/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Underrail edition

Last Thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy,Cookie Clicker, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indies, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

underrail
whenisthenextsteamsale.com/
madguy.itch.io/streets-of-rogue
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/
youtube.com/watch?v=FgoBFe8HB0Q
youtu.be/X_f73t7ySbI?t=40
youtube.com/watch?v=dtYwq4aBr0E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Threadly reminder Undertale is globalist propaganda

Nobody claimed these last thread, so if you take one (or the code doesn't work) please leave a reply.

Said duplicate so someone probably claimed it
rip

jesus one of you is a greedy fuck.

this desu
I hope it's not one person taking them all

yeah they were taken quickly, no thanks or anything

It's dangerous to theorycraft alone! Take this.

underrail DOT info DOT tm/

>Error: Our system thinks your post is spam. Please reformat and try again.
Wait, why does Veeky Forums hate that link?

Well I have it all worked out in my head for the most part, but appreciate the link

user you should really email these codes. someone is snatching all of them very quickly. that or a bot

They're all reposts, so it's more likely that a dick used the key in a previous thread and didn't say anything.

oh that probably explains it then

autumn sale next week?
whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

REEEEEEE I MUST REMIND THEM

>3 offensive skills
I meant melee/dodge/evasion
>130 hacking/lockpicking
I know but I only have 57 hacking and 45 lockpicking right now so I need the points to get them there
I don't think I'll have enough points at the end of it since I need so much in hacking/lock picking and crafting. No way I'll get 80 throwing unfortunately. Guess I should've done more math when I started playing but I was really into the game and wasn't paying too much attention to stat point distribution for late game.

>whenisthenextsteamsale.com/
gonna see if I can grab Creeper World and PONCHO

nice
I just got a refund for killing floor 2 so I've got 30 steambux. Was thinking of gifting underrail to a friend but he's not interested in it.
If it's on sale and you guys are looking for a good game look into Hard West. It's like xcom with cowboys at first, then transitions into(spoiler) demonic magic
20 dollars normally but goes on sale often I believe

probably. black friday and what not

Yeah, unfortunately dodge/evasion are huge skill point sinks.

bump

I think I should be fine if I just forget about throwing. Maybe pick up a cloaking device or something if I really need more stealth. Also should I just keep dumping into dex? I think I have 12 dex right now. Not sure if I should start getting agi above 10 or maybe some points into str or con.

Guys, I suck dick with Blue Baby in Binding of Isaac and I'm trying to beat Isaac on hard but I can barely get past mom.

I'm sick of resetting twenty times to get one item room and it having a shit item constantly.

Is there a way for me to make it so better items spawn more often, the spawn rate of item rooms in your first room be the same or higher as in normal mode, or at least give me something good to start with that won't disable achievements so I can still unlock things?

I like this game and want to keep playing but my fun is hardcore ruined when I can't get at least get one good item at the start.

I would just keep pumping DEX, maybe a point or two in CON if you feel you don't have enough HP.

That said DEX will save you more skill points. It governs your lockpicking and throwing, so if you keep pumping it you might be able to achieve that 80 throwing with very little skill point investment.

>Tyranny
>tranny
>Kyros is a tranny

Well those core city thugs killed me real quick but I think that's more to being low level and shitty shield emitter. I'll just keep pumping dex then. Save me lock picking points since I only need to get it to 120 with a mk3 lockpick.
I'd also be a lot stronger if I had proper leather gloves instead of these metal ones but that's going to have to wait till I get my tailoring up and find out where siphoners live.
Thanks for all the advice user, I know I ask a lot of questions. It's just been so long since I've "gotten into" a game as much as I have underrail. Can't wait to explore the lore/backstory more now that I finally made it to the main city.

madguy.itch.io/streets-of-rogue

Unofficial game of the thread. It's in beta right now, but there's a free demo out. It's even got co-op so you can play with your best buddy.

