/brg/ Battlerite general

Where is muh BLC 2.0 edition

>What is Battlerite?
Battlerite is spiritual successor of BLC - a PvP skillshot-based team arena game, similar to WoW Arena. It is made as the successor to Bloodline Champions, and is currently in Early Access. Release date slated at early 2017.

>INFORMATION
Store Page: store.steampowered.com/app/504370
Official News: steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/
Official Wiki: battlerite.gamepedia.com/Battlerite_Wiki
Statistics: masterbattlerite.com/

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the feeling of poloma

Reminder
>soon

we actually hit bump limit

it only took an excessive amount of shitposts, but we did it

thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE

the only reason we hit the bump limit was because of Daniel's video stirring up a shitstorm

Considering how much whining about reddit and the casual playerbase not caring, I'd say it was exactly what we were asking for

just be glad that this game isn't developed by pic related

Hi Daniel

2k online rite now
ded fkin game

Damn Daniel.

>3v3 is turned off by default

What, why?

They initially wanted to focus on 2v2 because they're retarded. People yelled at them for being retarded. Now they refuse to commit to a mode because they're retarded.

the game would be alive and balanced if it were?

they're swedes, and therefore lack backbones. If a developer truly loves their game and is willing to work hard on it, at a certain point they can understand that not all feedback is useful. Unfortunately, SLS put out something that would make them a lot of money (400,000 sales + cosmetic bullshit) but the game itself isn't super high quality.

From the beginning, they should have recognized certain champions have very flawed design, and they should have stuck with BLC instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. BLC had a shitty publisher and had just very bad timing, and now they've been given a second chance. A lot of people bought into the hype and purchased the game, but they got rid of what made the first game really, really fun.

To define """Fun""", I would say it's feeling in control at all times, and it feels like you have options. Your decisions have impact. For every game that I've found "fun", these thing have been consistent, player agency.

The problem with battlerite is that some of the champions have kits that you don't feel too in control when playing against, or you have a lack of options when you play as them. Sirius and bakko are going to get the same rites every time, so your options are meh.

Playing against Pearl is just annoying. She's balanced, but her kit is simply annoying because you feel like your control over the situation is limited and passive

>valve
>doing anything meaningful for their game

>implying they have to for it to have at minimum 10k+ players

oh wait i'm not memeing correctly
le steambux
le hats xD
le not a developer

are you sure you played blc because almost everyone in blc was really annoying to fight and if they weren't they sucked

Sounds smart.

>it takes years for them to fix bugs
>it takes years for them to add content
I would just stick with SLS till the end
at least they have passion for their game

>he wasn't there during dota 2 beta
sad

>DotA 2
i played original DotA for a long time and hate what they done to the game.

What I miss is the old WC3 maps, too bad the only thing people wanted was dota.

>maps
it was like never ending fun

SLS should take inspiration from what fucking works in their game to fix the garbage parts. Take firewall, for example.

It costs a bar of energy, and blocks all projectiles. Going through it only applies ignite. You can move to the left of it by walking, right, backwards, or even forwards through it. There is so much nuance and subtlety to playing against the firewall of what's the right move. You might even try to stay in the same place and try to not take too much damage. Maybe you were going to dodge a sniper anyway, so the firewall is useless to the ashka.

You could use mobility to go over the wall and attack ashka, or to the sides, or back up. The correct move is not incredibly obvious, and playing around the wall takes skill and ingenuity for both the ashka and the other player. both of them feel in control of the situation, and have multiple options. The best option takes skill to recognize. Such a simple spell for ashka, but it has so much depth and opportunities to outplay the other player. Maybe when you jump over it, ashka molten fists you back through it. There are dozens upon dozens of scenarios for how people play around this one ability, and makes the game feel fresh and fun. This is what SLS should aim to make their other abilities like.

And this is why Bakko's E feels horrible. You have to avoid being near walls, so that locks off large portions of the map already, simply because Bakko possesses the ability to Shield Dash you. And then, you have to read into the Bakko's mind to know when he's going to use his E, which he can hold as a threat over you as long as he wants. If you blink first and use your mobility to get out, he still has his E, which you don't have time to react to. It simply happens too fast. It's so rewarding for little effort, and it suffocates the enemy player and has massive map control elements to it. It doesn't have a fourth of the depth firewall has, yet it's extremely powerful. Boring, restrictive, and powerful.

