/shmupg/ - Shmup General

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: Need something to play? Check this out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

Blue Revolver
store.steampowered.com/app/439490/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/Shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

Other urls found in this thread:

steamspy.com/app/463070
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/122120489
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

anime

SELDIA ON SUICIDE WATCH!

I fixed a missing bullet missing on a rock in a single frame. This .gif might also be slightly higher quality.

Holy shit

would you recommend revolver 360?

yes, its preddy good
a bit weird but good

La-ti-da.

I don't know if I should feel happy or frustrated. It's easier than I thought and now I'm more confident, but I fucked up by pressing the shot instead of bomb button, could've gotten 1-all.

8th fo fish

>I fucked up by pressing the shot instead of bomb button
you must have been pretty nervous to fuck up such an ovetrained motoric task

i switched to auto just few days ago when someone in this thread told me it can be enabled, so i had to rebind everything, which is probably why.
i'm still slightly agitated though.

Do you really need autofire in Donpachi? I mean, I only ever got to stage 4 as of yet, but intense mashing isn't really required at all I think, just very light, slightly fast tapping because you basically shoot a stream of bullets or lasers after a few upgrades.

But if it's in the game you might as well I guess~

it's easier to just focus on movement, at least for retards who can't into multitasking like me, besides i barely use laser, so it's convenient. and when you close to the top of the screen/pointblanking the autofire gets real fucking fast.

DODODODODODODODODODODODO DODONPACHI

13th for big fish.

Yes, I love it.

Dead thread. Dead Gen.

Does /shmupg/ do any finger exercises before shooting?

I just jump straight into it. I play a few credits before practicing anyway, that's more than enough exercising.

No real need, but it might make playing more comfy. Just do some hand/finger stretches and shake the shit out of your hands. It worked great when I used to play piano.

No. I just get right into it. I need a bit of time before I'm mentally ready though. I play DBCS a lot so it's good that it's pretty fast-paced and there's lots of relatively short missions to just play and get into the groove again.

I don't know how I'd get motivated for an ultra-hardcore 1-hour scoring run of any bullet hell or something. I can't deal with that kind of commitment just like that when I want to shmup. I keep putting off that G.Darius 1cc because of it.

fingering your waifu

Strange, when I'm not trying to follow WR routes without prior training or worrying that I don't 1cc games on my first try, I actually feel happy and content.

That's why scoring is cancer

1cc sluts are cancer

You mean 1cc it once then leave to another game? I agree

Playing in a way you dont enjoy is cancer desu

It's not, just that very few people can actually do it. Everyone should experience it, though.

recommended shmups on steam?

I own Deathsmiles and Mushihimesama, buying Dodonpachi sometime soon

Crimzon Clover is on my wishlist.

Tale of Alltynex Bundle, you can get it on Kinguin for ~$4

Another vote for the Tale of ALLTYNEX.

I swear this thread could be active literally everyday for years to come and somebody will still claim it's "dead". It's not dead until we're all dead.

Have a question. How important is it for you to have the option of seeing a FPS counter in the corner of the screen? Something that shouldn't even be bothered with? Always on period? Option to turn on and off?

Option to turn on and off would be good. Otherwise it should have something like Crimzon Clover, where scores with lower FPS rate don't get counted.

Any fps below 60 or is there a generally accepted threshold before the slowdown is considered too beneficial?

I think in Crimzon Clover it's something like 58-59 fps

Thank you kindly, user. Have a good one!

you got or are getting the only ones worth having

The ALLTYNEX trilogy and RefRain are must-buys.
Ether Vapor and Astebreed are pretty good but they're also pretty polarizing: download the demos before buying them.

Donpuchi seems easy now, i still die to stupid shit in stage 4, but 1-all is inevitable. Guess I'll switch to jap version and try scoring in first levels.
Also I've been thinking about registering on restarsyndrome, can someone answer me if this means even internal auto is not allowed?
>2) Scores must be obtained on one credit and on default settings.
All the basic shmup rules apply - one credit, all defaults is the only way to go. The only exception is that controller functions may be remapped as the player sees fit.

I have no idea.

I guess no one cares, just put in comment if you worried about it.

