What led to modern Greece being so butthurt towards FYROM?

What led to modern Greece being so butthurt towards FYROM?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(Roman_province)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(ancient_kingdom)?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The fact that the FYROM claims the title Macedonia. When in fact its a Bulgarian shithole that would make Alexander laugh thunderously and Phillip II cry

Greeks are always assblasted.

Real Macedonians live in Greece and they don't like those northern Slav shitters trying to co-opt their heritage. You can make a good argument that it's a silly thing to get upset about but Greeks are IMMENSELY proud of their history in a way that most people find hard to understand.

I was talking to a Macedonian grad student about this at a party and when I brought up this subject she told me that the real reason is that Greeks took land from what is now Macedonia during the Balkan wars and repopulated it with refugees from the Greek genocide in Turkey. She said that the Greeks don't want to recognize 'Macedonian' as a cultural identity because that would imply that what they did was ethnic cleansing, and that the fact that Macedonians are not Macedonians from ancient times is irrelevant to this, since the modern term comes from the Byzantine name for the province.

Can anyone tell me more about this?

>since the modern term comes from the Byzantine name for the province.
What.
It was named Makedonia since the 8th century BC

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(Roman_province)

It took me so long to realize this guy was a parody of Tarantino

None of that province is where FYROM is you mong

American in greece for vacation.

I went to the museums up north and ancient Macedonia is actually in northern Greece. So the area that is now Macedonia isnt really where ancient Macedonia was, part of it was but most of it is where modern day Pella is.

So basically it's like since Socal was mainly Mexico it would be like calling all of California Mexico.

It says right in the Wikipedia box thingy that it overlaps with modern Macedonia, as well as Bulgaria, Greece, and Albania.

Yeah but the country is named after the Roman province, not the culture from the Hellenic era. She told me the "it's not REAL Macedonia" issue isn't the real conflict anyways, but rather that Greeks don't want to feel bad about stealing clay.

But where is the bulk of the Province? Greece. Where the term Macedonia originates.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(ancient_kingdom)?wprov=sfla1

The Republic of Macedonia roughly corresponds to the ancient kingdom of Paeonia,which was located immediately north of the ancient Kingdom of Macedonia.Paeonia was inhabited by the Paeonians, aThracian people,

The Greeks actually took that land during the Balkan wars, though. It would be like if Mexico took most of the US in a war and started calling their new land "USA" and then started pestering the remaining US states to change their name to something else.

What? The Balkans war happened in the 1900s. Greece was calling parts of its territory Macedonia for Thousands of years

Nah f am it's named that because of Alexander the great. I went to his birthplace (in greece) and the tour guide was telling us all about him. She was greek and told me that they don't like it being called Macedonian since the Greeks call the area where they have now Macedonia and that up there in the country of Macedonia they have a bunch of stuff related to Alexander the great.

I mean how can you say it's not about the hellenic Era when the flag is a copy of the symbol from ancient Macedonia, vergina, greece ?

But the Thracians were essentially wiped off the face of the earth, so that would be a shitty concept to base a nation state around

So you base your country on the people to the south of you?

>Greeks are IMMENSELY proud of their history in a way that most people find hard to understand.

It's because it's all they have.

This. In fact modern day "Greeks" are nothing more then Greek speaking Turks and Albanians.

Bullshit. Turks are Turk speaking Greeks. Greeks are Greeks with some Turkic and other outer influence.

I think you got it reversed.

>She
Did you do her?

The actual reason is that people both in Greece and Macedonia are historically illiterate and their knowledge basically ends on
>muh Alexander.

The name "Macedonia" was riding like crazy throughout the map of the Balkans. There was the Ancient Macedonia (with constantly shifting borders), the Roman province of Macedonia, the late Roman dioecese of Macedonia, the Byzantine theme of Macedonia and finally the Ottoman Macedonia. All those Macedonias occupied often disjointed territories. For example, the core of the Byzantine Macedonia was centered on the modern triangle of Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey and had no common territories with the pre-Philip ancient Kingdom of Macedonia.

What some people call Republic of Macedonia (and Greek autists call FYROM) is called 'Macedonia' because it was the core of Ottoman Macedonia. The name stuck and people who lived there during the Ottoman period finally started to call themselves "Macedonians". It was only later due to
>muh Alexander
that the name started to be both point of contention and a source of crazy historical myths.

>ancient kingdom of Paeonia,which was located immediately north of the ancient Kingdom of Macedonia.Paeonia was inhabited by the Paeonians, aThracian people,

Yes and no. Paeonia was definitely outside of the core of the Kingdom of Macedonia, but their status is more opaque. Paeonia could have been as well one of the petty kingdoms of Upper Macedonia, which was a patchwork of semi-independent tribal areas that sometimes recognized the rule of Aegad kings and sometimes (until Philip of course) not. The ethnic composition of Upper Macedonia was, judging by the very scarce information we have, a complete clusterfuck.

I keep hearing this meme and it drives me up the wall. Any Mixed Turkish Greek so called "rapebabies would be brought up as Muslims and henceforth known as Turks.
Also Turks are not " Turkified -Greeks", we are Altaic in origin and likely mixed with anatolians.If anything, Anatolians were at one point Hellenized

Turks are turkified Greeks, Georgians. Laz, Armenians and Anatolian nations. Turkic people are asiatic, they look like Central-Asians (because they are). Turks however are mediterranean (Greeks), caucasian (Georgian, Laz, Circassian, Chechen, etc), middle eastern (Kurds, Armenian) and Anatolian. Basiacly same es the USA is with its European ancestors.

Maybe they'd care less but cultures with god-tier histories tend to care quite a bit regardless of how well off they are. Try going to Rome and being loud and obnoxious and American by bad-mouthing Italy and Italian culture. Most people will just give you dirty looks or tell you to shut up but at least one guy is going to punch you in the fucking face.

Fuck.

FUCK!

'Macedonia' wasn't a country when that war happened. Greece took over Ottoman Empire land (or liberated it as they saw it).

Because of shit like this.

(It's a mock-banknote, depicting the White Tower in Thessaloniki, Northern Greece. The implication being that Greece's second largest city actually belongs to them).

pic

All of those people are just Balkano-Anatolians, forming a genetic continuum.

>WE WUZ GREEKS N SHIET
Friendly reminder that Macedonians are the African Americans of the Balkans.

To the Greeks the true Greek land goes as far as the Danube. To see Slavs squatting in lands that were once hellenized triggers them hard. One of them hijacking the name of a former Byzantine theme triggers them even harder.

>To the Greeks the true Greek land goes as far as the Danube.
[citation needed]

t. Greek