Can you FIX your own car?

>If no you're definitely not a real car guy.

Posers belongs at Reddit

Sure, I can fix shit
I'm a man, aren't I?

I don't know, are you?

>>>/facebook/

_can_ I?

Sure. But sometimes it's actually easier and more cost effective to take it to someone else.

I learned, not out of choice though, life just constantly shits on you when you own a 30 year old car.

that picture brings back nightmares repairing my old car on the side of a highway in freezing weather. fucking in-tank pumps and filters

Yes but id rather not most of the time, too poor to send her to a shop.

Im just tired of it all man.

Yeah.. I mean I had to learn the hard way because I refuse to go to mechanics now.

I kinda have to. I'm broke and need my car every day, so I can't wait on shops to do it. Not to mention I drive a fucking VW so the labor costs are always double or more than the cost of doing it myself.

>repairing my old car on the side of a highway in freezing weather

That's nightmare fuel right there, care to greentext? brother

I had to drain my tank and then drop it in the dead of the night, and splice my new fuel pump while half asleep.

I can change my oil but thats about it, i generally fuck anything that i try to fix

Yes. Began many years ago because I always wanted to wrench. Had comfy career fixing fighters (aircraft mechanic is best mechanic career) while working on any and everything on the side.

The speed and convenience and freedom when you can do everything but specialty machine shop work is very nice. I outsource auto trans rebuilds because only volume rebuilders have the parts handy to replace everything and I don't feel like buying the specialty tools for solo use. The insane amount of money I saved payed off my house early. I fucking love wrenching, wiring, computers, machining and any technical trade or hobby.

Do it, faggots. The money you save will buy you quality tools and equipment to save you even more money.

All I do is cars pham, all day erry day

how do i get into that?

I just dropped out of community college because i realized its a waste of time and money

I agree that you save some money, but saying it's an "insane amount" might be a bit exagerated. I drive an older, pretty reliable car and maintainig/fixing it myself saves me 200-300 bucks a year tops.

Depends. With complcated jobs, I normally end up breaking stuff worse than it already was. These are jobs involving electronics and plastic. If it's metal and some nuts and bolts I'm straight.

If you can wrench and do side jobs or flip cars, it's an easy way to make an extra $2k+ a month with like a weekend worth of work.

Can I? With a service manual you can do a lot of shit. Not always well, it's not a how-to, but you you can do it.

Do I want to wait two weeks for parts? No.

Do I want to stock up on specialty tools that cost as much as the job? No. I've never owned a car long enough to have a failed wheel bearing, so if one does fail, it better not be some pressed bullshit.

do you yiff while fixing your car?

Not other user, but...
>my fuel pump ate shit on the high way
>call bro for help
>brings towstraps
>stops at auto zone a gets a replacement
>tows me to gas station
>fuck draining and dropping the tank
>pulls out drill and electrical saw
>pull up trunk liner and carefully cut hole in metal above fuel pump
>swap it out
>get car running
>patch the metal back in place when we get home.
Now we got a nice little door should it happen again.

Ofc

>You need to be a poor grubby mechanic to enjoy cars

>be me
>trying to chat up pretty classmate qt in college
>not knowing what else to say I talk about cars
>she blurts out how she owns a brand new Jaguar
>thats a nice car, what engine does it have?
>oh, I don't know hee hee
>mfw
I get not being super into cars, but is it not a reasonable thing to assume people know what they drive in?

>what engine does it have?
thats incredibly unreasonable, especially when they blurt out the brand and not what it actually is
she probably doesn't know its name off the top of her head, how would she know the engine?

I may not have a car, but I do have a place where I help out fixing cars.

What's this guy's name again?

Fix It Felix

What if I am utterly clueless with wrenching but am fairly handy around the house?

can you fix your car ?
>without oem spares

That's why I'm much better at just bolting shit on when I know what is broken rather than diagnosing shit and playing with sensors and electronics.

occasionally

It all depends on the nature of the work.

Fuck doing a clutch change on a FWD with no good tools and limited space.

No excuse for minor things though.

this

When the weather is good or I can find a garage to work in. Shadetree life is only sligthly tolerable.

As soon as I get acess to a CNC mill yes.

Holy shit that picture fucking killed me

nigga spell icup

spell it bihhhhh