Are there any examples of warriors/kings/princes renouncing all they have and becoming monks/ascetics/holy men in a...

Are there any examples of warriors/kings/princes renouncing all they have and becoming monks/ascetics/holy men in a Christian/European context similar to the Buddha or the several Jain Tirtankaras?

Plenty of nobles have been shamed and forced to take up priesthood.

IIRC one of Charlemagne's brothers (I think?) did this. It was a Frank for sure.

Obviously there's suspicion that he was coerced.

Tolstoy

No, because it's bullshit.

Ahsoka. But he just went full SJW as a king.

Asoka went full "my God what have I done?" when he saw the devastation of his final conquest

He renounced violence and became a buddhist, later a jain

Saint Francis of Assisi

Many of the carolingians rulers, when a coup d'état happened.

Charles V of Spain, The Holy Roman Emperor

He abducted and gave Spain and its possessions to his son and Holy Roman Empire to his brother. He lived rest of life in a monastery and died there.

He just wanted a peaceful life and a peaceful Europe.

St. Francis.

Siddhartha :^)

Saint Louis
Merovingian kings and princes were sent to monastery when they were overthrowed.
Most of the King of the Jerusalem Kingdom.

Kropotkin.

Top Lel

Yeah his brother Carloman (?) decided to become an ascetic instead of ruling jointly with Charles. Or so I've read in the Einhard vita.

You guys are confusing Carloman, the younger brother of Charlemagne with Carloman, the elder brother of Pipin the Brief. The one who became monk was Carloman, the brother of Pipin (and thus uncle of both Carlemagne and the younger Carloman).

>On 15 August 747, Carloman renounced his position as majordomo and withdrew to a monastic life, being tonsured in Rome by Pope Zachary. All sources from the period indicate that Carloman's renunciation of the world was volitional, although some have speculated that he went to Rome for other, unspecified reasons and was "encouraged" to remain in Rome by the pope, acting on a request from Pepin to keep Carloman in Italy.[5]

The younger Carloman died while still being king. Charlemagne invaded his former lands shortly after and removed Carloman´s widow and heirs from the History.
>Carloman died on 4 December 771, at the Villa of Samoussy; the death, sudden and convenient though it was, was set down to natural causes (a severe nosebleed is sometimes claimed as being at fault).[9][10] At the time of his death, he and his brother Charlemagne were close to outright war, which Charlemagne's biographer Einhard attributes to the miscounsel of Carloman's advisors.[9] Carloman was buried in Reims, but he was reburied in the Basilique Saint-Denis in the 13th century.

My mistake.

Maybe on topic

>9th century
>Boris of Bulgaria
>christianize the country
>later on retire and become a monk
>your son tries to get the pagan ways back
>defeat him and blind him as punishment
>make another son the ruler
>go back to being a monk

>defeat him and blind him as punishment

Seriously? Yeah, Christianity totally didn't spread by the sword at all.

Dont worry, most people doesnt even know about any Carloman

Well, it's kinda assumed that his son wanted to bring back paganism, I think the only source is some Byzantine remark how he had drunken orgies and the regular "he's a bad person" stuff. He had other things going on, but yeah, he was blinded. Very monk-like.

KEKED
U
C
K
E
D

That was Bulghar on Bulghar violence right there, all the Byzantines did was convert some, the rest was on the Bulghars.

Prestor John became a priest in Ethiopia after realizing the crusades were just to line the pockets of the Pope and nobility

>Bulghar
That's some autism right there

Barlaam and Josaphat

In medieval Serbia, the crown prince and heir to the throne Rastko Nemanjic.

He is famous for refusing to be his father's heir, and fleeing to a monastery to become a monk. He spent the rest of his days building churches and educating people, and eventually his father renounced the crown and joined him as a fellow monk.

They're both considered saints in the Eastern Orthodox tradition.

Wasn't Simeon monk first and king second?

Yep. It's also interesting that he's the third son of Boris, we don't really know why he was chosen as the successor and what happened to the second son.