>can someone answer me if this means even internal auto is not allowed?
I don't know a single player who doesn't use it so yes it's fine.

why is everything going so wrong ahhhhhh

you're not talented enough

>93k break rate
imagine the scores with that break rate and 12,8 multiplier

who is "cave" anyway?

Probably 14 trillion.

ikeda

Talent is fucking gay, I just wanna play.

Put it up your bum to get it nice and warm

Eschatos, Raiden 4, Judgement Silversword Ressurection, Blue Revolver, Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo

astro port bundle

steamspy.com/app/463070
Owners: 706 ± 689
Players total: 524 ± 724 (74.22%)
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 2

JUST

Just gonna note that there's a 50% chance raiden 4 won't work on your computer for, like, no reason.

Isn't Raiden 3 the shit one? Never heard of many problems with 4

>under 1000 owners

No wonder they had to crowdfund that furshit game.

Crimzon Clover is partly uncontrollable. It's partly complete luck if you score good, because the scoring mechanics are way too complicated. Apart from this does it have a good amount of rng, which also fucks with your score.

This meme is getting stale user, you need to find a new one.

Crimzon Clover is partly uncontrollable. It's partly complete luck if you score good, because the scoring mechanics are way too complicated. Apart from this does it have a good amount of rng, which also fucks with your score.

This meme is getting stale user, you need to find a new one.

Honestly, just put the controller down when you're playing CC. Your input actually doesn't affect the ships actions, it's all completely random

It's not a meme, you fucktard. Have you ever played the game for score seriously? It's frustrating as fuck, because you can't really control how you play.

Why not just stop playing cc if it annoys you so much

Because it's still a very good game, despite its flaws, and I already soend way too much time on it to just stop now.

Oh, but you can control it quite fine, if you actually know what you're doing.

No, you can not really controll it. At least on Original, it's way too random, due to all the zako spam in the game, the fishy behaviour of the lock-ons, and the rng.

Take the stage 4 boss for example. It's completely random what kind of turrets it spawns in its second phase. For being able to milk the boss well though, you need it to have a certain kind of turret. So it very easily can happen that it takes ages til that turret spawns, which fucks with your score a lot.

You just nevcer played the game for score seriously, that's why you have no idea what you are talking about.

>You just nevcer played the game for score seriously
That's true. And yet I'm still in top 10 somehow.

Top ten in which mode? On Unlimited it may be different (apart from the stage 4 boss of course), because it's easier to maintain your multiplier there.

On original however, the game is way too full of spam (or better said it doesn't have enough spam like on Unlimited) to really be able to controll your multiplier.

What game?

I used to fucking hate Psikyos and now I can't stop playing Strikers 1945 II.
Did my taste improve?

>not the first Strikers
I'd say it has remained about the same

what's the best psykio shooty game?

Dragon Blaze

I haven't really bothered with the first one because I have an arcade around me that has II on official hardware, so it feels a lot more worthy of my time.

The closest you can name it is D2∀5d, since it's entirely in alien.

Bomber

How important are online leaderboards for the longevity of a shm00p for you guys would you say?

>what's the best psykio shooty game?
strikers 1945

>I used to fucking hate Psikyos and now I can't stop playing Strikers 1945 II.
>Did my taste improve?
No you just developed a taste for shit brown.

Damn, after practicing 2nd loop of DOJ, going back into 1st loop feels so much easier. I can smell 1st loop 1cc soon! As long as I even bother to do some full runs

Why are you practicing second loop if you can't even 1cc the first loop to access the second loop?

Because it's way more effective than one step at a time.

I like the game and wanted to see what lies further. Also I'm pretty sure I can 1cc 1st loop I just didn't even bother to try some full runs for some time. I'd need some more practice to be consistent enough to qualify for the second loop though. I even practiced TLB and on a good/lucky day can even get to the washing machine attack, but it still screws me over everytime.

depends on the scoring system, in my opinion if it's deep and fun players will still compete even without official leaderboards.

And here's the last questionnaire to signal the end of 1 year of /shmupg/. It's been so long since we started, but we've managed to survive. Let's take a look back: boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/122120489

And of course, please answer as warmly as you always have.

Part 1 (Answer on a scale from 1 to 10. You may expand upon your answers):
A) How good do you consider yourself as a STG/Touhou player?
B) How good are your reflexes and reactions?
C) How good is your bullet reading ability?
D) How good are you at controlling your movements?
E) How dedicated and patient are you as a player?

