/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

generic edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=1il8e8uo9bgtNBU0udCetOHesN4mkkDCVB_z6zdMgReY
youtube.com/watch?v=rNkwKR04tPQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

2cat

include the tourney in OP, it's ongoing as we speak.

Sure, why not.

Here you are, fair and square.

Don't spend them all in one place.

An eerie silence rolls across the arena. The air is thick with suspense as both fighters lock eyes.

The bell is rung and a flurry of steel clashes follow.

Both fighters lay into each other with heavy blows, each looking harder than the last. Both sustain injuries in the first few seconds.

First Riviere, then Entrails, then Riviere again. Entrails goes on the offensive once more and catches Riviere off-balance. Now on the defensive, Riviere begins giving ground. Entrails lays heavier strikes each time until eventually Rivere's guard is completely worn down. With a slash Entrails cuts into Riviere's foot and brings him to his knees, a stab in the leg and he begins collapsing in pain.

Before Riviere even hits the ground Entrails delivers one final blow to the head of Riviere, decapitating him.

Entrails is the victor of round 1D. Congratulations on a good round. Entrails manager now has 226 points to spend on him.

What links am I adding exactly?

Rules/Main Docs: drive.google.com/open?id=1il8e8uo9bgtNBU0udCetOHesN4mkkDCVB_z6zdMgReY

Email: [email protected]

Well fought

no dont add the email now, im not taking anymore submissions. However the rules and main docs maybe should go up.

Heh, thanks for the dwarfbux.

My main question is why it would need to be there at all. So people can read the rules? I feel like everyone that's here already knows it's going on.

Im not the one asking. I don't think it needs to be there, everything is self explanatory mostly. If someone needs the link I'll provide it.

Mmkay then, cool cool.

That was brutal.
>I've been wounded. It's annoying.

Fuck yes decap

it should go up so new people will be aware of it, and hopefully we'll have combatants for many tourneys to come.

Okay, then when sign ups are open again, it'll be added.

Taking a short break from the carnage. Will return in two hours or so.

But before I go let's preview our upcoming bout.

Match 1E: Smelly Ant Feet vs. Othmar

Smelly Ant Feet, a massive ant queen whose stature rivals that of Sten but, she is meant for providing drones and soldiers for a hive not fighting. Well she's here now and she is going against Othmar, a human race crusader who is here to purge all the lesser races and prove that man really is superior to all, we'll see if he's right, up next.

It'll be human vs. the giant ant in round 5.

Sensible use of the edition would be plenty to let newcomers know it's happening. "Arena Deathmatch edition" or something like that.

He certainly has an apt name for a fighter

>
Holy shit thanks man! Veeky Forums fucked up and I did not get notification for your reply. Keep up the good work! Really gives me Andrei Rublev vibes

>dual wielding shields
Can't be beat.

I'm posting bote until toady adds botes to the game and we can have reel fishing

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and bet on the ant. I get the feeling the axe is just gonna chop off a few limbs before othmar gets wrassled in the same way leonardo did.

This was fun idea tourney user. Thanks for doing this.

I can't get my dorfs to cut down trees. I have axes in a stockpile but no one will pick them up and use them, even though I have woodcutting labors enabled. Any tips?

Are they wooden axes? That bug got patched. Only metal axes chop trees now.

That would explain it, thank you

How is it a bug? They use diamonds to cut other diamonds, wood axes are capable of cutting down trees.

DO IT, SMELLY ANT FEET. MAKE ME PROUD!

We could bet in the form of "manager points"...

try to remove all other labors from a dwarf with the woodcutting labor. You having a military? They might also take your axes. And lastly I am pretty sure you now need a battleaxe, and not a trainingaxe to chop trees.

It makes sense because diamonds are the hardest metal but wood is the softest metal
Use your head

manager points are specifically for the anons that submitted their fighters and are used for upgrading the fighter in between the rounds. I don''t really know how you could bet with them. I am trying to think of way to do this better next time. I want it to be done completely inside the general next time, I know that.

ay you're back

hurry up and post moar fights pls

>Got back home just in time for the tournament

Btw does that armor (leather only) mean stuff like tunics,cloaks and shirts and so on?

the managers could win some extra points for their next contestants. Also you could ask in email for managers to give you a trip so all the planning could be done in this general.
I'm worried that this will result in namefagging, though.

