/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

The deaf of dah serb edition
previous mej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Spengies Server Pasta serb consumed by CLANG
pastebin.com/uPudaAyJ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XPIS_aA4lrc
youtu.be/HaBvv3oyvL4
youtube.com/watch?v=KNKvOcH_lqk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

engineering is not dead

thread looks dead bros

DO IT.
fucking sleeping giant is always expanding, slowly, quietly, faultlessly(tm).

/shill

For anyone not up to date: The current update 1.157 STABLE has the same issue introduced when 1.157 DEV came out. The loading in of any player results in a server process shutdown. The logs do not show any reason as to why, neither basic nor extended. At the same time, 1.163 DEV has the issue, just as did 1.159, and so on.

As a result, the Warbros Spengies server is currently 100% out of commission, with no chance of recovery until Keen pushes an update to either DEV or STABLE that fixes this issue. The problem has been reported, but sparked no response or reaction. Attempts to dissect this further with Keen employee rexxar and the discord crowd of keendrones also resulted in "lol dunno".

This issue persists with an empty world, without mods, voxels and no player7faction data, so we can't even start fresh.

And thus, with heavy heart, I bid you guys farewell. I tried. I can't fix what's locked behind sealed books of arcane incompetency.

>robocrafts update pushed the penalty timer for leaving a match up to 5minutes

That feel when your game is so fucking bad that mass droves of players just quit matches partway through to find a new match that you have to punish them to try and get them to complete matches.

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

>The current update 1.157 STABLE has the same issue introduced when 1.157 DEV came out.
>stable has no right to even exist, as predicted

The universe can not contain enough keks for this.

>hull and motherboards
Where's the armor?

>robocraft used to get 20k players regularly
>now it doesn't even reach 8k

>mfw people still play that broken as fuck game
Has it literally ever worked?

Maybe they should abandon their weekly update shit and try to do more stable updates that arent forced shits.

What version was last working? I'll try to find it on github and build a version of SECE against it.

3spooky5me

Also >mfw this faggot has everything covered with heavy armor on the insides

If I recall correctly, 1.153 DEV and the STABLE version prior to 1.157.

armor weighs more than hull

cloaking costs more energy the heavier you are

that is a space submarine

draw your conclusions now

it's a permacloak/jam torpedo delivery service/RP ship.
less mass, easier cloaking.

show us the torpedo delivery service

How many microchips you've chinkrigged today?

>sneeki-breeki spess sub
Well that explains it. I remember the stolen permacloak ship we had on BDLS' serb rip Made of dolom and duct tape with reactor spaghetti exposed. And how it was used and lost during the raid on bolice station. Good times.
NT#1

>empty
putting on the finishing touches tonight, then i'll load her up and see if I can't get a nice gif of them firing or something.

It was a good serb, good people.

How autism do you need to be for starmie'd?
I can somewhat handle setting up a factory in the shittier MC modpacks to make advanced product but I gave up on starmade because of the community

I have still failed to watch anything other than the live action Yamato movie.

Starmade has had a lot of effort put into video tutorials over the past year or so that are really up to date(makes a change). as for Autism level, I wouldn't say any more than Spengies, it's just how complicated you want to make life for yourself.

>spengies is ded again

/egg/pyrion when?

Those infinite length shops always freaked me out

When it gets some more content other than "shoot and build shapes"

Unless you have a serious hard-on for old anime, 2199 is usually accepted as the better version to watch nowadays. They were careful with how they used CG (for ships only) so the battles look great, and they clear up most of the stranger plotholes from the original.
Also from what I just read of the film plot it's a bit less hectic (which is pretty normal with series/film adaptiations).

starmade has potentially infinitely much higher potential for autism compared to spengies because at some point of autism in spengies you get CLANG and low frame rate, whereas starmade is miraculously CLANG-free (so long as you do not perform the sanctioned clown rituals) and runs oddly smooth. the stuff you can actually do is a little limited since there's no coding block equivalent, but logic blocks go a long way.

So what's new in Starmade aside from the upcoming factions update? Last time I played it wasn't even on Steam yet, like... 2 or 3 years ago, I think.

