/domg/ - Dominions General

Horror Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

astral-corruption.corgiorgy.com
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=WinterRaceWar
youtube.com/watch?v=VYy77IGsBFc
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MokouIsHot
youtube.com/watch?v=HqfMWuzqEwQ
mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=55636
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7TQ3dXYvc1qNm1rVDFWRzFsNGc/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Magoth x Bifrons OTP

astral-corruption.corgiorgy.com

Serial question. What is the horror sprite supposed to represent anyway? Is there a head/mouth/hand/anything?

Absolutely no idea. I think it's just supposed to be spooky.

Your puny human mind cannot comprehend its true form.

Lizard + Jew eternal broship?

Hopefully we can get an arena event soon so that we can have a lizard vs. jew showdown.

Realm of Roaring Scrubs retrospective in case there's anyone who cares and missed it in the last thread:

I think it is pretty straightforward.

Shit man you got like 1 (one) insight right?

Don't you question the things I've seen and unseen.

I ran out of games

any currently recruiting?

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=WinterRaceWar

youtube.com/watch?v=VYy77IGsBFc

>llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=WinterRaceWar
meh, not a fan of NationGen

It's also not, like, fun nations. Or some of them are, like the foulspawn, but many of the cool ones didn't get added in.

>Lizard + Jew eternal broship?
Oh, yes. That is pleases me the most.

And about Arena... I have seen your Tartarian SCs, they are good, but can they withstand the strength of the real overgeared SCs I possess? I hope Ermor will Wish for the Arena Match instead of his stupid Armageddon spam plan he declared.

Also, only Nazca remains to send turn in. Why won't we set him AI already? If you have no familiar dominion players willing to help, I may ask my guys to set him AI. Do you need assistance?

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MokouIsHot

Yeah, I tried some diplo. Jomon responded to my initial message with a declaration of war, Atlantis was friendly but never did anything, Bogarus and Agartha outright ignored my messages (Specifically, Bogarus agreed to borders during expansion, but nothing later). Caelum eventually agreed to hit Jomon after I shut down his second invasion, but was slow enough that Jomon was able to rebuild and recover. Atlantis had a similar problem in fighting you. I don't know if he even did, in fact. I was in regular communication with TC, and had to abandon the siege because I couldn't spare the manpower to take his capital while fighting you and jomon (and Bogarus). (Also some other stuff- he offered me all his gems, and I expected him to open up a front against you, which he never did).

Bogarus was bizarre. He invaded just before before Caelum attacked Jomon, but would constantly send a full stack to take one province and then retreat. I wiped him once or twice with defensive traps, but that was additional pressure on my manpower since he always came back. Strands was an attempt to approve that, but he ignored it, then quit and the AI went nuts with heavy cav in my backdoor. By the time he left, I'm pretty sure I had killed or disabled almost every mage he had recruited.

Playing conservatively on your part was the right call. Since I had multiple fronts, the more you kept me stalemated, the further behind I fell. I was trying to bait you into an attack earlier in our war so I could wipe it and get some breathing room to permanently solve Bogarus.

The way the game was going, though, Agartha would have just attacked me as soon as I did so.

In retrospect, I screwed up by not turning on you turn 17 when I decided you were diplomonstering, instead of going ahead with my China plans. I also should have considered fucking over Bogarus instead of trying to curry diplo points by pointing out that they had no pd, since they attacked 2 turns later.

Also, now that the game is over, I'd like to share some of your messages, if that's cool.

I don't think we had any communications of note but go ahead, I can always kill myself if it's too embarrassing

COME ON NIGGERS WE NEED ONE MORE PERSON

What was your stradegy with the armies and what kind of pretender and scales did you choose?

Any bigger mistakes you would avoid, if you had to play pangea again.

I did my best to try and get back into the game, but I literally had no idea how to come back from getting completely eaten from the elves.

My first year ended with like six provinces after I had lost just about every expansion party for x reason. Really ticked me off since I had practiced the expansion a lot before the game was even announced in thread. (I had asked the admin to make an LA game for me to play with him not in it)

So after I was surrounded by much more powerful nations, I saw my neighbor go AI and decided to eat them before getting into a war with a player. Next thing I know, Pan asks me to ally versus Midgard... then Midgard attacks me, I lose all the forts and research labs I was going to try to build... then I learn that Midgard was asked to attack me...

After crawling out from the dead with the cost of all the gems I had, I tried to take on AI to get back into the game, takes waaay too long. All the while I try to figure out how to get back at Pan with a vastly inferior army and absolutely no magic research. Really not something I want to attack when I see my enemy borders having 6x the amount of troops I got.

Eh whatever... I'm a scrublord. I will go down saying, I never went AI.

oh, alright then. LA Abysia. Just give me a sec.

