/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

qt edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Spengies Server Pasta serb consumed by CLANG
pastebin.com/uPudaAyJ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCdBhluje9KahmlnU6cibZfg/videos
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800643498
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st for ded

>AWESOME NEW ENGINEERS UPDATE
when will this be true?

literally never
unless the marek and the nuKeen are successfully gassed

are the real devs all busy working on skynet?

No, they're working on ruining spengos to the point that people stop playing and they don't have to update anymore

>KEEN
>real devs
There are only cultists and the brainwashed they have bound to Him.

then who are working on that AI project?

Nobody.

Friendly reminder Reinhard did nothing wrong.

>goodai

>keen's goodai
>keen go die
it was a message

Probbably just the marek when he's not crying about his dev team's incompetence

#NotMySponges

RIP getFreeDestination

Threadly reminder to gas marek.

>and it's totally legal
I have some bad news for you.

>inb4 the entire /egg/ userbase is on one or another czech watch-list for repeated threats

They changed it?

Avorion no longer dead. Amazing!

>goodai

I thought this was an epic dev meme like the Homestar Runner thing, but then I looked it up.

It looks shady as fuck.

the best part is it has its own soundtrack

youtube.com/channel/UCdBhluje9KahmlnU6cibZfg/videos

>more soundtrack than demo videos

what's even better is that every single one of the demo videos was absolutely elementary shit

nothing we haven't seen in the last 20 years, literally

>two round burst
>totally legal
user, unless you live in Canada or somewhere, I suggest you double-check that. Unless more ATF fuckery has occurred (which is possible), then it's still considered a "machine gun" because it fires more than one round with one pull of the trigger AFAIK.

There was a specific technicality dealing with the Mini-14 staple trick and solely to that configuration of an induced malfunction that enabled it to be technically legal to do, and it was an open secret for a while. If that's changed recently due to legislation then oh well.

I'm not familiar with how a mini14's trigger group works, but that sounds dumb but plausible.

Man, fuck the ATF.

Oh, right, it was with the exact wording. 'Pull'. The second shot fires on the release. IIRC they recently changed the wording to be closer to 'actuation' or 'operating cycle'.

>second shot fires on the release
Yeah, I'm 99% certain the wording was changed and that would be illegal now, unfortunately.

>pull

Shit, that's actually really clever.

You have no idea how long people have had to pour over existing regulations to come up with backhanded mechanical solutions to exploit loopholes.

I'm not American but I've heard tell.

That's not the even least of it. We used to have something called a 'burp gun'.

>robocucking
>team is useless fuckwads and are getting steamrolled
>notice 2 guys are AFK
>type "are you guys even playing?"
>guy on my own team types back "U MAD BRO?" as our base gets destroyed

>join 50 player server on empyrion

>choose PVP planet as a starter planet

>giant fucking holes litter the surface of where newbie bases used to be

f-fug

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800643498

The fuck? Is this a mechanical PID controller?

This is engineering.

>bought FtD in a bundle for ridiculously small price
>installed it
>my first skirmish in tutorials ended with me running ashore
I am up for a fun ride, am I not?

Can you feel the smell of freedom?

>I am up for a fun ride, am I not?
Indeed. And remember THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

How does /egg/ build their ships?

Subsystems first, or appearances first?

Subsystems first, and then i try to build a nice looking casing for the subsystems.

a little of both really, if it's a small ship. i usually start from the cockpit and work back through oxygen and into the main reactor block,then start laying down the hull lines a little.

Do people not build offline protection modules?

offline protection modules only kick in like 5-10 minutes after logging off, and they only last a set amount of days while being offline.

That said it's also the starter planet allegedly so people just creep newbies and there's nothing they can do.

it's disabled on this server

wew

not that hard to prove
his games are rather expressive, there's a lot you can do. in kohctypop, spacechem, infinifactory any conceivable puzzle is solvable given infinite space (and if all output blocks/elements are available one way or another, which is trivial to prove).
all of those are turing-complete as well.

I should clean my electric grill.

1 2 3 4 TURTLES

neat

WWHAHATAHWHWTAHWTAH

Turtle power dude.

>make general exterior design
>place thrusters
>find coziest cockpit layout and size
>interior systems like powa, gyros, piping, and whatever else is needed
Most of the time I end up with catwalks on the flat exterior surfaces because I needed more interior room than the outer walls allowed
it works out eventually though

pic related, reverse thrust was stuffed inside the nose because muh classic lines

Definitely has more pulling power

mirin that hydrotrucc

>suicide into base turrets so many times that it runs out of ammo

WEW

>nx15's house

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it.

