Mercedes to cut V6 production next year and introduce a new inline 6 series of engines to take it's place

Mercedes to cut V6 production next year and introduce a new inline 6 series of engines to take it's place

>408 hp stock
>battery operated turbocompressor creates instant torque with no lag
>starter built onto the rear of the crankshaft allows it to be counted as a "mild hybrid", negating displacement regulations in many countries
>no accessory belt required due to directly electrified accessories, leading to reduced length, allowing it to be put into compacts without negating balance

M256 is the new god engine.

jalopnik.com/mercedes-brings-back-the-inline-six-with-408-hp-and-mar-1788404634
blog.caranddriver.com/new-mercedes-inline-six-will-have-mild-hybrid-as-standard/

48V
V

Dumb as hell. Work on better batteries or use a "normal" engine and live with he already good fuel economy. We don't need a shitty combination of the two.

>German electronics
>adding 48v into the mix

wew. Grab some popcorn this is gonna be good.

I6 is back baby

too bad never a manual option

>a fucking electric motor assist on top of an electric compressor and no serpentine belt is dumb as hell

>German electronics
As long as it's not a VAG product the electronics should be fine. The only time I can think of where Mercedes was incompetent regarding this type of stuff anyways was when they had biodegradeable wiring in some of their models in the 90s but that was because of EU environmental laws, not poor design. I'm pretty sure these batteries are sourced from Tesla, Daimler has a partnership with them to produce electric drivetrain systems.

There is absolutely nothing dumb about this. Every single accessory and system of the car can be instantaneously re timed or tuned differently by the ECU creating more power and or efficient depending on the load. It makes the engine far easier to service too. Removing the turbos, pumps and other accessories now just involves unbolting it from the block and unplugging it. Electronic components are also generally less prone to failure.

>Mercedes doesn't offer manual transmissions

When did this meme start?

You're replacing a strip of rubber that lasts 200k+ kms with a bunch of electronics that are bound to fail and write off the car prematurely and the added weight of a bunch of batteries. All to gain a extra 1 mpg? Why?

Having the parts electrically actuated instead of mechanically means less drag on the engine and subsequently more power.
Since the computer can change the timing and output of the components constantly that means less wear on each component and more utility out of each.
On top of this it's likely going to get fuel economy similar to a small 4 cylinder engine while making 408hp, that's pretty fucking impressive and this is just the base unit, not a sport derivative.
Every single one of those components is already connected to the engines computer in a conventional engine, this simply adds an extra wire from each component to the battery and allows the computer to control the power and output of each accessory independently. This will have almost zero impact on reliability, and will actually probably make components last longer as they're only going to be putting out then minimum output required and stressed less. Also, no ruined engine if a belt fucks up.

when it's in a german car they will always find a way user

I'm driving a 17 year old Mercedes with 174,000 miles on it and haven't had any mechanical failures and I beat on it like hell.

Because they were a lot more simple and logical back then and actually engineered to last. It's different these days. Most luxury cars are leased so building a car to last and be reliable in the long run is uneconomical.

I'd say loss of focus on quality and substance for more focus on imagery is more true for BMW and Audi. Modern day Mercedes is still towards the top of the reliability spectrum, even though they did have a shit period in the early 2000s. My dad aslo has a 2010 E-class that he abuses to shit as well and he's only had problems with weird little plastic/rubber bits breaking on the sunroof. Nothing mechanical.

It will not have the fuel economy of a four cylinder engine while making 408 horsepower.

408 horsepower using unleaded petrol requires about 650 CFM of air at 1 Bar at ambient temperature if you use the standard of 1.6CFM per shaft horsepower. This must be matched with fuel to obtain the desired air/fuel ratio. As this unit has a turbocharger, it is likely that the engine will be somewhere around 11.8:1 to 12.0:1 when generating 408 shaft horsepower. This will require about 190 to 200 pounds per hour or 240G/KWh of gasoline flow assuming the engine has a BSFC of about .405 which would be common for this style combustion chamber.

Regardless of the hype, it will take approximately 650CFM of combustion air and 190Pound/min of gasoline to generate 408 shaft horsepower.

I am sure that this engine is very efficient at part throttle and will delivery four cylinder like fuel economy at cruise but at it's rated power it will be no more efficient than most pentroof four valve engines with mild camshafts and turbochargers.

