Best Lightweight RWD Toyota

>These two are the fastest and lightest RWD cars Toyota has ever produced ( > 3000lbs).

USDM detuning aside and taking into account original factory spec

Which is the better car o?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FFEi-0Rx6J0
carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/23436930
japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-toyota-mr2-g-limited/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

do you even have to ask

Toyobaru duh

>Toyobaru

Mind explaining?

The mr2... But the 3rd generation...

Mr2 spyder

MR2 straight up has more hp, even with massive turbolag it accelerates very strongly like any MR car. The engine is also built for boosting.
50/50 FR is supposedly better for driving though. PLus stock LSD on all models.
I'd say they're about equal. There's a huge difference in price though.

>original factory spec
>1ZZ

no

Get gign 2zz swap or twin turbo it isn't too expensive and you end up with a faster lighter car than most stuff on the streets

>debating over 2 cars with less power than a Camry

They're both garbage

Did you even read the op

I don't know why you cant believe it.

I did, but I have to say that the third gen is more fun to dd and to throw around the corners. The mr2 sw20 turbo is the best of the two in OP, but they are expensive if in good condition and relatively unreliable.

For starters it won't kill you by snap-oversteering into incoming traffic.

MR2 Sw20 turbo

>massive turbolag
MR2 makes full torque at 4K below rev band, and peak power at 6K. There's no lag.
>The engine is also built for boosting.
It's an Iron block so it's just more durable than aluminum
>50/50 FR is supposedly better for driving though
It's not faster in the turns. Even the 3SGE MR2 is faster.
>PLus stock LSD on all models.
MR2 came with an LSD from 1992-2000

Only if you lift off the gas/brake too quickly in a corner.

stock for stock third gen is slower

Sw20 NA is slower than the zzw30

>the third gen is more

no roof, don't care

I will say with a 2zz and roof its a beast, but stock Toyota made it as poop
Pro tip- A USDM Corolla comes with a 1ZZ

you were saying

I would have bought an sw20 turbo, but all of the ones in my area were $11,000+ and had many issues. Sw20 NA is less expensive than the zzw30, but it is slower. The zzw30 is a more modern car and doesn't have the scary snap oversteer issue that the other two generations had.

Depends on the track and type of racing. For instance, in autocross the zzw30 is more competitive because of its low weight. But people exaggerate how slow the zzw30 is. It has great track potential if you are out are willing to turbo or do a 1zz swap.

there is no massive turbo lag. it's a small, twin-scroll turbo.

>snap-oversteering
youtu.be/FFEi-0Rx6J0

>your fucking face when an MR2 beat a
>Supra
>GTR
>NSX
>RX-7
and
>Silvia S14

stock around Tsukuba

2nd gen a best gen

Also, 50/50 isn't ideal, and the 86 isn't 50/50, it's 54/46 or something right?

>it won't kill you
>just don't lift off while steering
>or brake
>or make any sudden movements
>just don't steer

pick and line and stick to it.

plan your braking in advance.

>scary snap oversteer
see Literally beating Japanese supercars

>all of the ones in my area were $11,000+
Import one. 25 year rule here in US is maturing. Can be had for 4-8K

Or just buy a 3rd gen :^)

Supra with twin turbos.

If I get bored of my spyder I will.

depends on the model, us n/as had the 5SFE and are definitely slower than the spyder.

>Depends on the track

Bruh, it's Tsukuba. Literally the smallest and most prestigious Japanese track in the world. Anything smaller is for indoor go-karts.

>hooning on the touge
>stick to the line no matter what

What is traffic, potholes, some animals wandering into the road?