>Streets of Rogue is a rogue-lite about player choice, freedom, and anarchic fun. The game takes inspiration from fast-paced top-down rogue-lites like Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, and adds free-form, experimentation-driven, emergent gameplay elements of RPGs like Deus Ex.

>Rather than taking place in a dungeon, the game is set in a functioning, procedurally generated city, where complex AI informs denizens from all walks of life, who are just trying to get by in their daily activities.

I know everyone and their mother is probably sick of seeing the term rogue-lite, but give it a shot, it's pretty fun ableit barebones right now. Given some time to get fleshed out I think it will be pretty wonderful.

Forgot to post the gif that's on the site itself, in case you like to look at something to gauge interest for yourself. It's all there on the page, just think of this useless post as a friendly bump.

>It's just been so long since I've "gotten into" a game as much as I have underrail.
I know the feeling. I wish more games had similar good old game vibe.

Don't stop questioning and observing everything carefully. That's the correct mindset for piecing the backstory together. But no matter, even (and especially) if you miss lots of things, the second playthrough will feel very different after the revelations of the first.

>rogue-lite
what does that mean
WHAT DOES IT MEAN
ITS NOT LIKE ROGUE
ITS NOT ROGUE LITE

If I had to define roguelite, I would say it's a roguelike where accessibility is prioritized at the cost of gameplay depth.

Roguelike for invalids, if you will. But that doesn't mean they can't be fun to play.

Non-turnbased rogue-likes and non-rogue-likes with a few rogue-like concepts.

Dustforce best force.
If you want to have to git gud and you like platforms, play dustforce.

no please stop you're triggering me
game devs started naming their garbage "roguelikes" in the same vain people are comparing their games to dark souls now
take a ""hardcore"" game/genre, dumb it down and/or just slap a name on it "the dark souls of x" and boom you have casuals eating that shit up because omg roguelikes are so hardcore XD i cant read ascii but im such a gamer lol!
>it has permadeath? OMG ROGUELIKE SO HARD CORE
The genre is called roguelike because they're games LIKE rogue and there's a very specific definition of what is or isn't a roguelike
Rogue-lite doesn't mean anything it's just a marketing label.
>Non-turnbased rogue-likes
that shouldn't be allowed as a sentence

I admit, I tried constructing my post so it would trigger both roguelike and roguelite players.

But seriously, I don't care about genre elitism. Roguelike itself is vague term. You could say ascii graphics is one of the key values for roguelikes, but on the other hand I doubt anyone would argue stone soup isn't a roguelike despite being primarily tile-based.

>Roguelike itself is vague term
no it isn't
it means like rogue
the fuck is lite rogue
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
I've played plenty of good games labeled as "roguelite" or mislabeled as roguelike
I'm just saying it's a really stupid marketing label and I'm instantly wary of any game that misuses the terms just because of a single feature like perma death.

>it means like rogue
Exactly. Which is vague as fuck. How much like rogue does it have to be to be considered roguelike?

I already linked you your answer

I wonder if I missed any lore so far. The only really in depth thing I've learned is about why the depot is the way it is and a tiny bit about the faceless. Also a bit about the happenings with the protectorates. Everything else has just been fairly regular missions for Tanner. I'm assuming most of the lore/story is in the latter half of the game.

And what you said directly contradicts it. (It being only like rogue, not a genre in itself)

But it's not a bad definition, actually. Still vague though, it's just a sliding scale of roguelikeness.

pretty neat
roguelite is codeword for procedural generation, permadeath, and randomness. Its bullshit but then again 90% of RPGs arent RPGs but are games with 1 or 2 RPG elements, e.g. SoulsBorne

>"Roguelike" refers to a genre, not merely "like-Rogue". The genre is represented by its canon. The canon for Roguelikes is ADOM, Angband, Crawl, Nethack, and Rogue.
>This list can be used to determine how roguelike a game is. Missing some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise, possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike.
>The purpose of the definition is for the roguelike community to better understand what the community is studying. It is not to place constraints on developers or games.

