Black ATF fluid

So i just bought a 1999 Tacoma 110K miles in extremely good condition. So i set out to change all the fluids so i know everything is clean and i don't have to worry about it for a while. Problem is i found out the trans fluid was very dark it looked like used motor oil.

It shifted fine so i never suspected anything and now that i changed it it seems to shift a tad firmer which is good. But how bad is it on a trans mission to let it get that dark? Will this effect the life of the tranny or do you think i could get another 200K out of it? I wanna get this truck to 300K

anyone?

Yes it will affect the trans life m8

I have rebuilt manual transmission but never really messed with a auto how hard are they to slap new clutch pack in?

Not that hard I would assume. To be honest I don't know.

No.

You're better off just finding a new one.

Also just drive it and see what happens. It's not like you can un-do the burnt old ATF any more than just flushing it out with new ATF and drive it.

You say it shifts fine, so keep driving it and keep up with fluids.

Change the fluid again. You want to change it a few time to make sure the rest of it is out of the torque converter

Just change the fluid, you don't want to crack that thing open. I wouldn't worry too much about the color, if it doesn't smell really burnt you're good to go. I would be extremely surprised to find a Taco auto trans shot in 110k miles

i'm gonna drive it and see what happens im sure it will still last many years because it never gave me any problems. I am just wondering about rebuilding an auto myself because i see rebuild kits for $250 and to pay someone would cost thousands.

I have rebuilt a few manual trannys and set up ring and pinions and rebuilt an engine. But auto trannies scare me cause i don't know anything about them. And im getting older and i dont really have the urge to learn to repair stuff like i did when i was younger.

OP, give us an update.
I guess a QTDDTOT would be appreciated.
Worked at a Jiffy Lube in the 90's saw a lot of black atf,the cars kept coming back, but that's my only experience.

>Change the fluid again. You want to change it a few time to make sure the rest of it is out of the torque converter

I flushed it fairly well... 3 quarts came out of the pan and i flushed another 5 quarts out of the torque converter though the tranny cooler line. But i ran out of ATF so i had to leave it like this for now im gonna give it another flush soon.

i should have said i put 8 quarts in it and i think it holds 10 so i did flush it fairly well and will probably flush 2 more gallons through it this weekend.

Well even if you run fluid through it you still aren't getting everything. You want to change it
Drive it 10K miles
Change it again
Drive another 10K
Change it for the 3rd final time.
Just running fluid through it doesn't get it all out of the torque converter. It's best to change it 3 times so all your lines are clean and free of metal shavings.

k i will its cheaper than a rebuild if i can save it from a premature death.

You aren't going to harm it by leaving the last bit if bad fluid in it. Calm the fuck down.

Autos are easy to rebuild, just don't scratch the housing when you pull the circlips out or the seals will leak and it won't shift right.

Looks like you rolled into the wrong neighborhood bub.

Friend had a D21 with a divorced transfercase they are weird trucks and the manual transmissions are shit in them.

i mean 720 not D21.... fucking 8 spark plugs.... why was datsun/nissan so weird?

Yup those early trannys had a design flaw that lead to premature wear, also they did some weird stuff for emissions and what not. I still loved my truck when i had it.

Look, I wish I could help but I don't know please leave me alone

looks like you discovered my shit posting account

Guess so, though I've been on the Tacoma page for a little while now

Auto is just stupid to work on compared to manual. Depending on the trans anyway

what is that an advanced toyota three speed?
toyota was selling three speeds well into the 2000s how fucking pathetic is that?

It's a 4 speed A43D i think it's pretty close to the auto's 90's jeep XJ's used and i had a XJ with close to 300K on it. I know they are good transmissions if taken care of so i kinda want to find the previous owner and beat him silly.

The asshole had records for oil changes and even a brake fluid flush but i am 100% sure the tranny was never touched so im kinda pissed off lol