

Raul becomes your companion because you saved him, and the experiences you share together make him doubt.

You see the theme here?

MOST OF THEM DON'T "CLAIM" TO HAVE ANYTHING. They think they have it figured it out. You're the one who proves them wrong (or god forbid, agrees with their way of doing things) during your travels. They don't NEED you to tell them what to do, they ask for your opinion BECAUSE YOU WERE THE ONE THAT MADE THEM REALIZE THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Boone pretty much has to have info pried out of him with a crane, Veronica deflects almost every attempt of yours to know her better. You're the one who takes the initiative to get in their lives.

>What's wrong with companions in RPGs in general

Man, Cait of all people is your example of a better alternative?

Are you retarded? Like, genuinely retarded?

The search goes nowhere. Even if you're "friends" with him he doesn't change based on that. You have no influence on him. Your actions have no purpose. He's the same flat board no matter what you do, only sometimes the board has a frowny face and others a happy face.

And I love the term special snowflake PC. The story centers around them because they're special, asswipe, not the other way around. Of course the Courier who shaped the Mojave is special, if you want to play as a random dipshit with no influence on anyone get a mod that lets you be a random NCR soldier or some shit like that.

"Cait acts like a thinking, feeling adult with agency".
Wish I'd read this idiocy before starting to write the response. Would have realized you really are retarded and there's no point discussing you