>High value factors

Random environment generation:
The game world is randomly generated in a way that increases replayability. Appearance and placement of items is random. Appearance of monsters is fixed, their placement is random. Fixed content (plots or puzzles or vaults) removes randomness.
Permadeath:
You are not expected to win the game with your first character. You start over from the first level when you die. (It is possible to save games but the savefile is deleted upon loading.) The random environment makes this enjoyable rather than punishing.
Turn-based:
Each command corresponds to a single action/movement. The game is not sensitive to time, you can take your time to choose your action.
Grid-based:
The world is represented by a uniform grid of tiles. Monsters (and the player) take up one tile, regardless of size.
Non-modal:
Movement, battle and other actions take place in the same mode. Every action should be available at any point of the game. Violations to this are ADOM's overworld or Angband's and Crawl's shops.
Complexity:
The game has enough complexity to allow several solutions to common goals. This is obtained by providing enough item/monster and item/item interactions and is strongly connected to having just one mode.
Resource management:
You have to manage your limited resources (e.g. food, healing potions) and find uses for the resources you receive.

Hack'n'slash:
Even though there can be much more to the game, killing lots of monsters is a very important part of a roguelike. The game is player-vs-world: there are no monster/monster relations (like enmities, or diplomacy).

Exploration and discovery:
The game requires careful exploration of the dungeon levels and discovery of the usage of unidentified items. This has to be done anew every time the player starts a new game.

>Low value factors

Single player character:
The player controls a single character. The game is player-centric, the world is viewed through that one character and that character's death is the end of the game.

Monsters are similar to players:
Rules that apply to the player apply to monsters as well. They have inventories, equipment, use items, cast spells etc.

Tactical challenge:
You have to learn about the tactics before you can make any significant progress. This process repeats itself, i.e. early game knowledge is not enough to beat the late game. (Due to random environments and permanent death, roguelikes are challenging to new players.) The game's focus is on providing tactical challenges (as opposed to strategically working on the big picture, or solving puzzles).

ASCII display:
The traditional display for roguelikes is to represent the tiled world by ASCII characters.

Dungeons:
Roguelikes contain dungeons, such as levels composed of rooms and corridors.

Numbers:
The numbers used to describe the character (hit points, attributes etc.) are deliberately shown.

Also see:
roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/

I don't know how to put this to words without spoilers, but the world history is very well developed and there are layers upon layers of interconnected mysteries. Your character will not learn much of the deepest shit on this playthrough, but that stuff is largely irrelevant to the main story and current events.

I just love the way the game does its storytelling. You have to think and actively seek out the answers. I guess that's nothing special, but it just feels so fresh after god knows how many years of MMOs/RPGs with quest compasses and in-your-face exposition dumps in the rare cases there even is a story worth following.

Little hints are slowly trickled down to you, such as the Depot A thing, and those will eventually form a bigger picture. Sometimes finding and interpreting these hints takes a little bit of detective work and thinking; likewise it takes a keen eye and good reasoning to realize certain things as they're happening, but you'll learn about them later and the foreshadowing may seem obvious in hindsight.

If you're predisposed to solving problems optimally, you may even join certain hidden faction and that will certainly turn your life from clueless murderhobo to something more.

>he doesn't judge a genre by its worst entries
hahah get a load of this guy

What did he mean by this

>If you're predisposed to solving problems optimally, you may even join certain hidden faction and that will certainly turn your life from clueless murderhobo to something more.
Damn son now you got me worked up by your whole post but especially that last bit. I hope I can find that hidden faction. Also got an offer to join protectorate. Not sure if that affects the hidden faction but I'm leaning towards accepting

anticlimatic. the throne fight was stupidly easy with a Hyper Launcher. 7-1 and 7-2 were easier than 5-3.

Congrats beating it with what might be the easiest character He's the only one I beat it with...

It's a little more suspenseful with different skill loadouts / different characters.