Question: for your scholars to write stuff, do they actually need the reading skill? If they do, how can I train it when I don't have anyone above dabbling?

The arena fills back up after the intermission and the next two fighters make their way to the arena.

Othmar looks to his massive insectoid opponent and smirks. Smelly Ant Feet just shuffles about, clicking, watching.

The bell is rung and the fight is on. Both open up with some swings and chops but, most are blocked on both sides.

The queen takes an opportunity during the stalemate to charge towards her opponent, slamming her body against Othmar and knocking him to the floor.

Othmar rises to his feet and takes a few punches while he regains his balance. Again, SAF tackles Othmar to the floor.

Othmar rises to his feet once more and takes a swing at the queen. It goes wide and SAF delivers a crushing blow to his axe-arm, breaking it.

Othmar, stands his ground and begins fighting hand to hand with SAF. Twice more he is tackled to the ground. SAF rears back for another charge while Othmar reaches out and rakes a piece of the queen's leg sending her to the ground. Things are looking up for Othmar.

The fight rages on with Othmar standing over the queen and the two trading blow after blow. A strike to his shield hand leaves it useless and Othmar starts looking for other means of dealing damage. However, his new methods aren't working as he soon finds himself also on the ground when SAF punches his leg out of place. The queen, now on equal ground begins biting down on the human's face and eventually his leg.

Like a scene out of a dwarven horror story she starts biting and shaking Othmar apart while he struggles in vain. Othmar succumbs to exhaustion however SAF isn't finished.

With her prey incapacitated she removes his helmet and begins beating his head with her shields, mashing it into the arena floor.

She also passes out to exhaustion but, wakes up shortly and finishes the job with a few more blows.

Smelly Ant Feet is the victor of match 1E. Her manager now has 172 points to spend on her.

shit, that was intense

Making this one sucked. Its a long one.

There is a leather armor option. for leather tunics and stuff, idk, I guess.

I'm worried about name fagging also. I'm trying to think of way of doing this where it can be done easily by another user and without namefagging, though a trip might still be involved for whoever runs it.

Whenever one of the combatants doesn't have a proper weapon the fights seem to get a lot messier

all of these fights are pretty interesting and exciting. Maybe it has to do with the unorthodox combatants, but I'm really enjoying these battles.

Wish there was at least one dwarf though

then we just have to do all dwarfs next tourney!

So the Killer Queen advances. that leaves three more fights for the day.

Next is a match I personally have been waiting to see.
Match 1F: Coldsteel vs Mandingo the Elusive

Mandingo: youtube.com/watch?v=rNkwKR04tPQ

He's edgy and he's original. He's Coldsteel he graduated at the top of his class in sekrit ninja school and he's here to kick ass and chew bublegum;), he wears boots made from the skin of his old enemy, Kevin Robinson from school.

Up against him is Mandingo the Elusive, he's crazy as fuck, he's here to collect the scalps of his enemies, and the virginity of the maidens.

O-othmar ;_;

I thought we humans had to stick together, you bastard. Enjoy your racial purity in Valhalla

A THOUSAND ENGRAVED KITTEN BONE BOLTS ON THE GNOME

I bet my helm plumps on the plump helmet man

Both fighters go to their respective corners, awaiting the bell.

Mandingo looks around wild eyed...ready for blood.
Coldsteel just stands there, arms crossed, unimpressed.

**ding**

Mandingo launches towards Coldsteel and misses.

Coldsteel deftly maneuvers and slashes mandingo in the leg taking him down.

One. He slashes his chest tearing a lung open.
Two. He slashes his midsection opening an artery.
Three. He slashes the stomach tearing it open.

As Mandingo passes out Coldsteel teleports behind him and decapitates him in one quick swing.

"Nothin' personnel, kid."

oh shit

H-hayai

Holy shit

>effortlessly deflected
>tearing apart the pancreas
>decapitation

What a slayer

holy fuck, smelly feet is going to have a hell of a time with this badass hedgehog!

This is amazing.

Forgot to mention. Coldsteel's manager now has 257 points to spend on him

Well fought, Hedgehog. The spirit of Mandingo lives on in our hearts.

We're down to our final two bouts of the day.

Match 1G: The Purple Menace vs. DEXSTR

The Purple Menace, a plump helmet with something to prove. He used to be a fortress guard till he was abused by his employers and discriminated against. Now he hopes to win glory and recognition in the arena.

