/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

racism edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159257.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for how the fuck do I become a hearthperson? The only option for joining a civ is to be a performer. I checked the wiki and everything.

Those things won't deter them. They'll run straight over the traps and right into the animals if that's the shortest path off the map. The entire rest of the labyrinth will be superfluous, you may as well make a straight corridor filled with traps and animals.

If you want them to treat it like an actual labyrinth you'll have to get more creative. Pressure plate controlled doors and bridges that alter paths, deadfalls that force creatures to re-enter the labyrinth at different points, moving water hazards that cut off exits and push creatures onto different paths, innocuous bait animals behind windows to trick them into taking dangerous routes...
Those are just ideas off the top of my head. You get the idea, though. A maze alone isn't going to do what you want it to.
Also, the other user is right, they'll need a path off map or a visible pathable target to motivate them to run your maze.

The other user was me but, thanks I will work on this. This is still an early fort (around ~50 dwarves), I'm just trying to lay framework for now. So I'm gonna have to get really elaborate with this thing.

Are you asking someone whose title is Lord or Lady? If not you're asking the wrong person.

Yeah I'm asking a Lady. Still only get the performer option. Does it matter that I'm only in a village?

>The other user was me
Oh, I see. The thread died while I was typing my reply, I only added that last bit after skimming (poorly, apparently) the rest of the replies.

Well, good luck and keep us updated.

It shouldn't, no. Is the Lady in charge of the site you're at or is she travelling?

She seems to be yeah. But the ruler of the civ lives in the same castle, I dunno if that's important. Pic related, my only dialogue options. I've got 43.03 by the way.

>tfw no elf gf

I binged that show in like a day and had a fucking blast playing DF adventure mode for the next few weeks. Really changed how I visualized dragons.

Have you tried asking the ruler? That could be the issue.

Tried the ruler, got this

>tfw no demon elf gf (male)

>Obsidian font

My dude

Have a pressure plate room with a cat in it to sometimes open up the exit. Make it so its logic is mostly showing closed. They'll random around while the exit is shut

Do you have any reputation at all? Maybe that's a prerequisite now.

Oh, huh, I don't. I'll have to work on that then. How many dead people do I need till I work up a title? 5 I think?

I actually have a plant to rig up pressure plates in various high traffic rooms of my fort to various bridges in the maze (which is now three levels tall in the plans) so that the route to the exit is constantly changing.

Thanks, I really do appreciate the advice you guys are giving.

5 notable kills, but that's not necessarily related to your reputation. Ask people about troubles, pick something nearby and go kill it. Come back and brag about it, and then you'll have a heroic reputation. I would avoid bandits and criminal organizations, they're likely to have friends in town who'll be pissed about it and could muddy things up before you can become a hearthsperson.

plan*

Muddy up as in try to bump me off or cause a loyalty cascade?

You could simultaneously get a reputation as a protector of the weak and a murderer. The latter may negatively affect the Lady's opinion of you. She might let you be a hearthsperson anyway. Accept your request and spit at you in the same turn. She might not, though.

So keep getting an error saying my doctors can't set a bone because they lack a splint. So I go ahead and Q up a splint and once it's gone from my workshop still getting the same issue. So I Q up a half dozen more and doctors still claim to not have any splints. What's the issue? Do they have to be stock piled/storedin the hospital or something?

All right, I'll try it out.

Yes, they have to be stored in boxes and/or bags in the hospital.

Weird. He grabbed anything else he needed right from the stockpile. I guess splints are the odd one out.

Not that it really matters because right now I am trying to drive this fort to FUN and let it crumble. It has lasted far longer then I was expecting already but I don;t want it to limp slowly to it's death. I need to embark in a new area and may as well leave the old one in style.

What's the quickest way to self destruct a fort that does not involve reaching the circus? Want to be done with this fort but I can't just retire it in good consciousness. It has to burn to the ground.

Collapse it on top of itself. Be ready for survivors though who will most likely starve to death in untouched corners.

and blame it on the elves

This.

Just start by digging out the layers above your fort, if you haven't, already. When you've dug out every layer above your fort, you just use channels from above to collapse the topmost soil floor down through the entire fort, leaving the entire thing exposed to the world above.

That may be a problem due to all my dorfs being (intentionally) malnourished, dehydrated and sleep deprived. So could be done but it will be slow going.

>not keeping your little ants happy and well fed with bread and circuses right up to the moment you pull the rug out from under them.

An update. I just got a wave of fresh, healthy, useless migrants. So that will sadly prolong the forts existence long after the others die. Damn migrants ruining everything.

Also somehow the majority of my dwarfs are still happy. I have no idea how. I guess all the engravings I put in the dormitory and pub really were worth the trouble. So atleast they got some pretty pictures to watch before they die. I wonder if future dorfs will make carvings of them

Is this what it feels like when you're one of the many workerdorfs trundling around crafting bullshit stone trinkets or slapping gems on shit for caravans when you hear about the caravan coming to bring news of the fort being elevated, and rather than the baroness everyone expected to get the job, the one that bitches and wants people beaten over protectionist trade policies and irrational personality traits is chosen as the new baron?

I remember that there was a script for an older version (0.34) that allowed to change adventurer to any selected creature(creature becomes playable adventurer, saving all its personal info, items and status). Does 0.43 have it?

Dwarves would Make the Fortress Great Again

Overcome with joy?
Yes.

Oh, forgot this is Veeky Forums, but this isn't /pol/ and some of us are too old to be comfortable with memes taking over real life this much.

We did it, party in /dfg/ for us /pol/ American Urists

I wish all these /pol/fuckers would fuck off back to their board.

