/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

romjacket.mudlord.info/web/skeletonkeyOptions.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that registration on byuu's forum is now open. If you want to see his rantings and ravings against Trump, register now.

someone figure out how to disable the parallax layer in 3d mode on n3ds so I can have muh portable CRT

help

In the Retroarch.cfg file?

i'm not using retroarch. I'm using reicast

Maybe reicast has either a cfg file or an ini

>see some faggot cry about the election.
jesus, sign me up!
that's just the kind of thing i need to feel better about myself.
I'll need about 10 threads to satiate my thirst.

Do you have Parkinson's?

Should i use OpenGL or Direct3D as a renderer in PCSX2? Also are there any essentials tweaks to default PCSX2 configuration?

byuu has kibou for the future.

>byuu has kibou for the future.
why?

that dude on reddit really hates it when people criticize retroarch.

oh well, his program is shit.

>oh well, his program is shit
that's kinda mean.
It's great for android!

Because this new guy may make him test roms so he can improve bugs in SNES emulation currently (hint: it isn't perfect yet by a long shot)

Didn't byuu himself say it'll never even come close to perfect in a software emulator because of some weird behavior that would require several times the current single thread performance to run fullspeed?

I remember byuu once said on his forums someone is developing a snes emulator that might beat him at his own game

Yeah, atomic accuracy is impossible

>tfw you'll never be able to fully emulate the effect of spilling mountain dew on an SNES

This makes me realize that say the infamous crooked cart trick in Zelda OOT...there's no way to emulate it. That is functionality that is simply lost by emulating. Fuck.

The thread turned into gender identities, then a heated discussion on circumcision.

>But you're right, software rendering N64 games at native resolution is a light task for current gen CPUs.
This guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, yet got upvoted. Mudlord was right.. Smh.

byuutiful

i have grunge maps for the 3d models of my emulated systems.
Bump maps for cheeto dust
macros for sticky buttons
video shaders for monitor glare
audio filters for punctured speakers
a closet full of onesies.

Dunno maybe you could replicate a similar effect you'd just need to know what happens when you do that on a real console, I mean you can replicate the effect of switching disc mid game with mednafen for example.

No one seems to care to try to replicate it though because it's a very specific trick for a very specific game to achieve what they wanted. I guess it may have effects in other games too but seemingly no one tries it or documents it.

>During normal play, while keeping the right side of the game cartridge pushed down, pull slowly up on the left side of the cartridge until Link starts flickering all over the screen
Yeah that would take quite a bit of autism to understand and replicate.

I think you could get a very similar effect by loading a state from mario 64

Do you think today's console (PCs have always been impossible) video games are going to be completely preserved? Do you think they're even worth being preserved?

XBONE/PS4 have no exclusives worth preserving

Yeah. And they'll even be playable without actual emulation. We'll just need some sort of compatibility layer, like how WINE lets you run Windows shit on GNU/Linux.

MTVU typically always helps FPS, it's in speed hacks.

Opengl > dx11 > dx9 typically but I think most times they all work.

Partial CRC is almost always better than normal or aggressive but those options are sometimes better for IQ or performance.

GSDX shaders are good shit to add detail to ps2 games.

Turning on "L3 to turbo".

Increasing turbo boost to its max.

Enable software mode and/or 4:3 for FMVs.

That's about it, the rest is per-game tweaks.

One of those don't belong.

Bitch please, I had massive glitches with DX9 even on Budokai 1!

fuck off mooch

go pull a rachel

fuck off user

Where's Zeromus?

How the heck do you update Retroarch? I want to use the nightlies but they're incomplete. Do I just copy all the files into my main retroarch folder?

For some reason they haven't come up with an updater for the main program. Cores and everything else is updated through the menus.

Just copy the new exe over the old one.

console emu
>click load rom
>select rom
>play

dos emu
>Z:\> mount C C:\DOSGAMES
>Z:\> mount D D:\ -t cdrom
>Z:\> cd GAME
>Z:\> GAME.EXE

Its just not the same if you cant install a sweet new sound card in that emulator instead of just hearing beeps and have to manually set IRQs. Do they still teach kids what IRQs are?

The one that isn't even an emudev?

>To prevent automated registrations the board requires you to enter a confirmation code. The code is displayed in the image you should see below.
>no image

WTF byuu

>For some reason they haven't come up with an updater for the main program.
Doesn't skeleton key have an updater for the main program?

byuu: Everywhere I go on the Internet I just see tons and tons of captchas and confirmation codes
>Go to byuu's site
>to register you have to enter a confirmation code

What is wrong with this guy? If you complain about it, don't do it on your own site.

wtf is skeleton key

Fuck off romjacket

I wonder if accounts that never post get deleted after a while.

The greatest retroarch-related program ever made.

eat shit you fucking cunt. that isn't me.

romjacket.mudlord.info/web/skeletonkeyOptions.png

When he transferred accounts from the previous forum to the new one he skipped ones without any posts. Will probably happen again when he finally gets around to writing his own forum software(yes, he's actually going to do that) and switches to that.

>byuu's board
>to register you have to enter a confirmation code

the ironing

SK is kinda dumb in that it assumes there is a nightly for today. If the buildbot doesn't have one, SK's update will fail.

