I have 3 options Veeky Forums

I have 3 options Veeky Forums
I currently drive a car I want to sell and the timing belt needs to be replaced
I want to sell the car in 3 months when im off my P's and buy an R33 gtst, my toyota is is worth about 3500-4000
I can either
>A) fix it for the $1200 quoted and sell it with that in the description
>B)sell it now and buy a car I dont want for the next 3 months (cant legally drive a turbo until im off my P's)
>C)dont sell it or fix it and gamble that it holds until february knowing that if it goes im looking at a $2500 engine replacement or an unsellable car (id feel like a douchebag too)

>semi related r33 picture

I have the money but im trying to save for a house deposit and the r33

Other urls found in this thread:

axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Toyota-1MZFE-Timing-Belt-Replacement-Camry-Avalon-ES300
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The fourth option was to buy a shitbox to get me to work and back but because of how retarded Victoria is Id be looking at $800 of registration to use the car for 3 months...

Bruh, I own a rb25 swap from a r33 and unless you got a couple grand to spare at any moment dont get into these things because random shit will break when you least expect it

The second option seems like the best but there's no guarantee that you'll get back what you payed for the shit car for the 3 months

5th option buy a bike for 10 bucks and use that for 3 months.

Sell yota, buy twin cam sexcel and keep it for cheap run around and when the R33 breaks

Im looking at buying a relatively stock gtst and only doing recomended upgrades, not trying to get 300kw
Parts are pretty easy to find for them too

I work 25km from my house

If you can't fix a timing belt yourself you have no business owning a r33.

>can't even install a timing belt

Does your mummy still tie your fucking shoes for you?
Fucking Australians, they never disappoint.

>timing belt replacement
>$1200
wew lad

the timing belt in a horizontal mounted v6 requires basically taking out half the engine and being FWD makes it worse
it's not just the belt, while they are in there they do a bit

then just sell it before the timing belt fails lol

i have seen cars that last to around 250,000km on it original cam belt, so take the gamble i say. Then buy something chain driven

Just do it yourself you emasculated roo fuck.
Is time an issue for you? Is having your daily out of commission for a weekend going to be worse than having no car for 3 months? No?

I'm a New Zealander so naturally I did a clutch change on my FF toyota a month or so back. I had no experience working on cars other than changing wheels, checking and filling fluids. I did it on axle stands with little more than a set of spanners, a jack, some bits of wood and a friend, equally inexperienced. Took me less than a day and it was genuinely fun doing it.

Anything's possible if you put your mind to it, roo. You'll probably make a couple hundred bucks when you sell it, seeing as you've just replaced the belt.

isnt New Zealand part of Australia ?

NZ are a bunch of sheep shaggers

>Colony of hard working Europeans establish themselves in the pristine countryside, converting the natives to western civilization so hard they're still butthurt today.
>Same colonists take one look at the shithole of abos and stinging knife animals that comprises australia and said "fuck that, make that whooooooole fuckin place a prison"

It really says something when one of Australia's greatest national icons, Ned Kelly, was an outlaw and is popular solely for 'killin cops like a sick cunt'
Don't ever compare likeness to our two countries.

Ive always thought it was strange how new zealand is like paradise and australia is a desert shit hole.
Regardless if new zealand is so good why so many of you sheep shagging coconuts swim over to australia to live?

Jobs
Id go the other way if I could but there is fuck all work

OP here
Honestly im looking at doing it myself now, I just got put off when my mechanic (who is a family friend) talked about how much work goes into changing it

I do need my car 5 days a week so if I fuck it up then RIP...but I doubt it will fuck up as bad as a belt snapping

Mechanic said he could see the bare metal in the belt after he got a cover off enough to have a look so it sounds pretty close

Jesus you sound agitated as fuck, did an aussie fuck your wife?

>bare metal in the belt
I... What?

Bare metal?

