/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Dorfs are weak edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

cut down ALL trees!!
rob ALL elven caravans!!
kill ALL elves!!

I am genrating my first world. First time picking up DF! A little excited I must say.

Should I wait for for the 250 history years to finish? it is taking a while. At 167 now.

Good luck Urist, I'm behind 7000 Agility points!

I let it run the 250. Here is my first world.

You don't have to. Having never played before, you're not going to notice the difference between a 150 year old world and a 250 year old world. And that difference won't be huge in most worlds anyway.

looks comfy enough.

I usually play at 150-200 years. Have fun, user. If you have any questions, I'm here for you.

>that gobbo fortress in the far, far north

DEUS VULT

Your in for a treat user
The longer you wait the more civilizations there are and i doubt you will be fucking around in legends mode (reading the history of your world, procedurally generated) so it doesnt really matter

How do I name stuff in the arena like tourney user was doing? they all show up as a variant of 'Elf 1', 'Human 12' etc.

>woman = Toady
>cookie = update
>dog = DF players

That's a big cookie

>The longer you wait the more civilizations there are
That's wrong. Civs are placed at the start of worldgen, and there will never be any more civs in a world than the ones placed initially.

It does it automatically for every creature spawn.

For you.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm talking about naming 'Elf 1' into a custom name in arena mode, like tourney user was doing to the gladiators. In the combat logs, we see 'Coldsteel', not 'Hedgehog man 1'.

Can they die out though?

Elfs can't melt adamantine beams

He made a copy of each combatant as a separate creature in the RAW files.
So we had Coldsteel 1, Basket 1 etc.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant the appended numbers.
He created custom creature raws for all the tourney combatants that were copies of their race, except renaming the race with the gladiator's name.

Yes.

>all these elf apologists

I'm posting bote until toady adds botes and we can have real fishing in the game

reminder

DELET

Ahh, ok thanks.

>that happy smile on the computer gobbo's face

C'mon. Let him have this.

Why is there no knife user skill when I'm making an adventurer? I want to recreate Jumping Dude and make him go on adventures!

So I am now equipping my little people.

They are all in their 60's or 80's. Surely this is bad? Also kek at the fact that the guide tells you to put in 120 units of alcohol but only like 60/70 units of food.

They live way past 100, 60 is is like their 20s/30s

Wait, which guy made that one? I missed it amongst the others.

I'm posting gote until toady adds gotes so we can have real goting the game (and not just g's).

That's not a cookie.
Is that the joke?

Don't know his name, but he also made this one

I'm not sure if that drawfag has been named. I don't think he has, at least.

How many drawfags are there on this board? I haven't been around too long. I didn't expect such a small general to have any, so this is a nice surprise.

what's more, chocolate kills dogs

really makes u think huh

please reply, do it for the dude.

So do all Dwarf Fort worlds only have one pole? I don't really know shit about this kind of thing but everything seems to only have a south pole for me.

0.40 added bipolar worlds, but that doesn't mean that all worlds are bipolar.

4 or 5 maybe? We have 9dots, timbukdrew, that one and that one (apologies, if you guys have names I missed it).

There was another one who did some very realistic character drawings over a couple of weeks, but I haven't seen anything from him since. There was another one who started posting around the same time, but I think he might be the same drawfag from the second one I linked.

This guy got named frown-user.

They can have 1 pole, 2 poles or no pole. You can choose if you use advanced worldgen.

Cool, Ninedots is the one who did the gladiator intros that are found on the doc right? Whats an example of timbukdrew's?

Can buzzards carry dwarves? My planter was dragging something to the pasture and suddenly he found himself on the top of the building.

There are no stairs or any way to get up there, and now the buzzards won't let me finish building the ramp.

I want a drawfag to draw this scene.

Yes, those were 9dots.

is an example of timbukdrew's work. He does a lot of slice-of-life drawings of dwarves, and has been drawfagging here for longer than anyone. There's a lot of his stuff floating around. I would post some if I were at home, but alas.

Cute, thanks m8.

No. Carrying creatures isn't a thing that can happen. Dwarves can climb though, and one of the few ways to motivate them to do so is seeing something they want to punch or run away from. Wild buzzards being food thieves makes dwarves automatically hostile to them and enter a conflict state on sight. That's probably why he's up there.

You can level up your knife user skill in adventure mode even without investing any points into it at the start. Just find a knife and start practicing on wildlife.

9dots is active in the brony forums too. I think that when he discovered us he started liking us more than the bronies, he muttered his first words here and he does some ninja super fast autistic drawings on /r/equest which is super cool.

I think if you start as an outsider you can put points into knife user at chargen?

Otherwise just take a knife and go stab some wildlife, you'll train up pretty fast.

>timbukdrew

9dots is a bretty cool guy in general, he drew two of my gladiators for me

would you mind dumping some of his stuff from there? I've only seen his dorf stuff

yeah, did that. Already lost a limb to a madman who in the middle of a conversation started to repeatedly demand I yield.
Any idea why I can't eat his prepared heart? I want to get my enemies strength by eating their hearts, but he just keeps licking rather than consuming it.

Can't eat sentients anymore desu. It offended the holy toad.

