How to Start a Startup

I've got a really good idea, what are the steps to becoming private jet rich?

internalise this

there, you're done.

see ya later

Fuck yes!

Next step is to break down the "execution" phase of your idea, and find the actions in that process that you can seize upon immediately.

Let me know if you need somebody to work with ! im ready to grind

OP here, Definitely. I need a way to stay accountable. I really want to see my startup through to the end but lately i've been lazy as fuck.

Are you talking about Online Startup ?

Do you masturbate?

Yeah, a startup in the healthcare space.

>but lately i've been lazy as fuck.
Your first order of business is to change that.
Once you get into the habit of using your time more productively then you can start actually making progress on making your startup happen -- I assume the next step is the research stage, you want to understand who your customer is, price point (if that's relevant), the "customer journey", you know the process from first exposure of your product which might be a google ad, all the way to when they finally take action. Earmark potential competitors: see what they do well, where you can improve. Look at how much investment capital you may need, start contacting contractors -- call up hosting companies, web developers, start getting quotes, advice, see if there's a cheaper easier way of executing what you want.
BUT FIRST. End this lazy phase.

Own some sort of product
Sell said product

Some people buy data, some people have software, whatever. My only advice for selling software is learn to MEF or some sort of dependency injection. This way every client has a different set of features, if your software binaries are floating around the internet you'll narrow it down to two or three clients. Otherwise, you need to deploy web service. If you own data or were smart enough to deploy over the web, which means you own the binaries, then you'll probably need people around who can maintain those binaries since unlike selling software when there are bugs you can't just release it and say "tough, pay me more money to fix bugs."

Selling data is surprisingly easy, just advertise for Microsoft access experience and VBasic skills. Getting the connections for the data people will pay for samples of is another question.

Your idea is probably shit as most ideas are. Yet you won't tell anyone because you are too afraid someone will steal it. In reality ideas are everywhere and very people have the will to execute them, including you.

Trips of truth

I've done the research, I have a fair bit of work/school experience in this space so I know who the major players are, what the major pain points are, who the potential users are, etc. I've compiled all that into a rough business plan and started making wireframes for the web app.

The only problem is that I am learning how to code to build it myself. I'm just having a really hard time staying motivated when I have to do everything myself. I've looked for devs but I haven't found someone who is interested.

> implying i'm one of those leddit noobs

I have no problem sharing. One of my friends was in nursing school and told me that a lot of the skills that they needed to learn were being taught through Youtube videos. A lot of these videos were outdated as fuck and there is a high demand on newer, better quality videos.

This application works like a Lynda for healthcare professionals. Basically, clinician skills are uploaded and updated on a regular basis to ensure that they are showing best practice. Colleges and Universities then pay a yearly fee to access the library.

There is another revenue stream that specifically targets hospitals, retirement homes, and community centers, but it'd be too long to describe here.

Programmers aren't very hard at all to find. You could start by looking right here in this board: If that isn't good enough, go to Fiverr, or any of those dumb *academy.* websites. You're bound to find at least one programmer, but more likely, you'll be knee-deep in interested parties.

That is, unless you're looking for devs who will work in exchange for wishes, promises and words, rather than cash. In that case, it's no wonder that nobody is interested.

Thats going to be hard to capitalise.

Better go back to the drawing board IMO.

have a brilliant idea and do half-assed execution and still make 20 grand.

>I'm just having a really hard time staying motivated

There's a trick for that. Leave me an e-mail address and I'll sell it to you for $10

You can't do the app unless you've never coded before, it's way too hard, and it will be way to low in quality

Hire someone to do a website of your idea then develop an app from it (less expensive) you need someone who knows html/css/php/javascript/ajax
Hire them by the hour or make a price for your site and hire someone on peopleperhour or similar websites

If you don't put money down, you'll never get this idea working

I know a guy who soon will release a platform for selling instructional video packages for all kinds of studies. He leaves the creation of videos up to someone else, and takes a margin out of all the video creators earnings from sales..

Here is a question of execution, what about time?

Doing things yourself, Hey great, you just cut your expenses down to minimal or nil. But unless you are a machine, how are you to take care of all the tasks to make a product with out employees? And since your product is in development, what happens when things go south due to, lets say, one taking off due to maternity leave and the other one with a failing mother board? This is an example of when tools break or your people leave.

Again you are a start up, you have no capital, and you just began to execute your idea. How do you compensate time or find those willing to work with out a paycheck every week?

I got a weak idea with no execution

where's my dollar

It was actually an awful idea. Now you give me my dollar.

You find capital.

> How do you compensate time or find those willing to work with out a paycheck every week?
No, you pay them.

Because unless you're David Koresh or Robert Friedland (Steve Jobs fans know who I'm talking about) no one is going to work for you for free. And let's face it, most of Veeky Forums is generally too NEET or Autismo to have that amount of charisma and persuasion.

That's why you need an amount of capital sufficient to execute your idea.

Now, I'm not knocking skillful delegation: the ability, especially in the early days of a startup to handpick a team of people who not only can do the job, but will take pride in the company to help it grow is a huge part of good execution. But you need capital to get you to that point.

That's the blessing about how cheap ideas are, if you're idea is too expensive, scale it down or think of another one.

As long as your friend knows his idea isn't new and theres already sites 'like youtube but with tutorials' that people sign up to pay for lessons in whatever they want to learn (the videos are supplemented by PDF learning packs and other stuff to to help the person learning)