/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ - #609 - Ribbon Dancing Metal Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent and Upcoming Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GKyBizoxWSg
youtube.com/watch?v=jnjBQueWwok
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Incorrect.

FIRST FOR FOX

Metal's left hand has 6 fingers

3rd for Wave

How did that happen?

I'm completely lost.

She has an ego but doesn't want to show it. That's my guess anyway.

The Japanese are, apparently, really unfunny. It's no wonder they sided with Germany.

Japanese humor is literally:
>Do the joke
>Explain the joke

That could be funny but Japanese do it so awkwardly.

Sometimes the Japs can be REALLY funny

I think I've found something that's more confusing that pic related.

Its not that confusing

That one actually has something resembling a joke.

Dafuq is going on there?

I don't think you guys understand Japanese humor. It's more sudden and surreal than Western humor.

She's eating his candy

Storm baka!

Were any of you hyped after the first trailer for RoL was showed off? The one that supposedly had better graphics.

I take it Storm is next?

what's the deal with the guy asking if it's his girlfriend though?

What was going through that user's head will forever be a mystery of the universe.

It isnt his girlfriend, she's dating the frog

She really is retro...

>Expecting anyone outside of the western hemisphere to be intentionally funny
>Ever

I really hope Sally is retro

Not a Sonic-related statement, but yeah, I had a feeling something is a bit off when I had first played those games. Never realized how some the events in there were a bit dark, but not much, though. Still loved those games

>What is 9/11

To be fair, lots of people inside the western hemisphere aren't intentionally funny either. Like Pontaff

What about TAWOG? That british show has a lot of good jokes

It was supposed to be scary, not funny. They failed
The west still has better writers and comedians than anything the east can offer.

But she has fur...

but it was still funny

Yes, but on accident. I meant intentionally funny.
Sad thing is Pontaff are leagues above the Jap writers, and they're not even good. They actually made Sonic semi likable and made him seem like the dude with attitude he was meant to be

>Britain
>Not in the western hemisphere

I mean, unless you're using the definition of the western hemisphere to mean everything that isn't on the world island, but even then Britain is outside of that.

And?

>Pontaff is good
Ho boy

So she's furrier down there?

I mean, animals don't actually have pubic hair like humans, so that wouldn't even be the case.

Sally is bae

They're not good, just better than what we got previously

>Pontaff
>Above anybody

Top kek.

I hope so, makes it better

So "baldy mcnosehair" is better than "I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"?
No

Are you saying wasn't Sonic likable before Pontaff?

>So "baldy mcnosehair" is better than "I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"?
Yes it is. They make Sonic and Eggman out to be the characters they should've been rather than the generic nice guy and bad guy roles they were written as before
Yes. He was a generic "nice guy" before them

>not even red ribbon

youtube.com/watch?v=GKyBizoxWSg

>They make Sonic and Eggman out to be the characters they should've been rather than the generic nice guy and bad guy roles they were written as before

What does Sally call her stripe

>I have no argument so I'll just post a reaction image
K

The Stripe of Acorns/Nicole's Indicator

Sonic has been a generic "nice guy" since 1991. It was only American and European marketing and merchandise that gave him an attitude.

>They make Sonic and Eggman out to be the characters they should've been rather than the generic nice guy and bad guy roles they were written as before

Exactly. Only proving my point that the west, and people like Pontaff, have done him better. Also see Boom, which has a better dynamic between the main 4 than the games have ever had

Please explain how Pontaff has done him better.

Because quite frankly, I'd take Japan's take on Sonic over "lolbaldymcnosehair."

Simple. They've given him an actual attitude and made it clear he's a snarkster rather than focus solely on how much of a "nice guy" he is like the Storybook games did or Unleashed did.

>Sonic being snarky and sarcastic literally every game except maybe 06 and even then
>somehow this means he was only snarky under the care of shitty writers from Colors to Lost World

That's weird

He was snarky and sarcastic, just not enough

He had more attitude in the fucking Genesis boxart than in Colors and Lost world

>They've given him an actual attitude

Bullshit. Sonic has always had an attitude in every media in the franchise, & most of them was done better than Pontaff ever did it.

why does Robotnik need a nickname for his nickname

so is naming pubes

"Ivo Robotnik" is his actual legal name. "Dr. Eggman" was a name that Sonic started using to mock him that Robotnik later appropriated.

The problem is, while I enjoy his new attitude, the material he has to work with is really lame. And this is SONIC we're talking about. I'll be honest, the humor/delivery in sonic was always a little lame, but Colors/lostworld are standout.

He was plenty snarky and sarcastic, you seem to think that's literally all Sonic should ever be which is dumb.

