Who else has fallen for the /regular gas/ meme?

Who else has fallen for the /regular gas/ meme?

I tried Premium fuel for the first time today and holy shit is it a game changer.

Quick rundown. I own a v6 car with a high compression engine. I noticed engine knocking at higher rpm and under heavier acceleration so I found out premium fuel may fix it. I tried it today and the engine is smoother and sounds better, no more engine knocking.

So why haven't you joined the high octane master race Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15718132/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because my car was built for 87 octane

I put premium in everything because I ran actual gas mileage on everything and it's cheaper because the 40¢ spread on $3 is less than the increased mpg.

The only thing I don't use it in is my mc because unless I'm filling a fuel can in the middle of a premium tank I'm pretty sure I only get the last bit of shit gas from the fit before. Fucking peanut tank.

Mine was too and runs on 87 octane. I've been driving it for a year and a half using it but couldn't use it to it's full potential.

The manual says 87 and up and does benefit from higher octanes.

Higher octanes also have more detergents in them to help your engine out.

>I put premium in everything because I ran actual gas mileage on everything and it's cheaper because the 40¢ spread on $3 is less than the increased mpg.

I didn't realize this either. Premium fuel has more energy per unit volume so you get less from more.

You're an idiot.

If your engine knocks, try a different brand of gas and if it still knocks step up to a high enough octane it doesn't. You'll not only get better fuel economy you'll also keep your engine from popping.

If your car runs fine on regular, you're an idiot for putting better gas in it. You may get very slightly improved fuel economy but nowhere near the 10%+ more that the better fuel costs.

>If your engine knocks, try a different brand of gas and if it still knocks step up to a high enough octane it doesn't.

Yes I didn't even realize this. My engine would knock under certain circumstances and I didn't even think to use premium fuel. Now engine knocking has completely stopped and my engine sounds and feels smoother.

Feels good man

What happens with engine knock? At high rpm my engine feels weird and the battery light always comes on in high rpm 2-3 gear driving..

>living in florida
>first mechanic ever saw recommended 10w40 conventional oil because of heat
>use that oil for 5 years
>decide to google recommended oil
>5w30
>put it in
>car accelerates faster and feels smoother

whoops

Engine knock in my case, if the engine was under higher stress like higher than 3k rpm the engine would make a high frequency fast ticking noise. I didn't even know that was what it was called but this happened using regular fuel.

I found this out searching online and found my engine has a high compression. Meaning under higher stress from faster and hotter reactions in the cylinder, the fuel/air mixture would ignite prematurely. This is a problem and the the ECU would try to alleviate it by retarding the timing on the ignition. However using premium fuel, it takes a higher temperature for ignition which leads to a more controlled combustion without having to rely on your ECU to retard the timing.

That may be what's happening with you but I'm not sure about the battery light issue. That didn't happen to me.

Kek once the engine has been running for 5 minutes it should have the same temperature internally whether it's 50 or 90 degrees outside.

The best gas for yor engine is the lowest octane that doesn't knock. End of story.

>noticed engine knocking at higher rpm and under heavier acceleration
what kind of shitbox are you driving

>So why haven't you joined the high octane master race Veeky Forums?
Some engines like 91, some like 89 and some like 87

>tfw run shit tier 87 I get from Billy Bob's gas station
>$1.19/gallon
>Run a water injection system with tap water and an 8 gallon fuel cell in the trunk
>Sprays after 2200rpm
>Get it tuned
>Make more power and better mpg's while saving money
All off of a 4g64 in an 01 eclipse with a small gt17 at 6 psi

Seriously think of going this route. Spending 200$ on a meth system and 100 on a tune saves you big money in the long run if you an get shit fuel for low cost.

>So why haven't you joined the high octane master race Veeky Forums?

I don't need higher octane because my car was designed for 87 octane. Nor is the computer retarding to prevent knock with the wrong fuel (thus wasting mileage). However, I do use TOP TIER GASOLINE not only for the added detergents, but for its other stricter requirements such as sulfur content, additive content, etcetera.

>Import JDM engine that needs US equavilent of 96 octane.
>Engine knocked on 93 octane till I got a tune
>can actually feel the sluggyness with the pulled timing.

Where do you get top tier gasoline? How can you tell?

Wtf I've never seen 96 octane at any conventional gas station

Would octane matter on an engine (5VZ) with higher miles (215k)?

It uses 87 but recently if im running it for 3+ hours i notice it vibrates a little bit more (knock?) nothing too noticeable though.

The engine runs 3 coilpacks along one side with dual electrode plugs, and the other side are single electrode.