Tfw it had 8 second 0 to 60. This is why I didn't get a Usdm sw20 NA

> pushing the car anywhere near it's limits on roads with traffic and potholes
> dodging animals and killing yourself

>he can't drive
see Git gud
>35hundred fucking lbs
>based on a luxury car platform
no

Don't push your car to its limits on the road. You do that on a track or when you go conefagging

I never really understood why everyone is using Tsukuba when benchracing. It's not like most of us go there to race. I can understand Laguca Seca, Silverstone, Memering, etc but fucking Tsukuba?
Are 75% of users japanese or what?

an n/a import can be had shipped for under 4K

it's easier to find favorable times for japanese cars on tsukuba

The sw20 turbo is great. I have a friend with one, and he loves it.
The issues that prevented me from getting one were:
High initial price and poor condition of local turbo specimens.
Slow naturally aspirated usdm models.
Relatively poor reliability as a DD.

It's a handling proving ground where the *majority of Japanese manufacturers tune their cars to be the fastest on* i.e. all Hondas ever made

>buy sportscar
>never ever do any spirited driving/little bit of drifting outside of track days
Get yourself an econobox for the city and a $1000 track warrior POS for track days.

there's a difference between spirited driving and driving close enough to the car's limits that you'll make the kind of mistake that'll kill you.

I do spirited driving, but you can't be pushing your car so hard that you risk accidents. Snap oversteer only happens when you are pushing your car to the limits. Also why would I want to drive a gross looking ecobox normally.

Don't listen to them
>youtu.be/FFEi-0Rx6J0

Best Motoring/Hot Version did a Gunsai test and the MR2 was literally faster than every other car in the field including

>Evo
>WRX
>Celica GT-Four
>Ford Sierra Cosworth
>Silvia
>etc

It's quite literally the best Turo 4 in the mid-90s

*Turbo

*touge

>Supra
>GTR
Too be fair, keeping those cars stock is a disservice to them. They only have 30 hp more stock while being much heavier. They're known for being boosted to retarded power, especially poopra.

Why not listen to me when I'm saying you can enjoy spirited driving in an mr2 without risking death by not pushing it to its limits on normal roads?

But at it's limits it's faster on the backroads/touge too?

This car is a corner carving monster on the backroad

They are both shit.

>They only have 30 hp more stock

Real world dyno shows the GTR at 320-340 stock
Same for the Supra

Toyota also opted for using the 3SGTE in JGTC instead of the 2JZ engine as well, so the MR2's engine is also the better performer

>Which is the better car o?
I own a GT86, but the correct answer is MR2. If I could've gotten a 3 year old MR2 for 17k bucks I would've gotten it in a heartbeat. If I could live with a 20 year and 200,000 miles old car I would've gotten an MR2 aswell. But I wanted something that hasn't seen much abuse yet and won't turn into a to-do-list anytime soon. Not that I couldn't do whatever's on such a list, but I require a car that just works whenever I need it, even if I don't have the time to work in it 4 weekends in a row. The GT86 is a daily driver, not a dedicated funcar. If I could, I'd get an MR2 in addition to a cheap beater, but taxes and insurance for 2 cars would kill me.

ITT: snap-oversteer mememobile vs slow mememobile

>GT86
>SLOWER THAN A V6 MUSTANG (WITHOUT IRS)

You can't make this shit up.

Literally the vape naish of cars.

Just be careful for traffic and if your car is slipping, don't push it more. Make sure it is an open road that you could see any traffic from a mile away. Canyons/touge can be a bit dangerous because of oncoming traffic and other people being bad at driving.

Name a faster lightweight RWD Toyota that's not the MR2.

which car would you recommend instead in the same RWD weight class

Rx7 Fd twin turbo?

>SLOWER THAN A V6 MUSTANG (WITHOUT IRS)

*cough* fucking kill yourself

>yfw a 20 year old toyota is faster than a NEW Mustang
see It's faster than an RX-7 stock

It costs a shit ton to buy and sucks to maintain and overheats, but it's fast.

