/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

scholar edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=1il8e8uo9bgtNBU0udCetOHesN4mkkDCVB_z6zdMgReY
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi
obsproject.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why not include the upcoming tournament links in OP?

Rules/Main Docs: drive.google.com/open?id=1il8e8uo9bgtNBU0udCetOHesN4mkkDCVB_z6zdMgReY

Email: [email protected]

I will post bote until toady adds botes to the game and we can have real fishing

more like at-last-a-new-image-for-the-op edition

yeah, that makes sense, its good to add them

>not reel fishing
its like you do it to piss me off

amazing
a real bote

im really fucking new to this game and confused as all shit about everything

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

thanks

Embrace the plump

wut is that supposed to be helmet shroms or somethign

If you don't harvest your plump helms in time they become sentient and murder your dwarves.

What the fuck.

This world's three main races are crocodiles, bats and toads. There are also some sloths and olms. Human's only option is an outsider.

...I might have broken the generation.

I'd really hope in future some animal men could become major civs in some worlds. Would be cool to see wars between humans and toad men.

the way I learned is I watched an interesting LP from a guy I like and retroactively learned all the shit myself after having watched some hours of that.
It's a pretty inefficient way, but I got pretty bored of reading wiki pages and tutorial videos quick.

typical result of duped creature raws

>The Great Pepe War

Reposting from old bread so people can finish voting

>A.Run with Verliko to the horrible forest from where you came from, hoping that its not an ambush, since you are not sure if you can trust him at all, after him not stopping your friends from dying
>B.Stay, and let go who used to be your friend, and who stopped you from seeing your pals die, and face a Woman Wizard who may want to kill you

For now, we only have a vote, and it chooses A, going back with Verliko to the haunted forest from which you came out before

B.

B.

press b to pay respects

B

Does the game use region's raw or global raw for character creation in Adventurer mode?

The raws are the same
What you are posibly refering to is genetic code, which is more of a regional thing

I mean, in the raws there are set possibilities for variations in species (like eyes, hair or skin color)

yes, there are

B, he let our friends die

SHIOT

So I built a small temporary fortress while my miners dug out the final deeper one, but after I moved, my dwarves wont bring the food stocks. I deleted the old stocks and built new one, but they wont haul them over and keep running half way across the map to go drink some booze. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

make a stockpile

So how do I increase the pool for this? Do I just mess around with raws (region or global?) or is there more to this.

First for fuck the hobbit movies

pic's name pleases me
Just look genetic guides on the forums, and you'll find everything you want
dont know what you mean by the pool

agree

Jesus, Senshi really is the perfect definition of a dwarf's stupid but brilliant behaviour
Now Im pretty sure that the mangaka played DF

How popular is df in non english speaking countries?

judging from Likot Udendeb, it has a rather livid russian following.

it also has wikis in french and japanese, but I don't think those get updated very often.

I'm swedish, but I don't know any other swedes who play.

i dont think anyone personaly knows anyone else who plays

somebody post him the pic of Toady making a selfie with koreans

Haven't heard too much about DF in these Slavic parts Poland I mean. Might be just unlucky, though

Why are so many Poles shitposters? Are you a shitposter?

My cousin introduced me to df years ago. Idk if he still plays. Maybe he's posting on this very general.

Aussie btw.

Actually, several of them were nips. Supposedly one of them was making a yandere simulator or something, and another some sleazy danmaku with underage girls.

All I know about Poland is from watching a cool 60's movie about the teutonic wars. Also I think my hot teacher from a few years ago was polish, but I cant think of anything else.

Where should I embark niggas.
Anything but the Sisniter Forest for now.

>so many pole shitposter
Wait, what.
Yeah this country is not exactly too popular.
>yandere simulator
wait do you mean
In the freezing north.

But there is no freezing north!

funny fact: your world has no goblins, and the world is likely too young to have visitors and shit. you're bound to have a boring time playing.

generate a new, slightly larger world, and let history run for at least 125 years.

e mbark on t sfhh

I'm fine with how the world is though.

What did he mean by this?

Embark on... the coldest place in the world?

Where is the best place to read the adventures of this dwarf and company?

i think its something to do with living in the great paki isles

Terrifying ocean bordered by something nice

>be outsider
>get some people so bogeymen won't appear and things will be easier
>arrive at city because thirsty and hungry
>the dwarf starts to attack goblin bowman
>can't stop them from killing each other
does this count as pacifism

I'll be playing my first ever game of dwarf fortress when I've finished reading the tutorial

Immediately dig down and never stop, friend. That way lies salvation.

So uhh, the dorfs just elected a vampire in a walled off cell as mayor

silly dorfs, well, guess no more mercenaries/performers for a while

>She has a very good feel for social relationships
>She personally finds friendship burdensome
>She dreams of raising a family

Free him

Niet

i have a fleeting suspicion that this will result in my demise

Baller ass adamantine is downward

Maybe. Or maybe it will lead to glorious fiery purification and the ushering of a new host of magnificence on your world.

Kill it or release it before the liaison comes. If not, no trade agreement for the year.

kissmanga

fucking kek - ive still got to finish the tutorial

I believe in you user. You're not the kind of guy/girl/xender who needs a tutorial. Go out there and bring glory to the world. Strike the earth and dig deep!

>xender
I smiled

FUCKIT IM FUCKING DOING IT

I HAVE SOME BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE FROM RIMWORLD SO I CAN FUMBLE ANONG

>try bragging about killing an emu (because i need food)
>so many rumors about ravens attacking me or my companions
w h a t

Can I just lock off the area and have my marksdwarves execute her from behind the wall if i fortify it?