I just submitted the most cancer pretender ever. You're welcome.

Or whoops was just about to, you can play with Abysia instead of my Dom 10 E9/D3/W1 T3/S3/C3/D3/L3/M3 awake Hound of Hades

I had dormant D4N4 Carrion Dragon with scales. Carrion Dragon is a very potent deterrent (Soul Vortex+Invulnerability and Quickness and Body Ethereal from Centaur Sages does wonders against regular troops) and could reliably cast Mother Oak with a booster (I opted not to, initially because I didn't want such a diplomatic malus at decisive moment, and then because the pretender got horror marked, although he survived the two horror attacks that came during the game anyway) in addition to increasing your diversity with death. I think Carrion Dragon is a good pick, although putting your S/W/A gem income to use would also be welcome.

As for mistakes, you definitely shouldn't take luck for starters. Yet another game where it did nothing at all but I keep falling to the trap (partially for thematic reasons). Another thing that comes to my mind is misuse Stymphalian Birds. There's a number of great tactics that utilize them (such as using an army without steel-armoured troops of your own and casting Iron Bane, or just alpha strikes against light infantry/archers/mages) but during the course of the game I throw a lot of them away by grouping them with other infantry, such that the harpies charged the enemy and died surrounded by enemies or to friendly crossbow fire. You'd probably want to keep them on guard commander more when there's such a risk. Centaur Cataphracts might also have been worth utilizing more beyond expansion.

I'm new as fuck
When creating a Pretender, is it better to put like 2 points in every school except maybe Blood, or put like 4-5 in a few schools?

Neither of those things.

Otherwise it depends entirely on the nation.

Neither.

As for the actual answer, ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________IT DEPENDS

Putting four in a few schools can be good for some nations if they're schools that you need. I made a pretender like that for a nationgen nation that has national summons but not the paths to access them.

Depends on my steategy you mean?

>when you realize mictlan went quadbless but Marverni went Tri-bless

god speed you beautiful bastard

Yes.

Some nations want a major bless which means 9 points in a path. Some nations don't give a rats ass about the bless so you can just take whatever lets you craft the things you want and cast the spells you want.

I can't think of a nation that wants no magic, though.

Your intended goals/strategy, your nation, other present nations, the map (and how cramped it might be), if rare events are common or not, maybe other misc settings

Just putting ~2 points in every path is (sort of) a "rainbow build" and is frequently used by nations that want an awake/dormant pretender walking around sight-searching a bunch (which, as a design, isn't very common) or other niche things. It also might provide a lot of access to magics you otherwise wouldn't have (and thus also requires knowing more about the game), so you can exploit that.

Varies by nation. Many benefit from major blesses (i.e. 9 in a path). There are uses for "Rainbow" pretenders, but they're fairly niche. Some want dominion scales before all else. Some want an awake pretender to boost expansion. Some want a pretender with specific paths to leverage national spells.

And most want at least two of those things! Deciding the tradeoff is where the strategy comes in.

>wildly disproportionately powerful nations didn't get added in
>this is less fun

Naturally! I should have a wildly disproportionately powerful nation, everyone else should have random junk. It's the best way to play natgen.

>Not going B9 for Unlimited Boar Works
Still pretty fucking rad though.

>he thinks 50g foulspawn thug mages and Berserker 7 units are okay
There's some bullshit in the chosen nations too, dude.

To be fair though, that would be pretty fun.

ErmorOP suggests it doesn't work so great.

in other news congrats to machaka for getting his monkey king hero

What else can you tell us? I have found no scouts.

Is there anything that's really sticking out? If it's something for the nation you chose, you don't have to write it but it's in your advantage to rat out your opponents.

only that machaka has a neter of chaos and atlantis is almost done wiping theodoros out and doing a service for all land dwellers everywhere

If you have units commanded by a priest, and are sieging a fort, if you set the priest to preach, do his units not count toward the siege? Or is being on that Provence enough?

Hey, what kind of stuff do you do when you're genning nations for people? What settings do you actually make use of?

Like, if I wanted an earth/death/blood vanir nation, what would you do?

I almost feel bad for the guy.

Question, I was under the impression that when playing in a disciple game when a team reached 5 temples they'd get bumped up a tier in dominion strength? My team has hit 5 combined temples and now I have 5 temples myself(8 total in the team, team of 2 nations) and we haven't seen an increase in dominion strength. What am I missing?

Tisor can recruit 1.5 expansion parties per turn with their chariots. With an awake snake, prod 3, and shuttling commanders in to lead extra expansion parties, it can hit 40+ provinces in year 1. Alternatively, they can go for a bless since they also have insane sacreds - 3 attacks, 27 hp, 19 prot, 17 MR, Berserker 5 (!!!) and a werebear wounded form.

