Was wrong about pretty much everything

>was wrong about pretty much everything
>still worshiped by all and thought of as a genius

???

He taught us all about Socrates. That's his gift to the world.

>literally invented the modern method of logic
>using said invention to retroactively attempt to refute him

wew

>I have logic but I've never read anything written by him

How can this be?

He didn't write anything in English

read a fucking book, troll

>invented modern method of logic
Not quite. Hes contribution is similar to the alchemy before chemistry and physics.

Modern resemblance of formal logic is from the time periods of the scientific revolution.

The only logic system known to the world prior the second half of the XIX century was Aristotle's.

In fact his logic is still of use to this day; yes predicate logic can be used to analyze validity of arguments but in live dialogue the rules of the syllogism and the rules to transform a statement into another are extremely useful.

You can define syllogisms using first order logic which has been proven to lack completness in the sense that you cannot express everything in this system. That's what higher order logics are for.

Also, many methods of inference used by mathematicians were not formally provided by aristotle.

Noy true, syllogism can't be rendered properly in first order logic, but in predicate logic as I said before.

All men are mortals
Socrates is a man
Therefore Socrates is mortal.

If you formalize this in propositional logic it would not give any info on its validity:

p
q
therefore r

You need predicate logic for that.

Predicate logic is just an umbrella term for logics that use predicates. First order logic uses predicates as well as any n order logic, first order logic just meas your cuantifires can only act upon variables inside predicates but not predicates themselves.

Maybe you are talking about inference rules which are perfectly applicable in first ored logic both in a semantical and syntactical way.

>Father of logic
>Single most influential philosopher in the recurrence of one of the greatest revolutions in ethics in 200 years
>wrong about everything

You are a fucking idiot

I know inference rules (modus ponens and the like) are able to be expressed in propositional logic. But syllogistic inferences aren't. Please show me a propositional logic demonstration of a Barbara or a Celarent. You can't, you need predicate logic.

Maybe we both are using different definition. I call propositional logic to the one in which each variable represent a statement (it has to have a verb). Like p = "Socrates is a man".

I call predicate logic the one in which there are variables for both subjects and predicates. "Socrates is a man" = M (s)

BTW I see that in my previous posts I indeed used a wrong definition ofor fist order logic, which apparently I took as synonym of propositional logic.

For some reason, some people take it as a synonyms but in most courses I know, first order logic uses quantifirers.

Also, first order logic was built upon other formal systems designed by mathematicians. Aristotle did got the ball rolling, but it is impractical to use him for formal systems.

His methods pervaded our society and you've learned it through other means.

The method is what's valuable. His didn't go far enough because he shared the common Greek loathing of manual labor and so never made the logical leap to empiricism, but even so his inspiration has fired countless blazes down the ages.

Rofl, he independently invented first order logic the fact that people use different notation now doesn't mean shit.

>cuantifires