Is it really worth reaching the nuclear throne

she

o deer

Is anyone else pissed off at Austin going full SJW on twitter lately? He's talking about how he hates being white and shit

Fuck, why did it have to be him

This is the perk of not having a twitter. At least LISA doesn't stop being any less of an amazing series. Austin can go fuck himself, I don't even care.

The perk of not having a twitter is... what? The news have been constantly reposted on this general.

>guy that regularly uses twitter
>omg this person said THAT???

>guy with no twitter obviously doesn't care about social media
>who said what now? who cares
Tell me user has your day been enriched by the news of this guy being an SJW? Because you sound more irritated than anything.

Well at least I don't have to waste valuable time awaiting vapid e-celeb drama.

No, my day hasn't been enriched by that. I don't use twitter either but that shit has been spammed here more than enough, so I was just wondering why you were pretending to be on some high horse.

>pretending
I don't pretend anything
I AM on a high horse you fucking filthy peasant
never talk to me or my high horse again

Yes, milord.

No, I dont really care or think about it but it's a shame because before I would dare I say he's /our guy/

I never understood these cult of personality things around gamedevs.

Why would anonymous care?

What are you anons listening to tonight?
youtube.com/watch?v=FgoBFe8HB0Q
>tfw the full aloe island adventures album got taken off of youtube

>Damn son now you got me worked up by your whole post but especially that last bit. I hope I can find that hidden faction.
Tip- work for Abram.

Joining Protectorate won't stop you from joining them.

Also, you can find siphoners in Core City sewers and in caves near Junkyard. Don't stealth, they jump out of the water when you get close.

>anticlimactic
Well. Fucking do it then. Loop.

story of your life audiobook, by ted chiang

This Atari demo thing.
youtu.be/X_f73t7ySbI?t=40

what a joker

I like little foxy games

The Undertale soundtrack (while I play Underrail)

youtube.com/watch?v=dtYwq4aBr0E

Why would you do that?

I've been playing Underrail for 50 hours and the soundtrack isn't fun anymore

I'm not sure if my character is joking or telling the truth in his mind. I'm a melee/unarmed only character but he probably says this regardless. Still found it funny.

sounds like Japanese elevator music desu

Why would you even play the game for that long, that's insane.

I don't think he means 50 hours straight. A run of underrail is around 100 hours.

Oh wait, I thought he said undertale since he was listening to the OST. Woops.

Bumping this question.

As much as I want combo/fancy footwork I think I'm finally going to have to give in and get dirty kick. CC seems to be too important especially against multiple enemies.

Rathound King is one of the harder fights, you did good.

Thanks, though I did sort of cheese him
>lay poisoned bear trap outside of door
>lay mine right next to bear trap
>get his attention so he chases after me
>close door so he doesn't see traps
>opens it up and rushes straight into bear trap
>mk2 frag in his face triggering the frag mine as well
>punch him a few times for the finale
Gotta love traps.

You could also get 3 hunters from Camp Hathor to help you.

I guess after talking with him you just run back to the camp and get the help? Didn't see the option while taking the quest.

>he thinks he's beaten the game
You're not even halfway done.

For one, there's another ending with a completely different final boss.

Yeah, you can get back after you find him and either ask them for help or send them alone.

>already 2 AM
Can't remember the last time I lost track of time playing a game.
Well I managed to finish some side quests today, even found some good quality siphoner leather. Maybe make something out of that next level when I dump 25 more points into tailoring.
Tomorrow we go hunt down Abram, Gorsky, and potentially some info on faceless. Also hope there's a god damn crossbow/laser pistol merchant in this city because I'm tired of not being able to sell this crap.

LISA, you mean that edgy garbage game? Yeah, "amazing" for sure.

Lisa is indeed by definition edgy, very much includes garbage and is quite amazing, yes.

damn seeing all this underrail makes me really wanna pick it up and play with everyone now. if only there was more time in the day. only have a few hours to play games and i spend them leveling in titanfall

It's a pretty good game.

>got my letter for feast of the winter star last night
>cant remember who my secret santa partner is
Fug