/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Never give up! You'll get the amulet of yendor today and leave with 4 rations! youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

>Oook.cz Poschengband Comp
>(Shadow Fairy Swordmaster who starts with a Rune Sword in inventory, yes easy_lore and easy_id are on)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=197

>DCSS 0.19 Tournament is running until the 20th! Teams are now locked.
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

>Nethack annual DevNull tournament is running until the end of November
nethack.devnull.net/

>IA 19.0 beta (9b12edf) Windows - with level-up crash fixed!
www20.zippyshare.com/v/SLn9DYZx/file.html

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Time to attack Lesimas again.

Do your orc followers level up if they wait on another floor?

they only get xp and blessings from beogh if they're hangin with you when you (or they) kill shit

>You cast create food
No hunger now.
Only plenty.

This isn't funny anymore.

Today I learned molotovs don't do shit against turrets

Why would you expect them to do anything

DCSS irc is actually discussing to remove backgrounds and move to a point buy

Train zombies into the turrets and hang out till they bottom out their ammo then go fuck up the zombies and spam high grade arrows at it until it dies. Or just shoot it if you've already gotten a couple towns of ammo.

I thought that maybe if I threw several of them to make a big fire it would hurt the turret

>play summoner
>fifteen fucking orc priests on D:3
>finally end up with six on one screen and they oneshot me with max damage smites

*record scratch*
*freeze frame*
see that guy right there? yep, that's me!

next thing that the devs will remove is the inability to learn a skill unless you have a weapon / know a spell that uses it. yeah, you'll be able to put skill points in necromancy without knowing a single necromancy skill.

Still working on the freelancer-class. It is gonna be a hot mess.
Now working on making casting possible - I am probably gonna make it bookless class, because it will be easier to implement - a freebie, since the casting is weaker anyway ( plus I don't have to worry about spell slots and unlearning things when you quaff !new life ). Each realm has three levels of expertise ( effectiveness being (3+2*level) / 10) .

Before you ask, yeah, the hp-boost is broken. I accidentally wrote p_ptr->lev * 22 instead of p_ptr->lev * 2.

finally

that's a good change though

bookless casting? are you giving them a custom spell set or just "all the spells from X school but you don't have to carry/find books"

What was your first clue to leave the floor

Poor sh and ev against shit that can break your ac does that. Use temporal distortion or petrify and explode through the yaktaurs. Then try exploring in a more conenctected chunk and use corners more so shit is forced to wrap where you can use LRD indefinitely until that 1/3 of the floro aggros and dies.

22ev isnt poor

Akin to sorcerers, except limited to learned realms.

That I couldn't find a fucking downstair after three teleports.

oh so you mean "no spell slots", not "no books"
i get it

>grab a staff of speed from the barrow downs quest
Well, that was gladly unexpected.

Oh hey that dude was right. Shelob dropped my third book.
I guess it's a new thing for 5.0.2 or a bug.
Probably a bug.

It's not a bug user.

You can potentially get spellbooks as drops from anything that drops "good" loot. Dungeon bosses tend to drop lots of loot and thus are a good source, but you can also get them from plenty of other uniques or lootsplosion monsters.

I have like 15 copies of my book 3 by this point

Are you saying it's just chance? Might be.

Nice lamp. All important stats are at 18 now.

that IS a nice lamp user
the ancient foul curse may be worrying though

Eh, it's not that bad.

GIVE ME MORE AC

we have the same phial name, user!

too bad i'm not a ninja

CAN'T STOP THE ROCK

Nice EV, would be a shame if a spell hit you

>tfw got all three level of Demonic Guardian by D:7

>this happens

A little much, don't you think?

420BLAZEIT

>again

Seriously?

Major demon in every high tension mate. Smash dat MF t-w

>NO YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO FOLLOW A SPECIFIC COURSE

It's Britney, bitch

Don't feel like going extended today so I'm going home

>no extended with those items

WHAT A WASTE

extended is tedius and boring, also AC doesnt help at all in it

It's just not the same.

>at all

My one wish is for /rlg/ to not be so constantly wanton and careless in their use of hyperbole and exaggeration.

It's basically a nonissue for anyone who has enchanted auxes and body

So now that bloatskin, phase bloat, and condensation bloat have been removed, what's the best support spell for improving defenses?

Ozo's armor or Cigotuvi's embrace?

as far as i've heard cigutovi's is worthless outside of zigs

What the fuck

Why can't I make clean water

It says I don't have water but I have bottles filled wiht it, an opened tin can to boil it in, and empty bottles to put it in

Orb of destruction is the best defensive spell. Shortly followed by Dragon's call, death channel, infestation simalacrum, animate skeleton, silence, deflect missiles,leda's liquefaction, metabolic en-glaciation, controlled blink, Yara's violent unravelling, disjunction, song of slaying, and amulet of harm

Is it night and your fire is going out?

there was another user with the same problem earlier

i think it's an int overflow bug

It's night but my fire isn't going out

When I put water from the swamp in my bottles I realized that it was salt water, so I went to the river to get normal water, but I still can't make clean water

Are you playing the 0.c release or in-dev?

Experimental

I'll quit and then start the game again, maybe that will fix it

>browsing CDDA repository
>notice offhandedly that rivshit hasn't made or commented on any PRs in like a week
did coolthulu finally give cdda the chemo it needed?

Well I'm pretty sure they fixed the bug with it not seeing open containers if they're the same type. Bottles are rigid so you don't get the waterskin/stomach maxed your volume issue. Can you hold them and try again? Post screens of your craft page, inventory, and fire?