Rails, some neat logic blocks, shipyards that allow for creative mode style designing in survival, a new chunk loading system that seems to help with performance a fair bit, probably some other stuff but that's all I can immediately think of. Oh they added a cutting torch, ignores shields, we boarding parties now. oh and teleporters.

I shall heed your advice.

former /egg/pyrions from the andromeda rising server, do you remember this bug?

No, not really, I wonder what that is about.

I do recall clipping into parts of the ship randomly from angles, though.

i think they finally fixed that bug where olayers would be "stuck" to a ship, and theyd be teleported inside the cockpit

Fuck, that actually sounds like a bunch of neat stuff. Should I wait for the faction stuff or try it again now? Is there a timeframe for the update?

Why is the ammo taking such a long time to get to the clips? Did they nerf the speed from the ammo customizer to the ammo clips

What caliber are those bullets?

None that I've seen, I am hoping that they're going to try and atleast do a round hype-gen for the update to breath some much needed life into it, I recently started playing again just knocking crap together in creative, probably will wait for the big update before even looking for a serb.

Game still has it's own little clangs, last time (re:January) i used the shipyard they just ate my ship twice, but i think people are using them successfully now.

What's the biggest thing you've made in space engineers survival 1x mode?

only 480mm

>only xboxhuge bullets
they should take ~2 minutes to load each bullet into the autoloader

Yet another reason why CRAMs are superior in every way

reminder that there is no reason to ever make a shell that won't fit into a belt-feed autoloader in FTD

A box

>(so long as you do not perform the sanctioned clown rituals)
>clown rituals
LOOK MOM, I BECAME A MEME!

What happened?

A contraption has attracted His attention and serb nearly got kill.
We should create a cult around the Machine and it's connection to our deity of sparks and dying hopes.
Regularly performing rituals that paralyze the server.

youtube.com/watch?v=XPIS_aA4lrc
Corneroids was small potatoes. I remember the hate.

>Reinstalled robocraft after a year
Wow.. what the fuck happened here?! They've barely added anything other than a few big cosmetic pieces and a few gimmicky weapons. Blocks with SMGs now have legs instead of wheels, that seems to be all they have to show for the devtime..
Where are the actual meat-and-potatoes type blocks such as 2x1 ramps/curves? (a more gradient angle using two blocks, one fatter, one the tip, etc. y'know). Where are good cosmetic blocks like exhaust pipes or buttons or wiring or various other greebles?

FtD take in less money (20 a head iirc as opposed to CRATEZ and MEMBERSHIPZ) and have piped out more engineering content with beter gameplay and even better multiplayer. What gives? Can somebody give me an autopsy of this thing, what went wrong?

Cash. Cow.

> what went wrong?
Everything. Let it rest in pieces

Clowns, man.

To think that a single clown can bring down an entire server with as much as a push of a button...
With Clang's aid we shall be unstoppable.

>can bring down an entire server with as much as a push of a button

Buttons are terrifying devices

Fugggg. Now, the problem is I have that taste of building vehicles/mechs and fighting them in my mouth again. Is there some other game out that can scratch this itch?

The concept is so fucking good but this execution is so fucking bad...

right meow

I went to take a dump and we were at page 10
I came back and we're still at page 10, so bump

REM?

>t.notREMdev

>"Server self-CLANG"
>"DO NOT PRESS"

It aint me.

But just in case you'd like to know, here's somethin quick.

>do not press it
>crashes anyways
keen : ^)

You tried your damnedest Ced, there's gotta be a place in Valhalla reserved just for you guys

So what have you found so far N3X15

Is it fixable or is it SECE time

>CLANG-free

None of you fuckers ever found my spaceweed farm.

FUCK DA SPACE POPO

Would that someone would make Corneroids great again...

>sidestairs

Corneroids is and was by far the most primitive game we've hosted.

[DISTANT SPACE SIRENS]

Primitive means you can invest more in its potential future and get hype for really infrequent updates
look what happened to all the games that got "developed" and "updated"

You're saying an unfinished prototype with almost no depth is better than a flawed system that's more feature complete. If that were true we would have played longer than a few months.

