The fuck is this?

The fuck is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

corvetteonline.com/features/sema-coverage/sema-2013-a-visit-with-borla-brings-a-whole-new-sound-to-the-c7/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A muffler?

A turbo

Looks like someone's muffler bearings failed.

It's the exhaust tip for a 4 or 6 cylinder piece of shit. It's a single exhaust and they branch it out at the muffler to 2 exhaust tips to make it look cool.

A shrubbery.

But thats an alternator

>Subaru engineers spend millions of dollars researching and designing an engine, testing to find the optimum exhaust configuration that allows for maximum air flow without sacrificing back pressure, and determine that a y pipe/single cat/single inlet dual outlet muffler is the best performing configuration
>proceed to get BTFO by a bus rider on a Taiwanese rhythm game forum who doesn't know anything about mechanical engineering but watched a YouTube video about it once

>what actually happened
>1 intern does study on target demo (16-25 year old males) social media and finds they greatly favor dual outlets, but don't care about actual functionality
>1 into 2 it is

If that was the case, every car would have dual exhausts, don't you think? If it was free money, there wouldn't be any single exhaust car on the market.

Not every car is targeted towards boy racers, there's no reason to spend the extra 5 dollars a unit on a minivan to have dual exits. Small cost differences add up into huge amounts when a car company makes millions of units a year.

That configuration is nothing but restrictive. It's like that because normies see 2 exhaust tips and they think it has dual exhaust

So all those sports cars / "sporty" cars with single exhausts were just designed by idiots, huh? All those car manufacturers should hire you guys to design their cars. They probably lost trillions of dollars on the 16-25 year old make demographic because they made cars with a single exhaust outlet.

gas tank from a stratus

Which ones are those? Cars from this decade only, please.

Apparently they should hire you, since you figured out that one inlet into two outlets = more performance.

4 cylinder cars have no reason for dual exhaust. Dual tips is just for show.

Gasoline engines need some restriction to flow correctly. Dual exhaust firstly is extra weight, and second may even create a loss of pressure and the engine would actually make less power.

>bunch of """luxury""" cars have fake exhaust tips welded to the back so that the car looks fancier and more aesthetic for cheap
>leads to people in the demographic buying them cause it looks good
>but apparently a fake Y dual exhaust on 4banger "sports cars" isnt for show cause the ricer demo its appealing to apparently doesnt love having 20 exhausts on their cars
Please
One of the abarth 124 spider's talking points was having 4 fucking exhaust outlets on a god damn 4banger

There ended up being way more than I initially thought there would be, so I ended up not doing a comprehensive list. Maybe if I was autistic, I'd have the attention span to look it all up, but just off the top of my head, there's:
Ford Fiesta ST
Ford V6 Mustang
Chevy Sonic RS
Toyota Corolla S
Toyota Celica
Scion tC
Honda Civic
These are cars that are either sporty or have a sport trim, cars that would appeal to the coveted 16-25 year old male demographic, because we know how often they buy cars, and have a single inlet single outlet muffler.
There's a lot more if you care to look, but yeah, single exhausts are still very much in production. Guess Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, and Honda just don't know nearly as much about developing and advertising cars are you do.

None of those are sports cars

>cars that are either sporty or have a sport trim
I know this is Veeky Forums but learn to read.

It's a car egg. If you touch it the parents won't pick it up anymore.

Wait and see if they come back if not, just take it home, put it in a spare tire nest and keep it warm.

None of those are "sporty" They are shitboxes for normies.

>sporty
>adjective
>flashy or showy in dress or behavior
Seriously, what's your native language? It's obviously not English.

None of those are "flashy or showy" They are shitboxes for normies.

So you don't understand that being flashy or showy have nothing to do with performance? You don't know that a "sporty car" and a "sportscar" are different terms?
At this point I'm just trying to determine what you do actually know, because you don't know anything about cars and you struggle with the English language, I'm curious how you managed to wind up on an English speaking car forum.