You guys are all complete fucking morons that don't have the slightest clue about automobile engines. Early detonation has absolutely zero impact on performance. All this shit you conjure up about it "running better" is placebo/in your head

Well I would consider an engine using 91 octane that doesn't knock superior to the same engine that does knock using 87 octane

>Because of the way detonation breaks down the boundary layer of protective gas surrounding components in the cylinder, such as the spark plug electrode, these components can start to get very hot over sustained periods of detonation and glow. Eventually this can lead to the far more catastrophic pre-Ignition as described above.

>While it is not uncommon for an automobile engine to continue on for thousands of kilometers with mild detonation, pre-ignition can destroy an engine in just a few strokes of the piston.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Uhh yah I don't want to destroy my engine bub, nice bait though

Hmm I'm not sure, what's the compression ratio on the engine? I would try it at least once and try to notice the difference. For me it was game changing

That sounds complicated, how specifically was it tuned?

Japanese RON 100 octane is around 96 US octane. So if you import say a, SR20DET, RB26DETT, or JDM 2JZGTE & use the Jap ECU out the box without touching the tune, there's a good chance it's tuned for RON 100

All else being the same, 87 Octane will net you better fuel economy if your engine is designed around it, period.

There are a bunch of different reasons why an OLDER car that was originally intended to take 87 Octane might run better with 93 Octane - namely lots of deposits that get heated up during continuous combustion cycles and cause an effective increase in compression. That would be one reason why some cars run better on premium even though they weren't originally designed to run on premium.

>run ULTIMATE LMAO CLEAN UR ENTIR CAR fuel
>costs tons more than regular
>car drinks fuel all week
>go back to local yokel petrol
>economy goes through the roof
epic!

>>economy goes through the roof
?

Pic related.

I didnt know off top of my head but hopefully Google hasnt lied to me.

Because my car isn't shit
Hyndai btw

>Where do you get top tier gasoline? How can you tell?
I'd also like to know the answer to this

>car isn't shit
>Hy(u)ndai

PISSING MYSELF LAUGHING

9.6:1 seems high. Especially for a car with that mileage it might be worth it to run an experiment. I'm really not sure though.

>Car can take advantage of superior fuel
>Is shit

Well memed

I'm pretty sure my car would die if I gave it 87. I usually feed it 94 octane, which is like 101 for Europeans

Of all the issues you want to argue, gas quality isnt one of them.

Put 91 in a high compression car that asks for it and regular otherwise. Stop overthinking it.

>Own 2001 Chevy truck with 5.3
>Always run regular
>old nig comes into my warehouse bitching he can't find ethanol free premium anywhere for his Tahoe
>swears he gets 2-3 more miles a gallon than regular
>tell him where I get ethanol free premium for my power equipment, he gets so stupidity happy
>almost on empty and decide to fill up with "the good stuff"
>after running down the tank, do it again for science
>after three weeks my miles per gallon increased by about 5%
>but the ethanol free premium costs about 30% more

tldr; ethanol free premium is only worth using in engines that require it, and power equipment.

>pic not related, just a tire I had to patch last week

I run anything besides e85 in my subaru and only premium 91 in my Honda. My Honda like it, my subi doesn't give a fuck

>Engine is knocking
>Thinks its the fuels problem
Surethingbro

threw 98 (us) VP race gas in an ls1 z28 on an empty tank to top off

mwf dat power and mpg's

thew shut the station down and now would need to drive an hour or so to get some race gas else where

>tfw no 93 octane where I live
91 isn't bad I guess

>higher octane gives me more power i swear it bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

if your car is >tuned, the tuner can advance the timing because higher octane won't knock as easily. This means you can get more power out of higher octane.

Of course most people run stock cars and it makes no difference

Cylinder pressures increase more smoothly durning the power stroke with higher octane fuel

>BSFC.jpg

I drive an '89 Accord with 437k miles, and I'd been putting premium in it just thinking that the additives would be good for the engine (which has never been out of the car).

Two years ago I barely passed smog- hydrocarbon emissions at low speed were right at the limit. My guess was that it wasn't burning all the fuel at low speed, so for the last test I used regular gas and it passed easily.

Not sure what I'll use going forward. I should run a few tanks of each to see if there's a difference in fuel economy, I guess.

incorrect

100 RON is equivalent to 94 AKI R+M/2

learn to convert

My car has never had anything other than premium in it as that's what's recommended by the manufacturer.

>tfw just joined that fb Tacoma group
>tfw waiting for the confirmation

Let me in damnit

Early detonation has absolutely zero impact on performance

it will when you blow a hole in your piston from the severe pressure spike caused by the ping.

and modern engines, what with the fuel injection and the knock sensors, they can sense ping and will retard the timing to compensate for it. Here's a fun fact, fucko; retarded(like you) timing causes loss of power.

