What are the benefits of FWD?

what are the benefits of FWD?

reverse donuts
sicker J-turns

nothing. absolutely nothing.

More "idiot-proof" driving characteristics
More cabin space (no transmission tunnel getting in the way)
Easier/faster/cheaper to manufacture (all drivetrain components can be assembled on a single subframe and dropped straight into the body)
Slightly better fuel economy (less drivetrain loss)

Perfect drivetrain layout for an A to B appliance-tier econobox.

Winter driving. All else equal.

pretty much this
that's why they are better in winter/mud than an rwd.

the clutch is a little closer to the clutch pedal compared to FR and RR
but the shift lever is a little further away
not that it matter with auto transmission

also no prop shaft like FR a benefit shared with RR

>All else equal

cuz its sick dude

Usually the body is dropped onto the drive train

>cuz its sick dude
this

Efficiency

braking turning and accelerating all on the same wheels means you save 50% on tire costs

but your front tires wear out twice as fast so overall it's the same

>What are the benefits of drinking bleach?
Veeky Forums is rid of one shitposter. You should do it OP.

hahaha

maccas trays ya dawg

Increased passenger volume when you don't need a rear diff, transmission tunnel, and drive shaft.

RR is better in every way for all the same benefits and more, though.

Another benefit is generally lower drivetrain losses, but that's not always true.
Look at the new ND Miata. It only has 7-12% drivetrain losses, apparently.

Safety.
Interior Space.

Miatas are shit
Reply to this if you agree

>180 kph top speed
is this a joke?

Yet its still lapped faster than the psuedo sports car. Not every track is straight you know

>fwdcucks posting memes and blatant shitposts because they have no argument

Its only idiot proof if not going fast. I

>posts proof
>cries meme
Wow damage control

Ignore what anyone else has said thus far because I am sure it's retarded. I am a mechanical engineer with more than 20 years in the automotive manufacturing industry.

In the context of affordable and general purpose cars, FWD configurations are cheaper to build and are more efficient than an identical RWD counterpart. I am sure I don't need to explain to you why transmitting the power down a long ass fucking pole to the rear of your car is less efficient than FWD.

With a proper driver and proper wheels, the difference is negligible but in a 1-1 scenario, the weight distribution of a FWD machine allows for better handling during inclement conditions such as rain or snow.

Other than that, not much difference. It's cheaper to make and offers more fuel efficiency and increased handling in rain/snow. So it's a perfect fit for non-performance oriented machines aka "econoboxes".

Cheaper in production

cheaper, and idiots wont wrap them around trees as easily

Acouple of great examples for FWD:

>Coworker being stupid and inconsiderate of the safety of others street racing on empty i-5. Don't be stupid.

I was in a GMS1 Cobalt SS turbo he was in a red 2005 stock GTO

Roads wet from off and on again rain. Going around a decending bend at 120mph wot. He's slowly creeping up. He hits a bridge transition/expansion joint that upset his traction at the rear with that much force put on tires between engine power and turn. Ass end kicks out and homeboy, I shit you not starts dorifto beyond the point I'd call safe; probably 15 degrees out swung.

In my FWD all I did was momentary understeer at transition & keep on trucking.

Barely reigns it in and almost clips my rear bumper while dong it.

>we both see lives flash before our eyes.

>Story 2: just commuting.

Fast forward 6 years later and different Homeboy coworker see each other heading in. On i-5 again, raining very hard. I am now I my 2015 2ltz impala and this guy is in a 2013 BMW 535i xdrive. He'said rolling 45mph because the standing water is that serious with his brand new michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ that he asked my recommendation for. I just got rid of oe rubber for said Tire given previous experience in Cobalt.

>I was rolling about 60 mph(& the only one at that).

>hombre decides to get in behind me in inner left lane of 4 and attempts to match & hold my speed.

>I see his headlights change position as his backend pendulums severbal times on this 3 mile straightaway before I round the corner and he disappears.

We get to work & at a smoke break he recounts how he just couldn't go above 45 with out the ass end trying to come out from around him.

>this is why we leave stability control on for the commute

>this is yet another reason why commuting FWD is the only way to go.

Rwd may surely have its advantages on the track but when push comes to shove, it's a shit idea for your daily driver, especially if you want to push it in inclement conditions

>idiots wont wrap them around trees as easily
see

>sperg in a GTO can't drive in the rain
>eurofag in a BMW he can't control can drive in the rain.

have you ever considered not driving with a bunch of retards that don't know how to drive in the rain?
I daily'd a RWD car rain or shine for one summer. Never had a problem with it being RWD. I even rode my motorcycle in the rain plenty without ever losing traction because I'm not a dumbass.

Nice job ignoring RR.

another glorious feature the ST has
I've been told my ST has 3 wheeled at autocross

>Idiot proof
Try going fast in the rain sometime

>lol understeer is so easy to correct!
Yeah, correct it after you run into a wall. With oversteer you still have a moment to ensure you stay in your line. Understeer = you go off track, period, end of story. FWD = pushing it requires knowing and dancing around the car's limits with no room for error.

