HOLY SHIT ELON MUSK BTFO

METALLIC HYDROGEN DISCOVERED AND SYNTHESIZED

>Harvard researchers have studied and observed solid hydrogen under pressure at low temperatures. With increasing pressure we observe changes in the sample, going from transparent, to black, to a reflective metal, the latter studied at a pressure of 495 GPa. They have measured the reflectance as a function of wavelength in the visible spectrum finding values as high as 0.90 from the metallic hydrogen. They have fit the reflectance using a Drude free electron model to determine the plasma frequency of 30.1 eV at T= 5.5 K, with a corresponding electron carrier density of 6.7x10^23 particles/cm3 , consistent with theoretical estimates. The properties are those of a metal. Solid metallic hydrogen has been produced in the laboratory.

>* they have made some metallic hydrogen and have it in a cryostat in liquid nitrogen
>* they might leave it under pressure and let it warm to room temperature or they could keep it cold and release the pressure
>* they are planning to test for high temperature superconductivity

>If it stays a metal at room temperature and after releasing pressure and was also a superconductor then it would be the holy grail of physics.

arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1610/1610.01634.pdf
nextbigfuture.com/2016/11/harvard-researchers-created-solid.html

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1hp8wo/what_would_be_the_effects_of_creating_a_room/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What would that mean for the automotive industry? Super efficient batteries?

nigga ion een know wat that means.

finna post about corvettes vs r35s doe

So instead of 3000lbs of lithium I need to carry around 3000lbs of liquid nitrogen?

wow such future!

theoretically 3 times energy density/kg with approx same volume

nigga speak english

More POWAH for less

As long as this results in elon hanging from a ceiling fan im all for it.

arent hydrogen cars still basically an electric car?

they can fuc right off m8, i need controlled explosions under my hood

>495 GPa
495 GIGAPASCALS
495,000,000,000 Pa
standard atmospheric pressure is 101,325Pa, so this is 4.8 million times atmospheric pressure

christ almighty that's some serious shit

also, don't expect it to remain metallic at warmer temps or lower pressures

hydrogen is still a meme except in fusion.

even then Helium 3 is better for fusion.

this desu

now if we were using hydrogen COMBUSTION that could be pretty cool

Veeky Forums has discussed this a bit. Veeky Forumstists are a bunch of mouthbreathing retards, and you aren't going to get much of a discussion here.

The thing I hate about people like Elon is how they have 0 objectivity

What I work on (lithium batteries) = best and everything is is fail (Toyota hydrogen fuel cell)

I can understand having passion for the field that you work in... But the second half is just not right...

Combustion engines are inefficient as fuck regardless of what you fuel them with. They're a bunch of metal scraping together, literally grinding it's self to death slowly.

Hydrogen fuel cells would almost make sense if they didn't weight so much and have shit power and range.

Shipping hydrogen is a PITA, it's pointless unless you use clean electricity to produce it which few places have.

they suggest otherwise in their paper

>This valuable
sample may survive warming to room temperature and the DAC could be extracted from the
cryostat for greatly enhanced observation and further study

it would be a useless phenomenon if it went back to plasma

what about a turbine as opposed to pistons?

been tried and failed a 1000 times over

It would be like having a big V8 in the same space as an I4

If gas turbines are good enough for tanks, they're good enough for me!

>room temperature superconductor

now THAT shit would be cool.

I dont understand the importance of a room temp super conductor.
Care to elaborate?

I know its reddit, but this thread sums it up nicely:

reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1hp8wo/what_would_be_the_effects_of_creating_a_room/

Reddit aside, that shit is fascinating.
Thanks for the info, a nigga learned something today.

The flow of electricity creates a ton of friction. This means heat and less efficiency. We can create a near frictionless environment but it requires liquid nitrogen and similar environments so really limited on uses at the moment.

all i remember about the drude model is that it was right for the wrong reasons, something about multiplying one number that was an order of magnitude too small by another number that was an order of magnitude too big.

also do you people realize how fuckhuge 495 GPa is. that's a million times more pressure than the normal atmosphere.

hydrogen fuel cells are full of fail though.

Toyota is going to make a battery EV version of the Mirai. Just to recoup the expense of developing a $60k corolla with special fuel.

>Combustion engines are inefficient

doesn't matter since currently nothing comes close to the energy density of gasoline

uhhh what is DIESEL?

uranium would like a fission with you

thats real punny

Glad I enriched your day

ehhe xd

It's like the rotary of batteries

so it'll be an unreliable battery that's powered by doritos and eats oil?

>this will ever be practically achievable for consumer use.
Next thread

Thanks for keeping prices down with your lack of knowledge! FUCK I'm so thankful people like you exist or the FD would be 40k

Turbine works but has poor emissions

This lol
Prices on FD in my area are gutter cheap because all the underage buy rice and all the boomers buy pigfat

turbines get less efficient the smaller they get, in a non linear fashion.

horrible emissions.

modern diesels aren't the long lasting low maintenance machines they used to be.

hydrogen fuel cell cars are hybrids, technically.

since they have to have a battery pack for regen and to store energy made by the fuel cells.