EBay General - returns and losses edition

ebay general

professional ebayer here, this week has been real crap.

>person buys 3ft HDMI cable, 4.98 on 10/31
>today, 11/12, initiates return request, doesnt bother speaking to me directly
>reason: "changed my mind, it's too short"
>mfw idiot didn't get rough idea of length needed

told him i can refund minus shipping and fees and he can keep it, or return it for a complete refund. I'm hoping it sways him to partial and keeps the item, as that will allow me the least amount of loss.

>person buys bracelet on friday (4th)
>deliver item to post office myself with ~10 other packages on the following Monday, as outlined in listing I ship mon-fri
>person asks for refund tonight (11th), "I needed this by the 8th. The tracking says a label was made but nothing has been shipped yet"
>peek at tracking, literally seconds before i checked it updated with its first info - "parcel received"
>usps lost the fucking package all this time
>may wind up having to let her keep the item to avoid a neg

I assume she called usps trying to find out whats going on and it caused a case to be opened and thus started moving

I fucking hate usps because of this kind of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident#Models_for_real-world_research
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

jesus christ do I fucking hate paypal. been trying to print a label off-and-on for the past day. When I try to calculate shipping it gives me an error code, which I google only to find a bunch of other confused users who can't find what the code means. on the rare attempt that I calculate shipping, it fails when I try to pay for the label and I get another error code with the same results.

eBay buyer here, returned two laptops in the past week cos they weren't EXACTLY what I wanted. Bet the sellers were pissed about it :^)

how do I into professional ebay?

kill yourself and make a request in your will and last testament that strangers piss on your gravesite annually

This is why you don't ship stuff in small packages famalam

I've bought 2 items the past 6 weeks over £40.

Kitchenware for £125. Lost in post. (Suprise suprise)

Used basic laptop for £49.99. Lost in post (Suprise suprise). Oh look it's back for sale with a BIN of £69.99. I'll watch that mother fucker and buy it again if it drops under £49.99.

I bought some garden vegetables seeds from China. Finally got around to using them, bought about 20 varieties. 15 varieties are all the same fucking weed whatever the fuck it is. As for the peppers, I got 2 germinations from 4 packs of 20 seeds. I bet they're the same fucking peppers too. How do I go about getting my money back when it was 1 year ago?

Fucking chinese seller said they'd refund postage just to ship it and provide receipt. Now refuse to provide postage ebay won't do anything. The one time I couldn't be fucked going through ebay and assuming the seller would do be good and send a replacement. Just wanted a battery that didn't expand.

i had something like this happen once-

by chance was this a multi qty listing in ebay, and while one sold, the listing got flagged by ebay and removed?

if that happens the one that sold will get trapped in a state of limbo where you can't print labels for it. Solution - click "repring shipping label" on an item you've already sold, shipped, and gotten feedback for (that way the buyer of that item isnt still looking at the transaction and see a new tracking connected)

change the buyers information from the old item's buyer to your new item. That will allow ur shipping label to be made. not sure what happens to seller protection in that though

>How do I get money back when it was 1 year ago

you don't.

>buy stuff on ebay
>they don't come in under 45 days
>I open up ticket
>get refunded
>seller asks me to send him the money if the item ever arrives
>item arrives the next day
>i keep the money

Keep up the good work user
If you waited 45 days its highly likely its just someone trying to drop ship
Chink stuff should stay on alibaba

ive shipped a bunch of 1TB SSDs in duck brand 6x9 bubble mailers.

zero returns/complaints so far.

I still sell a lot on ebay and amazon but this is why I hate this shit. Honestly, it's the $5 items that people flip nuclear shit over.

Sold $800+ items, even sometimes some $1200 items. Mostly electronics. Literally not one question before or after. I'd expect 1001 questions. Will it work with X, does it have Y, does it include Z, I want to make this work with etc, etc etc... nothing.

