/ORG/ - Off Road General

also Pick Up Truck General

Welcome.

>Post your off-roaders/pick-up/trucks
>What have you added in it?
>What do you plan on adding in it?

Where are you going next leaving the humanity behind?

>Post your adventures with it.

>Q & A

>Post anything off-road or trucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5827375187.html
youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0ho9Urc_g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you all think about the Z71 Tahoe?

>starts offroad thread
>with chromed out mom bombers

I thought we agreed to call offroad threads /2hi4lo/ from now on.

Also, I started the last one of these and the only posts were "you has small dicc" and "/thread". Meanwhile, that bait trucc thread has mutated into genuine discussion and has amassed something like 300 replies.

I fucking love Veeky Forums

Found a lifted 99 Cherokee with a cracked head for 1k burgers

Throw the guy an offer of 500, he says we'll see.

Shrug and get involved in other projects

He emails yesterday, ok get this shit out of here.

Line up trailer, find time, conscript bud, get email this am: this guy says he'll give me 700, I'll let you know later.

Mother fucker THIS is why is still sitting in your driveway paying off your mom's neighborhood association because every prick who can't into two $20 bills at once swears he'll buy it.

Kid you not, shits been sitting two months, I seriously doubt some random fag is going to show up with cash, but I have to be fucking civil and try to remember that I neither really need nor want another project.

How long would this type of car with a 2,5l TD @ 300km on the clock last in a road trip through the middle east? Just based on the engine, not the physical exterior.

OP wanted to know about Tahoes so he chose a general picture. I mean, it's a production image so it's not like all the other offroad general threads with the jacked up dedicated offroaders. But whatever - it's still a modern offroader.

The answer, OP. Is that it's kind a like getting a Porsche Cayenne to off road. It's a bit extreme but hear me out:
The Cayenne has absolutely impressive stock off road components but NO ONE uses it for off roading. Why? Because it's way too comfortable and the fixed cost greatly supersedes any "prevention" budget. No one offroads a porsche - no one builds parts for cayenne off roading. The bumper in my Ranger falls off and I kick it and put it back on. The bumper in the cayenne falls off and it costs something as $2500 to clip back on.
This is a similar thing (though to a lesser extent) with the Tahoe. Parts are harder to find and much more difficult and expensive to repair.

With the money you would spend jacking up a Tahoe or Cayenne to off road winch capabilities, you could buy a jacked up Jeep.

Upgrade the coolant system and you might be able to guarantee the whole trip if you're going non-off roading.
Off roading and you can have it burst at any second (given stock engine and transmission). That's just the strains of /ovg/.

Are these things full time 4WD? I mean wouldn't that affect the fuel economy? I'm planning to get one as my daily.

I've read about this elsewhere too. Thanks for the confirmation.

Lets see some favorite spots/views.

Looking forward to Big Red's first carb swap later this week, anticipating some gnarly 35 year old carbon buildup.

Very much what said; cooling is what keeps cars alive during long trips.
Also make sure that your tires are good, that you dont have any leaks from the engine and whatever should have grease is properly greased

Put on my winter tires today; jesus fuck they are SHIT... 9 year old Dean Wintercat SST with studs worn flat

Only gonna have them on for a few weeks until I can afford a new set

But then you have a jeep

How much LSD do I add to the dif oil? I want my trucc to trip fucking balls.

2010 Ranger differential oil change. Took my ranger swimming a bit too deep.

I fucking hate the TPM. It's broken and I don't even need the thing. It took 30min to get these covers off.

Fuck. Bubbles. That means water in the differential.

What do?

>I neither really need nor want another project.
buy it for me then

>mfw I'll never own a 1990 toyota pickup that's beat to shit from rock crawling

I was just gifted a 95 chevy 1500 v6 with 4x4... it has 285k miles on it... how much longer can I expect her to last?

You won't have a problem finding cheap parts for any old Chevy 1500, engine, body, or drivetrain. 285k is nothing as long as it wasn't owned by a total shithead before you, there are a lot of guys out there with old 4x4 Chevys that never use them for aggressive off-roading. You have a long way to go as long as the last owner kept the engine oiled and you continue to keep the engine oiled. My '87 is at 360k with no engine issues, my father's '95 1500 is at 630k after an engine swap at 450k.