>Miata
NC had fake duals, the ND got rid of it because autistic fixation on weight reduction.
>Ford Fiesta ST
Twin tips
>Ford V6 Mustang
Actually has dual mufflers
>Toyota Celica
Hasn't existed in over a decade
>Chevy Sonic RS
>Toyota Corolla S
>Scion tC
>Honda Civic
These are all literal shitboxes that don't even make half an attempt at being perceived as sporty in any way.

evo x or lancer ralliart rear muffler section

its probably that fucking RHD ralliart guy who's trying to become a meme

Did I miss something? Is calling sporty trims not sporty a new meme? They're still sporty. Like, the entire point of a sporty trim is that it's the same shitbox with flashy and showy stuff glued to it to make it look fast.
The Fiesta ST has what I said it had; single inlet and outlet. It doesn't have dual outlet. The tip doesn't affect performance.
And wouldn't the mustang having dual mufflers but one outlet basically prove the entire marketing angle completely wrong? It's got every reason to have dual exhaust, a V6 and marketed as a sporty car, why on earth would they make it with only one in the rear? Obviously, whatever the reason might be, it's not because dual sells better.

>Sporty trim
>Doesn't even include an appearance package
And you didn't even specify a trim for the tC or Civic.

Fiesta st has dual tip outs on the same rail

>The tip doesn't affect performance.
It has the same affect on performance as two separated outlets, and fulfills the same marketing purpose.
>And wouldn't the mustang having dual mufflers but one outlet basically prove the entire marketing angle completely wrong?
You can't buy an S550 with a single exhaust tip. The all have proper dual exhausts.

What is even the point of this? We simply proved to you that dual tips have no functionality and you're going on this autistic crusade to try and prove this list of cars are "sporty" Give it a rest.

A lot of new cars do have dual exhausts as at least an option, actually. I just like that they gave the 86 factory dual tips like that so fitting a proper dual exhaust doesn't look hodge-podged.

Do you just have a whole collection of parts pics on that poor fucking bush or what?

>What is even the point of this? We simply proved to you that dual tips have no functionality
Yeah, no one proved shit. I'm going to trust that professional engineers have, at the very least, a slightly better understanding on designing engines and exhaust systems than an anonymous on the internet.
The point was made that it's only done for appearances, but if that were the case, every car would have it. There's obviously some reason why some do and some don't.

There is no way a 2 liter boxer putting out 195hp will ever need dual exhaust. There are 1000hp Evos with a single pipe.

unless someone here has significant experience with fluid dynamics, you cant say with any authority that single tip exhaust > dual tip exhaust or vice versa.

evo 1-9's had singles. Evo x had duals. GDB series sti's had singles. GRB and newer sti's had quads.

Speaking generally, you could have the save volumetric capacity out of a single system with just bigger pipes. Fluid dynamics is a lot more than "MAKE IT BIGGER GUIZE!"

Nah dude trust me I watched engineering explained on YouTube so I know that dual exhaust literally does nothing IN FACT it's actually worse, that's why some cars have dual exhausts

The engineers do not have 100% say in designing the cars. Engineers build a car, send it in to corporate, then proceed to butcher the car to make it cheap as possible. Additions like fake dual tips is added because even though it may cost $5 extra per car, it may mean 10,000 more cars sold because retards like you think it's faster because of it.

Another way to prove this to you is you can buy any car straight off the factory floor and take it to a tuner shop, they will easily get you 15-20 more horsepower. A whole lot more with factory turbo cars because new cars are really dumbed down for cost savings and so retards can handle them.

The tips don't make much of a difference regardless of how many there are or how big they are. What matters is the 8-10 feet of plumbing in front of them. All the time, you see shitboxes leave the factory with a 1.75" exhaust pipe with a pair of 2.5" tips. That's proof enough that it's just rice.

The Evo X is slower than the Evo VIII and IX, the new STI is slower than the old STi's.

It's more because they are heavier but that was the most fucking stupid argument ever.

I was giving examples of similar cars that went from singles to dual/quads. I didn't feel that I was arguing for either side.

Might as well throw out that the GT-R has a single pipe at one point for the exhaust if people are talking from a performance standpoint.

pic related

And as stated before the tips are to sell for normies that think more tips=faster

Then how did the concept of more exhaust tips=faster even come to be? there's probably a good reason performance cars have more tips.

you're not better than a team of engineers.

