> Play Demo Day 11
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Play Halloween Jam 2016
itch.io/jam/agdg-halloween-jam-2016

> Next Jam (Dino)
itch.io/jam/agdg-dinosaur-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
Haxe: haxeflixel.com
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jV5aUghrLVQ&t=1676
soundcloud.com/delolo/mub
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/StaticMeshes/LOD/
gematsu.com/2016/04/caligula-over-500-potential-party-members
discord.gg/vd2mt
makemeapassword.org/
pastebin.com/BV9NvneU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I posted wrong image sry

My blood runs cold!
My memory has just been sold
My progress is the centerfold (progress is the centerfold!)

I'm glad I kept this in. Goblin Overlord doesn't give a shit if his minions get in the way.

youtube.com/watch?v=jV5aUghrLVQ&t=1676

>copy A* pathfinding algorithm from internet
>re-work it from java to GML
>it just werks
huh.

who else /LODmodel/ here

Like the 4th time I've posted in these threads w/e
Anyone needs music, I'm just bored atm with nothing to do

ex.
soundcloud.com/delolo/mub

you don't even have to do it yourself anymore
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/StaticMeshes/LOD/

That's the beautiful thing about algorithms. They're just abstract rules. As long as you know how to implement it properly it will work in any language.

>tfw too intelligent for unity

>tfw to intelligent to fail for a bad intentionally used meme

can you do ambient

I don't use UE4. I just use decimate in Blender to make LODs.

can you do sound fx
I could use some generic fantasy buff/debuff a guy samples, and a sound effect to signal that something magically teleported in

Depends
Instrumental ambient (like, using real instruments) or with synths?
Mmm, let try it, if it works I'll post it here

I would need some advice for my project's story:

I first created 16 main characters for the very first time, but later decided to expand more characters per different groups:

Alpha = 16 - The main roster
Bravo = 10
Charlie = 8
Delta = 16
Echo = 16
Foxtrot = 8
Golf = 16

In total, they're 90

And with the Alpha Unit's parents are 26 so in total are 116.

The question is, is it bad if I introduce way too many characters at once?

To be clear, I plan to add the Foxtrot and Golf characters for a second game.

But now I realized that I'm kinda talking about a Private Military Company's complete roster so far.

What would be the most innovate mechanic to put into a traditional turn based RPG or tactical RPG?

Miyazaki came out of retirement to save anime.
Who will be the one to save indie games?

(You)

no worries ideaguy to the rescue
if you time it right you get extra damage

why does visual studio always take so much time to open reeeee

Please tell me this is some sort of bait.
Even some of the best stories ever told rarely have more than like 20 main/important characters.
There's no way an indie dev could make interesting personalities and stories for 116 characters. And to be honest no one is going to care about that many people.
Just keep the story centered on Alpha for now, flesh out those 16 characters. See where it goes from there.

That is entirely too many main characters, holy shit what are you thinking

Damn, that's inspirational user.
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna make a game that saves all indie games!

You're completely right, at least from Bravo to Golf are nothing but Persona 3/4/5 and Danganronpa 1/2/Another Episode/V3 COPYCATS.

I try to make games with massive rosters like DMM, fighting and Lego Marvel games

If you're talking about that many characters existing that's not too bad
But you can't possibly make the player interested in the individual personalities or stories of that many characters. Even 16 is a stretch

The Danganronpa series have 16 characters, though but that's for like depending on what new entry is coming or something

you don't have a schedule of when features are going to be complete and you'll be submitting to greenlight?

enjoy development hell

>real instruments) or with synths?
doesn't matter as long as it could set the tone for nature-type environments. i could also use a few songs like the one you posted

Every day I set a goal for something to be finished that day. Usually I set the goal pretty low and I end up implementing multiple things.
Sometimes I get stuck on something and end up spending a day or two on it, but that's okay.

It's interesting how much it helps to just set a small goal.

I could use some advice.

I'm working on a small RPG game, very basic.

I think I have a good feel for the map, the enemies, and setting things up how I want. But I'm having trouble with classes/skills and the characters. I know what the party will look look, but I don't know how I should go about doing things.

How do I decide how much HP a character should have? Or set up their leveling up?

