So imma be buying a car with this 460 engine inside of a 1972 ford thunderbird coupe...

So imma be buying a car with this 460 engine inside of a 1972 ford thunderbird coupe, how much horse and torque does it have?? Im new to big blocks

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/5853845099.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

stock, maybe like 230hp and 400lb/ft of torque.

Wow thanks for the quick reply, id give you a gold star but im all out

consider that that was like 44 years ago though, it's not making near that now.

Well tits whys that

wear and tear

cars lose power over time

Aging rings and bores, carbon and sludge buildup, old spark plugs and carb to name a few reasons

Over time a car loses power naturally, parts wear out(like cams), and compression drops from weakening gaskets. oil can only do so much to preserve an engine. 44 years is a lot on an engine whether or not it has a ton of miles.

Are those SAE numbers?

Bad news: It's a piece of ameriburger shit that I'm guessing got choked to death due to emissions standards at the time, and the typical ameriburger lazy response to them.

Good news: there's no replacement for displacement, and letting the engine breathe will put some life into it.

So what do you guys reccomended i start doing with it first?

72 wasnt actually that bad of a year on emissions requirements. EGR wasnt even required untill a year later, unless it was a california model.

yes. gross would be like 500lb ft and 350 hp.

if the po doesn't have a maintenance record do a basic tune up
All oils
All filters
Spark plugs and wires

make sure car is running good before doing sick mawds

Should i open up exhaust first?

Cut off the cat, fuck emissions.

yes. also if you can, I would get new valvesprings, rockers, pushrods and a slightly bigger, new cam first.

Hell yea, straight pipe

This, you want to make sure your platform is reliable enough before you start trying to upgrade things. Keep it simple, and if it's running good, then look into further changes. It's not easy to make a lot of hp without spending a ton of money, so be careful.

Alright will do, thankzz

wtf Veeky Forums actually giving helpful advice

its pretty nice without all the gm vs ford shitposters

They must not get wifi at the bus station.

those are pretty intensive mods, fair warning. easy stuff is putting a better intake, better carb, and better exhaust headers and an exhaust on it.

This. If you're going to make it breathe, it's best to start here because it's bolt ons. Everything else involves taking it apart.

Now, if you have to take it apart because the gaskets are fucked or something, then you'd be looking really hard at cams and if your budget allows, heads.

At the same time, make too much power, and you'll start looking at the rest of your driveline...

Of course, imma start basic before i head into engine modifications

bump

If it's a ford, not a Lincoln in 1972 it should actually be a 429.
Ford didn't start using the 460 until '73
Either way it's going to be a torque monster and will move that old boat pretty well.

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/5853845099.html
???

If you decide to spruce it up a bit, the best place to start would be an HEI ignition conversion, they ar like 150$ or less form summit/jegs and require 1 bolt and 2 wires to install. The strnger more stable spark will do nothing but good for your motor.

Next, full exhaust system. 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 primary long tube headers (smaller is better seriously) going into dual 2.5 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, If you can get an x pipe in there, even better.

Next an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold or Wieland equivalent. Top it with a re-manufactured summit 750 4 barrel carburator.

Heads and cam swap can be done next, but they ate a bit more in depth operations, and I doubt you will want them after you let that monster breathe with some basic intake/exhaust parts.

That was my dad's (RIP) favorite car he ever owned until he got the Buick Electra he had all during my teen and young adult years.

But its a 460 lol
Nope im in cali
It actually looks very simar to that pic