Methanol Injection

Uncle has a 3 series BMW with a twin turbo I6 (can't remember exact specs). He wants more power, but all ready has full exhaust/intake and a dyno tune. I was wondering how big of a difference methanol injection would make?

My thoughts are that a post turbo meth injector would lower intake temps and allow tor more oxygen in the intake charge. Additionally the methanol would raise the effective octane of the combustion charge and allow for a more aggressive timing curve/more boost without running into detonation problems. Does anybody have experience with this?

Wow, look at the water distort. That's a crazy picture.

You're asking the wrong forum for one.

It really won't be significant as the n54 doesn't heatsoak too badly. If he really wanted to see power gains he should just hook up a 150 shot of nitrous oxide. They can take it.

It's probably the same twin scroll i6 used in the 135. Exhaust, intake, and a tune is about as good as you can make those things without seriously fucking about with it.

If you want to make it faster, buy a faster car

Up the PSI and switch to a big single turbo

Trade it for a camaro ss

Ran methanol on some Turbo Regals and by itself the methanol doesn't do much but what it does do is allow increases in boost and timing which is where the power is made. Systems used were Razor's and Devils Own.

In general, on pump premium I could only run about 12psi and 18 degrees of timing before knock would start registering. Using methanol I could run 18 psi and 23 degrees without knock. Well worth the install.

yeah, if you read my post more boost and timing was what I was hoping to get out of the meth kit.
What were the overall power gains?
how did you determine when/how much meth to add? Boost reference?

I initially encouraged him to go with a small wet shot system running Q116 off of an independent auxiliary fuel supply system, but he doesn't want to run NO2, thinks it will blow his motor up.

we thought about that, but then we realized that we enjoyed being able to see out of the windows.

Different dude, but I use an older Snow Performance water/meth kit on my turbo diesel. I go through so much usually I just mix methylated spirits 50/50. Big difference in power delivery and the charge air is cool as.

This kit just uses a progressive boost controller with hysteresis adjustment. Set the pressure for injection start and injection full, works well and has been super reliable.

Love that shit.

Tell him he's a pussy. A 150 wet shot is nothing for the n54. If he really wants meth, tell him a larger turbo and intercooler setup is in order first.

Yeah I bounced out before the last line lol

Anyway, this was about a decade ago now ad memory is hazy regarding actual power numbers since that was only one afternoon at a dyno versus literally months of horsing around having fun on the backroads tweaking this and that and racing but I want to say 80hp feels right. Took the car from the mid 500's to a bit over 600hp.

Both of those systems were boost referenced using a GM 3-bar MAP sensor but you still had to dial in at what boost it started (about 8 psi in my case) and the boost at which it reached full flow (about 12psi). AKA the ramp rate.

Cool, 50-100 extra horses was what I was hoping for. How fast did it go trough methanol?

A gallon would last a month of weekends of heavy use easy so it wasn't that bad.

Oh and early on we used denatured alcohol because you can get that shit everywhere and it was endlessly amusing to make a power run and have the whole car briefly smell like whisky.

lol, i will keep that in mind.

See outside to look at the back of a Camaro.

E85

don't you have a bus to catch?

There neat pictures from different angles showing the bow wake as the ship goes sideways when the guns fire. But the most amusing thing is one of those PC game simulators has sailors walking around on the upper decks when the guns fire.

Iowa class was fuck huge. A 16-inch shell weighs the same as a 90s civic.

>methanol
Is it running 40psi yet?

If not, fuck off and add boost

Part of the dyno tuning WAS adding boost. That little motor is getting pushed about as hard as it can go on pump gas. If you read my post we are not trying to run the car on methanol, we just want to ad a post turbo methanol injection system to cool the intake charge and fight detonation.

These are the individual grains of gunpowder used by those shells.

Experiment with blending e85 before using methanol.

Its a good crutch to get out of full bolt on hell (400whp) but you dont wanna bust out cash for a turbo change or a methanol set up.

Faster car? Its gonna be hard to find a faster car with some real management a single turbo swap and some port fuel injection. This is a car you mod and then it goes fast. It puts out token numbers stock but the beauty is in the build.