Byzantine and eastern christian art thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UQ9YYabuZHc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Looking for some beautiful art

I love Coptic icons.

They look like cartoons.

they got some asian thing going on

Is Jesus having a massive blood-mixed diarrhea?

Where are you Sakurahime? Were you just a dream?

looks like its missing some towers here and there...

>she

he's a fat singaporean neckbeard weaboo, you can probably still see him in /asean/

Stunningly beautiful

How did the Greek battle cry go?

Next time in Constantinople?
Tomorrow in Constantinople?
We'll have dinner in Constantinople?

this beard is so mesmerizing

Based St Dionysius the Areopagite, I'm a big fan of his desu

OP this film is worth a watch. Don't try to watch it all at once, it's pretty long youtu.be/UQ9YYabuZHc

I always wondered why Dionysus is still a popular name. Like why not any of the other Greek gods and why Dionysus especially? He's probably the least Christian of the bunch.

It just seems weird that people in the Byzantine era would continue to name their children after some pagan god who's sphere is wine and orgies.

He wasn't Byzantine era, he was a prominent pagan Athenian noblemen who converted after hearing Saint Paul preach. A very early period Christian Saint.

Dionysus was arguably the most prominent and important god to the majority of people.

before Christianity, the cult of Dionysus was basically the exact same.

I just meant that in heavily christian periods the name was still popular. Wasn't specifically talking about that dude.

I mean fuck even the guy who came up with B.C. & A.D. was named Dionysius.

The name was popular because of saints named that. People were generally named after saints, and many saints were brought up pagan and converted..

(You)

Yeah that makes sense.

Saint Duchess Elizabeth

Sanct Marina btw

Saint*

Another Icon of Saint Marina

Light perpetual shines upon her.

why does orthodox """"art"""" looks so boring compared to catholic art? any reinassance painting is better thant this trash

Ohhhh.....harrro :3

Orthodox art is about spirituality, not catering to the Zeitgeist. Similarly, you could ask why Orthodox prayer and fasting are so boring.

This is an Eastern Orthodox icon of Constantine and Praceteom blessed by Patriarch Kiril of Moscow

. . .

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.

Oh look it's God the Father anthropomorphized.

this triggers the proddie

>in heaven

Exodus 25:18
And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat.

Depictions of God the Father is actually against canons in Orthodoxy, unless it's of the Visitation of the Trinity or something like that. If God is to be depicted, including some anthropomorphic scene in the OT, it's generally as Christ.

There are many icons, probably innocently pained, of God the Father, but they are technically not canonical icons.

how do they justify depictions of jesus?

People seen him

Which Church figure established the cannon on Church Art/Icons?

>Missing the end of the sentence

The point is presenting them as the real deal instead of a representation. There are loads of instances of presenting icons in the bible that aren't idols.

Idolatary is worshiping the image itself. I don't agree with Christcuck morals, and may occasionally accidentally exaggerate them, but even I can fucking read.

In the time this thing was written tribes used to carry their god around with them and fight, feeding the statue, fanatically.

The 'idols' that are banned are more like the Roman eagle/standard than the Roman god statues.

Its about presenting fiction as the truth, not the creation of fictional art.

There was something about a bronze snake I can vaguely recollect that outlines the difference.

St. Luke the Evangelist, I believe.

I'm not orthodox and I know you're false-flagging, but iconography looks this way due to its own tradition--or the part that survived the iconoclastic movement--and not from the ineptitude of the artist to draw realistically.

orthodox icons are not concerned with realism or materialism...they are not art in a cllasical sense, they are tools

the icon in its context is a window to the spiritual, a bridge between the believer and god.....as such they dont need to be realistic, but need to be symbolic

catholic art submited to secularis and materialism in many respects, wheras the orthodox icon is the product of no particular artist, it is not signed, it is not painted for personal glory

orthodox art precedes the renaissance by about 1000 years

This was before it was defiled by the muslims