Absolute cheapest to get a car

I'm broke as fuck and it's time I start hunting for a car again after my last one went missing.

What attributes should I look for and how much should I expect to pay for a car with the cheapest upkeep cost.

Manual Transmission? Does getting one keep drivetrain maintenance and repair costs down? Is it still worth it even if I have to learn to drive one? Should I expect to fuck up the clutch doing so?

CraigsList. How the fuck do I navigate this clusterfuck? It's flooded with backyard dealers, and garbage that should probbaly be in a junkyard. Should I be looking at higher priced vehicles and attempt to negotiate down?

Mileage. How many miles should I expect to drive these? Many of the vehicles i'm seeing in the sub 2K category are approaching or over 200,000 miles.

I live in the Metro Detroit area if that helps :/

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=40292&endYear=2017&modelCode1=SWIFT&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=SUZUKI&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=100&mmt=[SUZUKI[SWIFT[]][]]&listingId=424063884&hideBackLink=true&Log=0
capecod.craigslist.org/cto/5851781240.html
detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5859687603.html
detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5857353633.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, there is much less to fail in a manual. No maintenance necessary minus fluid changes every 30-60k and clutches when they wear out. Unless the clutch is already on its last legs you're unlikely to fuck it up to where it's undriveable learning. What wears clutches out is slipping so unless you hold the clutch pedal in the middle for an extended period of time you're not gonna hurt it.

Don't worry about stalling, it doesn't hurt anything and everyone stalls while learning. Hell it even still happens to experienced drivers occasionally.

Autos can be finicky, especially if you get a bad one that wasn't maintained. Fluid changes every 30k and make sure they're topped off regularly, and that the fluid isn't dark/black and/or smells burnt.

Cars around 200k are more than likely going to need lots of things. The hooptie lifestyle is a special one, if you don't care about the car and keeping it for a while, find one that works/doesn't need much, drive it until it breaks, and buy another for less than it would cost to fix it.

Don't only stick to craigslist, there are other websites you can watch too to find exactly what you want such as autotrader or cars.com.

you can get an alright F150 or ranger or S10 or any american sedan from the 80's or 90's for less than a grand easy depending on where you are.

In detroit you just need to avoid buying from a melanin enriched man of the community.

I would agree worth kit Kat on this. If you don't mind a bit of a drive there are loads of cheap cars in Ann Arbor.

You can change settings in CL to owner only and search for specific transmissions. After that it's just an issue of finding ones that aren't too rusted out or beat to hell.

serious? thats literally 80% of the population there.

well I am being facetious. it's all about how the previous owner took care of it.

>Blacks doing anything outside of washing the exterior and polishing the wheels

buy a tdi, they last forever and never die

>tdi
>for 2k
>in detroit
go be yurop somewhere else

>it's all about how the previous owner took care of it.

This
>tfw got gifted a 95 chevy k1500
>tfw about to hit 300,000 miles
>tfw she is still going strong

love the machine and it will last for about near forever.

just buy a piece of shit saturn. maybe like a cheap as dirt ion. i recommend saturns because nobody really goes out looking for a used saturn anymore. checking craigslist in my area and they are some of the cheapest cars.

full disclosure i beat the living fuck out of my ion redline daily. im learning stick on it and i've been daily-ing it for about 3 weeks now. hardest part are hills and getting out of first gear while your left leg is still learning.

alternatively, neons are extremely affordable shit boxes.

>k1500
pls b RCSB

>Hills
>Michigan
Well thank fuck those don't much exist here.

I'd look for a Toyota Tercel or Corolla from the mid 80's-mid 90's. The Tercels had a four speed manual transmission and are complete bare bones cars. Great for somebody on a tight budget.

Also the Geo Prizm is good bet because it was really a rebadged Corolla. Don't get a Saturn, they are pieces of shit.

i have seen very usable first gen ford focus for

in actual detroit yeah. not metro detroit (well, some sectors are still) but metro is where the whites fled to when the nignogs came

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=40292&endYear=2017&modelCode1=SWIFT&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=SUZUKI&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=100&mmt=[SUZUKI[SWIFT[]][]]&listingId=424063884&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

Given what this guy is asking would it be worth trying to go through the red tape necessary to get this thing registered?

Call your local DMV and ask what it takes to register a Canadian car.

ya don't say......

Fortunately you live in Michigan and MI gives zero shit about what they let on the road. As Canada does not use a title system for cars afik, you will need to fill out an application of title form.