A week is nothing in github time

>drink all my water
>now I can make clean water even though there's none inside of my bottles
What the fuck

It's just in your stomach, bro. You're vomiting it up into the pot.

DDA devs, no sense of right or wrong

Throw me the best swords and magic game you got

>You'll never milk yourself for water to drink
DDA needs a CoC mod

Maidensnow Eve

Now that I think about it, I was in a swamp and there was water around, so maybe that's why I was able to craft clean water

But when I tried to put the water from the swamp inside bottles it was listed as salt water

I don't understand

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup: Circus Animals

And it doesn't make sense that I wasn't able to make clean water the first time either, since I did have an empty bottle

Fucking DDA

Linley's Dungeon Crawl, made by Linley Henzell.

the bug happens if there are too many infinite water sources nearby

Currently at the end of Hell's Armory as scoot on AoShotgun UV, and a cybernetic armor just dropped. I rarely play shottyhead scout, and am curious as to whether I should use the armor. Is the -30% movespeed too much of an issue in the long term? I also know the armor has weird rules with mods, but I'm unsure of what it means for a non tech.

Christ, I didn't know houses could be full of zombie children

There were more than ten inside it

Have you found a home improvement superstore yet? Don't open the doors until you're ready for some shit.

>tfw one of my first major splats was a home depot with like 15 actual hulks
Love those schools and megastores with a green tide spilling out.

Not yet

But if I ever think about going there, the weapons I found in the lab might be useful

It could have been great.

What's some good music to listen while playing soup?

Boilinh soup

Watch it, Tummy!

Can confirm.

Cigotuvi's wasn't even worthwhile with Kiku. You get a decent amount of AC if you use two deliveries, but it means fuck all when your armour doesn't even last two dozen turns.

How do people deal with the slime rune
Holy shit that fight for it is such a shitfest

Not even a gift from Trog Daddy

>vinestalker have to get XL4 to regenerate
wtf why

Fight TRJ in a corridor that way his slimes wont overwhelm you after he dies

Slime rune is EZPZ.

Buff, then fight him in the corridors and/or use immolation scrolls to cheese his posse. The only thing you have to worry about are giant eyeballs.

his slimes won't overwhelm you until he dies*

As an ogre how am I supposed to have any meaningful kind of defense if I'm bad at training dodge and can't wear much armor?

you train dodge anyways and you wear troll leather and eventually dragon armor

your AC/EV will still be lower than other races but your HP is much higher

>use immo
>the entire fucking floor comes at you now

Pack bolt wands
Poorly clear the floor. Read noise or shout a lot in the center to bring TRJ back in
Get rF++/+. !resistance if you want. Buff up if you got a lot of them. Zap to cause some splittage and beat/zap the jelly a couple times. When he moves behind his splits or you have 8 around him read immo and explode him.

Like said plus stop playing like an insanely OP tabtaur. Spend a lot more time playing humans and demigods to hone your threat assessment. It's rough at first then you realize you're not 80% better at crawl

Have you even done slime ever? How can you honestly have made that post.

>it's a "you sometimes gain a little power by taking damage" episode

>not liking perma might

They would really come to you all at once since the slime walls were removed. And after killing TRJ assuming you didn't die from explosions even with rf3+acid spits, you'd deal with the whole floor next.

So should I play MiBe first or demigods/humans to learn how the mechanics of the game work?

Also is it possible to play the game and extended with melee only or am I gonna need to spec into magic at least a little?

You clear the floor first

start with MiFi or HoFi not Bes

I don't understand this meme, as long as you don't use autoexplore and are midly efficient with the way you move you'll end up with way morr food than you need by the midgame. The hunger clock should be made tighter in my opinion.

>getting hit

>tabbing through endless enemies with 0 fighting and 0 weapon skill

Is Ossuary the most comfy portal type? Though to be honest this +0 Whip of Electricity is probably helping me out.

Mi/HO's let you experience more of the game faster and help you avoid the oh god I'm shit and I'm mad cause bad disease. But they give you bad habits in the form of just autoattacking everything until it kills you
Hu/Dg's force you to learn to fight smart and skill efficiency cause otherwise it killed you. But that can be frustrating and unfun to find out the qualities of new enemies with your face.

Definitely. There's no real reason to not learn repel missiles and regeneration and arguably aura of abjuration/shadow creatures though

Wait until you encounter a bog body ossuary or the triangle one filled with 1x1 corridors where a Hasted Menaukure is endlessly casting torment on you while he's blocked by a mummy

Skirt around the edges first, picking off stray slimes/eyes/jellies (you trained stealth, right?), then go to the center and say hello.
Then buff up, read ?Summoning/summon bros/demons to give you some breathing room, and beat it up in melee.
If you didn't train stealth, just start with step 2.

If you have a good ranged weapon or conjurations, using immolation while hasted is incredibly effective.

Agreed. I starved in Brogue once, right when I was learning.

Now I usually have to throw away food to make space for important stuff.

I think I use gas traps too much when my floor drops aren't great and I probably make poor enchant choices. Poison or conjuring runs are an exercise in hunger

pls respond, don't wanna fault over picking up cursed armor.

Doomrl players are pretty rare. You're best off believing in the heart of the shotgun so you know next time if you can't find out from google or the wiki thing with a ll the badges

Are there any roguelikes as immersive as IA?
Not necessarily looking for more spooky stuff specifically, just a rogue I can lose myself in and don't have to meta-game.