I ran the test with the elfs and dwarfs again, this time everyone is at grand master and much more realistic results
Either side won the 10v10 but it seemed to slightly favor the elfs
In the 1v1 something werid happened. The elfs and dwarfs simply incapacitated eachother and could not fight any longer, but only one died. It was a complete stalemate.

yeah, figured that out by looking at the forums. Can't for some reason make animal men be outsiders. Is it just my world, or is the game this way?

Say "dwarfs" and "elfs" one more time, motherfucker.

>can no longer eat sentients
This annoys me to no end.

Don't tell me I can't eat sentients. Fuck you, that little e is ME, and if I want to eat a man's heart you should fucking let me.

that's gay, I hope that it is temporary and will be reintroduced after he has coded appropriate reactions to doing so.

In what update did this occur?

I thoughy you could est sentients if you were starving

Not him, but those are acceptable pluralizations. "Elves" and "Dwarves" is a specifically Tolkien thing.

You guys do realise that we were never supposed to eat sentients in the first place, do you? You couldn't in the older versions(0.34 and backwards). Being able to eat them was caused by a bug introduced in 0.40, which has now been fixed.

What pisses me of is the fact that you cant carve the bones of a sentient anymore, yet in fortress mode i find sentient bone jewelry on migrants/visitors all the time.

It's not that you're explicitly disallowed by the game, just that adv mode chars are restricted to the default ethics of their home civs, which don't even see the remains of sentients as food (except in some cases with elves, but those events only happen in worldgen). It's always been like that except for a brief period in .40 when Toady changed it without realizing, and then changed it back without realizing it in .42. He didn't even know that it had been changed (or apparently even that there was such a restriction) until someone asked him about it in a FotF. There probably won't be any intentional action on the subject until the crime and punishment arc codifies such actions in the context of the rest of the law framework.

how do I ask a doctor to treat me? Would like to heal my stump of an arm so it wont fester. found a diagnoser.

you can't

>he doesn't know

Just rub some dirt on it and have a nap, you'll be fine.

Just lick it clean/jump into a river.

World-Fortress Megaproject:
This project begins in finding a suitable world and embark site.
There are four major desired features for your embark site, Terrifying Sea (Reanimating), Joyous Wilds Sea, Tree access, and an infinite source of Magma.

The actual project:
Divide the two seas with your fort. Acceptable means of making this include pumping the oceans away from eachother in large enough volume to build walls from the ground up, and obsidian casting.
Additionally finding a way to construct it from the bottom up without clearing all the overhead water first is acceptable.

All tombs are placed on the reanimating side of your ocean bisecting fort.
You must bring magma into your fort to support a glass industry so you can construct an aquarium for each unique type of sea creature you see -- fill them.

The final tricks will be
A: animating all Joyous Wilds Seacreatures in containment.
B: creating 'science' chambers where you can demonstrate to visiting nations the interesting reactions that occur when you mix evil and good seas, evil water and magma, good water and magma, and don't forget to introduce the elf ambassadors to your Giant Sperm Whale Thrall

It's not my thread user

rude

I have no coal in my fortress. Why does it say "Not satisfied for next check"?

It's not very dwarfy, but I'm about to create an above-ground riverside village. I will post pictures when it reaches minimum comfy

What's the next thing after magic

Justice?

You cheeky bastard. Here's where you own up and say you're both Coldsteel and Sten's manager and you are scamming us for all our dorfbucks.

I've saved every image from 9dots since I have memory of him

Really lazy to post it all now, tho

Tortilla de patatas

Starting Scenarios, which include law & Justice

But seriously, we have to wait some 5+ years for that to come, so relax

I mean, you are joking, but if we ever start betting, that would be a serious concern, if the battler's manager receives some part

>tfw trying to work out if this jpg is stretched

has the tourney resumed yet?

Tomorrow

Top row second from the right isn't mine but I really like it and I also saved it somewhere. I'm also not so sure if the second in from the left, top row, is either or I don't remember it.

I entered 2 aswell, because I didn't want to wait for that damn thing to slowly fill up. Both of them are dead now, but one had an okayish run.

The annoying thing is that it forces you.
It's great to have more facets of the dwarven (or whatever) personality come to the foreground, but there should always be the choice.
As it currently stands, a creature could have every antisocial and psychopathic trait under the sun and still blanch at the idea of eating sentient meat.

I mean, even plump helmet man meat.

Ideally you'd run the risk of a mental breakdown or something, or being outcast by fellow civ members, if you chose to eat sentient meat. But you'd still (as a player) be able to.

I never thought that saving images from 9dots would end up with him talking to me

Is this the second coming?

If it truly is you, dots, captcha = Church Summit
>Indeed

For the battle royale or finals?

Both

BEHEAD THE CUTEBOLDS
RACE WAR NOW

WITNESSED

Of course when you have a contest between unarmed opponents, Elves will always win since the only defensive skill is dodging. Elves have higher average agility, and dwarves have lower than average. Same goes for goblins

In a situation with weapons and armour, dwarves would not have to rely on their shitty agility for defence. Dwarves have superior toughness, so in a situation with armour and weapons, an elf or goblin would have trouble doing substantial damage.

What time?

Whenever tourneyanon feels like it.