I'll be honest, I liked his attitude and his dynamic with Tails in Colors, but ever since either Generations or Lost World was where I started growing tired of it

I find it funny how there is this one user who wants to take away all of Sonic's snarkiness while the other one wants Sonic to be nothing but a snarky asshole

I blame Lost World specifically because Generations' story was just a non-entity. Lost World was when it went from ignorable to unbearable. In fact I blame Lost World for doing that too a lot of stuff introduced in Colors, like Wisps, slower platforming, the final boss, and so on.

>"haha we called this character a funny name let's all have a good laugh about it for 5 minutes before awkwardly seguing into some hackneyed, half-assed plot point presented 100% without irony"

Why do people like Pontaff?

>Why do people like Pontaff?
Because it's self aware and doesn't try to take a franchise about a blue talking hedgehog too seriously

Colors wasn't terrible and Eggman's PA announcements were actually legitimately funny.

I did snicker when Sonic brought up Baldy McNosehair in Lost World and got pretty much immediately shot down because the joke ran its course but that was the only thing decent about that game's writing.

>haven't been here since thread #356
>we are already on 600
Christ. What did I miss? I knew there was some more shit flinging regarding Penders going on when I left. How did that go? Any news about the movie?

>Colors wasn't terrible
Yes it was. Roger's voice was the most unbearable thing from them that I had to change the VA to jap just so I wouldn't get a migraine.

We did get news about the movie. Tim Miller is directing it.
Sonic ScanF took all their comics down
Unleashed finally ended
Did you miss the Mania and 2017 stuff too?

This. I'll admit that Generations and Lost World have some moments that actually made me chuckled, but overall, they were just really bland.
The only time the series took itself seriously was in Shadow and 06 and those games were old as fuck and was never brought up at all. Get over it

Stock homo syndrome.
Ian will make Sonic great again!

>The only time the series took itself seriously was in Shadow and 06 and those games were old as fuck and was never brought up at all. Get over it
I dunno, Unleashed, Black Knight, and Secret Rings tried to take themselves seriously at point and they all came off as laughably stupid

>tried to take themselves seriously at point
No they didn't.

Unleashed did it right in my opinion. I don't know why people say Black Knight was so good though.

>he doesn't skip the cutscenes the first time, every time they play a Sonic game

Seriously senpai?

>Ian will make Sonic great again!
I don't want slap in game form.

I can't stand the wait for this new character.

Sonic almost died in Unleashed and Secret Rings, and in the latter he went ballistic after Shahra died. Fuck's sake, Unleashed ended on a sappy as fuck friendship song. And Black Knight had Knuckle try to kill himself and Sonic almost died there too
That's usually the best option but since Sonic HAS to have a story, might as well play it fast and silly

You know Ian didn't write the Slap, right? In fact he's the one who actually managed to help the comic recover from that, right?

>Unleashed ended on a sappy as fuck friendship song.
Are you against friends or something user?

Ian didn't do the slap, but saying that
>He doesn't want the slap in game form

>SAY HELLO TO MY NEWEST CREATION, THE HYPER METAL EGG WARRIOR
>C'mon Egghead, I got other things to do than mess around with your mech
>B-b-but I worked real hard on this! The paint alone took weeks!
>I don't care, I got important stuff to sort out
>How could... how could you be so SELFISH
>SMACK A DEE DOOSH

Rest in fast

Why don't I write Sonic games

No, it was just corny as shit and really dumb considering that Sonic barely knew Chip yet the game expected us to believe they were the bestest friends ever

Well, if you watched the cutscenes with Chip, you'd understand they got on with each other.

youtube.com/watch?v=jnjBQueWwok

>wanting Eggman breakdown in game form

THAT WAS.....PAIN?

The people who like Pontaff are in the minority. Thankfully.

The two were friends throughout the entire game. This isn't like Sonic & Elise where they barely saw each other, as Sonic & Chip were together the entire game.

>Not wanting Ian's Eggman
>Not wanting the perfect mix of MASTER PLAN and goofy motherfucker
Say what you will about the other characters, but that man writes a perfect Eggman

So Sonic isn't dating that girl anymore?

Nope. And he can't anymore anyways. Mandates forbid him from dating anyone. But honestly the comic is better off for it anyways, as is Sally herself

Eggman gone fucking insane after constantly losing battle after battle after drift race after Extreme Gear after Shuffle party after battle is a pretty good natural progression really.

Other villains are either already quite mad (Cortex) or have reasonings and actual human emotion of conflict (Wily) or have other adversaries other than one guy and a few of his friends, Eggman believes he's the best, why should he lose ever? A battle or two is understandable, 20 odd years? You'd start to not care about collateral or yourself after a fashion. Colours did it a bit at the end.
Fleetway and Archie did this pretty well really.

I doubt it'll be worth any hype.

I kind of want 2017 to be the result of a mix of 200 and 175. Eggman has a massive breakdown after losing again, but he quickly becomes hyperfocused and goes full MASTER PLAN, and steamrolls the entire planet

no