One of the characters is a buffer, his primary job would be to assist the party, but how should I go about making him a buffer and giving the player some control over this aspect besides just giving them the choice of what move the character uses?

Also any advice would be appreciated.

Sure, I could do it
Any way I can msg you besides here user?

>forget microsoft account password
>go to change password
>please use a password that you have never used with this account
>create completely new password that i only use with this account
>forget password
>repeat

EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. TIME.
JUST LET ME USE AN OLD PASSWORD YOU FUCKS

Not even examples like Caligula might even help
gematsu.com/2016/04/caligula-over-500-potential-party-members

discord.gg/vd2mt

can we change the dates of the dino jam to be closer together? 2 weeks is way too long of a window

would like something like Dec 10th-11th much more

Tried to make my own nearest neighbor scaling algorithm since SDL won't scale palettized surfaces

And uh, as you can see I have some work to do

In Unreal 4 is it possible to do a raytrace to get a button in a widget?

I'm trying to make a radial menu where only the angle of the mouse relative to the center matters and I think that's the simplest way to do it

I'm asking because line trace doesn't like 2D vectors and I think it uses worldspace rather than camera

I'd play an Advent Cirno JRPG!

I swear to fucking Christ, Microsoft. Why you gotta make me jump through a hundred hoops?

It doesn't matter. You can start right now. Or you can start a day before the jam ends.
Do whatever you want.

what do you mean? if you know the center, and you can get the x/y location of the mouse, sounds like you already have the angle

Surely the biggest tech company in the world would realise by now that the actual content of the password doesn't mean shit, it's only the length that matters
Combinations of cases, numbers, and symbols just make it harder to remember and don't improve the security at all

well it does matter, nobody plays games submitted at the end and the more complex games take a long time to work on

makemeapassword.org/

I swear to god Microsoft is the only company that I have trouble remembering my password.
I WONDER WHY

Google has the same issue with not allowing old passwords, but thankfully I haven't fallen down the rabbithole yet like I have with M$

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I already tried that system rather than raytracing

I can't get a degree value above 180 degrees so I gave up

it's a herd immunity thing
if everyone has to include the extra characters than the dictionary by definition has to be larger

you probably want atan2 rather than tan

what said
despite what some anons may think, its not a competition. Just say "done in X days" on your game page.
Most people wait till its done to play all the games since there are so many last minute entries

the simple way is probably just do it from 0 to 180 then say if cursor.y < center.y, result *= -1;

What are you talking about? No one submits games until the last day of the jam anyways, because they want to spend as much time as they can making the game. So every game will be submitted at more or less the same time. There's also plenty of people that don't play jam games until the jam submissions are done.

And if someone is making a complex game then they have more than enough time to make it, or try to make it.

spooky

reminds me of missingno

Randomly generate a strong password and store it in a keepass database

Any more help?

doesnt even matter. i made a new password but i cannot sign into visual studio because i get an error has occurred on this page which results in the continue button not working.

this is all garbage.

Typical Microsoft.

I have a struct that keeps what items have been gotten in a stage
When the game initializes, I set the bools to true. But when I use it in a function or print it, it says its false.
Does this have to do with reference or shit? I cant figure it out.

language? code?

post code on pastebin

but probably you are modifying a copy of the struct instead of a reference to the struct or something

I really didnt want to show my shitty ass code but whatever
pastebin.com/BV9NvneU

oh apparently i need to update IE
for
fuck's
s a k e
a
k
e

Got this fella working. Not sure if I want him to do a hit that will kill most enemies, or a small chip damage hit that's really fast

I don't know c sharp at all but don't you have to call new StagesInfo() for each index in the array?

Anyone here ever do 3D/2.5D in Gamemaker? I kinda want to try it, looks neat.

I re-drew all of the ships, but the difference is hardly noticeable when zoomed out.

part of the problem is that your ships and your background are both shades of blue, so they don't really stand out

You mean the constructor?
Its not a requirement for a struct.