Thats what the mechanic said, ive never changed one so I took his word for it, as far as im aware he meant the inner of the belt is metal wrapped in rubber like a truck tire and that the rubber had worn off

Is that just mechanic BS?

Own a R33 GT-R.
Agreeing with these two.

Listen, I'm not trying to discredit your family friend, but I think he is for sure trying to rip you off.
What model is your toyota? I've yet to see a toyota that requires over a grand worth of work to replace a fucking belt. I'd like to look into this myself to see if this is true or not.

Timing belts are made from rubber. Some manufacturers will put other shit in it like kevlar to give it extra durability, and less stretch, but I've never heard of metal bands being impregnated into the rubber.

Secondly, for your mechanic to check the condition of the belt, I imagine he had the cover for your belts taken off, or, it was exposed. This indicates to me that you won't need to pull your motor to replace it. Hell, you shouldn't really even need to jack it up.

Thirdly, if your car is a transversally mounted V6, it has a length (car width) of 3 cylinders. This means there should be plenty of room between the struts to access the timing belt. If it looks hidden or crammed, you will probably have to take off your airbox, battery, anything that's in the way. It's a toyota not a fucking saab.

Can anyone with more experience in timing belts back me up or disprove me on this? I don't want to see this faggot roo get fucked over too hard by a supposed friend, if that's the case, ofc.

Well this is good news because it could save me $1000 seeming its $200 worth of parts for a full kit
He did say he looked at the belt by peeking through a hole

Its a 2002 toyota avalon (australian) with a 1MZ-FE engine

Thanks for the help mate, if its easy ill do it myself

>pic related

It probably won't be "easy", depending on your definition. It'll be easier than $1000, that's for sure. As long as you get the angle of the cams right and the tensioner right, you can't fuck up.
But it'll be free. A mechanics course on doing belts will probably cost you $200, so you'll make your money back by learning the good way.
Do it on a saturday, that way if you run into more problems than you can solve, you've got sunday to unfuck yourself. Have a plan to borrow a family member's car in case you need to wait on japan to send parts.
Also laugh in the mechanics face when you tell him you fixed it for $200 and a couple of hours. Tell him you want a job getting paid $500 an hour

Good luck ya fucking roo.

Also fuck the water pump if you're just using it for 3 months. You won't need the full $200 kit, just an $80 belt.

You'll need an engine brace or a floor jack with a hit of wood under the sump because you'll need to unbolt the engine mounts on the side of the belt so you can raise/lower is to fuck around with the tensioners.

$1200 for a timing belt kit and waterpump on a transverse V6 is pretty normal, you're looking at 6 hours of labor.
That's sure as shit not mates rates, though.

So if im going to do it myself I only have basic tools and a good socket set, is that enough? Also what size belt do I need?

Why are people so fucking retarded, if you cant wrench and have to pay 1.2k for a timing belt job then why the fuck are you gonna buy a 30 years old car that is gonna be in pretty bad condition? This is why you idiots always stay poor

Im not a complete noob but ive never touched the engine besides fluids
Ive changed over things like brake pads and coil packs which are pretty basic

I have a mate who has an r32 gtst who has pulled the engine apart multiple times just to tune it, he said he would help me fine a decent condition one to start and really help me learn the motor

I may be a noob but im very keen to work on it

>Also what size belt do I need?
You have to be kidding me.

I assume an LS would have a different size belt to a boxer engine?

OP here
Found this online and I have most of the tools, if im just replacing the belt it should cut down on a lot of the work too
>axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Toyota-1MZFE-Timing-Belt-Replacement-Camry-Avalon-ES300

Looks like an easy to follow tutorial... Now to find a weekend

>LS
>belt
LOOK UP YOUR ENGINE'S SPECIFIC TIMING BELT you fucking neanderthal.
Or just leave it the three months. Timing belts are designed to far extend the scheduled life of the engine.

Dude im just asking questions, ive already said its a 1MZFE engine and was wondering what belt size to get if anyone knew off the top of their head

>and was wondering what belt size to get if anyone knew off the top of their head
why the fuck do you need to know the belt size.