Meanwhile sometimes sell a $5, $10 item.
>OMG IT DOESN'T FIT, I'M SUING. FUCK YOU, FUCK EBAY!!!!!!! GIVE ME RETURN ADDRESS RIGHT NOW

If I only spent $5 on something and it didn't work out, I wouldn't even bother.

this is why i only deal in big ticket items $100+

sometimes i will sell shit as low as $20, but no lower. usually SD cards.
I sell things that there is zero wiggle room on. PS4 controllers, Xbox/PS4 games, Computer components. Shit where it will either work, or it doesnt. none of this "OMG I DIDNT KNOW IT WOULD DO X, Y, BUT NOT Z!"

generally, if someone is willing to spend close to $300 on a SSD drive, its a good bet they know exactly what the fuck they are buying, and how to use it.

hmmm i was pretty good at running the WoW auction house, i should try this

You should, it's almost exactly like the WoW auction house, to a somewhat shocking level.
Actually, a lot of WoW is a mirror to real-life: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident#Models_for_real-world_research

You even have the faggots that snipe most of the good stuff, "barons" that have markets cornered, and so on.

It can be fun, I suggest looking at ebay's shipping supplies, they're the cheapest I've found so far. Do some research on how to sell and what you're doing before you jump in.

Oh, and don't -ever- start auctions off at loss prices.

op here, pro ebayer etc

while it would have been good of you to pay him, i cant blame you for not. I wouldn't either and dont think you should feel bad about it at all (if you even do)

ya, i know. every time i ship something small i cringe and realize the danger that might come. Honestly thought this one would have been fine due to the rigidness of the item.

Normally if its something small or thin i fold up a few sheets of computer paper to give it some rigidness.

still no excuse for them though, never had this type of issue with any other post offices before.

as a kid I played a lot of Diablo 2, became addicted to it due to its trade system and the economy that grew therein. Later played wow a little due to a friend and got into running the auction house more than anything else

when i started selling on ebay i too realized how similar it is, i think that's why i like to do it, it's like a game to me.

The rush you get when you try out a new product and you sell it for 2x or more than what you paid. shit feels good.

Im looking sell an Xbox one controller for windows, i paid 80 its in excellent condition so i want to get at least 40. Does that mean people have to bid on it and then i have to sell it to whoever got closest to 40 or should i put a buy it now price?

a legit microsoft brand or a 3rd party that just looks like an xbox controller?

i ask because 80 dollars seems really really high, but I don't play games much anymore so I could be wrong and thats normal price

either way, general rules:

1. auctions will sell faster (assuming you have a starting price a little below going rate)

2. BIN's can result in larger profit margins, but you'll potentially sit on it for a while

my advice would be to do your research for that exact item in in sold listings, look at the highest sell, lowest sell, and all those inbetween, figure out what the average price is for them.

from there, decide if you're willing to chance getting less to move it fast, or really want as much as you can and accept waiting. If you barely/casually sell stuff and don't have a constant stream of traffic/product i'd probably say auction, just to get it done and over with

>buy a 1080
>doesnt work
>call for refund because its DoA
>get money back and keep it
>i actually just plugged it in wrong

I ended up using USPS's miserable website to print the label. It was like $1 extra, but whatever.

cuck

Where to buy cheap things to resell on ebay?
Alibaba?

i have yet to encounter it, but is the chargeback issue as bad as ive read?

How is selling cheap stuff on eBay viable when PayPal rapes you?

>2 months ago
>selling things on mercadolivre (brazilian version of ebay)
>sell a pack with 10 broken mobiles with NO chargers
>a woman buys it
>bad feeling about her
>2 days after she receives the pack she opens a return request telling the mobiles arrived with no chargers
MOTHERFUCKER BITCH, I TOLD THEY HAD NO CHARGERS!

I just sell broken things to avoid the average buyer and just sell things to technicians and even tho i have this kind of problem. (No, i do not rip anyone off)

if any of you lads are still here I'd like to ask as a complete newbie to buying/selling in general because I'd really like to get into it myself

I really liked the comparison to the WoW AH and was curious, is ebay the best place to start with all of this? What about other sites like alibaba or amazon or whatever else is commonly used

>selling in eBay
More like scambay

FBA is the way to go

>motherfucker bitch

serves you right pajeet

>sell vintage watches on ebay
>usually sell three to four items a week
>sales declined by mid October
>now I'm selling one or two items every other week

SOS pls help

its called Christmas, and most people by mid-Oct begin hoarding money to save up for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

try smoking less weed Gary

not into ebay but this seems like a good place to ask
how do i into FBA? seems like good money but it looks to be saturated with competition
are there still good niches out there where i might have 1 or 2 competitors tops?

