Buying my first property

Hello, I'm not usually a poster here so pardon me if this is not the right forum, but this is really a HUGE decision for me and I really want to take the correct path

I'm 23 and if everything goes according to the plan I'm getting my Human Resources diploma here in Buenos Aires (Argentina).

I've been saving and selling most of my collectibles (I had some really rare MTG cards) and I want to buy my first property, to live on my very own place. Now, I've been watching a lot of flats, since they are the cheapest ones, and I managed to find a semi-good deal in a 2 years old building, it's a 2-room apartment, pool, and it's in the middle of one of the most "cool" neighborhoods, where all the bars and expensive discos are at. The bad thing is that it is a small apartment, but it's in impecable condition, and it only has $1200 of condo fees per month (which will hurt but I can pay for it)

So it looked like that was going to be my new home, but then I saw an ad of this 60-year old horizontal-property in a much more residential neighborhood (the one my friends and family live in). The good thing about it is that it's like two thirds of the price of the apartment, and it has no manteinance fees. The bad side is that it's in HORRIBLE condition. I've been trying to calculate, and all the repairs and paint and stuff will bring me more or less equal to the apartment. But, on the good side, it's a house, not an apartment, and it's 3 rooms instead of 2, + a small semi-floor that could be a fourth room.

So my question is, do you think the effort to put it back into an acceptable state will be worth it? I don't plan to live here the rest of my life, but I think if I manage to get it to a very acceptable level I'll be able to make it worth a lot more.

that was the entrance of the building

here's how the apartment looks like, the stairs lead to a room in an improvised upper floor

it really looks like shit

Will you be renting the house or mortgaging it?

the walls really need a lot of work

Don't pay condo fees you might as well just rent so you can move whenever you want. And usually in places like that there are restrictions if you ever want to rent it out sell it or have guests over that stay the night. It seems like at this point in life you want to live in the more poppin part of town and aren't settled yet so it would be better to rent unless you are buying to rent to someone else to make a profit

paying it full price, no mortgage, it will be completely mine.

the living room also looks like shit

You should get it thoroughly inspected to make sure there isn't toxic mold or anything like that but looks like all you'd need to do is paint it

I get your point about renting, but renting isn't really cheap here, and I rather spend the money now to have something of my own

I think it depends on how long you are planning to live in the house but if you can fix it up and the market doesn't go to shit, it'll definitely get you your cash back when you sell it and move out.

i still need to inspect it, but since an old lady lives here I guess there's none since she'd be dead by now.

I'm planning to at least live here for till i'm 28-29

Then, in my opinion, it's definitely worth investing in the house and hope that the housing market doesn't dip when you want to move out.

this is the living room, that has the little trap-stair that leads to the semi-floor

Thanks man, I really appreciate your advice.

the kitchen doesn't look THAT bad

Why not take out a loan? Put your cash in safe investments that yield higher than your mortgage rate.

I'm not going to mortgage it. I have the cash to buy it fully and either of them being 100% mine.

the restroom looks comfy

I'd go for the house, use the remaining money to clean it up.

the flat is a money sink

Pro tip: have it cleaned up professionally. you will never do it if you live there "while doing it".

ask a friend that is an architect to make you an estimate of the actual value and how much it would cost to renovate it, believe me buying houses and flats and shit is more like buying a cat in the bag than one believes.

personally go with a fucked up apartment in a soon to be gentrified neighbourhood. this is how money is made. ugliness and dirt can be cleaned, a fucked up insulation, dampness, mold and leaky windows is much pricier however, so be on the lookout for these kind of things.

Get a surveyor. From the look of it its about to fall down. Costs much less to have a survey than to buy something that is fucked.

Based on what the survey says, consider offering less than full price.

Also the Falklands are British.

In what neighborhood the house is located? Please don't say Caballito
You already have a job for that HR diploma?
The area of the house and the apartment have shortcuts of energy in summer?
How do you have enought money just being 23 yo? Someone got you a good job straight from hs?
The condo fees are a shit and there will always be special unexpected fees

Holy shit this is fucking horrendous

“you need to get great people and not trust them” - Donald Trump
Don't trust your friend entirely.

fuck the house off for now. use the money to buy WAVES