At least they can't accuse us of being the same person now.

That's just a little refinement he will have to make, to if there is none, look for one a day back or two days back, etc.

I'm getting damn sick and tired of having to register just to VIEW sites, simply because other people disturb the webmaster on and off his board.

Haven't IRQs basically been eliminated as an issue due to IRQ conflict resolution methods/IRQ sharing?

If you want to know how computers work you should be taught about them in school.

>tfw the teachers who taught you about computers in school knew less about them than you did so they just let you play Oregon Trail for the class and called it a day

Can confirm, had to fix my teachers computer oh so many years ago.

m8, I was born right before the Internet went mainstream, and yet, nobody taught me about computers except my dad.

Internet was already mainstream in 1998(the year you were born), bud.

When I was in highschool (around when you were born) schools taught how computers worked.

If kids want to say they have an understanding of how computers work, they should be taught (or self taught) about IRQs.

Well, they don't teach you that much at all, if anything. Not all schools have computer classes m8.

Then your schools are doing you a disservice. "m8"

I know that. I also know that I can learn things much faster outside a school setting, unless it's another language. Then I can't really learn it at all. kek, the only thing I know how to say in Japanese is "Watashi no sensei wa Son Gokuu desu yo" which means "My teacher is Son Gokuu!"

>(PCs have always been impossible)
You have no clue what you're talking about.

I dunno, the most accurate (real machine) PC emulator, 86Box, still can't run any Windows OS beyond Server 2003 due to not emulating ACPI, and it also can't emulate any 3D accelerators from nVidia or ATI/AMD to any reasonable capacity. I'm currently working on the nVidia issue, but honestly, it will take years, perhaps even DECADES to see modern PC games emulated to the degree that they are playable. PCs are just far too complex for LLE emulation to be anything but slow and tedious.

What games are currently unplayable on anything but say Windows 95-98?

AFAIK everything you can play on XP you can find a way to run on 7+. It may not be pretty but it'll run.

I honestly wouldn't know. But the point of my message was not about playing games designed for XP on newer systems, but playing games designed for Windows 10 and Vulkan inside an LLE emulator, which I believe was closer to what the poster was referring to.

Well yeah stuff like W10 games with UWP are not emulatable now but we have a long time before those games start to become rarer or harder to access. I'm thinking of more urgent games that are in danger of being unplayable when all hardware that can run W95 dies or something.

but what about virtual machines
why do you even need LLE

俺のmoochがこんなに愚わけがない

He noted
>the most accurate (real machine) PC emulator, 86Box, still can't run any Windows OS beyond Server 2003 due to not emulating ACPI
Virtual machines cover a lot of older games but not newer ones

Virtual machines are only really good for capturing the basics of a PC. LLE allows you to run any operating system accurately as long as the OS supports the hardware you're emulating. Also, LLE can run original drivers for whatever graphics card you're emulating!

I think you're saying that we're both foolish or something??? I don't know THAT much Japanese, and I had to individually Google Translate each kanji, because I don't know any of them except the kanji for "Watashi".

To be honest, I just do this to preserve hardware. The ability to run games and operating systems is just a lucky side effect, and also lets me know that my hardware models are correct.

also *she

It's a play on the title of oreimo. How can you be into Japanese and not know that animu?

I know OF it, but honestly, I mostly watch 90s shounen-style anime. :/

SHIN EMULATA ROBO!

Can you imagine byuu buying this at a yard sale?

Recommendations for a good game to emulate on a tablet? I am playing disgaea 2 dark hero days atm but it gets boring as fuck. Prefer games that dont use button combinations, I can beat sonic or fir emblem on this thing, not so much mega man x or anything metroid.

None of them, use something with actual controls kek.

>kek
>m8

I'm almost happy your generation will be completely fucked by Trump and his administration.

I already beat Sonic 3 and Knuckles on this bitch with all the chaos and hyper emeralds. It works, fuck you. I just can't do games where you gotta move and hold a shoulder button while you push face buttons. Speedy inputs and all the rpgs I want are gucci.

>>Emugen, the general for HAY GUIZE LET'S EMU SOMETHING VIDYA
>>Be a trip fag
>>Tell them to stop emulating so we can go back to my circle jerk
You know shit like this is why this site was intended to be anonymous, right? Because of people like you.

I never said to stop emulating. I just said to emulate on something with actual fucking controls, you stupid shit.

If that pisses you off so much, you really need to get a reality check, because that shit's FAR from the worst shit my generation does.

Said webmaster should get a less fragile ego

You really shouldn't be telling anyone they need a reality check.

Why not? Is it because of my beliefs? Or is it because of my gender? Either way you're fucking wrong, but go ahead. Make my day.

Anyone ever run into this problem in Peace Walker via PPSSPP where all development of any item gets stuck at 0%? It's the point in the story where you have to develop C4 but I did like ten missions and it wont develop. Tried cancelling it and developing a whole bunch of other shit and its just stuck at 0%. What do?

To clarify, everything else gets stuck at 0% too. Lets say I select the SolidEye, I do the 2nd tank battle and clear it. Nope, still 0%. Miller still saying to give them time. I get the troops I Fulton but no progress. Am I fucked?

try jpcsp kek

You have admitted to a long list of psychological illnesses on multiple occasions.