>auctions
Can you hear me all the way back in 1999? Auctions have been fucked since Donahoe started those visibility games with Cassini.

Holy shit sales are deader than a dead ded ded ded.

What the shit, I've been doing this for almost 2 years, and this is the slowest its been in a long time.

WoW AH is what got me into this as well. Its weird how much of it is applicable IRL.

Ausfag here. Had a funny story the other week

>customer buys item from me on saturday evening
>sunday rolls around and he asks why i haven't shipped the item yet (pic related)
>post it monday
>thursday rolls around and is very angry that his parcel hasn't arrived
>Claims i'm fucking with him because i only live 1 hour away from him
>i look into it, we're actually on the other side of the country to each other, which explains why the post took longer to get to him
>he was a dimwit who mistook the name of my town for one very close to him (mine ended in an I, the one near him ended in a Y, otherwise the same name)
>customer flags it with eBay
>eBay ask me why i didn't post it within 24 hours (pic related again)
>Tell eBay i've done everything right and even provided a tracking number which was readily available to him and i also sent him tracking via message when i posted so he can see where auspost are at with his item
>day later package marked as delivered, ask eBay to close case and they said they are waiting on him to confirm
>proceed to wait out the full time for the case to expire and close

i know what you're all thinking, "user, no customer can be THAT stupid can they?" and the answer almost every eBay seller will tell you is yes, yes they fucking can.

But eBay really is a shitty platform to sell on, they're all about fucking the seller in the ass while eating out the customers ass, had i not sent the item with a tracking number i'd have lost my money no questions asked, this is why i'm so glad i changed my structure and only ship tracked, sure it hurts some of my sales because of increased cost of item but at the same time i haven't had eBay refund a single cent for any claims made against me since, and good customers see the value in paying for a tracking number, they're the customers i want.

Also thinking about importing shit from china to sell on shore, any other eBayers do something like this and have any experiences to share?

It can be, but I've only run into it a few times in several thousand items, Work with PayPal, I've never lost a chargeback.
Fucking stupid customers are the bane of my existance.

In the past 2 weeks, I've had 2 or 3 ask me to ship same day late Friday.

Motherfuck this is the weekend bitch.

Chinese shit is shit. Don't even think of selling it.

unfortunately we live in an age of entitlement, people want it and they want it RIGHT NOW! and unfortunately eBay panders to that mentality which doesn't help.

As i say to everyone who bitches about it, if you don't wanna wait for it then go into a retail store and pay 20-50% more for it to have it here and now, if you want it cheaper than have some god damn patience.

>buy new PS3 through eBay
>10 days without shipment
>contact seller
>seller apologizes for the delay
>4 days without shipment
>tired of this shit
>request a refund
>open a claim with eBay since no progress in shipment for 2 weeks
>seller refunds me in full
>a week later, eBay refunds me
>doubled my money

Neat.

Congrats, FYI eBay does see this, and you will be suspended if you "abuse" buyer protection.

extensionisbrokenthisisaspacingline
>Customer buys item for parts & not working.
>Starts return request, claiming defective.
>Customer resells item to someone else claiming it works fine, and they couldn't use it, even sells for double.
>Ask them WTF m8 what is going on?
>Get eBay case closed in my favor.
>Customer responds days later, makes up another story.
>Tell customer wat a shit.
>Customer responds again, saying 'dont talk to me or my son ever again BS'
>Send them message saying they're rekt, quit lying.
>Report them to ic3.gov, and USPIS for felony mail fraud.
>Customer sends me another email, claiming they reported me to eBay, PayPal, USPS ?? and my "local police"
>Call local police, no reports in my name or business, customer is full of shit.
>Call customer's local PD, file a police report with an officer for harassment, fraud.

I'm so goddamn sick of these lunatic customers.

Buy shit on monoprice in bulk, turn around and sell for ~$2-3 margin on ebay

But Monoprice sells their own stuff on eBay?