/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

ded general edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository#64.C3.9764
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Technical_tricks#Settings_-_init.txt
acm.jhu.edu/~bjr/fedora/dwarffortress/dwarffortress.repo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

By dick or by pick, let us dominate the world.

Man this general is dying apparently. But the next update will probably save it.

Damn adventure mode is tight.
Why would I build anything though.

To live innawoods.

But why live innawoods if I can't slay demons and be a cool nigger

We're all dying.

Scamps included.

Why do the two preclude each other?
They don't.

.42 didn't help any. If anything we got slower.

Sorry I was away from the holidays.
I will do something.

>that bebopping goblin
You know, Skipbop almost sounds like a goblin name.

That's a very nice suit.

There's a tiny indicator in the top right corner of the screen showing the current phase of the moon. Werecreatures transform when it's full.
Those dwarves are going to survive forever in that closet, by the way. The transformation resets their bodies, which includes their hunger counters.

He should build a lever room there and fully mechanize his fort. That's some goddamn luck to have a room full of tireless, sleepless, immortal lever operators

Got this the other day and thought it's kinda funny, so I'll post it.

faggot killed 6-7 of my guys, turned back into a human and fled before I had any chance to send someone to deal with him.

they can still go mad from the boredom

is that iron AND kaolinite on the same embark? damn...

eh, build them a couple of statues then

I remember a similar thing happened to me, except only one of the weredwarves survived. I locked her in a hole with a bunch of gates attached to levers, which connected to rooms with furniture. Whenever I noticed it was getting close to that time of the month, I would burrow her in the empty room and seal it. When she was normal she had a whole minifort to herself, with a bed, chest (with clothes), a workshop, a weapons rack and a small shrine to pray at.

Even with all this, she was unhappy. Separated from her children and family, living in complete isolation. I let her out one day, undid all her labours and let her roam the fortress, chatting with people, seeing what they had built while she was confined. She even watched her children play, and breathed the outside air before I burrowed her inside again.

Later, the whole fort died to a forgotten beast. I had the last survivors open her up and give her freedom. She stayed in her cell, and the rest of the dwarves died. Finally while the beast was rampaging close by, she happened to transform and rush out. I expected her to die, but I guess it had been weakened, because she managed to kill.

I cant even imagine the feeling of regaining consciousness, fb blood covering you, naked, and everyone you've ever known, and all the freedom you've never had, destroyed.

I abandoned that fortress and only played adventure mode for a while, but I never found her.

Wherever she is, I hope she found peace.

Not only that, but the first cavern is full of marble and gold.

Also full of troglodytes, and now I got like a shitload of them caged.

How do I use them for Dwarf purposes?

Pit battles

Training dolls. Equip your dorfs with nothing but robes and training weapons, chain the trogos and attack them

Won't work with werecreatures. They can topple buildings.

relax
We've been dying for so long that we are inmortals

Great summary of the last thread

Toady is a lazy incompetent shit. He will take two years to update the game again.

I'll post bote until toady adds botes and we can have real fishing in the game

post forts

I'd be fine with that, if Toady updated his dev log a bit more often. I miss when the reports were daily.

whats the best way to learn new facts about animals?

Why robes? If they're wearing armor, won't they get armor user training as well?

because followers of the path don't wear armor. They fight naked .

w-which path? I'm new to dorf fort

fuck off with your memes. we'll have it by the end of the year

so glad you followed this draw request Drew
bretty lewd

>he doesn't know about the path
I hope you may one day embrace combat as you now embrace traps and bridges.

why

Tell me about the -(*path*)-, sempai

>mfw reading through the dev goals for the magic arc

playing with/killing and disecting them

just train

so, my ranger went missing for a week. after a bit of searching i found his corpse up in a tree alongside a giant one humped camel skeleton

wad the fug

Something spooked him and he climbed up a tree. The spookiness subsided, and in his unspooked state, he was unable to path back down.

Toady's coding skills and pathing logic at work. Toady should be gassed

>goblin's in range
>don't attack
>ever

how big is your population? in vanilla, they won't even consider you as a target until you have 80 dorfs.

even after reaching 80 dorfs, you may have to wait a year or two, but they should come. the bug that delayed sieges in 0.40 has been fixed for almost a year now.

>There's people who don't drop sieges to 20 dwarves

Well, ever since joint damage was introduced, I have found sieges to be MUCH harder. The old combat system, where deflected shots or bruises didn't cause any damage, favoured the lone legendary militiadorf. The new system with joint damage, however, makes it easier for one of the many attacking gobbos to incapacitate your legendary soldiers with lucky hits.

