>LÖVE: love2d.org
>UE4: unrealengine.com
>Unity: unity3d.com
Delete this

Kill yourself

>using that fucking image again
Kill yourself, faggot.

Cry more reddit

I'm curious as to thoughts about coding an engine from scratch and working from a prebuilt engine. I've never been in this general before, but I assume this debate has already been had fifty times. What are pros and cons of doing either of those things?

>instead of using literal dinosaurs, you make a game about old people

kill yourself

Off to a great start you fucking idiots.

pros, you get your engine
cons, you never finish it because it will take 8 years to make

So I'm moving vertices in my shader to simulate wind for trees and foliage. Right now I'm moving them along a sin wave which doesn't look very natural. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for more realistic wind movement?

Depends if you want to make 2D or 3D games

>Let's start a thread with a jam that nobody seriously takes part in and an image that displays mental illness instead of a highlight from a previous thread or progress from a fellow yesdev
You brought this on yourself.

Itch.io stats, lets see 'em.

Could you elaborate a little? I assume that 3D game development favors prebuilt engines.

>coding an engine from scratch
Have fun not having a game. Use a premade one if you actually want to have a chance to make it to the 1% that actually finishes a game.

>a jam that nobody seriously takes part in
Speak for yourself faggot.
> an image that displays mental illness
Back to >a highlight from a previous thread or progress from a fellow yesdev
Please we almost never do this.

The cons of making your own engine are pretty obvious. Takes more time, requires more knowledge. A lot more time and knowledge if you're going 3D.

There are a lot of pros of doing it yourself, though, and you have to weigh these against the cons depending on what you think is important for your game.
- no fees or royalties
- no licensing agreements
- more flexibility and control
- more efficiency, because if your game doesn't need it, you just don't do it
- ability to fix bugs

It's still a middle ground, though. There are plenty of libraries you can use if you don't particularly care to implement your own subsystems, e.g. rendering, audio, collision detection and physics, etc.

>says the guy replying with a stupid anime girl reaction image
Just shut up. Seriously. You're embarrassing yourself.

Context matters breh.
inb4 people berate my 4 minute mouse photoshop mixel drawing

Compound sine waves.
Basically several sine waves, all different periods and magnitudes, added together. This creates a wave that feels random but isn't, so it loops perfectly.

>smug anime reaction image
>Please we almost never do this.
>I don't see the correlation between the OP containing progress and the thread starting about progress
Ever considered doing it, meatball? Of course not, dumbshit poster that you are.

First of all, you need to model how extremities will move more than inner points, and how different parts of the plant have different stiffnesses. This will still be pretty approximate as you will only be able to get what you see on the left, not the right, but that's probably okay.

Second, you want a better model of wind intensity like says.

Repostan progress, what other weird weapons should be in a game

Making your own engine takes so much time that you're probably not going to actually make a game with it. Using a premade engine will always come with limitations, but usually if you're posting here you game isn't going to run into them (unless you're doing something stupid like making a 3d game in GMS) and the major engines come with a shitload of support

There is no correlation. Or what, you think that people won't shitpost if they see a progress pic in the OP?

So if I have a real interest in the mathematics and intricacies of audio and physics, it's not necessarily a horrible idea?

Disintegrating Pistol
>(use): destroy Disintegrating Pistol

its not that weird desu. also already suggested faux camera obscura. i mean, you can always at least blind things with the flash.

popularity never ever

Alright thanks. I'll try stacking sin waves for more randomness.

Dino Memory game dev here, what kind of dinos should I have in my game?

>(use): destroy Disintegrating Pistol
so like flare gun?
Camera is already there and it blinds enemies

youtube.com/watch?v=3X2ALG9iGPg

whoops forgot the cap.

If you're interested in the programming involved in simulating them in an appropriate and efficient manner, sure.

Also, don't think of making the engine and making the game as two different things. Rather, you are making a game starting at a lower level. If you go into it with a goal of making an engine and not just a game, you will unnecessarily generalize and lose benefits of making your own engine in the first place.

If you can reuse some of the code for another game, good. Just don't strive for that.

easy to draw/model ones

what about glorious nipponese swords?

Forgot to quote

> earnings $7

Do you have an optional pay ability?

Taser
Ice pick
Crow bar
Potato or Tomato cannon
Fire extinguisher
Heart Shock pads (?)
Toy water gun filled sewage

i think people can choose to pay on anything they download off of itchio.

now do the last 30 days

Well I'm finally making my first game.

heavily inspired by the warhammer fantasy tabletop game. I never got to play it much due to rural/money issues so I'm finally going to just make my own version of it

this is the prototype, an orc party vs human crossbowmen doing movements, running, shooting, charging (getting reflex shot at when charging) and finally normally attacking

still so far to go though, next is adding visual dice rolls instead of just putting them all in console

I want to try my hand at a sort of JRPG (just a prototype though) but I was wondering, should the combat scene be a separate scene in Unity, or should it be a separate piece of land in the same scene, and I just teleport the player there when the battle starts?

neat, thanks.

Neato. What tools are you using? And have you thought about adding a zoom function for people that can barely make out 16x16 sprites?

You can disable optional payments

Game has been up for 4 days

it's just unity and sorry, you can zoom in and out just didn't think of it during the battle record.

still looks like shit though, using a free tileset

how do you feel about the initial traction?

