Accidentally knock shifter from 4th to neutral

>accidentally knock shifter from 4th to neutral
>panic
>rev match and move the shifter to third out of habit, while forgetting to clutch like a sperg
>it actually fucking slides into third perfectly and smoothly

I tried doing it again from 6->5->4->3->2->1, and it worked every time. It also worked for upshifts.

What's going on, Veeky Forums? I know all about revmatching and whatnot, but since when could you upshift (with the exception of neutral -> 1st gear) and downshift WITHOUT the clutch AND it be smooth?

gittin gud usually does that

Congrats. You learned how to shift like a truck driver. We do it every day. The clutch is only used to stop, or start from a stop.

Why the fuck would you panic when accidentally shifting into neutral?

This is not the time to fear, that comes later when you do a hard pull and accidentally shift from 4th into 1st.

It's actually pretty fun.
Is there any downsides to shifting like this regularly on a small car?
I drive a ND

I did the whole clutchless shifting thing for a while in my 4cyl shitbox, i think it's the reason my 5th gear synchro is fucked

You have to be spot on to avoid wear.

If you don't fucking know what you're doing, you'll fuck up things in the long run.
If you're good, you might do no damage but I think it would be far fetched to say you'd get some extra life out of your clutch.

>Is there any downsides to shifting like this regularly on a small car?
Depends on how good at it you actually are

It was on a steep, empty decline.
I knocked the shifter out of gear getting a water bottle from my friend in the passenger with my arm.
It was really dumb on my part

I did this on my motorbike once. Apparently most bikes are designed to upshift without the clutch and no one told me.

Just make him swallow next time instead of spitting into a water bottle, jeez

either you really know your transmission or your clutch is so fucking worn its done.

hope you have a few extra $$$

I guess I know my transmission really well then.
Unless I've somehow managed to fuck up my clutch with only 4,000 miles on the car...

Sequential transmissions are able to clutchless shift, its just the nature of its design

If you're not within 50rpm or so, you'll be changing on the synchros.

Don't do it unless you're gud

Is there anything I should watch out for though? I usually don't use the clutch uoshifting but I always do it when I downshift.

from a googleweb search of how long a clutch will last.
"I have seen people that just can't drive ruin a clutch in 200 miles. And I have seen cars with 200,000 miles that had the original clutch, but they were driven mainly on the highway."

clutch-less shifting is not a sign you are a good driver, also as pointed out, you could be frying your synchros witch will cost you even more money come repair day.

you're good mate
just a quick chop of the throttle with gentle preload pressure while shifting and it's good

Congrats, you can float gears now. I do it in my 85 f250 cause it means less wear on the firewall

You can clutch less downshift too, just gotta cut the throttle and downshift all very close together

>I drive a ND
>getting fear from shifting to neutral
Gay drivers everyone

>The clutch is only used to stop, or start from a stop.

Also works on motorcycles and racecars.

>2016
>still making homophobic jokes

You are either carless 12yo or you live in some flyover state.

>current year
Ctr detected. Shut up homo, dont you have black gay convention to attend to?

You just pre-load the shifter, be in 2nd gear or higher and when you release the throttle it goes in like butter.

You can clutchless downshift too but I wouldn't recommend it because if you don't get your rev match just right you're putting extra stress on the transmission.

Enjoy burning your clutch

>yfw you can't really "burn the clutch" on a bike

bait

pol autism

Stop doing this if your car doesn't have a dogbox. Any imperfect rev-matching is just putting massive amounts of wear on your synchros.

If your car has synchros, shift with the clutch. Only on an unsynchronized transmission/dogbox should you be shifting without the clutch.

SUBTLE/10

>Degenerate

Go get aids, ruin children and cheapen heterosexual male friendship and bonding simewhere else.

That's how manuals are ment to be driven, there's a real little sweet spot in the RPM's that you don't clutch and you shift. Some call it highway shifting. Mainly
People with like 12+ speeds do it.

since always

i don't shift into gears without the clutch because i don't trust that i'm that good, but i pull out of gears without the clutch a lot

No, you mong, they CAN be driven that way, but it's not how they were MEANT to be driven. If they were meant to be driven that way, they wouldnt have included a clutch for you to use in the first place.

What is /tv/ doing here?

pls don't misuse my meme like that

why is there no parking gear?

Every gear is park, except for R which is for racing.

Use the clutch if you want your synchros to last.

Floating gears is hard on your synchros. I wouldn't suggest doing it often. Also, blipping the throttle shouldn't work for upshits because your RPM needs to drop to match the new gear, not rise.

Dogboxes should be clutched for downshifts but it's not required for upshifts. You just need to let off the throttle on upshifts to unload the dog rings.

>accidentally press brake instead of clutch
>put it in reverse
>grinds.

>80 dollar clutch disk or 1000 dollar transmission
>ill take the transmission

;- ) you are a wild one friendo

>Accidentally learn to clutchless shift on a motorcycle
>get a new bike, more touring-y, less track-y
>has taller gearing for highway cruising
>go to shift 2-3
>Neutral
>VRRRRRMgruunnnnkRRRrrrrm