I found Bakko pretty boring to play desu
and i played 500+ games on him
was Vanguard better?

hi again daniel

alright big boy, what do you suppose they fix about bakko then?

I do remember having more fun with the vanguard that with Bakko, his EX abilities where better and he was the only one who had a ranged taunt.

what's "taunt"?

ranged attack with no AOE which did no damage that made the enemy caracter walk towards you while using M1 attacks.

i don't see how that will work in BR since attacks slowing the movespeed

The question was not if it would work in BR, it was a question about fun.

Also, the ability could be changed to fit into BR anyway.

i would like to have an option when picking BRites for Bakko, that's all

>20% move speed increase
>attacks no longer slow down movement
>50% extra cooldown time for M1's
>50% extra damage on M1's

thoughts?

Depends on the CC time, if its a long time (+1 seconds) I would remove the 20% move speed increase or break it if enough damage has been made.

hi daniel

Who the fuck cares if it's daniel? They are right.

making those changes would completely ruin the current game and you'd need to spend months making reactive balance tweaks just to sort of have a game again

firstly, the game's balance is already trash. I'm not sure what we'd be losing

secondly, it would be based off BLC, a game with gameplay good enough to warrant a sequel. Nobody would be asking for a sequel if the gameplay was trash

Rather than constantly pushing for half-baked changes you don't understand the implications of you should spend your time trying to get people to go back to BLC.

We understand the implications of them; a game that is better than or at least as good as BLC.

please kill yourself league shitter
so many fucking asshats from other mobas trying to get their own game's mechanics in battlerite instead of making battlerite what it's supposed to be, BLC without the stupid bullshit

People wanted another BLC because hey, it was FUN. The tournament system was FUN. The problem was the publisher fucked the game over and it didn't succeed. We now have the opportunity to make BLC the best it could possibly be, and instead we've been infested by league shitters such as yourself trying to make the game bland and boring like your game.

So push for SLS to rerelease BLC. They have the rights to it and can strip the funcom extras from the game.

Did you ever think that this game isn't a 1:1 copy of BLC because the devs didn't want to remake BLC?

>Did you ever think that this game isn't a 1:1 copy of BLC because the devs didn't want to remake BLC?

They did want to remake BLC, but wanted to avoid what made BLC fail. Good intentions, but they made incorrect assumptions as to why BLC failed and based on those incorrect assumptions decided to dumb down the game. The result was a product that was similar to the original but almost entirely missing the mechanical aspect of the gameplay. Those of us who can see that are trying to get them to correct course and make the game we all care about flourish. In its current state it will die faster than BLC did.

The mechanics in blc just made the skill floor slightly higher. The difference in the skill ceiling has nothing to do with what you think it does, and you don't see the ways this game is more complex because you're so focused on things that don't matter.

Ok, tell me why you think the mechanics in BLC don't make the skill ceiling higher nor provide deeper gameplay at the top levels?

How is Battlerite more complex?

the devs made a mistake in identifying what made the game fail and what made the game fun. They labelled the good part as the reason it died, when in actuality it was the part that made people want a second BLC.

you wouldnt know this because youre from league

The decisionmaking was the complex part of blc and where all of the depth was. A lot of that complexity was removed with ability sets being remade and similar characters getting similar abilities, but the decision to shift the game away from healing and mobility opens up far more depth in terms of teamplay strategy. Focusing on really minor things like M1 trading is missing the forest for the trees.

anyone that agrees with this is fucking retarded

because you can't immediately see how game-breaking ashka would be

Yes I agree that the most complex part of BLC was the decision making, and I'll even agree that -most- of the depth was. And yes, a lot of that complexity was removed with them homogenizing the ability sets. Without the mobility and m1 trading aspect of the game however, it ultimately boils down to nothing more than executing the appropriate flowchart for the current matchup. Mobility provided a way to continue the mind games with your opponents even if you messed up your flowchart execution. That layer of gameplay is totally missing in BR right now. But yes you are correct in that it's just one of many aspects of the game that need correction.