Because im thinking of ordering a belt and i thought it would be helpful
Im thinking like its a similar thing to tires where you say "yeah im looking for some 205/65r16's" as opposed to saying "yeah I have an avalon, what tires do you have?"

a-hem. LOOK UP YOUR ENGINE'S SPECIFIC TIMING BELT you fucking neanderthal.
Fuck me, I really hope you only manage to get your hands on an already run down R33 you incompetent twit.

>OP admits to being a noob and asks genuine question
>better curbstomp him with insults

Dude...

That being said, OP he is right, call up an auto parts store and tell them your engine, most engines have different belts so let them find the one youre after

>Toyota
>timing belt
Keep it under 7k RPM and mileage under 200k (miles) and you'll be fine.

The ppl talking shit pay other ppl to work on their cars. Why else would they go in a forum for inexperienced benchracers and try to pretend they have ever even changed the sparkplugs on an RB. They probably don't even know how and why the alternator is wired the way it is... Lmao these niggas probably changed the automatic trans fluid in their car instead of going to jiffy lube and thought their dirty hands looked cool.

They always play up how hard the repair is. I had to take off the valve cover timing cover 2 engine mounts the serpentine belt and some misc wires and tubes to get to my timing chain. It took one weekend and the parts were just over $100. It might make your car easier to sell too. I generally look if preventative maintenance has been done when I look at older cars.

what kind of random shit has broken

also how long was it off the road or unusable in the time since youve owned it

R33 is a shit car dude. i sold my R32 and bought an R33 once, it was garbage, it doesnt feel right to drive you know what i mean? went back to R32 within two months. now i drive R34, its the best GT-R.
R34 > R32 >> dogshit >> R33

Not that guy but a swap is going to be more problematic than a stock gtst or gts4 would be.

The r32 is the best gtr. R34 is just hype and aesthetics.

OP isn't looking at GTR's
H
The r34 is pretty much a facelift of the R33 gtst Thats twice the price because of meme tax
R32s are getting hard to find and are all of 20kg less

Although I do agree r34-r32-r33... But youre exaggerating how far apart they are

OP here, I have a full day off tomorrow and am going to try change this fucker myself

Should be a good learning experience, Id rather fuck up my motor now than an rb25 later

Ill be sure to post in this thread about how much I fuck up should it still be here

>Different wheelbase and huge driveline changes
>Facelift

Why does Veeky Forums sperg so hard whenever GTRs are brought up?

Do what all the sketchy fuckers do and say it's been replaced. When asked point the to accessory belt. If you're called out on it play dumb.

>OP isnt looking at GTR's
the GTST and the GT-T? Whichever the single turbo r34 is is pretty much the same and the differences are not worth the twice the price meme tax

Nope. R34 has the god tier NEO

Bump for OP's success story

because australia is a million times better than new zealand.

Lol no
Australia is a police state
New Zealand is a free country
Hell they can still have AR15's yet the Australian media won't stop going on about a lever action shotgun being military grade

wow big surprise there are no laws when you live in a '''country''' thats one big jungle

Kek im Australian
If there were jobs in NZ id go there pretty quick

Ausfaggot here, this.
If I didn't have family here, and there was work in NZ, I'd move there in a second. Truly stunning countryside,

new zealand doesnt have animals that will kill you plus it has uniform modifaction laws what goes in on part is legal in the whole country, not different variances state to state.

and aussie full of roo fuckers.

Come on OP, give us an update.

grrr so angery >:CCC

OP here,
update is a bit disappointing
I got to the dodgy step in the guide saying "if you dont have an impact wrench get a breaker bar and tie it to the chassis, then thump the engine"

well.... I did that and the breaker bar just bent

so RIP for today, but I did get a good sized dent out while I was under the splash guard

I'll make another thread when I get a day off next week, unfortunately I have work all day the next 4 days so that wont be for a while :/