Sorry, I love America and Dwarf Fortress.

>Make /dfg/ great again.

>R: 45 / I: 7

ded gen

That was the op image like two threads ago. Are we seriously that lacking in banners we have to recycle the same ones every few threads?

I love making forts under lakes and then opening the totally not intentional floodgates and kill everyone when fps reach 40

Stop making these, it's legitimately embarassing.

Calm down user.

Accurate. At least we aren't the most hostile general in Veeky Forums. In fact we may be the least hostile.

Yo, to the anons that insulted me for not reading the wiki: thanks. The wiki's way better than the vids I've seen.

Veeky Forums*

If there was ever a time to play LCS, this is it, folks.

I never managed to get past the early game in LCS. How do you actually get good at fighting?

Also, which version is best? Toady's last version or the last fan-maintained version?

I've been out of it for a while, but the fan-made I played was superior to the last one Toady put out.

The best way to actually win is to set up different squads and limit knowledge, just like a real life cult. Start your dude as a charismatic guy with a manifesto, recruit 1-3 other charismatic people, have charismatic people recruit squad leaders. Have a squad for fightan, a squad for hackin' (start by stealing credit card numbers until they're really good, then move to hacktivism), and a few rabble squads to run around throwing paint on people. No one but the 1-3 inner party members even know who your main dude is, and make sure all of them are squeaky clean crime-wise. Keep all the squads in separate houses, get a sleeper agent in the police station ASAP to know when raids are coming.

Squads for situational things, like seduction, fundraising, legal activism, etc can be created on a provisional basis.

Your fightan squad will get better from killing people. Start with soft targets (apartments, AM radio, park). You'll lose people, but you can just replace them with veterans/gang members. Natural selection will eventually give you a squad of nigh-unkillable badasses that can take down tanks with assault rifles.

This way, even if you lose your entire organization you'll still have your leader to build things back up from scratch, and can basically win the game through attrition.

why did the fans turn LSC into an sjw fest?

how long does it normally take for therapist to update to the newest version??

It's meant to be rediculous and an exaggeration of real-life liberalism. Try not to get triggered so hard by the very mention that trannies exist.

>the very mention that trannies exist
but they really don't. it's a cognitive disorder

Today I learned a 6-Spd Tremec is a cognitive disorder.

>Send 7 stronk miners with a shitload of food and grog to embark point
>Wall them in
>get what work I can out of them
>simple refuse pile burials, if at all possible
>Rinse & Repeat digging grand & greedy
>Claim

What's to stop me?
Other than ghosts that don't exist lmao you retard

as of the myth release, ghosts will probably require a certain level on the fantasy slider

A cognitive disorder would be something like a learning disability, much like your inability to process information regarding the existence of trannies.

can't trump the bump

I think this ones my favourite yet

There's no more good succession forts, are there? It seems like every fucking one of them on Bay12 either has no players, is just shit, or if it ISN'T shit, there's some fucking faggot whose dorf has to be from an alternate dimension or working for a super high tech secret company or a wizard or some other bullshit.

Just because it "worked" in Syrupleaf doesn't mean every fucking fort needs that uninteresting faggotry.

it's bay12, what did you expect

Okay, so ignoring your totally unhelpful comment, are there any left?

Funny, someone in /cfog/ claimed the same thing about their general just yesterday.

>tfw the new king of all dwarves is a goblin

It's that time again fellow dwarves

>ded thred already
THANKS TRUMP

Kobold Scrapper on the side of the D.S.S space station.
Right by the Trash Chute.

noice.

never stop running, timbuk-fampai

!!!

>his tongue is somewhat long

whats the original of this comic? Is this it? Is it icefrog? ????

I like to lick a lemon lollipop in Lillihammer.

You know what to do

Succubus race mod best mod. They have a fort mode too. Its actually kinda neat because you can convert captures prisoners into subtypes of demons specializing in different skills.

so what sort of cpu should I be getting for maximum df performance? I heard that it isn't optimised for multiple cores, so do modern cpu's even make a difference?

i was actually just thinking what sort of seks mods df has, as I think it would be interesting going around adventuring as a spider man raping fair maidens and bashing any foes with one of my 6 shields im wielding.

Fucking whip scorpions man. I think I'm going to mod them in.

I have an i5 4670k at 4.2ghz and I never have problems. I also play on a couple of laptops and notice bug drops so I reduce embark size accordingly.

The toadman's forums are pretty salty about election results. He's not the kinda guy who would try to push a political agenda with his game, right? Like we don't need to worry about that? I don't mind the homosexual animal stuff because that's documented to happen in nature btw, I just don't want to see the game go to shit because muh virtue signaling.

>19 hours
>87 replies
>28 posters

Shit, are we becoming /ded/?

Succubus Fortress mode has some things you can do to raise the morale of your workers that include being temporarily turned into a nude statue and being violated by tentacle monsters.

Probably just everyone paying attention to the election.

>He's not the kinda guy who would try to push a political agenda with his game, right?
Not with his baby.

Gib link

I wanna see the butthurt

If he wanted to push his political opinions into the game, he'd have done it already.

All right then, that's a relief. Pity the fanbase isn't as levelheaded. On a semi-related note, I never realized how many furries played the game.

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159257.0

sure do

>hardworking
>hates foreigners stealing from honest countrymen.
>likes gold
>likes large construction projects
>not a dorf

The closest you'll get to a political agenda is the introduction of asexuals and homos, but no one gave a shit because it was related to the update it came with

I like spiders, like really like spiders a lot, but those still push my nope button in a way ordinary scorpions don't.