Show me your gingin

Engine bay thread? Show us your engine anons.

Pic related, my engine.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.co.uk/books?id=OTOYHRSX_XcC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
books.google.co.uk/books/about/Advanced_Engine_Technology.html?id=YdxSAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y
books.google.co.uk/books?id=it1BggypJ2oC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Guess the car, I figure?

Good lord

how does one start to learn about engines.
recently got into cars.

Copypasta but the same applies.

>engineering explained
>mighty car mods

I'd begin by reading four stroke performance tuning by AG Bell.
Get the Forth edition
books.google.co.uk/books?id=OTOYHRSX_XcC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Slightly more advanced is Advanced Engine Technology by Heinz Heisler
books.google.co.uk/books/about/Advanced_Engine_Technology.html?id=YdxSAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Engines: An Introduction by John L Lumley is one of the better books I've read on the subject. Probably too indepth for a casual, but leads on well from the other two.
books.google.co.uk/books?id=it1BggypJ2oC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Nothing much to see here.

OP here.

I learnt by fixing things in my own cars as they broke down. A car is just a bunch of parts. When a part breaks, you repair it or replace it.

I remember at one point I got sick of mechanics doing half ass jobs and thought of a grease monkey can read a workshop manual then so can I.

Now everything you need, some dude has a video on YouTube. I recently learnt to press bushings, replaced all my suspension bushings. Car feels incredible now.

thanks man

Sure thing. Also do what OP said, find some cheap hunk of junk to see if you can fix it up but dont get too in over your head. I started with simple shit like lawnmowers and dirtbikes etc. Just start seeing how it fits together and what does what and why. If you get stuck, google is your friend

I really hate to say it, but that youtube channel "Engineering Explained" is probably a good place to start for simple hand holding and spoon feeding.
It really isn't hard though. What is hard is all the different variables, like timing, combustion chamber size, cam duration, and all the little shit like that.

Here's a little autistic fun fact that will make you feel smarter than all the normies around you.

Bore x Pi / 4 x Bore x Stroke x Number of Cylinders = cubic displacement.

So take a mustang 5.0
3.63 x 0.785 x 3.63 x 3.65 x 8 = 302.04
The cubic inch displacement of a Mustang 5.0 is 302.

Wait though, there are 61.02 cubic inches. So take 302 and divide it by 61 that's 4.95.

The mustang coyote is not a true 5.0.
Ford sucks.

Where's your belt user?

>That foxbody

Nicely spotted. I was putting a new one on. Idler pulley bearing shat itself and belt ripped itself to pieces while I was driving home at night.

Pic related, the old belt

Engine is being rebuilt

just picked this car up the other day. previous owner pretty much removed everything in the engine bay

This is what I want mine to look like. So clean.

bump

I wish my miata bay looked like that. Best I can do is remove the charcoal system (already did). I am ripping out the ac soon and having thoughts about the power steering.

is this a miata?

yes

why are your strut towers humping your firewall? FF?

thats a cool pic of uninstalled turbos just laying in your engine bay

shaved, resprayed, and swapped by me.

>all these cucks having their engines in front of the driver

kek

post swap, spent a couple years like this. pulled the engine again last saturday in favor for a 20vt out of a 2001 gti. should be a fun winter project.

It's AWD.

1/2

2/2

Cosworth goodness.

100% stock

aiiiite

Nice third gen, I was gonna buy one but it got sold before I could contact the owner

Muh p71 Vee ate

It's basically a tractor engine

And as such will last a hundred years.

Very jealous.

So clean
Nice
Chaser?

Yes my brother.

:D

I really like the design of those! I remember playing Gran Turismo 2 and driving a TRD version with 700+ bhp.

Would love to have one of those as a project car if I didn't have my Miata. People must be so clueless about it.

Really nice progress!

Thanks - I like big saloons and yes I think most people don't have a clue what it is as they were never sold here.

Its pretty standard atm just a HKS exhaust, quite far off 700hp!

Just a shitbox, but a clean shitbox.

It was never sold here in Sweden either. People would probably wonder why someone would baby a car that looks like a normal sedan from the 90s with the steering wheel on the wrong side

I know that brake fluid reservoir and air pump

Thats a Mark VII

Shit that last book looks pretty good. I kind of regret not doing mechanical engineering, I did chemical instead so I learned all the thermo and fluid dynamics and all that but then I never got to apply that knowledge to cool stuff like engines.

Carb lyfe

I should take a more recent picture where it's actually cleaned up...

Ever been to Gatebil?

and another one I need to take a better picture of with the cowl actually on

but here's the best of the three

but also out of date because the valve cover is now yellow

put that 'strut bar' in the garbage where it belongs

Nah, I live in Canada lol

Old pic, but she still there ;)

My nigga OP. Nice 4th gen Legacy/Outback. You the guy with the black wagon that had those flags on the front?

Mine

muh dick

Nice. What do you think of mine?

Thanks man, yeah it's an outback. I'm not the flag car guy though.

This is my first Subaru. Aside from the spark plugs being a bitch to get to i love how easy it is to work on

Doritos, Nacho Cheese flavored

This should be easy

I know that shitbox. I own one.
I fucking hate it.
But at the same time, it has never let me down in the last 10 years.

I love mine, it's never let me down once either and it seems like it'll just last forever. What don't you like about it? I think it's fun enough to drive for being a gutless shitbox. The S trim is also pretty comfy and looks pretty decent, good enough for me at least. My car before this one was a 1995 and I loved that one too.

pls no bully

we should fuck

Pretty boring

It's a gutless shitbox that started rattling everywhere ever since the warranty ran out. Interior is cheap. I know odo is a timebomb that stops at 299999 miles. It has a throttle response of a sloth. Tire squeals when I turn a corner at 5 miles in a grocery store parking lot.

But I still have much respect for it--don't get me wrong. It's definitely not a bad car.

At least people are posting more than their bus passes.
Still not like old Veeky Forums.
Some good potential though- I hope some of you guys stick around as you learn and bring back some glory.

And RMeme26

It's modular

nice
>nice

>It's a gutless shitbox that started rattling everywhere ever since the warranty ran out. Interior is cheap.
My 1995 started rattling horribly eventually, this one luckily hasn't really started yet. Do you have a base trim or something because my interior seems way better than most of the brand new Ferd shitboxes all my friends are driving and I don't have random trim pieces breaking and falling off like they do.
>Tire squeals when I turn a corner at 5 miles in a grocery store parking lot.
Get new tires nigger

Actually now that you mention the rattling, mine is starting to make lots of little squeaky noises when I hit bumps at low speed. I'm thinking I need to replace some kind of bushings or some suspension part.

supercharged 9th gen?
>im retarded i dont know chassis bracing

500 hp is a meme now?

>500 hp
I wish lol, maybe 330whp in mine

SHITFOX
H
I
T
F
O
X

My giant electrical oil spitting demon :')

the irony

valve covers are for PUSSIES

nice bay doroto brother

Where's the battery?

Pretty impressive actually.
Has the dizzy boot and the coil cover still.
Unmolested versions are hard to come by.
Does it a still have the craptacular factory headers too?

Currently trying to find a boost leak...

>>dizzy

does anyone over the age of 12 call a distributor a "DIZZY"

Average consumption?

That tight e46 engine bay. It's too big for that hole!

lol negro