/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Jackie Chan rises from the ashes
>Oook.cz Poschengband Comp
>(Shadow Fairy Swordmaster who starts with a Rune Sword in inventory, yes easy_lore and easy_id are on)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=197

>DCSS 0.19 Tournament is running until the 20th! Teams are now locked.
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

>Nethack annual DevNull tournament is running until the end of November
nethack.devnull.net/

>IA 19.0 beta (9b12edf) Windows - with level-up crash fixed!
www20.zippyshare.com/v/SLn9DYZx/file.html

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19867
twitter.com/AnonBabble

which class would be the most fun to play with draconian metamorphosis?

pic unrelated

Allahu Enchbar?

do NOT hug the warlord

People called it a challenge and it was originally formulated as a question asking for conducts to play as kenshiro. It is harder than most ordinary crawl characters, or literally "challenging". Therefore it is a challenge despite whatever incredibly arbitrary definition of "challenge" you are using

Dance'd it like Tukima would

PCB is more interactive simply by virtue of being 2-4 times as long as the average crawl game.

Checkmate!

Explain how any class in PCB is more interactive than MiBe in DCSS. PCB is literally
>grind at 555 if old version
>spam detection in dungeons, instant tele away from danger
>grind big heal items and rockets
>win

yeah trying to get your parents to still love you when you come home wearing a fursuit is difficult too

that doesn't mean that pretending to be a cartoon character is a "challenge game"

Mystic or monk are two classes that won't totally screw you.

And all *band casters are demonstrably unfun, so...

won't they?
i know the martial arts for dragons was only recently added, idk how good/strong it is compared to FIST

angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19867

10/10

Do you consider it a requirement that dicks come to the thread and say something is a challenge to make it a challenge even if by every fucking definition of the word and general consensus it is a challenge? How is a game literally intended to be particularly hard (as in, FUCKING CHALLENGING) because of conducts not a challenge game?

lol

because that one isn't primarily about the conducts/difficulty
it's about muh chinese cartoons

Okay, let me fix that:
I swear that the challenge that I shall play, shall be intended by my actions as a challenge, a whole challenge and nothing but a challenge, so help me God.

Yeah, that's pretty much it, honestly.
PCB is that weird grind game that lots of people liked for a while.
Like Elona.

Why are you on Veeky Forums if you hate anime so much?

This aint even a girly slice of life we're talking about here.

Does Blade Hands work with a SpEn? It sounds good considering the +3 apt.

Yes?

>sexy lizards
Lizard is inferior to snek

yeah but he wants to fucking ROLEPLAY as his favorite anime

No, spriggans can't use blade hands because they don't have hands

It's not worth it. UC even with blade hands takes a large investment to be good, and blade hands hinders casting + it benefits the most out of Str which as a SpEn you're short of

Your UC apt is also kind of ass

>pretty much all the early quests give nothing useful for death swords
I just want some fire resistance so arch-viles stop almost killing me.

what version of DCSS is everyone playing.

>death sword
user, be sensible. Don't do this to yourself.
No man should ever feel so much pain.

are there any GOOD roguelikes with tiles other than crawl, unnethack, owh+ and ivan?
and no, tome and adom are trash dont mention them

Im at 0.17
0.18 is too much of a removefest for me

It is a

ch allenge

h

a

l

l

e

n

g

e

Intended as a

ch allenge

h

a

l

l

e

n

g

e

Meant to be played as a

ch allenge

h

a

l

l

e

n

g

e

On any context it is a

ch allenge

h

a

l

l

e

n

g

e

>DCSS
Meh.

The version you love.

youre intentions are worth fuckall
your roleplaying as youre favorite cartoon character

currently probably 9 out of 10 anons are playing 0.19 because tournament

after that we're all going back to trunk, excluding a few autists who can actually have fun playing crawl and its older versions

I CHALLENGE you, yes YOU (you) (You) to play a Kenshiro conduct game

It is a challenge now

i can't even play dcss
the tab key on my keyboard is broken, and pressing that one button makes up about 90%ish of the """""gameplay""""

>after that we're all going back to trunk excluding a few autists who can actually have fun playing crawl and its older versions
Not really.
There's less and less people in /rlg/ who play DCSS anymore

People have been literally saying that since 2013

logically follows since the developers haven't added anything new since 2013, and instead have just removed features and added in work by other independent people.

>People have been literally saying that since 2013
Not really.
I've looked at all the images in the threads in the last year and I can literally (figuratively) say that the dcss images have stopped being the majority. Every new FoTM craze is a silent scream for help to get out of the dead hands of a dead game nobody loves anymore but merely tolerates.

there aren't actually less and less anons playing it
the game is new player-friendly and much easier to get into than most roguelikes, so it has a constant influx of new players
there are anons who get tired of it and quit, but they're outnumbered by the number of new players getting into it

apparently mystic doesn't even properly work with metamorphosis

monks and force-trainers get bonuses from martial arts and from their damage stances, but mystics are completely overlooked

If DCSS isn't the most popular game, what is?

Dcss is still the most popular game exactly because of what said.

But I'll tell you what it's not, at least around here.
It is not the most loved game. Or the most enjoyed. Or even the most fun.