Has anyone ever made a hovercraft that's really effective in any gravity? Like, the idea I had is that it'd use hydrogen thrusters rather than ion or atmospheric. You'd have two sets of 'hover thrusters', one set that's always burning, but just weak enough so that the gravity is still pulling it downwards. The other set would pulse on and off to ensure you stay at the desired altitude.

Of course, there's really no reason to not just use aircraft, though I was figuring it'd have something to do with staying under the radar or allow for a bit more armor. After all, if you don't have to worry about thruster clearance on top at all, and with reduced clearance on the sides, and you really don't have to worry about armor on the bottom, you can focus on specializing it for combat.

Or it'd just look absolutely bitchin'. Get one with a fixed forward cannon so you can go tank hunting.

Speaking of land vehicles, did anyone make anything resembling Kapisi or any of those Coalition cruisers yet?

I've tried both, but they definitely have their drawbacks. If you build subsystems first, like your picture, you're gonna end up with a brick. No offense, of course.

If you focus on appearance first, you're probably gonna run out of interior space, like says.

Personally I try to think of the silhouette first, how it looks from one side to another. I have a big thing for modularity, too, and I've tried to build cargo ships with detachable pods in the past.

>armored hovercraft
>with fixed forward cannon
Found fellow spandex enthusiast.

VS best.

Though I actually wasn't thinking of the Vanu when I was writing it, I had played a game of Battlefield 4 on one of those Final Stand maps with the hovertanks, they follow the same basic premise. It can angle up and down, but it can't turn at all.

Obviously it has disadvantages, but there are some big perks you get with the bonus to maneuverability. Though, what I had in mind was less 'penis gun' and more an offset cockpit with a gun opposite it. A penis gun would likely work better, though, as the recoil is in line with the forward thrust.

and his bigger brother

Somewhat engineering-related: is there a whatever-person shooter where you design your weapons?
I recall there being two or three games about that but for the life of me I can't remember any names.

Something like Nemesis maybe?

Im gonna try to do this in spungos...
Maybe using rotor displacement and wheel friction can get the legs and its movement. moves like a bug???

sperm

I think you're referring to Blacklight, the idea was that you had different receivers of varying types, and depending on the barrels, stocks, grips or ammunition had different effects. The same receiver could be used for a close range bullet hose carbine or a long range marksman's rifle, usually.

And yeah, sorta like that but probably on a smaller scale. I figure that if you're going with a fixed forward gun, you're either going to:
>Sacrifice armor to get the biggest gun on the smallest frame you can, closer to a self propelled gun
>Have no other option, the weapon is too big to fit on anything smaller and still keep its effect
The latter is along the lines of the Gaalsien railgun cruiser that posted. It's a giant fuckoff railgun with antigravity propulsion built around it. I'd adore to build one in Spengies or FTD, if only they both had decent land combat.

Speaking of which, I haven't looked at FTD in almost a year, what's happened lately? Any news on land combat? I want my Kapisi with hovertanks and shit.

>railgun in spengos
projectiles are too slow if they are dead weight only, happens with lots of man made weapons, they are somehow limited to 90m/s

>sperm
>reminded me of that one time someone calculated how much raw data storage was in one jizzload
Out of curiosity, anyone know what the theoretical read/write speed is for shit like this?
I know that quantum computers are the new mainstream meme next ebin thing, but how viable is it for frankenstien to start making storage drives?

There was loadout, not sure how it's looking now but I got into the alpha back when, they had a lot of variety in accuracy, projectile type, damage variant, RoF and such. There was also guncraft and I think Ace of Spades were you could voxel guns. Guncraft required the gun to be voted on the workshop before you could use it though I think. The notable feature of all these games is that they're ded and/or dildos

Obviously not right now, I was thinking if someone ever made a FTD style mod for custom weapons. As it stands, FTD has no real land combat (and I absolutely SUCK at flyers, holy hell I can't build something to stay in the air at all.) I'm just not a fan with how the weapons are handled in Spengies, you can't build a specific gun for a specific job/craft, and the vanilla guns are terrible.
>tfw the Adeptus Mechanicus probably has semen-based databases somewhere
Holy shit I forgot about Loadout.