>early ignition causes no loss in power
>2 sentences later
>early ignition causes a loss in power
bazinga

This.

It's a new car. The knocking went away with premium fuel. It runs on regular but only below 3k rpm and low acceleration.

He meant the first sentence to be a quote

My wife's Escape gets 2/5mpg city/highway better using ethanol free premium.

I've always noticed more pinging at low rpms lugging the engine. Or when overheating (only happened once..bad times)

Please tell me this is bait

This.

Wouldn't know desu. You can't get anything below 95 octane (which is like 96-97 actually) in Europe.

>detonation
>ever not impacting performance

>Where do you get top tier gasoline?

Top Tier Gasoline is a specification developed by various car manufacturers. Sources and more info are in the archived thread at:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15718132/

Costco gas is Top Tier gas.

Friend has a dyno shop
Got the stock pcm tuned with basically more fuel in the top end and advanced the timing a shitload so i got ~5 counts of knock under boost with a steady 13:1 Afr.
Hooked up the water injection and no more knock at all. For the first month I kept a laptop data logging in the car and beat the shit out of it and never got a single count of knock with straight tap water.
Under 500$ you can get a water/meth system and get a tune with basically just a shitload of timing advance and pull the knock with water.

aviation gasoline is 97 iirc

quick tip quicky, 0w30 is better than 5w30 for engine longevity, it's more flowy at cold temp, meaning less engine wear.

wtf i hate 87 now. going to start getting the 100 octane pump gas at rebel stations for my shitbox d15z1 civic now.

>high compression engine
>using regular gas
>wonders why engine was knocking

you fucking retard

>Early detonation has zero impact on performance

I don't know what's sadder, the fact this guy thinks he's right; or kids in a high school auto shop know more than this guy.

9.6 isn´t high, unless it is supercharged it is unlikely to have any impact at all.

>Not at least using distilled water to avoid mineral buildup in the water jacket

Fucking retard

>tfw my modepd runs slower wit 100 octane than with 95 octane
Does somebody know wher i can get fuel with less than 95 octane?
The combustion seems to be to slow at 7000rpm in my old 2-stroke with 95 or 100 octane.

>Not getting a small Toyota truck that can run on 85 octane in the Rockies

>implying i don´t have one

>not exclusively using 100LL AvGas from your local airport

It's like you guys don't care about performance! On top of that, it smells great and works perfect for starting the charcoal. There's nothing better than the smell of good ol' AvGas on the hands after a night of working in the garage.

It's called Avgas 100LL (low-lead).

>AvGas for starting charcoal
Hello fellow pilot.

fyi your bbq tastes like ass

85?

>he never tasted the good sailplane bbq

Your point? That's almost exactly what the difference should be based on ethanol's much lower energy density.

In most of Colorado "regular" gas is 85, then it goes 87, then 89. The altitude messes with the timing or some bullshit so basically you can run 2 octane less than normal without knocking.

The best gas for your engine is what the manufacturer designed the engine for.

Alternator?

Manual says 87 OR HIGHER, it's the "OR HIGHER" part I neglected.

The compression ratio is a whopping 11.5:1 for fuck sake

You get a lower manifold pressure so the air/fuel mixture in your cylindres doesn´t get to a high pressure and doesn´z knockthat easy.

Something is wrong with your car

There are engines now that run on 87 with 14:1 compression ratio

The user manual for my car says slight knocking is normal.

91 octane is recommended for my car, but I've always stuck with regular. Should I make the leap?

You definitly should, it may improve your power and fuel economy.

Engine wear typically happens when its cold it has little to do with the flow when its cold because even an idiot knows 0w to 5w is basically nothing even when cold.

There is a reason why your cap says 5w30.

It was my mom's car for 5 years and she's always used regular. Could that have done any damage to the engine?
Pic related: my car

Which ones? What's the volume. Like I said my car runs on regular but premium is just better.

Fuck that shit. Why stop there?

My car was designed for 87 and I had similar issues, but not to your extent. Now I use 110 race gas in my car. The motor runs much better and it gives the exhaust a sweet, nutty smell.

Since most cars have knocking sensors and can alter the ignition timing to prevent it it is unlikely to have suffered damage.

This sounds like an electrical issue. Check your alternator belt first. Check for any loose or frayed wires in your engine bay. Other things to check would be your ignition system if it feels like it's misfiring

*modern not most

That would be because those cars have direct injection.

So does mine.

>It's over NINE THOUSAND

Who here biodiesel masterace?

Mazda Skyactiv-G engines

>Mazda Skyactiv-G
Oh but those are tiny engines.

Who here bioethanol masterace?

Engine displacement really doesn't make a difference with compression ratios

>he thinks his V6 is big

>i was retarded and put low octane in a high compression car