I think so for pic related. If you are asking about the tahoe/suburban, when you buy it in 4wd, It has a dial for 2hi, 4hi, 4lo with auto lockers.

Inspect your gears, if they look okay and they're not mulched to shit spray out your diff, throw the cover back on, fill it up with some good gear oil, double check your breather hose on top of the diff to make sure it isn't clogged with shit (if you have one), grab a beer, and carry on with your life.

How're the teeth? degrease and clean that sucker. There was water in the front and rear diff from previous owner not telling me he sucks at offroading. Ask me how i know.

How do you know, anonpai?

yeah, i saw the gears and they're caked on hard with the oil. i didn't even bother doing an acetone wash like i would if there was an insane amount of water in them. just tamp them with an old towel, rub them between my fingers, put it back on, refilled fluid, and drove off into the sunset.
checking for leaks in the morning and praying to god it's a no. The plate is also rusted to absolute hell so the next time i take it deep water trekking for more than a minute, i'll get a whole new differential cover (thanks everyone for not bringing up the abhorrent condition of my differential plate).

the TPM makes the differential plate an absolute pain in the ass to work with. should i fix the TPM or just rip it off and toss it in the garbage.

water in diff is totally normal

I dont want to make a new thread for this, and since I want an off roader, is this a good deal?

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5827375187.html

>dat gear shifter
where's reverse?

Shifter is on the steering column, that thing down there is for the transfer case

Yes, I was asking about the 4runner.

Is a trike like that better than a quad?

Depends, but in most cases I'd say absolutely not. The only advantage over most quads that I'd even start to defend is that they're very light, meaning they're easy to wrangle around in neutral when you get stuck in a cramped spot (mine is an '82, Honda hadn't yet added a reverse gear) and the tires are buoyant enough that it floats in water. A friend of mine's father has told me tons of stories from when he used to take his fishing in the 80s, light enough that he could load it into his boat, drive his boat up to a small island, roll it off the boat, and just float it to shore rather than unloading onto a dock or pier.

There have been times where I'm slowly descending steep, narrow, and very rocky trails and have found it much easier to weave my front end through the boulders than it would have been with a wide front end and two front wheels, but that's hardly a serious advantage.

Keep in mind that these things were only manufactured until '87 when they were banned. The ban expired in '97 but nobody started making them again because their safety reputation had already been obliterated. So they're all 30+ years old, quads have come a LONG way since then and any serious utility quad you can buy today would beat one of these in just about every way.

All of that being said, they're still cool as fuck, dirt simple, cheap to work on, and a lot of fun to ride. Does NOT drive like a quad, takes a while to get used to how they are weighted and how to effectively turn on them without tipping.

And because of the safety stigma tied to them they're often a pain in the ass to register and insure. I had to deal with 4 separate insurance brokers before it was ready and legal for service road use.

Here's an example of the swimming that people put these things through, second half of the video.
youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0ho9Urc_g

Bump.

No Trail is a old school part time system.

Limited is the only one to get a Fulltime system, shared with the GX460.

I think it costs too much fucking money

>60-70k for an SUV
>45-70k for a Silverado

Get fucked GM

hey bros.

Why didn't you post the lifted chevy in the back instead? :T

Also, nice YJ. Looking to get myself one of these, too.

Which would you pick and why?

Pajero or Prado?

Prado bruh. Pajero's shit.

Pic is of a TRD pro, It is based off the trail model.
Can confirm only part time 4wd.
Bought one for the wife (2014 trail) It is a really great suv. Anyone who gets one will be happy with it.
My only issue with it is if you want a solid steel front bumper for offroading you actually have to sawsall the front and alot of it.
The way they designed the bumper is integrated into the grill so its a bitch to mount anything to the front.

I don't know shit about offroading, but my boss keeps talking about his "front and rear lockers" and no one knows what the fuck he's talking about. Not even his off road buddies.

Sorry m8, but 4M41>1KD, 9.5" differential>8"
Prados are better, in opposite world.

On that note, Pajero.
Prado is alright for a light/medium duty offering, but it's expensive for seemingly no reason. Pajero on the other hand has a drivetrain that rivals Landcruisers and Patrols in terms of strength, with a price tag similar or even better than the Prado. The advantage of being stuck with a 17 year old platform I guess...