The process should be fairly easy, and fairly cheap since the car is only $500. The people at the SoS are far more helpful than most people make them out to be.

>source
>got this shitbike registered as road legal

Yeah, my experience with people at the SoS, they're willing to help.

Yes, Canadian cars don't use titles, but in order to get one the vehicle still has to have been imported in order to get registered.

The bigger problem is just ensuring the vehicle was properly imported, which at its worst for a Canadian car may require asking for a letter from the manufacturer stating it conforms with DOT and EPA standards provided the vehicle isn't "Substantially Similar" to one sold in the US,

It's a customs thing, and without it you don't got the papers you need to get a title.

Nothing says "rolling poverty" quite like a dodge neon

I refuse to buy pre 06 dodge anything. Too easy to get stolen... twice...

>street legal 2 stroke
sounds fun as fuck

>It's flooded with backyard dealers
Please take the effort to flag dealers who claim to be private parties. They also include tow yards and shops selling lien cars.

GEO

METRO

Holy fuck you're hopeless.

Police auction

I walked away with a 98' plymouth in fantastic condition for under $200 because it smelled like Satan's asshole

Six hours of cleaning later I have a perfectly functioning car that cost me about the same amount as the stereo I put in it.

brave man

Thanks! I sure feel that way. This is the first time i've had to hunt for a vehicle on my own.

I know there are alot of ways to fuck up buying a used car. Even moreso when you're strapped for cash. So, yeah :/

Is it bad that I like the way the 2 door models look of those things, same with the Trackers.

capecod.craigslist.org/cto/5851781240.html

poorfag here, is '99 saab 9-3 gud shitbox?

no. get something domestic, japanese or korean

There are plenty of Saturns with 300k+ around here.

Detroit has awesomly low prices compaired to other areas of the country. This is for a very good reason, though. : Rust, fender benders, and nignogs.

As stated before, don't buy a car from a nignog. They seriously dont check their oil or do any maintenance to their rides aside from washing and spraying their wheels with wax.

Beaters in michigan are also rusting out. Make sure to inspect the frame and especially the shock towers for serious rust. Ive seen nigs use 2x4's and wedge them between the shock towers and the tops of their trunks to keep the shocks from shooting out. And they were sold by DEALERS. Stay away from grand prix's esp.

Most cars that will be in your price range will have been involved in an accident at some point in time as well. Keep an eye out for obvious signs, replaced fenders/doors, steering wheel that rests at an angle, etc. Avoid wrecked cars if possible.

Ive had great luck with all my CL beater Hondas. My advice would be to look for a 90's accord. Not many people mod or rice them, you can find decent cars that were owned by a family and might have been decently maintained. As long as the engine runs well you should have relatively little problems and they honestly do last forever if you don't beat on them and keep the oil clean. You can get a nice one between 1-2k.

detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5859687603.html

Cars like that. Id honestly take a look at the 97 if I was you

older trucks are cheap

I had an Isuzu 5-speed I learned on for a few years

not too bad, just check how the clutch is and whether it is running right.

#detroit. Wewlad. Kill all the blacks. Pay under a grand for stolen hoopty and ssil to plains of cuck cars. Mass production any is wtf u need

Ironically enough, I actually have a POS Saturn for sale, AND I live in Michigan.. but on the other side of the state.

Best bang for your buck: get a manual and a simple shitbox where you can do almost any repair on it with basic tools.

Manual transmissions are more reliable over than autos. All my cars have been manual and I did my clutch (factory too) at 109,000. The only way you're gonna fuck up a manual is if you grind gears, dump the clutch/launching it all the time, and slipping it. Stalling is not gonna hurt the car or tranny at all.

Craigslist is a dumpster fire but a few gemstones can be found. Every person I know including myself who has bought cars off craigslist ended up with retarded amounts of repairs... Shop very wisely. Ask your local mechanic if he has a running shitbox in the back of his shop (you might be surprised here)

Stick with a Geo or Jap econoshitbox.

go back to /pol/ you fucking racists

Whatever is least likely to get stolen.
Cheaper insurance too

All of Veeky Forums is racist, deal with it or >>>/reddit/

Being a UKfag I'm reading this and I don't see the problem. How big is michigan ffs?
>Look it up.
>Same size as the UK.
Damn murrica you BIG.

check wrecker auctions and look for arrest vehicles

Auto enthusiast are more aware of racial crime patterns because their cars are more exposed to street level crimes.

Oh fuck off m8, just because we say nigger without reservation doesn't mean we all want to join your fucking reich