There's an electric motor at the crank that replaces the starter/alternator; and powers the car for the intial 1/8th of pedal depression. This is why it's considered a mild hybrid. That's how it's achieving.

And do you believe that the engine will be generating 408 shaft horsepower in the first eighth of accelerator pedal movement?

There is an electric motor that delivers initial power output briefly as the internal combustion engine reaches target output. The electric motor does not appear to contribute to WOT power delivery, according to BMW media.

So once again, it requires 650CFM of air at ambient temperature at 1Bar with about 190pound/hour of gasoline flow to generate 408 horsepower in an engine with a Brake Specific Fuel Consumption of about .405.

>408 horsepower in an engine with a Brake Specific Fuel Consumption of about .405.
What units is that? lb/hph? kg/kWh? Some funky sort-of-metric German shit with PS?

>The electric motor does not appear to contribute to WOT power delivery, according to BMW media.

>Citing BMW data for a Mercedes-Benz engine.

Slip of the finger.

My mistake does not change the energy density of gasoline.

BSFC is a ratio of the rate of fuel consumption over the specific output. This will give you a value less than one. This value gives a snapshot into how efficiently an engine will convert the potential chemical energy of the fuel and oxidiser into mechanical energy. Lower is better.

Fuel flow as an SI unit is Grams per Killowatt Hour, or G/KWh. The non-SI measurement is flow over time, or pounds/hour, Litres/min.

literally a truck tractor ag engine

>It makes the engine far easier to service too. Removing the turbos, pumps and other accessories now just involves unbolting it from the block and unplugging it.
>Removing the turbos, pumps and other accessories now just involves unbolting it from the block and unplugging it.
>just unbolting it from the block and unplugging it

Mechanic here, guess how I can tell you've never worked on a modern vehicle?

>ITT
>A bunch of Luddite faggots who are afraid of electronics

I6 > *
Just saying.

> biodegradable wiring
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT THE FUCK

Jesus Christ what the fuck is going on with that iPad stuck onto a goddamn Koi pond looking holy fuck

New design must-have. Best when it's a touchpad, with all the delicious fingerprints.

This has a lot of potential. As long as it's durable and performs I think it will be very successful. My favorite feature is all this clever engineering that makes the i6 viable again and the next favorite is electrically augmented turbos. I hope they become aftermarket one day. Instant boost and throttle response is so appealing.

back then the whole Benz was biodegradable

>biodegradeable wiring

What the flying fuck?
> service tech sneezes
> wiring compromised by boogers
gg Mercedes

>All to gain a extra 1 mpg? Why?
Because government regs.

I know drag racers have used electric water pumps for this very reason.
The ability to tailor your parts' performance based on operating conditions is a huge advantage.
I can't wait to see what freevalveā„¢ technology will allow.

>no ruined engine if a belt fucks up.
That's only if the timing belt is a belt.

If course it's not going to be any better at full power. That's just a number that helps sell units anyway. And people will not really be revving their shit out. It's designed to be fuel efficient where drivers will spend the vast majority of their time. It's a non issue, idiot.

You're retarded. Refer to my previous post. And even if the electric motor doesn't contribute to peak power it doesn't make it useless for full throttle acceleration. It's called improved throttled response and torque fill. The P1 has used it successfully.

This. If you've ever been under a hood and did something you Will's know. Veeky Forums is so full of bench racers and arm chair mechanics it's pathetic.

BMW on suicide watch

Your post adds no new information of relevance.

Poofy hybrid plant or not, 650 cubic feet per minute of air matched with 190 pounds/hour of gasoline at .405 will put the engine at about 408 shaft horsepower.

If you could read, you dizzy cunt, at no stage have I given a single fuck about the part throttle economy except to point out how unrelated to this target output power. Fools in this thread believe that this engine will consume the fuel of a small four cylinder engine while developing 408 shaft horsepower.

Like it or not, this will not happen. Filling the low end power band with electric propulsion does not change the energy density of gasoline and how much of this potential energy will be required to generate 408 shaft horsepower.

I think you said it best when you describe most of this board as armchair mechanics and bench racing hacks. Please add yourself to this list you pompous shit.