How do I do that?

Too early bump for bump bump.

Is there magic in this game yet?

nope
Only necromancers and rng curses when toppling statues on temples

Well, a bit. There are the secrets of life and death you can learn.
More coming "soon". The release underway will make artifacts a bit more interesting, and the big one after that will introduce a procedural creation myth generator which will add some magical stuff I think.

Edit the gob civ in the raws

can't bump the plump

>captcha: NOBLE HA

>20
>not 7
>not raising invader cap to 500

20 is the lowest

>frownanon
How did you know?

I started the game after a bit of a break, but it seems to have deleted or my saves r something
Any clue why this happened and how to get them back?

my interpretation is that that's two guys fighting over which one gets to pull the lever

2ez
post more

nonsense, they're praising the baldpillar of eagles

I've installed fedora 25 on my laptop and it runs great.
I installed dwarf fortress, but the text is really small (got a 3200*1800 screen). I can not zoom in any further. What's a good tileset to use for high dpi?
How do I disable aquifers on world creation?
How do I disable the intro video?
How do I enable seasonal save?
How do I install therapist or DFHack?

Looks to me like the priest of one deity is attempting to prevent the toppling of a statue by the priest of a different deity. The bone scepter and the bird-foot staff look like ceremonial paraphernalia.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository#64.C3.9764

You don't, you have to edit the raws.

They're both as easy to install as DF. Just unzip a folder and run the binary. DFHack require further configuration depending on what you want it to do. The rapist isn't updated to the latest version, and DFHack is still in alpha, but probably works fine. I don't know if the dfhack alpha is for available linux or not. Find it on github and see for yourself.

> tfw no big-tit punk gf

Aren't you happily married?

Except that slap animal woman and this punk girl, I thought Timbuk only drew males
If you read this, please draw something lewd please

> all the girls you meet are married
> or already have a boyfriend
> or are 10 years outside your age

also image related, basically except i don't buy useless cash-grab books

Am I the only one who bought "Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress" back when it was published? I thought it was fun at the time, but now I'm starting to feel like an idiot.

You bought it when it was published and you're only just now starting to feel like an idiot?

savage

I did it for the same reason that some people on Veeky Forums bought that Tundra book a few years back. It's a certain appeal to own a physical meme.

did you mess around in world gen, or is this a bug? nevertheless you should do some terraforming, could be a cool fortress if done some work.

doesn't it have some cool illustrations? that might make up for some of the retardation that is a physical guide book on a decades from done game.

>doesn't it have some cool illustrations
It has. I'm not sure whether they're exclusive for that book, though.

Both. I'm not on that embark, just a bizarre place I found last year while site hunting and kept a screenshot for posterity.
Also, terraforming doesn't mean what you intend it to mean in that sentence.

>one of my already legendary dwarves makes an artifact
>artifact is based on another dwarf in the fort whom he has no relation with what-so-ever, nor has ever met him

TOADY!

divine inspiration follows no law

>7 starting dwarves
>third month
>my miner becomes a queen
fuck

the dwarf is probably pregnant too

>manual labourers suddenly start claiming to be kangz n shiet and refuse to work
really makes you think

She'll still mine.

I had to make her a palace made of gold and platinum which skyrocketed my wealth. And I'm playing a fortress defense mod

Just gotta make the rooms huge, she'll also serve in the military.

>How do I disable aquifers on world creation?

Embark on aquifer, you coward! What are you afraid of?

I've got the game installed but editing the init.txt (/usr/share/dwarffortress/data/init/init.txt) file does not actually change anything.

I installed it using:

$ sudo wget -P /etc/yum.repos.d/ acm.jhu.edu/~bjr/fedora/dwarffortress/dwarffortress.repo
$ sudo dnf install dwarffortress

>What are you afraid of?
an actual challenge

>whom he has no relation with what-so-ever, nor has ever met him

He might be an admirer. It's possible to admire someone from afar.

literally not being able to dig _anywhere_

>not using a rocket made out of earth to strike the earth through the water

It was inevitable.

What is this magic you speak of.

sorry to bother you, I figured out what went wrong.

>you will never be a dwarven king
>you will never have a huge, warm room behind the lava forges
>you will never be fed to a forgotten beast because you wanted a nickel bed

why live

>not just embarking on a mountain, where all of the interesting ores and minerals are in the first place

The (((Elves))) are to blame for this. You should genocide them. Again.

lol haha

epik meme. i really like this meme haha lol

Believe it or not, some people simply dig a hole and build their fortress there, as if they're some sort of hobbit.

For a moment, I thought this was the crew from Return Of The Living Dead.

I totally have.