RR is the default layout for wannabe dagumis

>DEJA VU
>I'VE BRAKED IN THIS CURVE BEFORE
>GOING OFF A CLIFF
>WOW MAN IT SUCKS TO BE ME
>WOAH WOAAAAH

It seems you missed what apparently was nuance but what I thought was very plainly illustrated.

The guy in the GTO was and is a very skilled driver. Killed in the midget circuit locally and regularly does well each season in autocross. His skill given the conditions is why he made it.

>cheap
>can't spin out (if you're a retarded "normie")
>light

that's pretty much it

It doesn't matter if a car has FWD or RWD unless you need the cabin room (doubtful) or are snapping axles (doubtful).

Any car can be tuned for over/understeer

dominating 2WD rallying

Well not everyone has a weaboo masters degree in initial d fag

That's not a FWD car.

Hi

being cheap so poorfags & eurocucks can afford it

other than that, fwd is useless for literally everything else

Nice thread Corey

wew

All you are doing is proving that fwd can compete. Look at the nurburg

Lol

Pretty much everything.

Sure, if you take away the accelerator pedal. Nobody argues that you can't make them turn in the same, the reason RWD is better for under/oversteer characteristics is you can manipulate the available traction of the rear tires with your right foot.

So FWD requires total focus and a lot of skill, while RWD is for babbies

This isn't even correct, just get on the brakes to transfer weight to the front and you'll stop understeering.

Sure, when you don't have enough traction on the front wheels just hit the brakes, that will do the trick, surely moving weight forwards and stopping a heavy vehicle won't use any more of your available traction. Do they not teach physics in school anymore? What did they replace it with?

Admittedly I was assuming he was referring to on-throttle understeer, what FWD is most famous for.

It's a DS3 R3T, used in the Junior WRC (WRC3). Go ahead and read up on it. It's FWD.

You're a moron

Kys

>fwd can compete
>with a car 15 years older
come on now, try comparing the FK2 to the F80 M3 or the M4

I dunno but just look at the miata. Its FWD and it handles pretty good.

more stability is its primary benefit over RWD

it doesn't suffer from fishtailing or oversteer. Its also better in the winter because of these two reasons

>it doesn't suffer from fishtailing or oversteer.

Not true. Your average consumer FWD cars don't suffer from it because they're set up to understeer as much as possible. One of the most tailhappy cars ever sold was the 205 GTi, nicknamed "the coffin" because unsuspecting drivers had a habbit of being caught out by lift-off oversteer and crashing.

thats one shit designed car though with no weight on its rear wheels that cuased that fishtailing

WTCC has no problem with FWD

[citation needed]

Pros:
*good wet/snow/gravel performance vs. RWD
*simplicity of drive train
*longitudinal engine layout = more engine bay space

Cons:
*torque steer
*violations of the circle of grip, leading to understeer
* lack of rear axle effects
-exceptions: delta links

You don't know what you're talking about. FWD fucking suck in winter/rain rds.

Benefits?

Other than average stuff like cheaper, sometimes lighter, easier to produce, and higher amount of cabin space.

They are MUCH more controllable. You can do e-brake short U turns and not oversteer nor understeer like with a RWD. They are better to pull very thight maneuvers

Most of the people that say FWD are inferior for sports driving are retarded. RWD are harder to drive perfectly and FWD are used mostly as casual normie shitboxes so people like to hate on FWD

There are none

t. busrider

>projecting
Lol

In an era of ubiquitous nanny controls where's my RR revival?

FWD is redpill of cars. once you grow up from RWD and go through expensive and hard to maintain AWD you end up with FWD.

This

It can help you keep your virginity safe from those pesky heathens

This makes civics look bad, a car from early 2000's can beat a sports car made in 2016.

Bump

>not everyone has a weaboo masters degree in initial d fag

This

I love how you come on this board and rek these people who have no idea what theyre talking about.

I fear the day you get tired of this place and leave

You can drive with half the car missing.

You usually put your former front tires rear if they show a certain level of wear.

If we're talking interior space and practicality, RR can't be better than fwd. Imagine an RR wagon or van.

He's still a retard for trying to go that fast in the rain, period. If it's raining, especially heavy, you don't try and gofast.

Lol

better in snow than RWD not four though. Since the engine sits on top of the drive wheels it forces the tires through the snow. On a RWD vehicle there isn't as much weight and accelerating on snow can cause the ass end of the vehicle to push sideways.

You can power out of turns earlier.

clearly the car is stuck in the ground, not wrapped around a tree

So get a 911?

good skids
good traction since you cannot drift worth shit

i drive rwd and fwd and this board over rates it so much. There is literally not a big difference

>There is literally not a big difference

If all you do is drive on public roads responsibly then yes, absolutely no difference.

If you have any interest in driving a car fast they are worlds apart.

OK!

You see the tree as you hit it.

Here's your reply

>a characteristic that still makes the 205 gti one of the best handling cars is a shit design

Quoting a 3 day post just to say now I've seen it all from Veeky Forums

RR is absolutely fucked in a crash mate
> pic sort of related

Also this pic for a kek

>80 year old cars are fucked in a crash

Why even post?

lmaooooo