God these guys were the masters of visual gags

So I've spent some time trying to make some foliage, and I've ended up with this, it's more vector art inspired then low poly but I think it fits better.

Obviously the colours need to change some, and I needed to disable the ssao so the trees look a little flat atm. it not really exiting progress, but I've spend most of my dev time over the last couple of days working on the design document trying to get a better sense of direction before I spend a lot of time refining on implementing a new features.

that is one sexy comfy game

How could I forget?

So what direction are you going with this?
Please don't listen to the edgy gridmark etc suggestions from some threads ago
The world needs more comfy games

Expected more to be honest, but the game is a buggy prototype mess with almost no gameplay

what game

panstas.itch.io/world-of-horror

GIVE ME A CUTE GIRL SO I CAN DEV

316 | 134

Calm down, pedodev.

the background image on your page is really hard on the eyes, friend.

cute gril piloting mecha

Needs AA.

Also flat shading is not memepoly. Nodevs like to confuse the two.

>Had a phone big enough for google cardboard
>dropped it and shattered the screen a week before lenses came in
>Didn't have big enough phone for google cardboard
>Getting mom's old phone today, excited to finally try vr
>phone has fucked up gyroscope and google cardboard app is not compatible with the system

VR is like, my dream. From the moment I saw Matrix as a fucking kid. I am slowly accepting the fact that I'll never get to taste it.

Kill yourself

>pedo
Cute doesn't mean kid. Stop projecting please.

Very cute but I was thinking of a cute girl that I could use for a game.

but girl does, had he said:"give me a cute WOMAN" he wouldn't come off as creepy. Doesn't help we have loli games and shit here.

Look her up.

dont bully bokudev edition

Anyone know any good tutorials on indie game trailers? I've been working on mine for a few days now but it still looks shitty made. I'm using Vegas

its not that great compared to the vive, but still pretty cool
Daydream is much better because of the controller possibilities.

also you really need 1440p, 1080p isn't quite good enough
samsung galaxy 8 series will have a 4k screen for the larger ones, get hype

I use to try it with my galaxy s3 720p pentile screen + constantly drifting gyroscope before I got a note 7, it was awful

Fuck off with that no bully shit. It's why you are such a faggot in the first place.

Im not even him and I made this picture you faggot.

Late reply, thanks much.

To what extent is it my responsibility to stop people getting themselves permanently trapped in a place they weren't supposed to go

If they go out of their way to get out of bounds, put a secret there.

Depends how much the player has to exploit to get there.

on mobile

Best bet is to get someone else to do it. You can probably find someone who will do it for free but even spending a little money for your main piece of advertising isn't a bad idea. Good editing is a skill that requires a lot of experience.

thats pretty decent for being out for a day

While I really love the time mechanic in MM and I've wanted to play/create a game with the same idea for ages I don't think this is the project to try it out.

This project will always be about getting comfy, and as for the direction I'm going in I've set the mc as a travelling alchemist that's exploring the world looking for common(to specific areas) and rare items/ingredients he can use to make positions and stones.

I have a long list of possible research and brewing mechanics, and concepts for trading, items, regions, ailments, travelling options, etc.. you know the usual suspects, but I don't want to get in to details so early on.

Yeah, the only reason I've disabled the ao is because the ssao wasn't playing nice with the fog and I haven't decided whether or not to use ssao or ao textures yet, and I think I'm goona let the performance gods decide that for me a little further down the line.

btw does anyone here have any advice on how I could go about adding some sexy physics to the bridge in the pic in unity?

Can someone take a look at this code? It's giving me some trouble: hastebin.com/jadifikexa.cpp
Basically, I have a multidimensional vector, full of 1s and 0s. A 1 means a block goes at that space, and a 0 means it's empty. I wanted to make fewer collision checks, so I wrote this code. It's supposed to recursively go through the vector, and if it finds multiple 1s next to each other, increase the width or height (then change those spaces to 0) so there's only one large block, instead of many small ones.
It works, except sometimes, the blocks will be too tall or too wide. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Fake cuteness

AA not AO

agreed. i didnt think anyone would want to play it so it was nice pleasant surprise to see.

Sounds cool. Remember to have interesting characters and/or animals.
For the bridge, look at hinge components, I'm sure that's what you need.

have you gotten any comments or feedback yet?

>getLength

i'd say REAL cuteness

Entirely yours. If it's possible for a player to get stuck in a one-way spot, then give them an option to escape (like how Zelda puts you in the entrance of a dungeon if you quit halfway through, or the undroppable Dark Sigil in Dark Souls that lets you warp back to the last bonfire at a cost, or even in WoW where you can trigger the death state at any time if you get stuck)

Oh yeah, I changed the name of the function but I forgot to change it right there. That's not the issue, though.

its weird though because the date is bugged. it shows my last update as the creation date but i actually uploaded it wednsday.

yeah, i got some feedback from vampiredev which was nice to see and an user speedran my game in the thread and gave some feedback. nobody else commented though but i appreciate what i got.

Thin black cotton gloves with small rubber dots on them, for grip.
(couldn't find exactly the ones im looking for, but
thinner than in pic related,
no red color like in pic related,
no rib like in pic related)
Effect: ???