Go or No: SL500

I am wondering if i should buy this now or wait. Aren't convertables cheaper in the winter. Also R8 the R129 Sl500 (and 300)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u7K0rL7K518
amazon.com/Autolite-APP5224-Double-Platinum-Spark/dp/B000CIJNBM
amazon.com/Bosch-F8DC4-Original-Equipment-Replacement/dp/B000IUV2GS
ebay.com/itm/New-Spark-Plug-Wires-Set-of-8-Mercedes-SL-Class-E-S-Mercedes-Benz-S500-SL500-/311636989674?fits=Make:Mercedes-Benz|Model:SL500&hash=item488f0316ea:g:P~0AAOSwZVlXru5t&vxp=mtr
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

R129 is goat, too bad the wiring harness likes to dissolve

Get a 600 or you're a pussy

1992 to 1995 models are the ones affected by the bio-harness

They're well built cars, but expensive to keep

thats why i said sl500 not 500sl

My mind is telling me nooooo (because repair cost)
But my body.....my body is telling me yeaaaaahhh (because it makes me erect)

Its a daily driver so i need muh mpg's. the 500 is literally 1 mpg worse than the 320 or 300

i hear the repairs are as easy as murican stuff if you do it yourself

I was searching far and wide for an R129 a month ago. Couldnt find one that wasn't torn to shit or a bad year with a crumbling harness.

Beautiful car, Very "Initial D" looking. Like a late model C4 corvette and an R32 mixed together.

I read enough to learn that its not safe enough to go by "1992-1996" were the problem years because I've read so many different opinions. I finally read a site about mercedes that listed literally hundreds of reports of 90's mercedes catastrophically failing due to electrical issues.

Want one, but am too afraid.

>Initial D
wut

These cars have:

An oil cooler that's in the cylinder vee that leaks and requires you to remove the heads to replace.

Tons of tubing underneath the intake that cracks.

Two gigantic coils each the length of the engine and 24 spark plugs.

You've been warned.

Dont say that you expect me to assume that everyone here will know the difference, and that they're using both "SL500" and "500SL" to refer to all R129s of all years?

I could go for an SL73 myself

out of the few made i am lucky to see one in person. Some foreman for some new houses on my block

>7l engine
>in europe

that was so fucking obscene.

completely unthinkable now and will also never ever return.

I've seen and ridden in a SL60, thats the biggest of those I've tried. Never seen anything bigger in person

Very same engine Pagani has been using for the longest time

youtube.com/watch?v=u7K0rL7K518

98 SL500 for sale in my town

tell me why not to go for it

because you don't have the finances to sustain it.

it's just that simple.

What are you talking about faggot? You just sayin " u aint got da muneee..." doesn't mean anything. I read about people spending a few thousand a year on the V12 models going to dealerships for work.

If you can afford two then buy one.

Because I answered the reasons.

If you have running problems, you'll need to buy 24 double plat spark plugs. You'll need to spend a couple hundred... on spark plugs.

If you get a major oil leak, you'll need to do cylinder heads.

They have four exhaust manifolds, and the nuts isn't captured, so you have to have someone be on top of the vehicle while it's in the air holding it in place while someone else catches the bolt through from below.

These're common issues. I'd know, I've repaired them.

You ready to spend like $3k -$5k on a car to fix an oil leak?

If you are, then sure, buy one.

amazon.com/Autolite-APP5224-Double-Platinum-Spark/dp/B000CIJNBM

wow s o ex pensive...

I'm not paying anyone 5 grand to unbolt some cylinder heads you fucking fruit

The SL500 is the v8 not the v12

what about the sl320 mr.tripfag

he's a fucking retard and a liar tripfag

amazon.com/Bosch-F8DC4-Original-Equipment-Replacement/dp/B000IUV2GS

ebay.com/itm/New-Spark-Plug-Wires-Set-of-8-Mercedes-SL-Class-E-S-Mercedes-Benz-S500-SL500-/311636989674?fits=Make:Mercedes-Benz|Model:SL500&hash=item488f0316ea:g:P~0AAOSwZVlXru5t&vxp=mtr

doing plugs AND wires literally not anymore expensive than a regular shitbox

It's really not that bad any more imo, but with any car at that age random uncommon stuff can always go wrong

Seals and gaskets especially. Anything rubber is bound to fail.

yeah, i know. Thats why you are in this thread user