How come the ancient Greeks were the pinnacle of human civilization but the Greeks of today are the lowest...

How come the ancient Greeks were the pinnacle of human civilization but the Greeks of today are the lowest, least successful of all Europeans? What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

debunkingdenialism.com/2012/08/11/the-widespread-abuse-of-heritability/#more-5129
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Romans then muslims. Well organized violent masses trump cultural sophistication.

The Greeks of today still seem very nice and cool to me.

lmao, they weren't the pinnacle even in the levant.

>lmao, they weren't the pinnacle even in the levant.
How so? Do you know how much Greek philosophy came to be influential?

They have forsaken the blessed Gods, and the Gods have forsaken them back.

>What went wrong?
Greeks do not handle neoliberalism well, that's all. If you notice, during Athenian times, scholars philosophized and researched because they wanted to -- not because they needed money.

Handling global economic or neoliberal demands requires a different mindset.

nice maymay fwend0!!!
yeah, this
Greeks are used to autocrats and have mostly been effective under dictatorships
coupled with the fact that Greeks love fighting amongst eachother and always mistrust the governments

The former colonial powers today of France and UK went through or are going through, the same listless phase

I think that in a society's collective conscious, apathy and a sense of achievement sets in

Why should you push hard if your ancestors scaled the heights? Why not enjoy life and maintain the old culture?

Not saying that's right or wrong

I think this is more plausible than the Nordicist theory

the absolute meme thread

Lots of admixture from lower iq people.

this t b h

>Have nice culture for about 50 years
>LE PINNACLE OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION
Athens was a awfull democracy and Sparta sucked monkey dick.
All the real philosophy and art came from Magna Grecia and the modern day Turkish coast.

Greece is hardly the worst in Europe. They've had a hard transition into a global economy but you'd rather live there than estonia, moldova, romania, croatia, etc.

Looks like someone didn't understand the metaphor of Atlantis :^)

>muh iq

debunkingdenialism.com/2012/08/11/the-widespread-abuse-of-heritability/#more-5129

3000 years of democracy makes you understand a thing or two about sustainable population. theirs probably 12 actual citizens in the entire country. yeah yeah we're all creatures of this earth but at the end of the day there's probably half that many that will ever read these words.

- 400 years of Ottomans that reduced cultural influence from the west to obscurity and leeched Greeks of their previously held power

- near wholesale annihilation of infrastructure and huge reduction of population in WW2 as a result of the nazi occupation

- bloody civil war with US intervention

- failed dictatorship

- having Turkey as its neighbor, who in quite recent times annexed part of Cyprus and forces Greece to direct a lot of spending to its military just to keep their expansionist tendencies at bay.

I'd say all of these are good enough excuse. And even then, what do you consider "low"? They are arguably some of the best educated Europeans around, just by judging from their STEM graduates and the brain drain going on which you can spot by checking for greek names in university faculties.

Their biggest problem right now is corruption of government and people exploiting the system and doing the same. Their second biggest problem is Europe not relieving part of their debt, even though literally everyone from economically uneducated to prize-winning economists to the IMF recommends that it should be, but Germany one the one hand holds double standards for different EU nations (for some reason doesn't favor Greece specifically), plus they want to wait for their own elections before they have any talks regarding the matter. So yeah, considering their recent history, I'd hardly say Greece is failed. Don't you ever wonder why the whole of the post-Ottoman region is a shithole?

>tfw no Marble Emperor

The biggest problem they have is that no one pays taxes. This got better since the crisis but the system is still broken. Also their education system is fucked. The teachers keep their students dumb during school so they pay for afternoon school.

That article doesn't address that, and do you seriously claim IQ is a poor metric with your >muh [thing I don't like]?