Wait, so you're saying BMW engineers have no fucking idea what they're doing? They're a bunch of idiots having a bunch of extra pipes. Should have a Y connection in the front, single pipe running back and another Y to the dual rear mufflers.

Pic related 335i N54 exhaust

never heard of him...

Because of retards like you that's why. You are already stating you think more exhaust tips means faster and have no real reason other than "I see it on fast cars".

Here on this C7 Corvette you can clearly see 2 of the tips don't even get any exhaust soot, because they aren't even used.

Maybe the one in the center were cleaned??

on the flip side, why are true duals a thing?

Bunch of retards adding unnecessary weight with all of that extra piping and shit

pic related

I found aftermarket exhaust systems that are single pipe and advertise 40 pounds lighter than stock LMAO

Because it's hard to find clearance for a 4" single pipe all the way back.

The power gains outweigh the added weight on 8+ cylinder applications.

Since the C7 has an active fuel management system, the V8 essentially becomes a 4 cylinder engine with a V8 exhaust system. So, to prevent the poor sound caused by having an oversized system, Chevrolet added a valve in front of the factory muffler, basically reducing the volume of the system. The valve is electronically activated and very important to keeping the right sound throughout all driving conditions. In addition, C7’s equipped with the NPP option (Dual-Mode Performance Exhaust),

excerpt from sema 2013

Thanks for confirming they never get used and the "oversized" system is there to look cool.

>Cars from this decade only, please
Yeah, you push those goalposts, man. Doing a great job.

yeah, if you drive a corvette around in 4 cylinder mode all day.

the "oversized" system is there for when you're using all 8 cylinders. Can you even read?

You use dual exhaust for engines with two cylinder banks. Boxers have two cylinder banks. The use of dual exhaust allows for an H or X pipe and better flow. Amount of cylinders isn't super relevant. WRXs and STis ran single exhaust because of the unequal length headers they used. Since the GT86 cars don't, they will benefit from a dual system.

Back in the 50s, people didn't think more exhaust pipes were faster, they thought more tailfins were faster. So you saw more tailfins than exhaust pipes on most cars. If anything, the fact that sporty cars 15 or 20 or 30 years ago didn't have dual exhausts is proof that it's not a performance thing.

Clearly states its for sound, not performance. Yet again it's pandering to normies.

You realize that the GT86 has a single exhaust, right?

Or it's proof that they didn't have the technological knowledge then that we have today.

You're SUPPOSTED TO SAY the STI's have a single turbo so all 4 cylinders come together (probably 4-2-1 or 4-1) at the intlet to the turbo and have a single outlet from the turbo. No gains splitting that into 2 pipes without adding extra weight for minimal flow gains.

FRS/BRZ/GT86 benefiting from true duals? I don't think so. Its probably 4-2-1 headers, single pipe all the way back to a dual outlet muffler. Not unless its HEAVILY modified.

pic unrelated

They don't use unequal length headers, so the exhaust exits the headers at different points before joining. I'm saying a true dual system will benefit the gt86 twins if one is installed.

It's not a dual exhaust system, it's a single exhaust system that branches into 2 exhaust tips at the end

Yeah, they do't have true duals stock, but they would benefit from true duals, that's what I'm saying. I think STis have a 4-1 header system.

I am aware of that. My post before the one you replied to talked about it.

Its for sound when its in the 4 cylinder (MUH EMMPEEGEES) mode.

corvetteonline.com/features/sema-coverage/sema-2013-a-visit-with-borla-brings-a-whole-new-sound-to-the-c7/

I looked into it because I was curious about the differential pipe soot build up. Now I just think you're a damned fool.

Dead weight.
Is that what it is?

Aerodynamically designed cars for mass production date back to the 1930's. They were considered ugly by the masses and never sold well until pretty much the 1980's.

If only someone had realized in the 1950s that horsepower is directly proportional to exhaust tips. Can you really not bring yourself to comprehend that there are constraints other than cost and lap times for car designers?

>the airflow
>that cord 812
muh
dick

this