>meming meme the post

t. handicapped bus cuck

The twin turbo version of the rx7 fd is faster than the mr2 (if I recall correctly)

>if your car is slipping, don't push it more
You don't have a very thorough understanding of the snap oversteer. The car turns in and grips like nothing else, there is no breakaway and tire squealing like you find in a car with a light rear end. There is only sudden and unexpected yaw movement that you have no way to counteract. I had an mr2 for most of a year before I found the limit of rear end traction at corner entry, and it went right on around and I broadsided a tree, even though I was experienced with countersteering miatas, corollas, etc

Then take the mr2 conefagging so you know the limits. I don't drive a sw20, I drive a zzw30. And if I push it too hard in acceleration in a corner I get a little slip before spinning. You won't get a warning for snap oversteer though, because that's involved with weight transfer.

stock factory spec in mid-90s

should also be noted the 3SGTE can handle more boost than a 13B

Ok. That's amazing. It's a fair comparison because the mr2 gt-s and the fd twin turbo are both the fastest versions of their lines.

>MR2 is literally a god of god machines

Then, where did all the snappy memes come from??

Bad suspension design exacerbated by the shitty tires it came with. Also, bad drivers

But all these comparisons are of stock cars?

>200,000 miles
You can get plenty of used ones with less than 100K KM

Most in better shape than all the rebuilt title FR-S/BRZ's you'll see on craigslist for less than half the price

>You can get plenty of used ones with less than 100K KM
YOU can, maybe, I couldn't find one in good shape in my country, unless I wanted to pay 15k upward.

Import, it's not hard

Harder than picking a car up from the next best dealership. And pretty expensive.

>Harder than picking a car up from the next best dealership
Importers ship the car directly from port to anywhere you want
>And pretty expensive
Used SW20's are selling between 3-7K.

Should I do it?

carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/23436930

Should I put a coffee machine in the trunk and water reservoir in frunk to make a coffee car out of a SW20

honestly if you have decent credit and are apart of a credit union, I would just finance a cheap QUALITY import like japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-toyota-mr2-g-limited/

you get a t-top and come down on the roof

you're dead

step your game up senpie

>has some nasty looking rust on the rocker/quarter
>more rust on hood
>missing stuff on the front right
>$2,800

what the fuck? On what planet would this be worth $2,800?

>never clean because fuck lol forgot it in the car for the hundredth time
>run out of proprietary coffee packs and never refill
fantastic

>financing a "tastefully modified" jap import sight unseen
Life advice doesn't get much better than that

That's the issue with benchracing. You can argue that the drivers are better than your average retard but stock numbers hardly represent the average Jap shitbox.

If nothing else it's there to say "this car is good, it can do this stock and God knows what else with sick eBay mods." The only people that take them as anything more than that are bus cucks.

>Previous owners children were crying

I would be too kids. I would be too.

you really have no idea what happens at the auction sites before and after import do you?

>stock numbers hardly represent the average Jap shitbox

stock numbers represent all cars

that's how they were built and sold from the factory you fucking retard

The prospective buyer doesn't get to throughly inspect and test drive like they would in a private sale

Protip: grades don't mean shit
People get fucked with blind imports all the time

like I said before

you really have no idea

do some research next time

Oh, it's got a wing on it, it must be fast

>MR2 makes full torque at 4K below rev band, and peak power at 6K. There's no lag.
You have no idea what the phrase turbo lag means. Here's a hint: it has nothing to do with where in the power band the peak power or torque is.

I was giving an example, but be my guest enlighten us all with a full explanation as to why the 3SGTE stock has turbo lag and where/how it comes on and off while accelerating?

The turbo on 3SGTE is sized/tuned well and has full spool all through the powerband

>I was giving an example
Your example was irrelevant because had nothing to do with turbo lag. Anyway, I'm not going to bother explaining the basics of turbocharging to some random person on the internet at 1:30 in the morning. Just google it.

>y-you're wrong and I know better
>j-just google it, duh

go away
you have nothing to offer this thread or the op obviously

No as in Like a coffee van

Beat me to it.

Go for the 4wd 3000gt you fucking pleb.