Winter preparation thread

With winter right around the corner, it seems like a good idea to remind fellow axons of things to look out for.

>remove rust while you can
Once those roads get sprayed I can guarantee it'll get worse.
>wash your damn vehicle
If you don't then the shit they put on the roads will get on your vehicle and cause rust.
>if you don't know how to and/or aren't confident driving on snowy roads, get winter tires
End of discussion. If you aren't good enough to handle snow without them, get them. At minimum have good all seasons on. I don't need one of y'all hitting me.

Other urls found in this thread:

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5845825472.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5820706972.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5843713316.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5841225306.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

PREACH

Got a new vehicle this year. Looking closer at the tires they say all terrain instead of all season. I've always driven all season in past winters here in winnipeg. are all terrain gonna be alright too? or are they only summer tires.

>Got a new vehicle
Put it in a garage and get a winter beater.

So after all my years of not having winter tires, I bought a used beater with winters on it and had a winter and a half in them. (Car was FF) I was amazed at how well it was in the snow. Now I just bought an "AWD" (It's ATESSA) car and want to put winters on this and become invincible in winter.

Reminder that all season tires are no season tires and you're a retarded faggot if you use them

I don't mean new as in new. New to me.

>Winnipeg
o7 you crazy bastard. Winnipeg showed me the difference between cold and fucking cold.

>New to me.
And I meant beater to you too.

my subaru outback with michelin xice3 (thanks Veeky Forums) is a beast through snow with the awd. I actually look forward to storms cause a) job may call snowday and b) cruise around all comfy like in winter wonderland.

So it's okay to drive summer tires in pouring rain?

Yes

So I just got this '91 miata with a 1.8l swap.

should bother with getting a hardtop and snow tires and coating the underside of this car

or just get a $1k winter beater?

Why would you want to drive a beater for half the year?

Well my other concern is, as far as I remember, summer tires are sensitive to lower temps. Where I live it can get as low as 35ish, but no snow.

xice3 or blizzak, Veeky Forums?

...and why?

because the miata has no ac/heat and radio. its bare bones. take a look at the engine bay.

Also it has no rust at all.

I like having a beater so my nice car doesn't have to get driven daily, but snow tires and you should be fine. Plus RWD so you can actually have fun when you want to.

Some people don't feel like owning/insuring/registering/maintaining two cars

I didn't say drive the miata in the winter. I'm not an idiot.
I said don't drive a beater in the winter. Drive a decent car.
If you've got to have a beater, get a beater for the summer. Like you did, with the miata.

>wanting hundreds of below freezing cold starts on your valuable car
>knowing anything about engine wear and how much this jeopardizes longevity
>wanting rust, salt stains
>hating your valuable car this much
>good tires on a shit car will save your winter experience.

No reason to plummet down the slope of depreciation on a nicer car because of your insecurities.

my idea of a beater and your idea of a beater might be different.

These are what i consider beaters

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5845825472.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5820706972.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5843713316.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5841225306.html

1. Don't you have a heated garage at home, and underground parking at work?
2. Who cares about longevity, why would you keep a vehicle longer then 3-4 years?
3. Fucking wash your car then.
4. What?
5. You can put winter tires on a nice car if you need them. I never have.

Yeah, we are in accord that those are beaters. Just please don't buy that fucking accord.
I mean think about it. 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, for the 28 weeks of winter per year? PLUS any driving you do not in commute?
Do you really want to spend that much time in a PoS like those?

>if you don't know how to and/or aren't confident driving on snowy roads, get winter tires

Its illegal to drive without those here, thank god.

Even so, I make it a point to take a day off the first day it snows. So many retards not putting their tires in time end up crashing and causing mad traffic.

Where the fuck do you live that's filled with such idiots that you need to force them to put on winter tires to stop them from crashing?

Quebec.

Cheap cunts were running all season tires in winter storms.

Oh, fucking pepsi's. Of couse you assholes don't know how to drive.

Mother fucking Winnipeg.

The place where when they actually plow side streets they rip up 4" of hard packed snow/ice.

Where I drove around for a week with my hand brake on and didn't notice cause it was all just ice.

Where people complain of frozen water lines to their house in summer.

Goddam, I miss that city.

Get winter tires man. Don't fuck around, Winnipeg is a place where winter tires really shine and allot of people switch over between winter and 'all season'.

1. Don't you have a heated garage at home, and underground parking at work?
Where the fuck do you work/live that you get something that nice? We have neither where I live nor where I work.

2. Who cares about longevity, why would you keep a vehicle longer then 3-4 years?
wut? Do you only drive 1k shitboxes or something?

3. Fucking wash your car then.
This is a must during the winter. You could ignore it until the first time they throw down salt, but no longer. Wash it every day after it has been on salted roads.

4. What?
He means you wouldn't want to abuse your vehicle this way if it was at all valuable to you. Since it has no value the assumption is that you must hate it.

5. You can put winter tires on a nice car if you need them. I never have.
Same here. I've just rocked all season/weather tires and got good at driving.

>Wash it every day after it has been on salted roads.
>no heated garage

You're out in the cold every day washing your car?

No, usually put it through the car wash on my way home.