>and of course I forgot the picture
Fuck mobileposting, and fuck apple.
Hate being forced to do this.
>you're using a vpn even though you're not so we'll ban you for one month, autorenewing

If artificial gravity was still usable on blanets (maybe with increased power draw or something) that would be bretty cool, fuckhueg tonks with gravity cannons that can rip bases in half. speedcap mod would probably necessary though
>tfw shooting a projectile so fast it phases through the first layer of the target and blows out the other side

Speedcap mods are fun, I got one ages ago that upped the limit to ~100,000 m/s or so, I can't remember.
This was back before jump drives, so what I figured was that you'd build space stations with 'jump rings' that're just a crapton of gravity generators, and stick a single artificial gravity block on your ship.
Let's say that you have three generators on a side, per layer, each set to 1 G. Then let's say you have, just to be even, ten layers, with each layer being 5 meters (two blocks, alternating between gravity generators and the base they're attached to.)
So that's 50 meters and approximately 120 G, round it out to an even 1200 m/s^2. You're probably not going to be in there for a full second, but if you took the effort to spread the layers out (say, put them ~20 blocks away from each other for a more even and longer lasting acceleration), you can get some mad acceleration.
Hell, this still might be a cost effective strategy for smaller ships that can't afford a jump drive.

And completely unrelated, do the physics break if you try to make a space elevator?

Now we space truckin

Colored from what is on them?
oxygen and hydro?

See how easy that makes it?

muh space panama has the same.
i wish there was specific cargo types, that increase the capacity of specific items.
That would increase the colors.
except for those, the rest are recolors of regular cargo containers.

>@A wizard man Game bug, under certain conditions wheels rotate on their own

Disappointing desu, but the idea of mecha-PID briefly inspired me to make pic related.

It uses the tilt of a balloon to drive a pair of brakes through a reducing geartrain. Closer to bang-bang control than PID though.

That's fucking great though, how well does it work?

I'm sure anything that modifies the firing group to get a gun to fire anything other than semi auto without going through proper paperwork and all that is a goodbye to your dog.

We already solved the discussion. It was a loophole in the wording that allowed fire-on-release.

>Color coded by cargo type and in convenient crates
Oh man. I'd love to have these with, like, a big depot connected to a space elevator.

I'm actually not that sure.

Testing with a pinned balance rig suggests they don't have enough correcting force, plus the brakes have a huge dead zone where the copter is free to wobble about. Bringing the brakes closer risks CLANG. In practice, however, having a balloon on a long stick is really good for stability in itself, so the copter is stable as fuck.

Instead of brakes, I might try using pairs of opposing screws similar to what Algodoo user was doing. To generate a net thrust, he tilted them so that they faced the same direction.

>opposing screws

Fuck yeah, I had a feeling this would work.

It's so much simpler and more effective than the brakes, and it doesn't demand much torque from the balloon so I can actually use a speed-up gear.

seems like it'd work for mechanically-driven airships though, especially those with clutched or brakeable chaos engines.

>Loadout and AoS
>PvP-based

>Blacklight
>PERFECT WORLD
>PvP-based
>also PERFECT WORLD
>judaism running wild
>Did I say PERFECT WORLD?

>Guncraft
>minecrap modpack becomes a game
>Corneroids-ded

D-don't remind me about corneroids, dear user.
I still remember that modpack I was working on, hell I think I have the files around here somewhere...

daily reminder
no fun allowed
ever
it seems to be a universal rule

degg

>tfw looking for a publisher
>tfw all the advice I can find about talking to these fuckers is "short and sweet"
>"Mario kart as a 2d platformer" would describe SpeedRunners

How the good fuck do I describe REM in less than ten words?

"Robocraft without the jewery"

"World of tanks, BUT YOU CAN BUILD THE TANK"

"Freespace, BUT YOU CAN BUILD THE SHIP, and also have physically simulated structural physics, including the ability to bounce rounds as opposed to simply absorbing them into a health pool."

"Robocraft without voxel cubes and shitty laser guns?"

stem grenlegt

"you can build thing which actually works"

Typically, you should avoid using another game as comparison but unfortunately publishers don't get that. The last one you mentioned should be apt, how many ships and players can the game currently handle?

"Space arena with deep customization and simulated structural physics."

"MOBA with MOBA physics and MOBA MOBAs"

"Minecraft with guns"