If I cut the sway bar brackets off the front side of a solid front axle and moved them approximately 6 inches back to...

If I cut the sway bar brackets off the front side of a solid front axle and moved them approximately 6 inches back to the rear side of the axle, but moved the sway bar frame mounts the same 6 inches back, would geometry be affected?
Keep in mind the sway bar itself is not modified.

Also, would changing the dimensions of the bracket affect anything? (i.e. if the sway bar mounted to the bracket at a different distance from axle center would it change the size of the lever arm or anything like that)

Here is an illustration to help, looking from above.

Why would you change it?

that isn't important

If the swaybar links are still fastened to the original eye in the swaybar, then no. It won't change anything. Otherwise I have no idea how you intend to mount the links.

Yes it is.

Why are you doing this?

thanks
because

You've got a shorter arm in the bottom picture. The sway bar would have to go to the other side of the axle to maintain the stock geometry.

You're changing the moment upon which the force of axle articulation is acting on the bar- From your rough drawing, you'd be essentially cutting the leverage on the bar in half and proportionally reduce its effective spring rate. So say that bar was rated to exert 100 lbs of force at so much rotation in stock configuration, in your modified version it'd now exert 50 lbs of force at that same rotation.

What a fag

>would geometry be affected?

Of course it would. The arc length is being shortened, so there will be less force developed. That distance from the axle is important and your picture shows you are reducing it by half. The lateral grip of that car will be reduced.

Since winter rains are coming, and TV dramas are starting up, are you planning to do this quick mod to someone else's car? Your secretiveness suggests you want to fool someone into taking a tight turn and the changed car will understeer right off the edge of the road and fall down the canyon, rolling and rolling. The car finally catches on fire and the driver dies and you stand to inherit all the assets because now your brother has died leaving you the only surviving offspring in the family. Now, I can understand why you are so secretive about your reasons to mod this car to have unexpected amounts of understeer that fools the driver accustomed to a different driving response in the winter rains.

its my own car and i don't want to explain myself because its complicated and truly not relevant to the question. Who races cars with a solid front axle anyways.

What wasn't clear with my diagram is what the orange piece was. This represents the solid bracket that is welded to the axle, i.e. not part of the sway bar. The sway bar in both scenarios is precisely the same unit. Since the orange piece is rigid with the axle, and the axle moves up and down as a unit, it is my belief that it doesn't matter where it is located front to back. Obviously I am not confident with this conclusion so I made this thread.

So why are you doing it?

to be able to move the steering box up in response to an over the knuckle track bar conversion and maintain stock geometry of the drag link and pitman arm, and also gain axle and ground clearance.

I won't elaborate any more so don't ask

Ask your boyfriend

Just get rid of the sway bar, it won't do shit on your slammed Mexican truck anyway

its a currie antirock so i prefer to keep it but thanks anyways

Hang it on your wall then

It's his highly guarded racin secret.

You should be able to find some aftermarket adjustable endlinks. I put new shocks on my IS300 and had a hard time reattaching the swaybar because the shocks are slightly shorter than the OEM. Gonna have to buy some shorter or adjustable links. But the aftermarket parts are just stupid expensive

>$300 for front and rear adjustable swaybar links

Would that cause the sway bar's harmonic oscillations to be distorted by the readjusted inertial moment, causing a breakdown of the base purpose of the overall system geometry?

you dont even know what you just said

What is the green piece?

what are you installing a homemade turbo and the sway bar is in the way? Be honest.

Honestly there should be no difference in flipping the sway bar dont listen to these faggots. Take it off, rotate it 180 degrees, make new mounts where it attaches to the frame. Links are ball jointed so they should twist the other way just fine to where they attach to the lower arm.

I hope your idea backfires and you crash.