Against him is DEXSTR, a young kobold who, in his own words, "just wants to be viable." Maybe he will get his wish, here in the arena.

Its mushroom vs. kobold in round 7

Whats with these leathery deviants. Fitting they fight each other i suppose.

He's almost back to his corner before the head hits the ground.

I think the helm pump man is wearing dwarf leather, according to ninedots.

Yeah, It's because he's dressed in dwarf leather that I called him a deviant. Fucked up litte mushroom isn't he

The leather clad fighters enter the arena and the bell is rung.

Both charge forward but, DEXSTR has speed on his side as he charges in. The lock into a melee and swirl around each other, dodging and blocking in a literal dance of death.

Using superior foot work and swordsmanship, TPM gets a few slashes in on DEXSTR and starts beating him down, slowly.

A slash to DEXSTR's arm leaves it hanging by his side but, then a slash to his left leg takes him to the floor. Now rolling around on the floor dodging with a lame leg, DEXSTR is against the ropes. Using his one good hand he reaches out and smashes TPM's foot with a solid pound.

TPM, not even fazed by this continues his onslaught. He lops off DEXSTR's arm at the elbow and stabs his midsection, revealing his insides. Now sitting on top of his opponent, he delivers the killing blow. A single slash to the head sends the Kobold's lid flying. The Purple Menace is the victor of 1G.

Congratulations TPM, you earned it. TPM's manager now has 232 points to spend on him.

shhhh nothing personel, kid

RIP DEXSTR

One day the two stats will coexist in harmony.

GO PURPLE MENACE

Battle of the cannon fodder races. Kobolds are apaprently even lower on the evolutionary ladder than I thought.

By the way tourny user, I sent an email with the updated information on my gladiator. I'm assuming thats the place to send it.

Now we are down to the last match of the evening.

Match 1H: Richie Hinzelmann vs. The Nude Menace

Richie Hinzellmann, he's your average kobold male with average kobold tastes. Nothing really stands out about him. Maybe he will stand out in the arena.

Against him in the north corner is The Nude Menace. A female kobold who was tired of societal norms. Stripping down to nothing and armed with an adamantine shortsword, nothing will get in her way on her quest to slay foes and be exposed while doing so.

got it.

>human skinsuit fetishist vs exhibition fetishist
this is gonna be good, richie is gonna win though because of expert dodging

This tournament was a good idea, cheers dude

Oh god MORE kobolds? I thought we'd moved past this guys.

the points are too good to pass

TNM has the first slash though, because of no armor and adamantine weapon.

**ding**

The bell was rung but, all was quiet. The audience sat on the edge of their seats waiting for either fighter to make a move but, they didnt. They stood there, staring at each other.

Maybe it was something that made them connect, an understanding. They slowly started moving towards each other, then the pace quickened. It soon became evident what was meant to be, cannot be, and one of the two kobolds must kill the other or neither can advance. In another life, maybe.

The two meet in the middle and clash. TNM gets a cut in on Richie's arm however he soon gets the upper hand. He stabs her right leg and takes her to the ground. A few more blows and she passes out. With a quick hand he plunges his dagger into her skull, putting her out of her misery. Richie stands up, the victor. He hangs his head to the cheers of the crowd.

Gogogo Lewd Menace!

Aww :(

Maybe they didn't think they'd have to fight other kobolds

Nude Menace ;_; You were supposed to show the world how it's okay to be yourself. How will all the kobold girls now know that they are perfect just the way they are? How?!

Maybe they were admiring each other's style or lack thereof.

>Dammit, they're just gonna be friendly, show them the crossbows I guess
>...there they go!

Transfixed by a nice, scaly pair of boobs.

That concludes today's bouts. I would like to give the managers and anons time to look over the fights. Glad you guys are enjoying it. 2 days should be long enough but, the bouts will continue as soon as all the fighters that advanced are updated.

Richie's manager gets 284 points to spend on him.

Today's Bouts

1A1B1C1D1E1F1G1H

Coldsteel vs Entrails is what I want to see

This was fun to watch. We even saw some emotion in the last fight.

aw basket

i knew i should've gotten you that shield

I don't know what he sacrificed to end up like that, but he's going to fall next round, guaranteed.

GO PURPLE MENACE!

>scaly boobs
Goddammit DnD, mindfucking generations of nerds into not seeing anything wrong with egglayers having tits.

Looks like if our boys get to tangle it'll be in the final.