>"Maybe if we do that they will start using IE again"
>"Seems like a good idea, let's do it"

I'm going to make a game!
And it's going to be a pixel platformer and I'm going to kill myself

That's completely 2D. Just layers of sprites staked on top of each other to give a 3D illusion.
It is kinda neat, but honestly it's pointless. You could make a game that looks just as good as that with normal low poly 3D in an engine that has proper 3D support. And it's easier to just make a 3D model instead of trying to make multiple layers like that. And you'll get the benefit of being able to do 3D things like tilt the camera, or have 3D character movement.

I never get random statements like this throughout the thread.

normally I ignore them but whats going on here, is it just the same person

Even if the background isn't a blue planet, it's still unnoticeable when zoomed out, though it looks decent when zoomed in a lot.

I updated to IE 11. Now it requires a full computer restart (which I can't do since I have a bunch of windows open that I'm working in, and IE doesn't register the update until the restart. Even then there's no guarantee that it'll work.

So here I pirating fucking free software hoping that it'll behave better since it'll probably have forced sign in disabled.

Nope, just me venting my lack of talent and creativity

You really need to change your art style if that is an updated version. The blue battle ships still look like something from a early 2000's flash game. You need proper shading, more detail and totally different colors.

Either go with simple 3d models or do 3d models and render them as sprites or hell, do pixel art if you have to. Just get rid of the terrible MS paint looking vector shit, seriously.

your space by default is dark blueish
your ship is a semi-saturated blue

I was going to post a screenshot from another 2D space game but I just realized the only one that looks any good is FTL

So like, are fonts free domain or do you have to make your own?

Hey man, pixel platformers can be fun. Just don't do the same exact thing that indie games keep doing. All of them are super generic Mario-like platformers sometimes with a weapon or some other little twist.

Try something different. Drill Dozer for example, that game was a platformer, but it had a unique drilling mechanic that allowed for plenty of unique interactions with the world.

Join on another persons project and learn from there, honestly most people are just glad to have help even if it's from somebody learning.

Being able to talk about your project with people who genuinely care and give good advice is worth more than you know

Some of them are, but a lot of them aren't. There are a lot of font websites out there and they will list the terms of the license.

Fresh VS install also requires a restart btw.

Depends on the font, however unless you are distributing the fonts as an actual font file, there's nothing to worry about. If you make font sprites, then you are in the clear, copywrite wise.

Depends on the font. Some are free, some aren't. Just like any other art asset.

i know. i already restarted my pc and got all my projects back up and got back into my workflow. massive pain in the ass.

plus i try not to shut down my pc whenever possible because 1/4 times i start it the fans go nuts and make awful sounds and to this day i havent been able to identify the cause ;-;

you need to write down your passwords, sempaiiii

>plus i try not to shut down my pc whenever possible because 1/4 times i start it the fans go nuts and make awful sounds and to this day i havent been able to identify the cause ;-;

do they use the 3 pin or 4 pin connector?

but then whats the point of requiring new passwords user? if its a security thing, surely needing to write down passwords is even less secure?

Progress on airship interior texture.

I think I'm happy with the floor, but the walls might be too messy and/or repetitious.

Thoughts?

This kind of shit is what prevents me for feeling bad about pirating software, specially microsoft stuff.

>download a desktop password manager like KeePassX
>use the built-in password generator to generate strong and secure passwords for websites you use
>create a password database that's encrypted with a master password that you memorize

there, all you need to do is memorize a single strong password

>do they use the 3 pin or 4 pin connector?
honestly i have no idea. built this about three or four years ago and don't remember a lot of the specifics.

did you have any suggestions?

and if you lose the password to the password manager?

>spoiler
I'm having that issue, one of the fans doesn't start properly and I have to give it a small poke with a stick and it starts working perfectly. I should buy a new one.

I'm getting weird angle values with acos and they're so weird I can't explain why they're weird

I'm doing the best that I can, but I have no artistic ability. It would take forever to make 3d models of everything too.
The ship is blue because it's shaded in its team's color.

that is literally my exact problem. the case fan starts spinning either super fast or super slow (can't tell) and makes a loud buzzing sound. if i power off, push the fan a little bit, and restart, it usually works

>and if you lose the password to the password manager?
That's why you write it down on a piece of paper.

Jesus, is good ol fashioned notepads too good for you peopel?