>because you can't immediately see how game-breaking ashka would be

Well when the ported Ashka from BLC to BR, they gave him things that plugged up all the holes in his kit and made him virtually unpunishable. They would need to get rid of his firewall, his healing, and the shield after his space in order for there to be an actual window during which to punish him. His current iteration is a side effect of their decision to take the focus away from healing; they overcompensated everyone by giving them too many iframes/escapes/forms of self healing.

What is more cancer, oldur+jumong or RK+lucie?
Let's find out

>would completely ruin the current game
There is anything to ruin?

t. every single g14+ player and tournament winner being invested in this game.

"Flowchart" is only a thing in 2v2 where most of the time engagements are clean 1v1s with occasional interruption by the other player. 2v2 was terrible in BLC also and not much different, there's only so much you can do mechanically with a game like this and mechanics do way more to raise the skill floor than the skill ceiling.

With less focus on mobility the game becomes more about coordinating with your team to bait and punish people who misuse their cooldowns, the whiff-punishing aspect that you want is still there but it's done via bait and switch with your teammates. It's also far more valuable to pull off smaller tactical plays like separating a healer because healing can't even come close to compensating for damage from two sources and it's harder for them to get back into a good position.

>they would need to get rid of X, and Y, and..

exactly. which is why it's a retarded "balance" decision to do something like that on it's own, because as said you're just gonna break the game even harder if nothing else is massively changed alongside it.

and if your idea of making balance changes is "well it's already awful now so let's do whatever we feel like" then thank god you don't make decisions for any game ever. ideally you wouldn't be able to make any decisions irl either that impact anyone but yourself

The flowchart shit is still a thing in 3's, though not as pronounced. BLC was more about coordinating with your team because you had to account for the fact that your opponent could actually dodge the shit you're doing to them when you try to punish their mistake. Pretty sure we'll have to agree to disagree on this one though.

>exactly. which is why it's a retarded "balance" decision to do something like that on it's own

I agree. It would be a massive undertaking to realign the game with BLC-esque mechanics. It's an undertaking they should consider though because the empirical evidence shows that people aren't sticking with the game and every day we see fewer of the top players actually playing.

Whether you agree with Daniel and his methods or not, it's obvious that he cares about the game and wants it to succeed. Can't fault him for pointing out what he and many of us think is wrong with the game.

>"well it's already awful now so let's do whatever we feel like"

It wasn't me who posted that.

BLC had 200k players in its open beta and this has 400k early access sales already though, and I know people are freaking out about numbers but I would bet money even early BLC wasn't much higher than 3k average concurrent

I would wait for free to play at least to scope numbers then before you start talking about major game overhauls

it's going to be too late by then, that's why everyone saying "it's just EA! of course there will be issues!" are short-sighted.

if the people who actually PAID to play the game aren't sticking around (they aren't, check daily concurrent player counts) then why would any F2Ps with even less investment in the game? and worse still once those people leave, they're never coming back. there's no update or character or balance change that will bring them back once they have decided to invest their time in a different game. the same already goes for most EA players who have left.

there has to be a major change in the gameplay now before F2P release, lest it's a total disaster and player retention is at a minimum until SLS stop production.

The thing is, the BLC population was relatively steady until they released the traits/medallions patch. Only then did the numbers start dropping off. Even then, the top players stuck with that game for years. In BR we had many of the top players leaving after only a month. Additionally, BLC was not initially released on Steam, its only advertising was word of mouth and blurbs here and there on WoW Arena news sites. 200k under those conditions is actually pretty damn impressive.

Free to play release will boost the numbers quite a bit, but if the player retention rate is abysmally low, then we'll be back in the same situation we are now in a matter of months.

I think people underestimate how niche a game like this is and don't realize how few people are going to want to play a lot of it

To me the most apt comparison is fighting games, other than being 1v1 games they're extremely similar in many ways, and even the most popular PC fighting games have never had the concurrent player counts that Battlerite does despite selling far more copies

I really don't think there's anything you could change about Battlerite to make it more popular in general among people who weren't already going to play it a lot because they played BLC

>a PvP skillshot-based
just call if fucking aiming

>skillshot
It's a MOBA term, since most shit in those is auto aimed, they call anything you actually have to aim a "skillshot"

mobas not a real genre either fuck u and your culture of made up words that dont mean anything

thread needs more pictures

Hey I fucking hate the genre too. I think it's shit and I think it's ruined gaming by catering to retards with no skill by hiding the fact that they are trash behind 45minutes of PvE and "character building".