>I RECENTLY LASHED A KEA IN HALF

Digging only down is a bad idea as your dwarf will have no way to get back and starve or dehydrate. What did you think was going to be here?

glorious fiery purification and the ushering of a new host of magnificence on my world?

What happens to old forts when Today releases an update?

You mean if old saves are compatible with new versions?
Major versions: usually not.
Minor versions: usually they are.
In either case, check the release notes and always back up your saves.

Can I actually create a greenhouse using glass?
Or will it at least prevent snow from covering my greens?

Erased by angels

No, you can't order them to attack a citizen of your fort.

Actually, you can create a greenhouse out of whatever material you want. A tile that has once been exposed to sunlight will count as being exposed to sunlight forever, no matter what you build over it.

Looks like I have some questions to answer from last thread.

>160088642
Yeah, we talked about that. This has really been more of a learning experience for me as this is the first time I've ever used a trip and I now onlyh use it for official updates like this one and when I'm answering a question so don't worry.

>160088642
As several said after you, the "winner" of each match as in the last man standing will be magically healed for their next bout. Never used DFhack so I can't say that I'll be using it for the tourney at all.

Update Time

Things are going a bit slower today possibly because I haven't posted in this thread yet. We are still at 10 combatants but, I think 2 more are on their way so we are getting close.

I would like to get the opinion of /dfg/ on something. The arenas shown in the docs and in the rules pic are not really representative of how the arenas currently look. I am a vanilla-fag to the core and have never ever use a tile set or a graphic set. However, I am willing to try and install one if that is the will of the community. If it was up to me everything would stay vanilla including the gifs I will be uploading and the combat logs. I will let you guys decide on this one. I'd set up a strawpoll but, I'm going to work in a couple of minutes.

As always keep submitting combatants and if anyone posts artwork here now or during the tourney there is now an art tab on the main doc. ( I really need to set up an external site because that doc doesn't do 9dots work justice)

Rules/Main doc: drive.google.com/open?id=1il8e8uo9bgtNBU0udCetOHesN4mkkDCVB_z6zdMgReY

Email: [email protected]

totally butchered those quoted posts so

Those who said Senshi is the best waifu last thread were right, if ur waifu no Senshi ur waifu a shit.

kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi

>headshot a kobold with novice archer
okay I know that my two companions distracted him but jesus that took only 3 arrows. are kobolds really that stupid?

I would prefer vanilla, or another nongraphical tileset. Graphical sets are controversial at best, but even among graphical set users the representations of creatures will be different enough between them that the user of one may not recognize a creature from another, so creature graphics are only going to be a palliative for a minority of users. However in nongraphical tilesets, a brown h is a hedgehog man in every single one of them.

If you want to appeal to as many people as possible, CLA might be a good middle ground, as most of its creature graphics are both ASCII-like and graphically representational at the same time.

I like you, user. Delve for the spiral, even if you miss, you'll end up amongst the magma :)

a couple of questions tournament-kun

Im the user who made the image, and I felt like I could add some math in the picture so people can calculate how much points do they have availbale based on the size of creatures told on the wiki
That way they dont actually have to ask you for points, which makes everything quicker
If you already have something like that, pls tell so I can update the image

second. Are the combats gonna be streamed , or will you upload the combats in gifs after the match
I would like some real life betting while I see the matches ( a little slowed down, vanilla arena combat is simply too quick to apreciate finely), that would be so cool

that would be it for now

What do I do with a legendary bone animal trap worth a dozen supply caravans in trade value?

Catch a fuckin rat?
Seems a shame to even sell unless I order in a shitload of steel stuff next time the dwarven caravan rolls by... guess that answers my own question

This is annoying as fuck. How do I fix inventory?

shit, he really is based as fuck
Its like he was directly taken from a DF save
Can we adopt it as our general-tan If such a thing does ever exist

Unless we could somehow come up with an entirely new kind of tan for ourselves, I'm 100% down with japanese cooking dwarf.

Is toady actually retarded? Why waste space on the craftsdwarf screen like that? Pearl shit? Really?! The fucking thing that isn't even in the game? Goddamit this guy is stupid

Thanks for the advice I will consider it. Though as I said Vanilla is preferable to me as well.

It would be nice to add the math however, there are things I take into consideration when distributing points for certain creatures especially those with a natural advantage (multiple arms, NOPAIN, flight, poison, etc.)

As for streaming I did think about it but, I've never streamed before and I don't know how well that would look. Plus I don't have any proper streaming software, well, at least one that makes df look good.

Let us know how trading that artifact goes.

He really embodies the spirit of DF and DF dwarves

>Manages to do stuff nobody thinks a normal being could do
>has an innate knowledge of the world and their living beings
>Has no sense of danger
>OP as fuck when most needed, but quite the uncautious type normally
>His axe progresively breaks as the manga goes on
>>adamantine

And he has a lot of OC lying in the internet, because the manga is quite famous
So... consider it

At least put the manga in the OP pasta

someone posted a wonderful mace last thread and I had to draw it.

>streaming
You can do it if you want user, We trust in you

And yeah if it goes on, please slow down the video as it goes by, and pause from time to time to read their status/combat logs

if you want to give it a shot try

>obsproject.com/

Its free, good, easy, and famous as fuck, so you'll have tutorials in the internet

Did I read betting? Interesting...

Menshi will make /dfg/ great again

My preferred tilesets are square 12x12 ASCII, but really any ASCII tileset is fine.

Timbukdrew, you're my hero.

Pic related is the mace, for anyone who doesn't want to look for it in the last thread.