It is just "that game that was pretty fun and everyone played and it's easy to get into so why not hey look there's a tournament".
DCSS has become the fast food of roguelikes.

all the other roguelikes/lites/ishes/esques combined probably

Death from hubris again

PCB is even worse design wise than crawl and it's probably the second most popular game. Elona isn't much better. Sil, Infra Arcana, Brogue, etc. are more widely praised but that probably comes out of only people that like them ever posting about them outside of discussions

The thread is just in denial that most people here like crawl or else they could have found something else to play in the 4 years it has existed. They just like shitposting about how bad crawl is

>The thread is just in denial that most people here like crawl or else they could have found something else to play in the 4 years it has existed.
we have
it's just not roguelikes

Okay, something else to play within the roguelike genre

roguelike music

Elona, C:DDA, Halls of Mist, PCB, Demon, Crawl variants like gnollcrawl and DCSS:Circus Animals, DoomRL, CoQ, ToME4, Sil, Incursion, roguelites like armo(u)red commander and liberal crime squad, and others
I haven't played an actual game of crawl in ages

permadeath basketball

>Crawl variants like gnollcrawl and DCSS:Circus Animals
scraping the bottom of the barrel I see

kek
I actually have more fun in DCSSCA than nucrawl, but I've only played like one game

CA has Djinn and that's all I ever wanted.

>tfw monk of craft rocking a +3 bow and +3 arrows by xp level 5
enchanted ranged weapons are really strong early on holy shit

>monk of craft

What we really need is a new RL like crawl with the massive amount of races / classes to play. That's what makes it actually intriguing, that you can play dozens of different games within the same game.

It seems like everything is going for a 3-class system these days, which is fun for a bit but doesn't really let you sink your teeth in. Brogue doesn't even have classes, and as fun as it is, that really hurts the game's replay value. I'm super bored of mashing the autoexplore key for 2-3 minutes every time I start up a new character. Sure, once you actually get the ball rolling there are tons of different playstyles and a load of customization, but if I want to play a mage I don't want to be rerolling 20 times until I get a lightning staff on the first floor.

For all people here bitch and moan (rightfully) about DDA, when there's actual discussion of it it's pretty nice. It doesn't happen often, but there have been threads where DDA discussion almost matches DCSS discussion. I can't think of any other game that boasts that besides the occasional FoTMs before everyone gets bored of them.

the meme combo is nature, i know

but i want to punch things to death with my mana branded weaponmastery'd dragon talons

Why does /rlg/ pretty much never talk about anything but Crawl?

What other roguelikes do you like?

I enjoy CDDA, and for Android Pixel Dungeon

Any tips for furyband? I've an dcss and after leaving the first town in Furyband I got murdered by a leopard

I play Dwarf Fortress

>tfw 52 AC
gargoyles are nice

oka is nice for gifting me a +9 artifact storm dragon armor

I find that one slows my bow down a bit too much though so started using my +5 artifact chain mail instead

>Gr
>SDA

Gargoyles are for wearing robes and casting spells with high AC and EV at the same time.

Get levels, get loot

*bands play more like permadeath JRPGs

Is there some roguelike set in something like Tolkien's Moria, but with peristent dungeons (so not Angband)?

There's a "spoilers" in the help menu that lists a lot of the dungeons in the game and their difficulty levels, that'll help you figure out where to go.

Death sword is supposed to grind a lot. Whenever the next level resist checks come, eat more shovels and picks and clear floors, mine, reclear and keep re-doing floors grinding packs of item droppers for essences

>mining for cash
>ever

stop giving bad advice, I may suck at PCB but at least I've never given advice this bad

It's not like they even have anything useful to buy, unlike rings.

blackmarket can always have ego shit in it

but yeah digging for money is something i've only done on classes like hex mage that start with no attack spells and a 1d4 dagger or some bullshit

How did the "DCSS is new player friendly" meme start?

it has tiles that dont look like shit and a mouse interface
roguelike newbies are invariably tileshitters

It doesn't rely on spoilers or unintuitive behavior

What to do when cleared Lair, Orc, Elf, Vault 1-4, two Lair branches and dungeon?

Depths kills you, Vault 5 kills you, Slime kills you.

>Depths kills you
How?

Hubris because Vaults is so easy

Hey I've been playing cata for a bit and I have a nice shelter and I've noticed that for whatever fucking reason my little crafting area isn't using any of the water I have near me.
Did I fuck up somewhere? I'm sort of in need of some clean water and some items that use water for crafting.

Did you just pour out water on the ground?
That won't work

No I have it in gallon jugs, glass bottles, water bottles. It was working before and now it isn't.

Is it purified?

I'd like to GET it purified. Here I made a helpful screenshot thingy.

Is it because my area's dirty?

is it inside that #
take it out and sit it on the ground or something

Is that inside a shelter?
You don't even need the water in a container,
you should be able to use it straight from the "shallow water" tiles.

I have my water right next to me and it still doesn't work. I carry my gallon jug, it doesn't work. I go sit in the shallow water tiles and try and it doesn't work.

Is there like some way to disallow items from being used in crafting that I might have activated?

SpEn^Tumtum kills any number of death yaks

>doesn't rely on spoilers or unintuitive behavior

sounds like Elona+ to me

is there any crawl combo where you don't need to train fighting?

blasters like DEFE

Can a bot beat the game without training fighting?

Can a bot beat the game without training any skill at all?

Check out all my hps holy shit, its always nice to take a break from edain splatting

Are attack wands in DCSS worth using?

>Can a bot beat the game without training any skill at all?
it's impossible not to train at least 1 skill unless everything accessible is at 27

what's the most protective shit I can craft with rags and 6 points of tailoring

boonie hat

I don't understand why I can't do anything with my water.