/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Oook.cz Poschengband Comp
>(Shadow Fairy Swordmaster who starts with a Rune Sword in inventory, yes easy_lore and easy_id are on)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=197

>DCSS 0.19 Tournament is running until the 20th! Teams lock on the 11th
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

>Nethack annual DevNull tournament is running until the end of November
nethack.devnull.net/

>IA 19.0 beta (9b12edf) Windows - with level-up crash fixed!
www20.zippyshare.com/v/SLn9DYZx/file.html

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Yeek

What would a multiplayer game designed by roguelike devs be like?

wtf is a yeek

A niglet

Remember. Hero worship is pathetic and bad for you.

Dicku worship on the other hand is good and just.

All hail Dck, king of kings, who bravely sat aside and contemplated the meaning of the fist as his apostoles paved the way for the fall of the Devil's team.

Snake is amazing. A branch so tedious it makes you want to die rather than keep playing

tedious

Trying out that runesword fairy in pseudo. Everything seems to work fine except, for some reason, running. Pressing . does literally nothing.

I am baffled.

>Everything seems to work fine except, for some reason, running
the save has roguelike keys enabled. Disable them in the options.

Nevermind, there's an alternate command set in the options that's on by default.

dragonslayer in doomrl

how wield

be berserk
have levels in brute
get naked and drop your whole inventory

that's the old way

you can't trick me

the old way was just "be beserk"

you have to be naked and poor now too

man becomes woman wallet
woman becomes meat toilet
both are ugly and disgusting
that's why many people prefer to stay single

fine, i'll try it

t-time to play on nightmare for the first time

Turns out a game gets boring after you streak 12 wins in it.

Hopefully someone more autistic will beat my record because I don't plan on trying again.

Why don't you give Ferret some design advice?
What a fucking autist lmao.

Have a rough doodle. I planned to add a ton of extra weapons but wanted to keep it simpler
Sounds like it might be fun to try come up with something for both, though I might get lazy with Yred.
Tell me more if you can, sounds interesting, or was your image post in all there was to it?
Oho. And here I was thinking yeek were elona-centric. Might be fun to try do one either way.

But roguelike design is all about reducing tedium.

I think I may be retarded.

I took Krav Maga as my self defense style in Cataclysm and I can only feint and not hit. What am I doing wrong? I just started.

Feint means you missed.

Either you have a ton of torso encumbrance, or you're trying to punch a rat or something.

You are reading too many guides and not crashing and burning enough.

Remember, the most fun you can have in a roguelike is by heading face first into it and learning as you go, reading how to win or break the game will make you regret it later on.

After you uncover the unknown theres no way to cover it again so the thrill of the mistery will be dead forever.

Thanks. Maybe if I didn't have my fucking winter coat on i'd be better off.

I just read the sticky for good traits to take and I just want to make sure i'm utilizing them well so I can see more of the game faster.

I'll take your word for it and make sure I don't look anything else up, though.

The best way to go is to try out things on you own based on logic and then if you really can't figure it out then just check out on that particular part on the wiki so you can continue on with the adventure.

>you can't skin zombies and fashion an undead costume in dda
>filth doesn't hurt morale at the advantage of making you less noticeable to the undead
>you can't sleep in a pile of pulped zombies to gain stench
Why is DDA so close minded?

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT THE MUMMY

Pump STR, take muay thai. 2 shot hulks with your leg kicks of annihilation.

CONGRATULATE THOSE WHO POUND THE TUMMY

I always check all the spoilers everytime I play a new roguelike

It's strange because I only do it with roguelikes, with other games I mostly just check early tips and then try to figure things out on my own

what is it with *bands and having like 20 variants on the same enemy?

game?

No idea but it makes me want to fall asleep
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

dude i know ur trying to nap but there's like 20 zombies on your post right now

It's the result of tolerating bloat instead of removing them immediately.

it's kind of the opposite of what makes sense too

if you screw up nethack you just die and start a new run (which you're gonna do a billion times anyways), whereas in non-roguelike rpgs you might permanently miss out on shit without spoilers

I'm on a real bad luck spree. What do you do to break the mojo, user?

just stop playing for a while, drink a cup of coffee or something, clear ya mind

my general rule is that if a roguelike needs a wiki, it probably has enough problems it's not worth playing anyway

You guys keep saying to put everything into dex but strength gives me more dodge in crawl

dude i agree
see: wikipedia

stop playing when drunk and/or tired

that's because you're wearing heavy armour or have really low strength with medium armour

