/domg/ - Dominions General

we all ded now edition

Previous thread Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Don't bully elves
>Work on your blogs, videos, and the wiki

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=CastInTheNameOfBobYeNotGuilty
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQvrB13LOtabVVBUHlDWUpNVjA/view?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump for Balance

Second for Join Game.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=CastInTheNameOfBobYeNotGuilty

Was pretty cool watching 5 PD walk right past my water elementals to murder the casters several squares behind, not gonna lie.

But to be fair I did get to watch Lemuria lose his golem to Poison Touch so I guess it evens out.

This will always happen if the elementals are not physically in the way of all PD. Target selection happens on the first round and the squad will retarget only when their target is dead. Always bring a 'lure' to keep your caster safe.

Ah, see I thought they would "stick" to a new target if another part of the squad came into contact with it. I guess that's not actually the case.

I've read a lot of weird things about troop behavior that just isn't true.

So, basically when a unit gets into melee, it will fight in melee. It won't disengage until it's routed. Units do this individually (well, as squares, but only because the individuals share squares) not as squads. There's no 'engagement range' and squads only share engagement if they all happen to run into the same thing or if the engaged squad is actually the squad's target.

>It won't disengage until it's routed.
Oh, or if the thing it's engaged to is dead or routed. That'll break it too, naturally.

As a side note, this does yes mean that a big ol line set to attack rear will often have the sides of the line go past the fight and then swing back in at whatever squad

I'm not really sure what this is saying. Summod made red guard good? A8 bless?

Sometimes stuff will get 'caught' behind squares that are 'engaged'. Other times stuff will not be able to become engaged but still be trying to. Sometimes though units will walk past something they can't get close to even if by their orders they should be targeting it - a single SC with them having 'attack closest' orders, if enough guys are stacked up around it, some will walk past.

No, it gave a T'ien Chi commander straight up 8 levels of air magic.

I also always bring a lure even when I expect the casts to physically block the way (ala creeping doom/skelespam) because arrows.

Well that's one way to make people buy the generals I guess

A typo in 0.68. Instead of giving Prince Generals one level of path eight, it provided eight levels of path one.

Someone should make a natgen where the admin gens 100+ nations then just lets us pick. Don't bother vetting, just remove bats and birds.

Birds are fine.

just for that I extended domgnatgen by 48 hours

t. badmin

No they aren't. They may be important but they are not okay.
Remember: Bats, birds, elves and jews - Bad news!

They're size 3 with a human statline. They're fine.

Bats and Elves I will agree with you on.

Ok so what if I changed Vampire Counts id number to 109 like it is in scrub warriors? You want to give that a go if you are around Sylvania?

>elves
elves a shit. Nerds just can't remember what units are where without seeing them on their overland map

Alternatively we could unstart and you can rejoin as nuln.

nth for there is nothing wrong with Ermor

Bats, are you retarded?

You're wasting 5 water gems per turn just to watch your elementals dissipate because of no magic leadership. Do you even know how it works?

So, VanillaCataclysm unit access: A non-exhaustive list.

Brown has Oiorpatas, Enki's chosens, Basalt Kings, Ktonian Alchemists, Alchemists of the Five Elements, Skrattis and probably more.
Red has warlock apprentices, soul contracts and is being eaten by White.
Green has bats, Pans, and Sibyls and is eating Grey.
Grey has Heart Companions, warlock apprentices, galdermen, illuminated ones, trolls and is being gang-banged by Green and Aquamarine.
Aquamarine has Vanheres and Vanherses, High Seraphs, and the Steel Ovens.
White has Pans, Enkidu Shamans, Guhyakas, Shadow Vestals and Yeddeoni and is eating Red.
Pink is AI; Black, Purple and Beige are ded. Brown is the only one not involved in a conflict.

Will Fool's Luck prevent BV damage?

Forgot to add, Brown also has Sorcerers and Aphroi and Grey has Zamzummites.

Red had a bad case of finding shitty sites. Also I should have been blood hunting more aggressively.

Sure, why not.

Very good.

I also have Bogarussian alchemists, but they're from the same site with Ktonian and Aof5e.

>tfw no responses when you try to fix problems
If I dont hear anything from either llama or Vampire Counts by 4 am GMT+1 I'll just just set him to AI on the game page so we can all get on with the game.

You can't do that directly. You need to change their e-mail and have someone send in the go-AI turn

Maybe give him more than 30 minutes to reply. Not really his fault his nation didn't work.

Fug.
4 am is in about seven hours

Wait if someone needs to send in a go AI turn and he isnt in the game then we cant set him to AI. I'll have to unstart the thing again anyway.

Hi, yeah that should work, alternatively unstart the game, I'll go whip up a pretender with the correct nation id, (or edit the one I have in a hex editor to have the correct id since I'm a hard cunt) and then resubmit.

I can't be around heaps, I'm currently five thousand kilometers away from home and working 12 hours at a time. I'll be flying home today so I'll be more available then.

Grey and Aquamarine, do your fucking turn.

If he isn't in the game you don't need to set AI or unstart or anything - simply play the game without him in it. That said,. If he created a pretender with a version of the .dm that had a different nation ID, it would definitely not exist in the started game. I know the .dm changed a bunch of times during setup.

I don't think it would work like that, llamaserver uses its own timing system, not the game's standard autohost system, so considering I just got a 12 hour reminder email, there's a good chance that llama would wait until I've submitted my turn, until I stale.

