So how common is lying on a resume?

So how common is lying on a resume?

mandatory

How far do you lie? How much lying is too much lying?

It's only illegal to lie about education

Fuck the law. I just want to know how far I'll fool the interviewer.

Nearly every resume ever has some embellishments on it.

And I would say about half have outright lies.

My question is how do you avoid getting caught. What kinds of tests will a tech company put you through?

I have nothing but shitty factory jobs on my resume. I removed all of those and replaced them with two office jobs I never had because I'm trying to break out of factory work. Already got an offer for bookkeeping work that pays more than I ever made at a factory.

Fuck employers, it's not like they'd give me a chance if I told the truth. Lie to get what you want, that's the sad truth of it.

Good luck user

What if they call the fictional office jobs you said to have?

My dad owns a office business, im a NEET that never worked, I was thinking about using that office to say that i worked there and if they call there they will lie and say its true, the problem is... what if they look at the data and find out im bullshitting?

if you're applying at a shit job you'll be fine
if your job is of actual substance
your employer may filter resumes through a scanner that cross references names with automated background checks.Kroll, being a simple example of such a service. The service scales with the eminence of position sought.

Give them a fake number, like the number of a friend who will lie for you.

Better yet, there are apps that let you send and receive texts/phone calls on your smart phone under a different number. Give them that number and when they call just pretend to be a previous manager that thinks you did a good job or something. Easy

is it really? because ive bsed my education before

A bit of whiteboard coding, asking to see projects, asking questions about technology

Judging from the duhvelopers I've worked with, I would expect their degrees came from the Toucan Sam School of Technology.

More importantly, if your job is of actual substance then you won't get through the interviews if you're lying a lot about your capabilities. I interviewed a candidate recently who either lied on his resume or suffered a brain injury since his previous job. Either way, I put out a fucking APB on him and he will not get hired for any legit finance job in this city.

>and he will not get hired for any legit finance job in this city.

youre a prick

Why? Because I don't want my friends at other investment firms to get burned by hiring some liar asshole?

What made him a liar? Some people freeze up on interviews. It happened to me once on a really simple interview question, I'd hate it if I could never be able to get a job in the entire city just cause of a silly little mistake.

He can sue you (presuming your in the US) if he gets turned down for a job and find out what you did.

There's so many ways to easily pad a resume. Remember, the best lies have elements of the truth in them. Don't lie to a company that is going to run a thorough background check (ie government). Don't lie about certifications, including degrees.

The problem you'll run into is that you need to be competent to pull off a lie, and a competent person probably doesn't need to lie in the first place. A dumbass needs to lie to get into the job, but he's too stupid to do it convincingly.

If you freeze up in interviews, you'll probably freeze up in front of a client.

>implying you work in investment
>implying you aren't actually just a shit brained recruiter at a staffing agency
>implying any of this happened

I've had about a dozen different jobs and no one ever checked into my education background, not that I lied about it or anything. But it's still not that common for employes to do. They are more likely just to check your references to make sure you are a good worker rather than run a background check.

That's going to vary wildly depending on industry.

It's only in the last year or two that I stopped having my education checked. Still have a stack of official transcripts that I've been asked for, even though I'm working in a largely unrelated field, and my education was out of date before I graduated.

lied about having a degree and my experience to get a programming job.

only places you shouldn't lie:

government applications or forms
very large organizations (they will probably check your degree)

Truth is an affirmative defense to defamation. Yes, he can waste time, but if the statements are believed to be true, even if they aren't true, he won't have a case.

CFA charterholder here. Stay poor..

i'll have you know I own an investment firm lmao you are my bitch my retarded uncle writes the CFA test

You sound like a turkroach or something.

Cool though. How much money do you manage? I'm always down to meet with qualified asset managers.

It's illegal to lie about education
you can be fired for any lie on your CV though, regardless of lying about it - which is illegal ontop of being a reason for dismissal

ok mr recruiter

I lied about experience. I have a degree and I have the skills. Just not the 'experience'. Two years into the job now. No fucks given.

Practically always. Exaggerate whenever you can't invent.

that is not a problem, i have a friend that works there and can lie for me

the problem is, if they look up somehow the official data, and see that i never worked there. they can research that? because that would put into problems my dad, my friend and myself.