Whats a good way to remove rust, especially inside the engine bay?
Starting to get a bit of surface rust.
I would prefer to not have to take everything apart.

>ruining your cars paint

Maybe if you let the clear coat wear of or something. If that happens just put some more on. It's not hard.

Thank God I live in the south where the only way your car rust is if you drive it through the ocean water

When you say remove rust, you mean just climbing under your car with a wire brush wheel on a grinder, and spray bombing it all before it rusts over again?

Fellow Winnipeg here

Fucking get with mpi for winter tire program. You can very cheaply finance winter tires.

You know, so you don't die on the road

No, he means by licking off the rust and then gold plating it

Is winter proofing a real thing, or is it a scam? How do you wash your car when it's -30 C outside?

You wash it with hot water idiot

>implying hot water doesn't turn cold then freezes
n1 'tard

>tfw european and our cars do not rust from a bit of snow and salt
stay salty boys

This shit, right here. Beaters not only save your car for the snow and salt but also are great because fuck it. $500 bucks for a few months is nothing.

>doesn't wash his car with antifreeze

Hard top is nice because it retains heat better.
AND SPRAY THE REAR QUATER PANELS WITH SOME BLACK PRIMER OR SOMETHING TO PROTECT THAT GOD DAMN CORNER. IT RUST OUT SO FUCKING EASILY.
I ran all seasons in minneasota on a 91 for a couple years it was fine. Snow tires would have been better tho.

How often is it -30 C where you live user?
It only ever hits that cold a couple of times a year most places.

>tfw Texas
Feels good man

1k winter beater, trust me

I live in Canada. Often enough.

I envy you. I want to move to Austin.

>tfw your engine leaks so much oil it automatically rust proofs your entire undercarriage from dripping and spraying backward at highway speed

>heated garage
most people are lucky to even have an actual garage in older neighborhoods. Most just have a driveway and maybe a carport.

hey at least we have a shit ton of driveway and yard space unlike the new brick-veneer homes

>I am too lazy to take off 8 screws and replace a piece of rubber

Is there not just some under carage shit I can spray on to stop rust?

You have not tried Conti DWS.
>Miats
>New Mexico
>Clovis
>BLIZZARD FROM FUCKING NOWHERE
>just fine
>next day
>inch of ice packed on road
>0 fucks given
>so many people innaditch
>move to Iowa
>same Contis
>get stares
>brap all up innasnows

t. never worked on cars

So is a wire brush the best way to get rid of rust on the undercarriage? Or would one of those chemical ones work? If price doesn't matter which would be the fastest & most effective at stopping rust?

Luckily the bottom of my car has a light coat of oil all over which helps protect it from rust.

On this subject, is there anything I can do relatively on a budget to save my miats if the left rear wheel well is getting rusty? For now it's only visibly from the underside of the quarterpanel and the inside of the wheel well, starting to creep up the side a little though

Unless it's been repainted, that's a 92 not a 91, 92 was the first year for black and it only came on the "black and tan" special edition

Do you have tan leather interior? The factory BBS wheels are often gone but that's a sure-fire way to tell

t. previous black&tan owner

its a 91 and yes its been repainted.

pic related is the Craigslist ad.

>having to worry about winter

Thinking about actually buying snow tires this year, but I'm unsure what to go with. What would Veeky Forums recommend in a 31" or 265/75R15 for around $150 or less a piece?

texas?

LA

A Miata is already a beater.

That`s bullshit tho,

Ordered a new exhaust last night. All 4 cats and a flowmaster DI/SO exhaust.

Rust finally got the exhaust, and one or more of the cats clogged last season. Shouldn't have waited this long to do it, It's already 20F

>deleted the flip-up headlights

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

that said, no don't winter it, way too "nice" to rust into oblivion
If you have the funds any $1-2k FF shitbox should do just fine

I feel you as fuck

tfw manual Forester with General Altimax Arctics ready to mount when snow starts, I am fucking unstoppable

>75r
I'm not too familiar with 4x4 tires but with winter the narrower tires fare better in snow while wider tires will be better in commuter slush/ frozen asphalt. Either being better on ice is debatable.

>snow tires
Who the hell actually needs these? At a guess I'd figure just canucks and southerners who can't into snow.

Snow tires with studs or get out. I live in the woods up north and I can count on a plow once a weed, I'd rather walk than drive in no season tires or summer tires.

>tfw manual Forester with General Altimax Arctics
I have a 2.5l 08 auto outback w/ limited slip rear differential. werks gud.

Not anymore, prices have doubled in the last year.

Are underpanels a good idea for winter protection?

Also looking for any excuse to install Aero mods sooooo

>You're out in the cold every day washing your car?
Rinsing the bottom off is not that hard or involved. My summer watering wand has a swivel head with various spray settings. So I use that to conveniently wash under the car without even needing to stoop down.

>Austin, Texas
What the fuck is winter
You mean that thing that happens every couple of years where the grass freezes and everyone on I-35 does 40 in a 70?

Cut it and patch it. Only way to be sure.

How should I 100% winter proof a Honda s2000? I'll only be driving it on dry roads, but still, there is salt that will get on it.