>hype for really infrequent updates
Does that mean you're still hype for the next Corneroids update?
A few years just means more time for the hype to grow, right?

I cannot into .webms
youtu.be/HaBvv3oyvL4

Don't fucking remind me.
Why did it have to die?

The devs were Squad-tier scam artists.

Does competitive FtD exist and is there a preferred block count or resource limit?

Is it any good or is the playerbase gay and meta?

playerbase gay and meta

Some tournaments are held on the forums, the player base is made of annoying autistic snoflek faggots.

>Fire the NERF torpedoes!
I'm not an expert on the game, but is there always a single gravity direction? I was thinking, giving it multiple conning towers would be cool

This is my intended idea, it's a test to see who can build the killiest thing(s) on the spot with the only time constraint being your opponent killing you first. A real test of one's FtD skills.

Heart stones fuck that up?

gravity direction is set by clicking on a gravity block, orientation of the block chooses your 'up/down' so you could have fun with that. I think you can activate them with trigger areas, so walking around a cylinder should work, probably a little jarring though.

>space engineers just updated
>again
what did they forget to fix this time?

Fucking, thats what this map I am making is trying to prevent. By being forced to build on the spot, players won't have the time to autistically fine tune every little thing. You have to just make shit and hope its enough to withstand whatever the enemy has. I made it kinda like
......O......
..o..O...o.
......O......
With the Top and bottom big O's being the team's spawn islands, and the middle o's being resource islands.

Is it shit /egg/?

>Attrition-based engineering
...this is the sort of idea an entire game can end up based on.
I'm not saying it should since I don't trust devs any more, but that's damn good.

Should've saved the view from the 'roid.
It was like that Interstellar scene, except viewed from the station and spinning faster. A lot.

I mean I made the map user. Its not polished or well made and I only spent like an hour tops on it and I'm pretty sure I fucked up and swapped the pass/fail triggers so when you win it tells you you lose. And you spawn inside your starting base and have to float out, also it has heartstones which apparently is a bad idea (?). But its on the Steam Workshop and playable now.

Yeah it's an interesting idea I'd watch it but it's not something I'd participate in myself. Doesnt sound comfy.I love the endless fine tuning

I'm guessing the main problem with competitive FtD is the same as every other game? There's no objective way to decide what's cool and what's meta?

There's also a mod called spud something that I believe has predefined units each side can spawn in, and all the vehicles are player controlled only. That might be more up your alley?

make the win/lose thing 7% and you have an American win/loss system.

>Those gears
Explains a lot

Nope. I didn't have anything that ambitious in mind just something simple like this boat vs that boat maybe with block/resource classes that doesn't degenerate into a bunch of heavy armor boxes

>There's no objective way to decide what's cool and what's meta?
Is there a way to create an objective to work towards? Some kind of scripting wizardry to track the progress?
[autism]
Because I have some ideas:
>capture and hold an area/resource node for x minutes
>conquest aka same as above but with multiple areas
>king of the hill aka non-team capture
>deathmatch
>team deathmatch
>boarding - building limited to existing entities, must capture enemies' ships and repair your own; teams with no ships lose
>pursuit - one team rushes to a gate, other team tries to stop them
>clash of fleets - fleet vs fleet, objective is to destroy enemy flagship while defending your own
[/autism]

I'd be down to work on a few of those with you, have you used planet editor before?

>literally blocked to a standstill
Perfect.

>no objective way to decide what's cool and what's meta?

I mean how people want to build cool vehicles and fight other cool vehicles but the metagamers ruin it for everyone and as far as I know there's no objective way to draw the line between a cool, fun entry and a boring heavy armor brick that was only designed to win.

I have seen it and even poked it with a stick aka changed a few variables and nearly frying my toaster in the process but the idea of figuring how to do even some of that in it scares me shitless. Yes, I'm the useless "idea guy". Please don't abandon the whole endeavor.
Still, I'll try to help if I can.

I guess only way to fight it is self-moderation aka calling shitheads out on that.
Besides, players can come up with counters even to that. PAC AA anyone?

youtube.com/watch?v=KNKvOcH_lqk