I think that Tisor's mages are terrible and wouldn't want to play them, but it seems like it'd be pretty straightforward to roll over the first neighbor that they meet with either a raw resource advantage or sacreds that require specific magic to deal with. A good player can snowball to victory just off their troops, and a bad player can still take someone else out of the game if they bother to try.

>skele on skele group bonin'

the number of temples you need is 5 times the number of players on a team. So a team of 2 needs 10, a team of 5 needs 25. The logic here is that with each additional player you can build temples that many times faster.

Can you delete the Tjaem pretender? I think that they're a fine nation (neat berserk sacred and good magic), I just realized that I won't have time to play.

Thanks for the reply and info!

RIP in peace, Shlomo.
Out of curiosity- did Wrath of God actually kill or wound any of your mages, or was it just a complete waste of gems?

I think I lost one Ammi at one point. Otherwise I think basically every one of the very, very few deaths received was one of my indie archers.

What are some cool spells to cast with a F6A6W6E6S9D6N6 mage?

haha. Well, I blew another load of gems on Strands of Arcane Power this turn. Hopefully that doesn't go as pitifully.

Mo' kou, mo' memes

depends on what schools you have researched

remove agartha

>2hu named game
>only one fucking 2hu pretender

ALL OF YOU DISAPPOINT ME

apparently 'innovative' is the hot new meme

RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE

They do not count towards the siege

>Why won't we set him AI already? If you have no familiar dominion players willing to help, I may ask my guys to set him AI. Do you need assistance?

Earlier before I got insanely busy and back when Asphodel was generally taking their turns on time, I was just forcehosting when Nazca was the last to take their turn (I had already wasted turns setting two others AI).

If you're got someone that'll set them AI, that's fine by me. Otherwise if Asphodel will stop waiting until the last second to do turns, I'll just continue forcehosting when they're the only ones left.

Anyone with innovative in their names is likely not a noob

I don't get it.

So, Berytos, Ur, Caelum, Arco, Abysia, Pangaea, and Pelagia - do you desire to concede defeat, or do you which to see what 3 Mind Lords on repeat cast for genocide looks like?

I need any concession to be absolutely unanimous.

being a sub I really don't give a fuck, I can attest though the longer this goes on I will contribute to the cancer

Script them to wish for friends on repeat. Much more memeworthy.

And it looks like Itza is staling again. I dont especially want to get rid of him because he might have real world shit going on but at the same time I dont want to have to wait for hours needlessly every turn and he hasn't said anything on the thread so I cant do much else.

Does anyone want to jump in for Itza? We are going onto turn 6 and he has been staling since turn 4. No idea what his paths or scales are like but his guy is called the divine smith so he presumably has E.

Possibly send an admin message via llama asking him to post in thread if he's in need of a sub. Might not work but at least it's harder to miss.

[ENDGAME INTENSIFIES]

Pretty excited senpai. It's like facing down the last boss.

Thats a good idea and I wish I thought of it earlier. Still at this point I might as well put the word out.

I would concede but I also want to see you wrought the mindlord apocalypse upon us all.

Post map, I want to see how ridiculous the world is

check the repeating numerals

I thought that ritual was MR negates.

Why did it work on a pretender?

I will when the next turn goes through. Hopefully Sauromatia doesn't use their stand power to fuck up all the turns again.

This was a hilarious battle. Totally worth the pearls.

No one interested in being Itza? You might be a few turns behind but you do have some pretty OP options available to you.

where can I get worthy heroes 5.5?
Dom4 mods is down.

Well that sure is fucking awesome.

If I dont hear anything in about an hour I think I'll just set them to AI altogether. It is nearly 4 am here and I cant wait up all night.

I owe /domg/ some subs but I just cannot give a fuck about that specific situation and game, sorry.

The elves are probably breathing a sigh of relief that one of their stronger neighbors will be reduced to a retarded AI.

youtube.com/watch?v=HqfMWuzqEwQ

ah I was confusing it with this yaoi manga
mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=55636

At least a few of those could be 2hu references. Caelum and C'tis reference Okuu and the various ha- er, beautiful young women in 2hu, big lez might be another one although I doubt it, and Ragha likes Moko-tan.

This ain't a game of pretend, bub

we can make it one

So this is a thug...
Next game I will have to make one of these before turn 60!

What is it then?

too tired to properly micro anymore

What a fearsome beast!

/domg/ please it's important

Yeah, I'm done for now myself. Looking at this new turn I realized I forgot to script that battle.
Also squids gonna win. Calling it now.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7TQ3dXYvc1qNm1rVDFWRzFsNGc/view?usp=sharing