>see: wikipedia

How to play roguelites
>play blind
>die to something
>look that thing up
>repeat

How to play roguelikes (aka ADOM and nethack)
>spent 50hours reading all the spoilers
>shitpost in /rlg/
>call out crawl for being shit

I guess I do it because of permadeath

I want to maximize my chances of winning, so I check the spoilers

Losing 20 hours of progress because I died to something that I didn't know anything about isn't very fun to me

I don't like missing stuff permanently in other games either, so I might make an exception and check out a guide if I know that I can miss something very important

to crawl's credit, it is a lot better at the no spoilers required thing than it used to be

Its still insane that it took them until last year to even allow you to read monster spell descriptions

Is there actually a roguelike that severly punishes you for not knowing something instead of just making stuff easier if you know it

ADOM isn't a roguelike

ADOM

>tfw you have to literally make spreadsheets to calculate armour levels
How hard is it to implement something that tells how much the armour affects your EV/spellcasting

adom banshee straight up loses you the game

yeah there is no excuse for them taking as long as they did

hopefully webtiles having an in-game irc bot that tells you all the formulas (but they can't put them in the game! that would be too confusing!) continues to put pressure on dumb shit like this

Why do people even play ADOM

because the roguelike genre is so wholly stagnant that people will play even the shittiest games

Why do people even buy ADOM

shit like this is why adom is terrible btw

Because its a good game with lots of content which lets you become a literal god both plot and mechanical wise

nethack cockatrices are a classic

oi biskup

go to bed biscuck

well there's always the classic Angband "hmm what is a drolem it's probably a chump like all the other g's in the game" (it breathes poison for 900 damage and will oneshot players who don't resist)

or nethack where actually figuring out how to win the game without reading spoilers is extremely difficult and i think involves pissing all your money away at the Oracle over multiple runs

Crawl still needs spoilers to actually know how dangerous a spell is
Knowing the description for LCS doesnt tell you that it deals 100dmg

Do we actually like or dislike ADOM

>closed source commercial roguelike
we hate it

le spellpower meme
le learndb meme
le every spell has a different accuracy formula, but you don't need to know them :) meme

We dislike the game but we dislike the creator even more

Its the worst of the old school roguelikes but still a good game

There is a reason why there are so many nethack and angband ripoffs but not a single adom ripoff

probably because adom is closed source

closed source
and the only thing you can glean from adom is how not to design a game

mummy tummy

what is the best weapon to pain brand if a quick blade isn't available?

ebin

whatever hits the fastest, obviously.

>unid scrolls
>not just shafting yourself immediately
>or digging into the wall

I did, but just think if I didn't have those options.

if you have remove curse you should wear id rings

Why the fuck do crawl queen bees fly

>not just shitting yourself immediately
I know that would be my first reaction.

I read unid scrolls, wear id anything that's wearable.

I save identify scrolls almost exclusively for potions.

fr: make bees vulnerable to holy

READ IMMOLATION
HIT THEM

if you're doing shortblades, rapier

I thought you arent able to be shafted into vaults

vault creators can specifically set areas as "no random tele into", which also prevents shafting etc

but that's not set by default

daemon

druglike

Do you guys wait until you have 2 of a scroll before you readID them or do you go straight ahead and read it?

Cute mummy, would ask to have feet evoked.

2 in case you need to get that random read id tele or fear

well what's the use in identifying a scroll that you can't read anymore

i only use 1-of scrolls if i'm in a shitty situation and panic-using consumables hoping for blink or tele

Oh I get it now

Unholy Cathedral nukes when you kill everything, so you lose all your items if you actually bust your nuts and do this before killing the last guy, and then it turns out that you don't even meet the reqs to spawn the Dragonslayer, much less wield it

Good thing I just used Cheat Engine to give myself infinite health, and later, infinite invincibility orb duration so that I don't have aneurysms trying to grind at DoomRL Nightmare

This is why Elona+ is the greatest roguelike. In Normal mode, you could just experience 400 hours of dying again and again and actually learning (no wikicodefagging) every single knowhows in the game while still progressing steadily.

Then play Inferno mode and get to Act 3 in a jiffy as proof that you know the game. Truly no other roguelike is as flexible and more appealing than Elona+

REAL PURITAN HOURS

SMASH DAT MUTHA FUGGIN RECITE BUTTON

why not just spawn yourself a dragonslayer sword if you're cheating anyways
why do thigns the stupid way

suck my pancake batter bisquick