Its never easy. Well I can extend the time if we need to as long as I know stuff is happening. Its not like people will get a worse start if we start over again.
This has the VC stuff changed to 109
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQvrB13LOtabVVBUHlDWUpNVjA/view?usp=sharing
He is in the game page on llama but not actually in the game. As such llama is waiting for turns it cant get and isnt sending him anything either. Also the nation id was not changed while I was fucking around with the .dm, I just noticed that scrubwarriors had a working VC nation and I thought maybe the different id might have something to do with it.

>I just noticed that scrubwarriors had a working VC nation and I thought maybe the different id might have something to do with it.
Yeah that's me, I just grabbed my SW sylvania pretender, since the counts mod I submitted was pulled out of the warhammer bundle mod that I sent you. I'm not sure why or how it has a different id now, but I'm sorry for being careless enough to just submit my pretender without testing it.

Now that I think about it, SW admin had to do a shitload of merging to get them all to play nice so I should have seen this coming.

Wait are you saying you used your pretender that was already from Sylvania with an id of 109? Well shit that might explain everything. So all you should have to do is use the 194 version everyone else is using right?

>Aquamarine has Vanheres and Vanherses, High Seraphs, and the Steel Ovens.
Jesus fucking christ

High seraphs alone are toppest tier in cata

Yes, exactly.
It's too late now though, we can't patch an already started game with the pretender. It'd need a rehost.

>tfw you got nuns, inquisitors warlocks, coral mothers and Bacabs
I only got the Bacabs too late to do much with them.

Well shit I'll do that right now. I thought it was going to be some bullshit problem that would take a ton of work.

reminds of that time I had 3 capricorn sites

I got two bacab sites in the same province.

I restarted and deleted your guy, go go go.

My computer ate my dog while it was eating my homework.

Will need 72 more hours in natgen.

t. me

it's not nice to call your GF your dog

What's better for a neutral pref nation, O3C/H3G3 or O3C/H0G0?

Granted.

Always go Growth 3 unless you're playing a popkill nation that isn't Asphodel.

Always.

When i said computer i meant me, when i said dog i meant my gf and when i said homework i meant dick.

>Always
Way to break the conditioning.

Done \O/

Remember kids, always check that your mods are in order before you start games.

Damn Tzeentch, you fast as fuck.

depends on the nation, the other scales, and your god

the whole 'oh i'll give some details but not others so people can't guess my buiiild' attitude will do literally nothing but make you suck for longer

Done and sent.

Now we just need to gang up on Aquamarine for being slow and totally not because they're attacking me or anything. Who's with me?

You were looking for an excuse to put in a 72 hour extension anyways, admit it

It's an awake angel with prod 2. Does that change anything?

For MA Marignon so I was thinking C3 to stop rain.

I need a 24 hour extension. I got a test on transistors tomorrow and I don't know shit bout them.

transistors suck: A+

Ulm btw

Take growth 3 over both order and temp. I also prefer order over temp both because temp has mitigated values by season and because the unrest reduction from growth often actually matters.

H v C for Mari is odd in that your mages prefer H whenever it's not raining (resistance to heat fatigue and improved lighting-people-on-fire from heatshock and elementals) but, as you say, Cold helps vs the rain. Either way, I'd go for the temp extreme.

it so fucking depends.

Are you playing cold blooded? Heat 3
Playing on a map with a lot of rivers? Cold 3
Underwater Nation? Cold 3 or Heat 3.
Fire/Water mages in abundance? Heat/Cold 3.

Always always always take growth 3. The incredibly niche cases where you want less than growth 3 are presumably beyond your grasp to fully exploit.

Stop this meme of asking for advice and only giving a smidgen of information like anyone can actually use that. EA Agartha probably wants Heat 3. LA Agartha can do just fine with Cold 3. MA Marignon can do well in Heat 3, while MA W9 Pan can go with Cold 3.

ULLLLLLMMMMMMMM

Pls help idk which kvls to use to find Q-points

The difference is 9% income, and 0.6% growth. That means Growth/Temp is inferior for the first eighteen turns or thereabouts. After which it is better, and continues becoming more better.

There's some variation to that, anyway. If you're at Heat 3, for example, then H3G3 has a few turns of superior-income to H0G0 in the winter of year one. Cold 3 similarly in the summers.

Here's some good study material

youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU

What happened to memethrone? Did we unstart?

Read the thread, lad

Yes we did. Turns out sylvania was using a pretender with the wrong nation id. Its all fixed now though, so you can go back to worrying about how you are sandwiched between skaven and lizards.

OH SHIT I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT

>he didnt check the map
The mainland is going to be some hectic shit I tell you what.

How does Thanksgiving week usually work?

You do your fucking turns

Oh, I forgot about this!
4 more days for natgen, please.

In that case I'll be going AI as well.

We should all go AI so I can join another game.

Just go AI IRL.

I would get my AI into your butt, qtboi.

Join CastInTheNameOfBob

reminder Gythia is the only reason this game is going on still, everyone else would gladly quit but he wants his meme win

But I shitpost from there!

I would do it since i have always wanted to play cold ragha, but 5 games is my limit.

Not right now you don't

>Names pretender Innovative Cold 3 Scales Ragha
>Runs H3 doublebless

>no girdle around the neck

I didn't make it, I only saved it.

so are you guys actually gay or just ironically gayposting?

It literally doesn't matter either way. For all you know we might actually both be women.

:3c

Can someone explain this Forester Bob meme to me? I'm relatively new here and I've never heard the full story.