Part 2 (Answer freely):
A) How long have you played STG's, or Touhou?
B) Do you have a favorite game? Which is it? Why?
C) Do you prefer survival or scoring oriented play?
D) What are your greatest achievements? Why?
E) Give a rough assumption, how much do you play per day.
F) What are your goals for the rest of this year?
G) How much have you improved during the past year?

Part 3 (Answer freely):
A) Do you keep track of what other people do with the games?
B) Do you visit any STG or Touhou related communities other than Veeky Forums? If so, which?
C) Do you enjoy watching replays or videos of STG's and Touhou?
D) What do you think of livestreaming as entertainment and the STGrillz site?
E) Do you have an idol? Why?
F) Do you wish the Western Touhou/STG players discussed more with each other?

1A: 4
1B: 2
1C: 7
1D: 4
1E: Varies wildly depending on how awake I am
2A: ~12 years
2B: Akashicverse. It dares to be different while still requiring the same skills and more, and it has a wonderful style.
2C: Survival
2D: 1CCing Akashicverse on medium
2E: ~1 hour
2F: 1CC Akashicverse on hard
2G: Modestly
3A: No, mostly because nobody discusses the ones I really like.
3B: No.
3C: Only for games I've 1cc'd.
3D: Meh
3E: No.
3F: Yes.

>A) How good do you consider yourself as a STG/Touhou player?
B) How good are your reflexes and reactions?
C) How good is your bullet reading ability?
D) How good are you at controlling your movements?
E) How dedicated and patient are you as a player?
A) How long have you played STG's, or Touhou?
4 month.
B) Do you have a favorite game? Which is it? Why?
i guess ccwi. it's cool.
>C) Do you prefer survival or scoring oriented play?
i try to score at least in easy parts if i like the game.
>D) What are your greatest achievements?
none worth mentioning.
>E) Give a rough assumption, how much do you play per day.
few hours.
>F) What are your goals for the rest of this year?
1cc satazius on normal. make progress in ccwi and donpachi.
>G) How much have you improved during the past year?
a lot becouse i just started so i learn something new everyday.
>A) Do you keep track of what other people do with the games?
if someone here gets a great score, i guess i won't forget about it happening.
>B) Do you visit any STG or Touhou related communities other than Veeky Forums? If so, which?
no
>C) Do you enjoy watching replays or videos of STG's and Touhou?
not at all, i prefer playing. unless it's with decent commentary and i play the game atm.
E) Do you have an idol?
i guess mon and clover-tac

>Part 1 (Answer on a scale from 1 to 10. You may expand upon your answers):
>A) How good do you consider yourself as a STG/Touhou player?
6 maybe? I'm decent, but not really "good."
>B) How good are your reflexes and reactions?
6, I'm inconsistent as fuck
>C) How good is your bullet reading ability?
>D) How good are you at controlling your movements?
>E) How dedicated and patient are you as a player?
3, that's why I have no 1ccs

>Part 2 (Answer freely):
>A) How long have you played STG's, or Touhou?
Been interested in what I called "space shooters" my whole life (usually from shareware and flash games), started playing touhou and emulating shmups maybe 7 years ago. Only started playing seriously a few years ago though and only started really practicing with save states and going for 1ccs this year
>B) Do you have a favorite game? Which is it? Why?
Espgaluda, it's just the perfect blend of mechanics I love. I can actually play it for score without having to memorize all or nothing routes and not be too far behind tryhard scores.
>C) Do you prefer survival or scoring oriented play?
Survival, but I love games that score me based on how hard I play when I'm going for survival. Kill speed and efficiency, end of stage life/bomb stock bonuses, etc.
>D) What are your greatest achievements? Why?
Closest thing is having cleared every PC touhou on normal, up to SA on Hard, and every PC extra up to DDC (around when I stopped following touhou). I am not a good player
>E) Give a rough assumption, how much do you play per day.
An hour or two max.
>F) What are your goals for the rest of this year?
Working on an Espgaluda 1cc, I'm pretty close so it's possible.
>G) How much have you improved during the past year?
A lot. I started playing DOJ semi-seriously early this year, but ended up shelving it for now because I'd rather go for an easier 1cc first.