Pearl is best slut.

She's like 8, user

If you guys don't want a flowchart gameplay then go play 3v3

It's still flowchart gameplay, just has a couple more branches in the chart.

quads speak the truth
i'm Qing in 3s exclusively for a few weeks now, since it will be my main mode for ranked after patch

I was making a map for WC3 last month. It was going to be a hero defense.
I'm too lazy to finish it.

3v3 has at least 1000 more branches than 2v2

>one of her battlerites is called soaking wet
She's still a slut, user.

The flowchart bit has nothing to do with the mode but the abilities that are available to you.

It has everything to do with the mode
In 2v2 fighting plays out as 2 1v1 fights with occasional crossfire or target swaps
You know everything everyone will do and just have to respond correctly

In 3v3 anytime you target anyone up to 2 other people could join or leave the engagement at any time depending on where everyone is standing or what both teams are doing, and so responding correctly and using your abilities at the right times is way more variable and complex, if you waste an ability then there are 2 other people to follow up on you and you can't just follow a skill rotation

>Pearls unstable bubble

When and why would I use this?

unstable on orb then m1 m1 asap and it's basically guaranteed

it also is a bigger deterrent for people who are determined to be touching you constantly than regular bubble, you could set up combos w/ it sometimes

You can combo her ult into it should you manage to get 25 energy between casting your ult and spitting people out of it

That would be pretty good, but chances are, it's not going to happen.

>unstable on orb then m1 m1
Yeah, that's really the only way I can use it, I've tried using it offensively but it's useless in that way.

the biggest use of bubble is to separate a melee from you or a teammate, unstable is the same thing but does dmg

It can work in conjunction with Ezmo's root

>Every time I play with Varesh I get talked shit because I suck at him
sure feels nice having no mobility.

god it really is over. SLS only listening to reddit, and now they've decided on rules which remove posts that include "Feedback that does not add anything constructive or create discussion" and "No aggressive or offensive material". great, how fucking vague and up to moderator/developer discretion is that? and on top of that all the fucking hugbox shitters saying the game is great as is, or "IT'S AN EARLY ACCESS GAME OF COURSE PLAYERS WILL LEAVE / OF COURSE IT'S NOT COMPLETE XDD." ignoring that most players never return to EA games once they leave, and that the game is functionally complete as is

hi daniel

>reddit kills yet another game with their echo chamber hugbox mentality

news at 11

Don't worry user, I'm here for you.
Let it all out.

Tell me user, what are you planning to play when this is ogre?

This. Is there still a decent map-making community for Frozen Throne? I'd come home from school literally every fucking day on hop right on for hours.

I was playing WC3 last month and boy I was surprised to see that YouTD was updated like in September 2015 or something. Then there's ORPGs like Gaia that's still being updated, as well.

Hiveworkshop also has plenty of recently made/updated maps. I'd assume that's the best map-making community.

I still play WC with friends from time to time.
Not as many people playing it now, but still plenty.

Also like Said, Hiveworkshop is still active and there are tons of maps in epicwar too, you have to dig the good ones from a pile of shit though.

Damn. Probably gonna re-install after I get "burnt-out" as all the kids say nowadays.

Is their still a spam of Footmen Frenzy despite that game being literally braindead.

I just looked at the list and I saw like 3 different Footman Wars and a bunch of different TDs and DotA.

99% of hosted games are through whatever the bot hosting program is for WC3 because players from any server can see games hosted by those in the custom game list.

You can try through Gameranger/Garena, maybe there you will have more luck.

>queue up solo
>only go up against high end streamer with his duo repeatedly
>get tired of it, stop queueing, pull up his stream
>he literally sits in queue for 10+ minutes

one person not queueing breaks matchmaking, jesus christ

That's what happens when a game is dead as fuck thanks to reddit hugboxing

Why are you even still playing

>Why are you even still playing

masochism mostly