So I got a speeding ticket today...

So I got a speeding ticket today. Is it worth fighting if the cop claims he clocked me then only gave me the speed he had to reach to catch up to me? Ticket says he estimated the speed so it'd be my word against his if he claims that he didn't say that he clocked me.

fight that shit, dress nice, arrive early, and speak to the judge in a very formal, polite manner.

if you have previous tickets recently youre basically fucked tho

No.

Also that's called a few different things, they call it "tracking" here. Police car speedometers are certified and they can "track" you or fallow you at the same speed your going and issue you a ticket for that speed

First ticket.
It was in Mass.

90% of the time the cop won't even show up to court. Take a day off work, go to your court date, and you'll be let off when the cop no shows.

Depends on which city, county, state, and country you were in when you got the ticket. Traffic laws and jurisprudence aren't universal.

It's the beginning of the month, so they're not concerned about meeting quota yet.

If you fight it, 90% chance cop no shows and you win by default.

>my word against his
In general, the officer's testimony is considered to be the true version of events. Only if there are some extenuating circumstances that prove the officer could not have seen what he says occurred would his testimony be considered inaccurate. Sometimes, such as in Indiana after an Indiana supreme court ruling, the officer's testimony is even considered as more true than a video of the same event.

Hm. The ticket doesn't even have an estimated speed I was going at. That part is left blank.

>be american, score 89 on an IQ test, job prospects are shit
>become cop
>everything i say is truth
>don't need to be smart
>can fuck people over at will

>fight a cop
>get shot

such is life in america

That's bullshit, in most jurisdictions nowadays cops get paid OT to go to court.

Whereabouts in Mass?

>mfw there are other massfags on here

I drove my motorcycle from Lowell to Wareham on 495 averaging 110mph multiple times. Never had an issue

>cop coming opposite way down the road
>see him uturn
>Im doing 15 over
>gives me ticket
>ticket says the cop was stationary and observed my speed on radar as I went by him
>have it all on my dashcam
>lawyer got ticket dismissed for $50

Hire a traffic lawyer and contest the ticket. If you represent yourself, you will lose. If you hire a lawyer, you will win (Assuming the police officer didn't trick you into incriminating yourself during the stop). Even if he did, a lawyer will still be able to get it reduced to non-traffic.

>it'd be my word against his
You'd lose in my state as the court considers a police officer's version to be the official version UNLESS you can prove otherwise. You cannot treat it like a parking lot or running the stop sign collision where you claim innocence and get away with it.

There are some states however, that for the case of traffic tickets, do require the officer to show proof of speeding and do not accept only the officer's word that speeding occurred. So if the officer doesn't show an electronic or printout record from that time, your challenge would probably be accepted by the judge in those states unless the judge disliked you due to prior speeding tickets.

There's also the many situations where it backfires. The officer may have accumulated multiple speed recordings. But he chose the lowest speed one to give you the ticket. If you challenge, he can whip out the highest recording and have the judge amend the case in light of that new evidence that the officer was giving you a break but you are not grateful. So now you get the highest speeding ticket as the evidence is now presented to the judge.

24 North

It says estimated and he left how fast he thought I was going blank. It doesn't even say he has a radar read out.

then you can use that to your advantage

how does he even know how fast I was going? How can he possibly estimate my speed to a certain number when he has no proof?

No, change your court date.

A Police Sergeant told me to get out a ticket from a city cop.

Cops schedule all there tickets on the same day, and are given that day to show up in court, by changing your court date he has to go to court on his day off, or get permission to be off the road by his Sergeant for a single ticket. Which usually both of those are a no go for the cops.

As such he doesn't show up for your changed date, and you get out the ticket cause right to face accuser.

Try getting date on friday

It was a state trooper. Does that make a difference?

Nope, Just make sure to change your date, twice if you need too.

Ironically that what a lawyer also does to get out the ticket, pretty much showing up every day asking for a continence intill the cop isnt there, usually the second day.

>Get caught speeding
>Cop allowed to speed behind you as much as he wants

America

>how does he even know how fast I was going? How can he possibly estimate my speed to a certain number when he has no proof?
Officers actually have training classes for this and have to show a proficiency in estimating speed within so many mph in order to get the certification.

Honestly it's not that hard to do. If you watch traffic for even a little while you can pretty easily tell who's well above the normal speed. With some feedback from something like a radar gun you can fine tune that down to a few mph range in only a couple hours.

This, I have a good handle of all the sideroads and alternate routes to get to work and have never had a ticket.
I regularly see the cherry lights but never get pulled over.

If you think that isn't an accomplishment the police have Charger Hellcats and other High trim V8 cruisers out here, and I am only rocking a 142 horse shitbox.

>the police have Charger Hellcats

ya just like they have those supercharged crown vics

I live in a very wealthy county, the police have ditched all but a few of their vics and have gone full retard with buying Dodge Chargers and Durangos.
There is no doubting an SC whine when one is right next to you.
It might have been a seizure, because heroin and oxy is in vogue with wealthy mommies.

It depends. Most cops couldn't be fucked to go to court unless he's the kind of person that purposely wants to go to collect OT pay. In your case you might have a chance. My cop friend got the ticket he wrote up dismissed because he never clocked an exact speed with a radar gun or whatever.